Maria is one of the main characters in Silent Hill 2. She accompanies the protagonist James throughout different points during the game. She is physically identical to Mary, James' late wife, but has a more edgy personality. At times she seems to channel Mary's persona, and like Mary she suffers from an unspecified illness. As the game goes on her illness makes her less energetic and she becomes dark and moody. Near the end of the game it becomes clear Maria is a creation of Silent Hill, given form by James' desperation to see Mary again. Her outcome depends on subtle choices the player makes throughout the game, and can range from leaving Silent Hill with James to being transformed into the final boss.
- James, honey... Did something happen to you? After we got separated in that long hallway? Are you confusing me with someone else?
*laughs* You were always so forgetful... Remember that time in the hotel... You said you took everything... But you forgot that videotape we made. I wonder if it's still there... I'm not your Mary.
- My name... is Maria. I don't look like a ghost. Do I? See? Feel how warm I am.
- I'm all alone here. Everyone else is gone... I look like Mary, don't I? You loved her, right? Or maybe you hated her...
- James, I wanna ask you something. What if... what if you can't find Mary? What will you do?
- Anyway"!? What do you mean "Anyway"!? You don't sound very happy to see me. I was almost killed back there! Why didn't you try to save me? All you care about is that dead wife of yours! I've never been so scared in my whole life! You couldn't care less about me, could you?
- Then stay with me! Don't ever leave me alone! You're supposed to take care of me!
- I never met her before. I just feel sorry for her. She's all alone... And for some reason... I feel like it's up to me to protect her.