Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Kart 7

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 04, 2011

The first stereoscopic 3D edition of the premiere Kart Racing series starring Nintendo's famous mascots and the seventh home release in the franchise (ninth overall). It has a new first-person mode and kart customizations.

Mario Kart 7 Review.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo

It looks like 7 is not always a lucky number, as I am for the first time actually disappointed with a Mario Kart game. But before I start rambling about what went wrong, I would like to first point out the positives.

Peachy!
    Peachy!

I really liked the originality, design, visuals and layout of some of the tracks like Piranha Plant Slide, Rainbow Road, Shy Guy Bazaar, DK Jungle, Music Park, Bowser’s Castle and Wario’s Shipyard. The new Rainbow Road is definitely the best and most amazing Rainbow Road in the Mario Kart series as it reminded me of the Super Mario Galaxy franchise. The other tracks that I listed were definitely courses that made me smile, which makes me want to go back right now and race them again! The Battle Mode is tons of fun and the same as always (but no Block Fort. = ‘- ( ). The new cockpit racing system was definitely a change for Mario Kart, adding something that was already done in other racing games… Anyways, the music definitely stands out in this game making this installment of Mario Kart the most unique for its effort in music and remixes. You just might have to take a listen to the music for yourself. ;-) The new items such as the Tanooki Tail and the Fire Flower were well overdue, and the whole item selection is superb. There is a good number of racing courses (The retro courses being my favorite, of course!) to keep you occupied for a little while.

It was so hard trying to hold back on the negatives, and now I am about to blow. First of all, why on earth did the Wuhu Island courses come to Mario Kart, and why are there two? Mario and his gang were not even in Wii Sports Resort. Having two courses that was dedicated to Wii Sports Resort made the game feel like it was not Mario Kart at all, though you can unnecessarily race as your Mii. One Wuhu Island course would probably be enough for a Mii Course, but no more! Also, the two Wuhu Island courses and Rainbow Road did not need to be divided up into sections, as it would have been better to just stick with the traditional 3 laps around. Dividing up the courses into sections made me feel like it took a shorter time to get to the end of the race, which absolutely disgusted me.

Mario Kart 7 has had some strange names for courses as well, even Mario Kart 7 is a strange name by itself. Among the worst names was Neo Bowser City and Rosalina’s Ice World. I would have preferred Vanilla (World, Loop, Lake, Sea) more than the unoriginal name of Rosalina’s Ice World. A course dedicated towards Rosalina was not necessary. Neo Bowser City looks alright and designed ok, but where did this idea come from? The closest thing to Neo Bowser City was Neon Heights in Mario Party 7 (how ironic). Thing is, Neo Bowser City didn’t look like any city that Bowser would take over… it’s stupid.

The glider and the underwater racing did very little in the game play. While the ideas where cleverly integrated into some of the games courses, I felt like it was unnecessary. I don’t think the concepts of gliding and underwater submarine driving (without a scuba suit mind you) will come about in the next Mario Kart… and it better not!! I forgot to mention snaking… enough said about that!

The character selection is weak. Characters like Birdo, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, King Boo, Toadette, and Waluigi's not in Mario Kart 7, so that is a letdown (Dry Bones especially). Characters like the Honey Queen (From Super Mario Galaxy), Lakitu, Metal Mario, Shy Guy, and Wiggler take these characters places it seems. Strange, am I right?

The Great Boggly Woods from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
    The Great Boggly Woods from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

There could have been other ideas that could have made this a better Mario Kart. Though there were some courses that were filled with Mario flare, there could have been more original ideas. I feel like they could have pulled a course or four from the Paper Mario Franchise, the Mario VS. Donkey Kong Franchise, the Super Mario Galaxy Franchise (Better integrated than what was provided), and the Mario and Luigi Franchise. Examples: Sweet Sweet Galaxy, The Great Boggly Woods, Magnet Mania (Mario VS. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!).

Despite my pet peeves on Mario Kart 7, there is still good content. The track design is pretty nice overall, which means that you’ll have decent races whether you are playing by yourself, online or with friends. If you are expecting originality in this game, don’t keep your hopes up too much. The differences and the negatives in Mario Kart 7 are too noticeable, and I think it really hurts this franchise. Mario Kart 7 is a good example of bad decisions, which makes Mario Kart 7 the black sheep of all Mario Karts. It still is a good game… but barely.

3.5/5 Stars. Review also here: http://www.giantbomb.com/mario-kart-7/61-31747/user-reviews/?review_id=21466

Edit: The score was changed because I wouldn't give a game like this 60%. 70% is more accurate.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

Wiggler is in it? Best Mario Kart game.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By TehFlan

I don't know how I feel about no Waluigi, but

@DonChipotle said:

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tireyo

@TehFlan said:

I don't know how I feel about no Waluigi, but

@DonChipotle said:

I think that Wiggler and Shy Guy were good necessary additions.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I love Waluigi. For shame Nintendo.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nick_verissimo

I hear that Metal Mario dude is way hardcore. He's, like, best friend's with Cannibal Corpse and Eddie from Iron Maiden.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MideonNViscera

haha

@Tireyo643 said:

Dividing up the courses into sections made me feel like it took a shorter time to get to the end of the race, which absolutely disgusted me.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tireyo

@MideonNViscera: You definitely been there! Hehe.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tacoboy1986

@Tireyo643: I haven't played a Mario Kart game since the original SNES back in the day. Would you recommend it to someone like me? I'm looking for more games for my 3DS.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

I agree to an extent. They should have had all the characters from the older games, plus the new ones. It's missing features when compared to Mario Kart DS. Where is the Mission Mode and Quick Race mode? Where is the Emblem Creator at? I didn't mind the Wuhu Island track, but the second one wasn't needed at all. Also, some of the tracks aren't crazy like they were in Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart DS had a great set of tracks and the Mario Kart 7 tracks can be kinda dull when compared to it. I will say that the online is the best for the series so far, even though it's not perfect.

Overall it's still a fun game and I'm having a blast with the online. Easily the best online 3DS game so far.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tireyo

@Tacoboy1986 said:

@Tireyo643: I haven't played a Mario Kart game since the original SNES back in the day. Would you recommend it to someone like me? I'm looking for more games for my 3DS.

I loved the SNES Mario Kart, plus the other 6 Mario Karts afterwards. = - P Yes, I would recommend it to you, but there are things that you'll need to be aware of as Mario Kart has changed a little overtime. The basic idea of the franchise is still there.

1. Multi-player online is unforgiving, so start out with the 50CC single player and work your way up till you are familiar with the tracks and can race 100CC fairly well, and then do your best with 150CC. I'm sure you know how that goes. The online races act like 150CC, so you won't win each time, unless you like to snake around like the Japanese. LOL!! I think snaking is unfair, as you can tell

2. Learn how to drift! The "right trigger" button will be your friend. When turning, hold the "right trigger" then release for a temporary boost.

3. There will be more of an off-road feel compared to the SNES Mario Kart, which means that there are a lot more short-cuts.

4. Do not use the cock-pit racing system, unless you are comfortable with the gyro-sensor and the cock-pit view. Otherwise, stay away from it or you'll be cussing at the game!

5. Practice and have fun!

Just remember that it doesn't hurt to try things, even though you may not be sure that you'll like it. When The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time came out, I was very much uninterested. I didn't think that I would like it. About a year or three... after Wind Waker came out, I got OoT at a flea market for $10. Turned out to be one of my most favorite games ever. Then all the other Zelda games that I missed and what Zelda games have come out though the years just helped me add to the collection! So risks can turn out to be the most enjoyable things that you can come across.

Also, I did end up beating OoT, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.

The decision is up to you now. I recommend that you get more than one opinion considering that you've only played the SNES Mario Kart. Good Luck! Let me know if you get it.

@JJOR64 said:

I agree to an extent. They should have had all the characters from the older games, plus the new ones. It's missing features when compared to Mario Kart DS. Where is the Mission Mode and Quick Race mode? Where is the Emblem Creator at? I didn't mind the Wuhu Island track, but the second one wasn't needed at all. Also, some of the tracks aren't crazy like they were in Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart DS had a great set of tracks and the Mario Kart 7 tracks can be kinda dull when compared to it. I will say that the online is the best for the series so far, even though it's not perfect.

Overall it's still a fun game and I'm having a blast with the online. Easily the best online 3DS game so far.

I've been thinking about this real hard, and since I have no obligation to keep the star score the same (as I realize that 3 stars is 60 percent, and I want it at 70%), I'm increasing the score slightly because of the multi-player online. I've had a lot of fun with it too!

I also think that they should of attempted recreating Ribbon Road that was on the GBA. THAT WOULD OF LOOKED AMAZING!!

I'm looking forward to racing you sometime! You'll probably beat the hell out of me, but having fun is what it's all about! = - D

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lavapotamus

I passed on Mario Kart Wii and will probably pass on this one, too. It seems like Nintendo's too comfortable with the franchise, imo -- does anyone else feel like the set quantity of tracks is disappointing, especially when literally half of them are remade to a certain degree? I guess the roster isn't that important consider the cart customization, but half the fun of Mario Kart is the way it implements Mario's universe. Latiku's pretty awesome, but does anyone really want to play as Honey Queen? And as you mentioned, there's a pretty wide selection of Mario Kart characters that have been neglected here. The new items look great, but unless press outlets have been trying to avoid spoiling some in reviews/videos that I've seen, the additions there seem underwhelming as well... 

Reading my own post makes me feel like I'm expecting too much from a Mario Kart sequel. I guess the ratio of recycled content to new offerings in each iteration is what gets me.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tireyo

@Lavapotamus: You are missing out. Despite the negatives, they are both games that are worth getting.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lavapotamus
    @Tireyo643 said:

@Lavapotamus: You are missing out.

Nah, I don't think I am. Considering the immense backlog I've built up for myself and my lack of spare cash/freetime for gaming, I'd like to focus the resources I have on games I'll feel satisfied with. Much of the faults you pointed out with MK 7 sound like things that would significantly bother me -- and even if not, why buy a sequel for a franchise that I've got several other iterations of if it isn't a vast improvement over the past offerings? There seems to be an endless stream of worthwhile indie games to sink some time into, not to mention the season's onslaught of AAA or B-grade games that just released over the past couple months. Skyward Sword is still in its wrapping and Persona 3 just reminded me of why I put 30 hours into it last year...A lukewarm Mario Kart just doesn't seem worthwhile when I could put my time and money towards unique and more fulfilling games. I'm not saying that it's awful or that no one should buy it -- just, personally, the last couple offerings in the series haven't been worth my time.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tireyo

@Lavapotamus: Fair enough.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tacoboy1986

@Tireyo643: I just picked it up and am really enjoying it. I'm glad the 3D aspect of it is subtle. I haven't raced online yet, I want to unlock some more gear and get a little more familiar with the tracks. I also find the drifting very satisfying. I'm glad I picked it up. I can't wait to race against my fellow duders.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tireyo

@Tacoboy1986 said:

@Tireyo643: I just picked it up and am really enjoying it. I'm glad the 3D aspect of it is subtle. I haven't raced online yet, I want to unlock some more gear and get a little more familiar with the tracks. I also find the drifting very satisfying. I'm glad I picked it up. I can't wait to race against my fellow duders.

Very good!!

When you're ready to race online, don't forget to register me as you're MK7 friend. Share your code in this thread: http://www.giantbomb.com/mario-kart-7/61-31747/official-mario-kart-7-community-thread/35-526986/#65 And here's my code: 0516 - 7434 - 7572 -- I go by Ty.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TentPole

Your complaints are the complaints of a crazy person.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Join my Campaign for a return to Double Dash standards - 2 Plumbers, 1 Kart

No Caption Provided
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tireyo

@TentPole said:

Your complaints are the complaints of a crazy person.

AH!! So we have met before! Absolutely delightful. Are you crazy too?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.