Mario Kart Tour is a 3D free-to-play third-person kart racing game developed by Nintendo EPD and released by Nintendo for iOS and Android devices on September 25, 2019.
A spin-off of the Mario Kart series, Mario Kart Tour brings the standard Mario Kart experience to mobile devices, optimizing the game for touchscreen controls (with optional gyroscopic handling) and shorter replayable races.
As a modern free-to-play mobile game, the game has numerous differences from its source material, such as a new gacha system for acquiring drivers, karts, and gliders (each of which can be upgraded and now give specific course bonuses), multiple in-game currencies (Coins and Rubies, the latter of which can be bought with real money), and new persistent experience point system.
Unlike previous Mario Kart games, Tour does not have a "Grand Prix" mode. Instead, players progress through seasonal "Tours", each with numerous four-course "Cups" (the last of which is a simple challenge). Each course can be progressed (and revisited) at their own pace, with courses appearing in multiple Cups. Players unlock "Stars" based on how many points they earned in each race, which is used to unlock new Cups and bonus content.
Online multiplayer is planned in a future release. In addition, the game has an online leaderboard and ranking system for specific rotating Cup.
A closed beta was released for Android devices from May 22, 2019 to June 5, 2019.
Most of the drivers from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe return (among new characters), although they are no longer split into multiple weight classes. Instead, with the game's new gacha system, characters are split into rarities and must be unlocked beforehand.
Each driver has their own special item that they can find in item boxes and, in addition, have multiple "favored courses" that increase the amount of items they receive in an item box while they are racing on a particular course. The maximum amount of items received from a "favored course" bonus is three, which can also give the racer a random chance of earning a "Frenzy" in item boxes (giving them an infinite amount of a random item for a short amount of time).
- Baby Mario (Boomerang Flower)
- Baby Peach (Bubble)
- Baby Daisy (Bubble)
- Koopa Troopa (Triple Green Shells)
- Shy Guy (Double Bob-ombs)
- Dry Bones (Triple Green Shells)
- Baby Rosalina (Bubble) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Iggy (Triple Green Shells) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Larry (Boomerang Flowers) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Lemmy (Bubble) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Ludwig (Dash Ring) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Morton (Giant Banana) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Roy (Double Bob-ombs) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Wendy (Heart) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Baby Luigi (Boomerang Flower) - Removed from beta version.
- Mario (Fire Flower)
- Peach (Heart)
- Yoshi (Yoshi's Egg)
- Daisy (Heart)
- Toad (Triple Mushrooms)
- Toadette (Triple Mushrooms)
- Bowser (Bowser's Shell)
- Donkey Kong (Giant Banana)
- Diddy Kong (Banana Barrels)
- Rosalina (Dash Ring) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Lakitu (Triple Green Shells) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Bowser Jr. (Bowser's Shell) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Wario (Double Bob-ombs) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Luigi (Fire Flower) - Removed from beta version.
- Waluigi (Double Bob-ombs) - Removed from beta version.
- Pauline (Lucky Seven)
- Mario (Musician) (Double Bob-ombs)
- Peach (Kimono) (Mushroom Cannon) - Added on October 9, 2019.
- Mario (Hakama) (Coin Box) - Added on October 9, 2019.
The initial release of the game included 11 courses, most of which are from previous games in the Mario Kart series. In addition to racing them normally, all courses can be played in reverse (R) or with alternate obstacles (T). Some courses combine both changes (R/T).
Unlike previous games in the series, courses may appear in multiple Cups (with each Cup having 3 courses and 1 "challenge" race).
- New York Minute - Also includes an "R/T" course.
- Tokyo Blur - Added on October 9, 2019. Also includes an "R/T" course.
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
- N64 Koopa Troopa Beach
- N64 Kalimari Desert - Added on October 9, 2019.
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- GCN Yoshi Circuit
- GCN Dino Dino Jungle
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 7
- 3DS Toad Circuit
- 3DS Daisy Hills
- 3DS Cheep Cheep Lagoon
- 3DS Shy Guy Bazaar
- 3DS Rock Rock Mountain
- 3DS Mario Circuit - Added on October 9, 2019.
- 3DS Neo Bowser City - Added on October 9, 2019.