Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 29, 2017

Ubisoft's first major collaboration with Nintendo brings the Mario and Rabbids series together in a crossover tactical turn-based RPG. They gave Mario a laser gun.

How is Mario + Rabbids?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll How is Mario + Rabbids? (124 votes)

⭐️ 0%
    ⭐️⭐️ 3%
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️ 18%
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 38%
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 6%
    Show me the poll. 35%

Hey, I got a Switch very recently and this is a game I’m very curious about. I love Valkyria Chronicles and mostly love XCOM:EU but I’m not completely sold on M+R yet.

The sense I got was that it made quite the impression initially but players didn’t find the depth a good one of these have further they got into the game. I could be wrong on that but enthusiasms for the game did seem to peter out and I wondered why.

What do you think about this game? What’s good, what’s bad? Please no spoilers if there are any.

Thanks.

• 
    gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It's fine. It's a bit too liberal with movement for my taste (the characters can run and tackle and jump really far compared to XCOM), but it's a perfectly decent tactics game. I also enjoyed the puzzles outside of the combat. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: lol it’s fine, 4/5 stars?

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gkhan

@liquiddragon said:

@gkhan: lol it’s fine, 4/5 stars?

Yeah. It's fine. It's a good game without any major problems, but it's not going to rock your world. 4/5 stars :)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I’m not quite sold on this game. Ppl score using their brain but speak from the heart.

I see this happen every year. Some games will review well but if you listen to the conversation, it doesn’t add up why. I think ppl still have a hard time scoring a functioning polished game a low score even if it doesn’t have “it.”

Not sure if M+R falls in this category but I notice it a lot with major releases.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It’s fine. I think it’s fun enough, but it gets more demanding than fun. It feels like there are calculated runs that could get you through the game, as RNG is a minimal part of combat. Combat plays out more like a puzzle (to make up for this?).

I also don’t like the overworld and find the Rabbid characters generally obnoxious, aside from Rabbid Mario, who seems like an alright dude.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@liquiddragon: I feel like hype has gotten out of hand, lately:

- Mario vs. Rabbids

- Mario Tennis

- Horizon going from hysteric hype to forgotten a month later when Zelda came out and by several accounts, made Horizon feel immediately antiquated.

I’ve held off on God of War so far as 1) I don’t have a ton of time and 2) I just can’t trust the universal day one praise any more. It looks great, but I don’t need to play games day one and I don’t need the extreme hype influencing me.

It feels like people get super excited for the flavor of the week. I guess we always have, but for some reason it feels less earned...maybe I’m just older and less invested in games...

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

The Giant Bomb review covers the story mode pretty well (3/5 stars). But I really enjoyed the ultimate challenge levels after the story. Your team has nearly maxed out capabilities at that point and those levels hold nothing back, so you get to fully explore what's possible with the game's clever gameplay systems. You have to very carefully think through your team composition and each move you make in battle. At first glance, some of those challenge levels look completely crazy and impossible. But then you start trying out some team compositions, working out combo chains, and the possibility of success gradually comes into focus. Finishing those levels really made me appreciate how well designed the combat gameplay was. That was easily my favorite part of the game (5/5 stars).

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

My biggest problem is that it is too long and doesn't have enough going on to justify the length. I really enjoy the combat and tone but after awhile the encounters all kind of bleed together. With the exception of the boss encounters, none of them feel unique after awhile. That said I still enjoyed my time with it and definitely think it's one of the better games on Switch that isn't a remake/rerelease.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

5 stars for me. The perfect balance of tactics without much BS chance getting in the way. Like it's often stated, it can feel like a puzzle at times in terms of how to best the field of enemies, but it never stops feeling like a tactics game where there is a need to adapt and think on the fly.

The humor hit with me real well and out of battle puzzles were enjoyable for the most part, to break up the pace of battle after battle. End game offers great challenge and variation to test player's ability. On top of that, there is now DLC.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not many ppl actually played this huh?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought it. Was fun! Give it 4/5. Not amazing but good waste of time, and dont regret the purchase. Could have been a little deeper in combat.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@liquiddragon: I've just bought the game two days ago. I'm about 3 hours in. It's ok, maybe a little slow for my taste thus far, and I can't play it for long stretches. I do a couple battles and I have to put it down.

Thus far, 3 stars.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: You got 53 votes and a handful of replies on a game that's over a year old and was a hot topic of reception at it's time. People have exhausted what they have to say about the game long before you made this thread.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Na dude, I ask about old(er) games all the time. This game has less than 10 dedicated forum threads and just one of them with a decent amount of replies. I don’t think that many ppl played this, atleast st GB.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: I think making a thread like this, a year after release, has merit. Not everybody plays games as they are released. Lots of people pick them up at a later date and wish to talk about them.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play a lot more games that are over a year old than I do games that came out the current year. No harm in asking for people’s opinions on video games on this video game website.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By haneybd87

The tactical combat is super fun and surprisingly deep, the art style is really amazing in a fun and happy way. The only problem is all the puzzle stuff between the combat sections. I wouldn’t mind that stuff so much if you didn’t just get art and music unlockables 75% of the time. It’s annoying to go through a difficult puzzle and have it just be a song instead of upgrade points. That all said, the puzzle stuff is really my only gripe here and the combat and art style are enough to give this 4/5. This game just puts me into a happy place.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Eh, I talked about it a lot with a bunch of duders on discord.

RAWKPARTEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I’d say rent it or wait for it to be 20 bucks, it’s fun, but didn’t hold my interest for more than a few levels.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think it's a decent game that goes on way too long. At times it felt less like a tactical RPG and more like a puzzle game, which I found to be pretty cool. But once I got to the third world I had very little desire to actually pick that game up and play it again. It's not that it was bad or anything. It was just hella repetitive.

Honestly every time I played it I ended up thinking, "Man, I should play Xcom again."

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was great. It can feel like it drags a little but I broke up my time with it largely into bursts of a few levels every other day. There are some very memorable moments in that game (the opera boss battle in particular) and I would recommend it to anyone with a Switch and interest in the genre.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.