Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 29, 2017

Ubisoft's first major collaboration with Nintendo brings the Mario and Rabbids series together in a crossover tactical turn-based RPG. They gave Mario a laser gun.

I just got the game, surprise early delivery!

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I just got this game, looking forward to firing it up in a little bit.

I guess I can try to answer questions if people are curious!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is it worth digging up my Switch before Mario oddysey for this or is it just another filler game?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nicksmi56

Awesome! I like what I've seen of this game so far. I guess my only question would be how is it?

EDIT: Also, without spoilers, are the worlds decently sized? When I heard there were only four worlds, I raised an eyebrow.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd be interested in general impressions. That there are no early reviews makes me think it's probably serviceable, but unremarkable.

A few more specific questions:

1. Is there a story (like a real story, not a Mario story)?

2. How does it run? Does it hitch and stutter?

3. How's the combat? I assume it's not as deep as X-COM, but does it feel like you have lots of options to deal with enemies?

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron:

Hey I got it early too so in answer to two of your questions (I'm not good with how stuff runs type questions, I've not noticed any glaring issues though at least)

The story actually caught me by surprise to be honest since (without spoiling it) it starts off practically unrelated to Nintendo or the rabbids, I mean it's no Last of Us but I'm surprised they put so much thought into why and how this is all happening. There are a lot of little cutscenes which are quite funny and the world has a lot of cool details and scenes playing out in the background you can look at. It's very charming and it feels like they put a lot more work into the story and world than they needed to to be honest.

The combat seems pretty deep to me at least, I'm only on world one but there have been three varieties of enemies not including the bosses and there is a lot to take into account on the battlefield itself with pipes and destructible cover, using higher ground to your advantage. The skill tree lets you spec characters in a way to suit you as well, for example you can use the Peach rabbid as a healer if you want to go down that path or Luigi has a sentry turret type thing (it's kind of a bomb on wheels) You must pick a team of three so there's quite a bit of variation in who you pick and what strategy you prefer. Seems like there are a good amount of weapons and secondary weapons too. I've not played Xcom so take what I say as you will but I'm surprised how much they've put into it, I'm just before the boss on world one and if you are aiming for perfect scores the game can be pretty tough even.

The music is great too, some nice variations on the classic Mario themes but there is enough new stuff so it doesn't seem like they are overly depending on it. I'm really enjoying it in general so far, great fun.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only played about an hour so far. Some brief impressions before I go back to it:

- Story seems about what you would expect from the Mario RPG series in terms of amount of story (maybe a little less dialogue) and lighthearted writing

- Looks and sounds great. Runs smoothly.

- Combat is as expected. A lighter, more streamlined XCOM. For example, No cover is 100% chance to hit, Half Cover is 50% chance to hit and Full Cover is 0% chance to hit. However, it does seem like the characters are pretty different and there's a decent variety of weapons, skills, enemies, etc.

- I am enjoying the dashing, jumping off allies and then shooting stuff. The pipes and other environmental items give you even more options. Makes battles feel fast paced and bitesize in a good way (especially for the switch where I want to play a battle or two on a train journey)

- Looking forward to trying whatever the Co-op is, hopefully something light that I can play with my girlfriend.

Back to playing!

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

How's the difficulty? Are there difficulty options? My main concern with this game is that it'll be way too easy.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

How's everything outside of the combat encounters? Anything there to engage in meaningfully (i.e. not just effortless coin collecting)?

Avatar image for tigerface_killah
    Tigerface_Killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage: I'd really like to know this as well. I'm sold on everything I've seen of the game, but if it's too easy, I don't see the gameplay holding my attention for very long.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought XCOM 2 on sale. I quickly remembered why I don't like these types of games when I was point blank in an alien's face with 90% hit chance and completely missed causing my solider to get killed.

I assume this game has that as well? Also, yes, I'm bad at these games. But Mario+Rabbids looks quite charming (surprisingly).

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: No it doesn't, if you are right next to an enemy or there is a clear shot then the chance is always 100% (at least where I am currently, there maybe shielded enemies or something later in the game which could effect this)

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eidderf said:

@handlas: No it doesn't, if you are right next to an enemy or there is a clear shot then the chance is always 100% (at least where I am currently, there maybe shielded enemies or something later in the game which could effect this)

90% point blank missed. I dunno what you want me to tell you? I'm a liar.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eidderf

@handlas: No, sorry I meant in Mario + Rabbids

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

@eidderf said:

Oh lol... okay sorry. I compeltely misunderstood what you said. Then that makes me wanna buy this game more. I could go for a more casual version of XCOM.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say its been challenging that far. The World 1 mid-boss fight I restarted because I wanted to get the perfect bonus and one of my characters died so there is that. I can see it getting more difficult as it goes especially as you can 'EASY MODE' all the fights which restores your characters to full health before the fight starts and makes it a easier I think (not tried it).

The game is basically 75% the combat which seems good and 25% exploring the world. The exploration isn't difficult at all but it looks nice and theres some light puzzle solving stuff to get chests that contain collectibles like concept art, models and music in the Museum but also new weapons. The game even has areas with collecting 8 red coins which will get you a chest and blue coin collecting within a time limit bonus areas you get to by going into tron-looking cannons.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

As head on XCOM 2, Jake Solomon, was wondering I now ask in his name: How do they handle autopsies?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By doctordonkey

@zevvion: Dr. E Gadd sucks their innards out with his vacuum and processes it for research. It's all very clean, really.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard this is like xcom without base building. I only like the boots on the ground stuff in xcom, so I'm probably getting this tomorrow (plus, using a $20 gift card I have so that's nice).

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@handlas said:
    @eidderf said:

Oh lol... okay sorry. I compeltely misunderstood what you said. Then that makes me wanna buy this game more. I could go for a more casual version of XCOM.

According to Gamespot's review, the odds of hitting are either 100%, 50%, or 0%. So it's always a sure hit/miss or a coin toss.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@savage said:

How's the difficulty? Are there difficulty options? My main concern with this game is that it'll be way too easy.

From the reviews I've read, Normal mode can get rather hard (there's an Easy mode to take the edge off), and once you beat a World, you can revisit it and tackle harder Challenge battles.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm so looking forward to this, mine is here this week, coincidently X-Com 2 expansions drops tomorrow too.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Is Rayman in it :( ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.