Favourite Mario game of all time?

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for limewizard
#1 Posted by limewizard (236 posts) -

For me, it has to be Sunshine. I played the hell out of that.
 
What about you?

Avatar image for willy105
#2 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

Paper Mario 64.

Avatar image for archscabby
#3 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

Super Mario World.

Avatar image for thegreatguero
#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (8881 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3 is my choice.

Avatar image for bucketdeth
#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8252 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World.

Avatar image for scooper
#6 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -

/Thread
/Thread
Avatar image for pie
#7 Posted by Pie (7309 posts) -

Paper mario fool!

Avatar image for cadmus
#8 Edited by Cadmus (305 posts) -

mario golf on the gbc

Avatar image for willy105
#9 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

Is Super Mario Bros. 3 really that good? I own it, and I think it's the worst main Mario game ever made.

Avatar image for siphillis
#10 Edited by Siphillis (1353 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy.  Hands down my favorite game of all time.  It capitalized on both Mario's established pedigree, while taking the three dimensional series where it needed to go, in a time where platformers appeared dead or abandoned.  It also rekindled my interest in video games, which has sent my wallet back hundred of dollar since.

Avatar image for thehbk
#11 Edited by TheHBK (5670 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

" Is Super Mario Bros. 3 really that good? I own it, and I think it's the worst main Mario game ever made. "

Holy crap, this is probably one of the worst posts ever made.  I know its an opinion and everything, but can anyone deny the awesomeness of SMB3?
 
For me its Super Mario World and then SMB3 in a close second.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
#12 Edited by Emandudeguyperson (2749 posts) -

Hotel Mario.

Avatar image for fiestaunicorn
#13 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1673 posts) -

Any answer that isn't Super Mario World is wrong.  And yes your opinions can be wrong.  Example:  Super Mario World isn't the best Mario.
Avatar image for mysteriousbob
#14 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" Mario Hotel. "
I think you mean Hotel Mario.
Avatar image for dethfish
#15 Edited by Dethfish (3809 posts) -

This
This
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Or This
 Or This
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Or Maybe This
Or Maybe This
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 Hmm?
 Hmm?
Avatar image for physik
#16 Posted by Physik (38 posts) -
@FiestaUnicorn said:
" Any answer that isn't Super Mario World is wrong.  And yes your opinions can be wrong.  Example:  Super Mario World isn't the best Mario. "
In that case I say Super Mario Galaxy.
Avatar image for siphillis
#17 Posted by Siphillis (1353 posts) -

Apparently, Shigeru Miyamoto was disappointed with Super Mario World, having to force it into market unfinished (which explains why there are ninety six levels instead of the planned one hundred.)

Avatar image for ez123
#18 Posted by ez123 (2145 posts) -

Super Mario World by a pretty good margin.

Avatar image for fiestaunicorn
#19 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1673 posts) -
@Physik said:
" @FiestaUnicorn said:
" Any answer that isn't Super Mario World is wrong.  And yes your opinions can be wrong.  Example:  Super Mario World isn't the best Mario. "
In that case I say Super Mario Galaxy. "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avatar image for danieljw
#20 Posted by DanielJW (4933 posts) -

Super Mario World was awesome. 

Avatar image for citizenkane
#21 Posted by citizenkane (10875 posts) -
Avatar image for agentj
#22 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -
Avatar image for citizenkane
#23 Posted by citizenkane (10875 posts) -
@Dethfish77: Super Mario Kart might just be my favorite racing game of all time.  So much joy and fond memories playing that game.  ^__^
Avatar image for man_flannel
#24 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2472 posts) -

Super Mario World

Avatar image for toxin066
#25 Posted by Toxin066 (3470 posts) -

My favorite Mario of all time will be Super Mario World 7.   My favorite to date? Probably Super Mario Bros 3.

Avatar image for stang
#26 Posted by Stang (4755 posts) -

Super Mario World was awesome, but I have to go with Mario 3. Honestly, I love them all, besides 2. That game still gives me nightmares.

Avatar image for hitchenson
#27 Posted by Hitchenson (4708 posts) -
Avatar image for bones8677
#28 Posted by Bones8677 (3492 posts) -

Super Mario World, it's the first game I played, I think it was at least. I was pretty young at that time.

Avatar image for steve_c
#29 Posted by Steve_C (1768 posts) -

I think I first played a Mario game at my cousins. Super Mario All-Stars. My favourite out of that was SMB3 by far. Love the suits and music.
 
I really didn't like Super Mario World when I played it briefly some time after. It wasn't SMB3, and I wasn't too keen on the sprites and some of the art. Not too sure what it is, but something doesn't connect with me. I need to go back and play through that whole game.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
#30 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3634 posts) -

Super mario bros 3, galaxy, the paper mario on the ngc was cool

Avatar image for rhcpfan24
#31 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8663 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3 is probably the ultimate. Mario 64 is my favorite Mario game probably due to the amount of time I had with it, but SMB3 is soooooo good.

Avatar image for zitosilva
#32 Posted by zitosilva (1890 posts) -

Mario 3. Not only the best Mario, but also the best game ever made.

Avatar image for joey
#33 Posted by joey (1062 posts) -
Avatar image for tranquilchaos
#34 Posted by tranquilchaos (585 posts) -

Mario 64.

Avatar image for griddler
#35 Posted by Griddler (3374 posts) -

Galaxy. It's up there as one of the best games I've ever played.

Avatar image for brunchies
#36 Posted by Brunchies (2501 posts) -

Mine would be Mario 64 and Mario 3. 

Avatar image for shadowking7
#37 Posted by ShadowKing7 (748 posts) -

My personal favorite is the first Super Mario Bros.  So much time spent with that game, so many hours...
Avatar image for marzy
#38 Posted by Marzy (689 posts) -

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, I can't pick.

Avatar image for famov
#39 Posted by Famov (760 posts) -

I hate to be predictable, but Super Mario World is platforming perfected. If SMB 2 is a radical departure from the formula and SMB 3 is a conservative expansion of the original idea (with lost levels simply being SMB 1.5), then Mario World takes the best of both and manages to surpass all four NES titles. What else can I say without sounding so hyperbolic that it becomes nauseating?
Avatar image for tebbit
#40 Posted by Tebbit (4589 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
" Super Mario Galaxy.  Hands down my favorite game of all time.  It capitalized on both Mario's established pedigree, while taking the three dimensional series where it needed to go, in a time where platformers appeared dead or abandoned.  It also rekindled my interest in video games, which has sent my wallet back hundred of dollar since. "
This! That game made me enjoy video games again, after a few years of grey and brown FPS's it's exactly what I needed.
Avatar image for terry_bogard
#41 Posted by Terry_Bogard (308 posts) -

Sunshine =o

Avatar image for captaintightpants
#42 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2831 posts) -

Paper mario  the thousand year old door

Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
#43 Posted by deactivated-589b97df1f8d4 (516 posts) -

Never did like any Mario games, thats just me.
Avatar image for breadfan
#44 Posted by breadfan (6803 posts) -

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for toowalrus
#45 Posted by TooWalrus (13391 posts) -

I'd go with the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros 2. (The Lost Levels).

Avatar image for lydian_sel
#46 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2537 posts) -

Does Wario Land count? It technically was "Super Mario Land 3".

Avatar image for red
#47 Posted by Red (6146 posts) -

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. 
Hell yeah!

Avatar image for willy105
#48 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" @Willy105 said:

" Is Super Mario Bros. 3 really that good? I own it, and I think it's the worst main Mario game ever made. "

Holy crap, this is probably one of the worst posts ever made.  I know its an opinion and everything, but can anyone deny the awesomeness of SMB3?  For me its Super Mario World and then SMB3 in a close second. "
Well, I guess my experience with it did not resemble awesome to me, more like frustration. Super Mario World however, was great.
 
Super Mario Kart is also the worst of the Mario Kart series by far. Sure, ot was awesome when it came out, but after playing the sequels, the first one is just too primitive. And this is from the guy who liked the first Final Fantasy.
Avatar image for thehbk
#49 Posted by TheHBK (5670 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @TheHBK said:
" @Willy105 said:

" Is Super Mario Bros. 3 really that good? I own it, and I think it's the worst main Mario game ever made. "

Holy crap, this is probably one of the worst posts ever made.  I know its an opinion and everything, but can anyone deny the awesomeness of SMB3?  For me its Super Mario World and then SMB3 in a close second. "
Well, I guess my experience with it did not resemble awesome to me, more like frustration. Super Mario World however, was great.  Super Mario Kart is also the worst of the Mario Kart series by far. Sure, ot was awesome when it came out, but after playing the sequels, the first one is just too primitive. And this is from the guy who liked the first Final Fantasy. "
Oh man!  Yes, getting further in the game can make it frustrating.  Especially iin the 8th world where all you have is moving ships, but its so filled with tension.  The bosses are super easy though. 
Please tell us that at least you think its better than Mario Kart 64!  It may seem primitive but only in terms of graphics, music and some driving issues, but it had a lot of good stuff that I hated to see go. 
It had mode 7.  Also, i thought the idea of running over the ? blocks was a good one for the time, and the fact that they would not come back, so once you used one it was red the whole race, and you could end up not getting anything if you used up a good section.  Then the idea of coins and weight, I think the coins made a come back in Super Circuit.  That was a good idea, that you needed coins to go a little faster and not get bumped into spinning out.
Avatar image for meierthered
#50 Posted by MeierTheRed (5333 posts) -

Super Mario Bros 3 was fun. But i also enjoyed Paper Mario on the Gamecube.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.