Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mark of the Ninja

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2012

From the creators of the Shank series comes a 2D stealth game featuring a ninja Champion bearing a magical tattoo that brings great power at a heavy price, in order to bring bloody vengeance against his clan's enemies.

Does this pick up any?

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By C0V3RT

I finally got around to playing Mark of the Ninja. I had pretty high expectations based on how people seemed to receive it. I glanced at a FAQ and I'm about 25% through the game (12 "levels" and I've done 4) and it's just not clicking with me. I feel like I'm the worlds klutziest ninja. I'm at a cross roads where I'm debating moving onto something else and just saying this game just isn't for me.

My question is, if I can't get into it now, am I wasting my time playing through the rest with the hope it gets better? Or does everything come together late game and I just need to push through?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If you don't like it no use to keep playing it. I found I always had the tools to deal with any situation. Hardly a klutz. May just take getting used to the systems, or they may just not jive with you. Which is fine.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

I finished it last night and I gotta say it felt like a chore by the end of it. They introduce an enemy and an ability later on that changes up the game a bit, but nothing too drastic.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By wh1terav3n

I definitely felt myself get better as the game goes, and the levels get way larger and longer as you go as well. But I liked it right away, so maybe it's just not for you.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By C0V3RT

@ImmortalSaiyan: I can see the game trying to connect the dots when introducing new tools. It just seems as if more often than not, I'd end up trying to jump up behind someone with the intent of shanking them, only to end up moving too close to activate the assassination which would cause them to freak out and sound an alarm. I also had a problem with throwing the noise maker or leaving a body somewhere trying to get a guard to turn his back to me, and when I'd sneak up on him, he'd turn around and freak out.

@EVO: Part of the problem I feel even very early on is it's a chore. I can never tell if I should just be sneaking past the guards or if I should be shanking them in the back. Whats the new mechanic out of curiosity?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By MEATBALL

It sounds like the game just isn't for you. I found it an absolute joy to play from beginning to end, basically.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By C0V3RT

@MEATBALL: @wh1terav3n:

Thanks guys! It certainly sounds like it's a me problem and it's time to move on. Oh well!

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By jking47

Maybe its not for you. I felt like a badass and was pretty much always able to do exactly what I wanted. I already beat it once pretty much killing everyone, and now I am replaying it doing a no alarm no kill playthrough, having a great time with it again. Dunno man! I would say keep trying since I had a blast, but I guess you might now. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@C0V3RT said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: I can see the game trying to connect the dots when introducing new tools. It just seems as if more often than not, I'd end up trying to jump up behind someone with the intent of shanking them, only to end up moving too close to activate the assassination which would cause them to freak out and sound an alarm. I also had a problem with throwing the noise maker or leaving a body somewhere trying to get a guard to turn his back to me, and when I'd sneak up on him, he'd turn around and freak out.

@EVO: Part of the problem I feel even very early on is it's a chore. I can never tell if I should just be sneaking past the guards or if I should be shanking them in the back. Whats the new mechanic out of curiosity?

The great thing is how flexable the game is. There are many different way you can play the game all of them viable. No need to kill if you don't want. You can get high scores either way.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BisonHero  Online

Yeah, if you're not getting it by now, the game isn't going to click for you. It should take like 2 levels max, because the first level is a little simple.

I mean, if you go later than the point you're at, you start encountering enemies that are better at detecting you (dogs, guys with nightvision goggles, etc.), and the last 3-4 missions change things up a lot in terms of traps and what enemies you're up against, but the basic gameplay that you engage in doesn't dramatically change after the first 4 levels, as I doubt any of the various gadgets or alternate suits are going to make you reevaluate your entire opinion of the game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EVO

@C0V3RT said:

You get the ability to warp. Makes for some interesting environmental puzzles and a new way to combat enemies.

If you're having trouble stealth killing dudes there's a mask you get early on that makes it a lot easier.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By C0V3RT

I played some more, and got to the point that @EVO: was referring to, maybe a little before. It's the point after you're asked to kill yourself and you proceed to the level where theres a sandstorm and traps that blend in with the darkness. That was absolutely the worst. I think I'm done. Glad I pushed through though to where I did!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@C0V3RT said:

Glad I pushed through though to where I did!

That's surprising! Because it sounds like you had a terrible time! Your gladness is puzzling! Did you start liking it, but then just really hate the sandstorms and hard to see traps?

Your earnest enthusiasm for having just logged more hours into a game you were not enjoying confuses me.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By C0V3RT

@BisonHero: You and me both man. I'll go ahead and call it Stockholm Syndrome.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vikingdeath1

I seem to remember some level early on (I think it was level 5?) where you infiltrate the tower, and I really enjoyed that level and from then on it was an absolute blast. But if you don't like it then you don't like it, s'all good.

My personal Game of the Year!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EVO

@C0V3RT said:

I played some more, and got to the point that @EVO: was referring to, maybe a little before. It's the point after you're asked to kill yourself and you proceed to the level where theres a sandstorm and traps that blend in with the darkness. That was absolutely the worst. I think I'm done. Glad I pushed through though to where I did!

If you throw darts at those traps they fall to the ground. Lure a guard over the mine and it'll kill him.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@EVO said:

@C0V3RT said:

If you throw darts at those traps they fall to the ground. Lure a guard over the mine and it'll kill him.

Those 2 missions in fake Middle East (or real Middle East?) basically just encourage you to stop and use the ninja vision every few feet, which makes every trap incredibly apparent. Admittedly, that is kind of tedious, and I had less fun with those levels than I did infiltrating the high tech tower and European castle. Honestly though, COV3RT, you're pretty close to the end, because the third act is significantly shorter than the first act (tower) and the second act (castle). I think the whole thing is only 3 levels?

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By C0V3RT

@BisonHero: You've twisted my arm. I'm back in. If your ears are ringing over the next hour or so, that's me cursing you.

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By commonoutlier

I myself had more fun about midway through, but that's because I was a beast with the Path of Nightmares costume.  It probably also made the game a lot more easy...I think the trick with Mark of the Ninja is to find your preference for how you want to play it.  I liked scaring everyone and having guards kill each other (makes me feel sort of bad about myself saying that, haha).  Perhaps you just haven't found that one ability yet?  But then again, while I had more fun with the Path of Nightmares costume, I also had fun early on.  Perhaps its because I didn't have too high expectations and was simply intrigued by the visual aesthetic.

But now that I've beaten the game, I have little interest in playing any more of it, including NG+...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHT

@BisonHero said:

@C0V3RT said:

That's surprising! Because it sounds like you had a terrible time! Your gladness is puzzling! Did you start liking it, but then just really hate the sandstorms and hard to see traps?

Your earnest enthusiasm for having just logged more hours into a game you were not enjoying confuses me.

Really? I figured he was glad to have gotten to a point where he is no longer uncertain about not liking the game. The thread is after all titled "Does this pick up any?" and at the point of that post I suppose he was glad to have played enough to find an answer for himself.

But now he's decided to finish the game anyways.

Confounding.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By C0V3RT

@TheHT said:

@BisonHero said:

@C0V3RT said:

Really? I figured he was glad to have gotten to a point where he is no longer uncertain about not liking the game. The thread is after all titled "Does this pick up any?" and at the point of that post I suppose he was glad to have played enough to find an answer for himself.

But now he's decided to finish the game anyways.

Confounding.

DON'T JUDGE ME. I COULD QUIT IF I WANTED TO!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheHT

@C0V3RT

You don't have to do this.

:

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@commonoutlier said:

But now that I've beaten the game, I have little interest in playing any more of it, including NG+...

I did the NG+, but I was like you and also not like crazy enthused to do the whole thing again. So I decided to just use the stealth suit, and just try to run to the end of each level as quick as possible, not exploring everywhere, not picking up all the haiku (no point if you got them in your first playthrough), etc.

It made for an interesting change of pace, since like you, I mostly used the terror suit the first time around because it was awesome. But man, can you ever cook through levels in the stealth suit, since you can just keep the run button held down, and there's a surprising amount of times where you can run and jump and use the glide ability to skip like an entire outside courtyard area. Also I was way more ballsy in chaining together grapples even if guys almost saw me as a result. Also the smoke bomb with poison gas upgrade is your catch-all answer for any enemy that is guarding an area too effectively.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

Hahaha, I love the weird turn this thread has taken.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By C0V3RT

@BisonHero said:

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

Laugh it up, chuckles!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

Laugh it up, chuckles!

Are you drunk? You seem drunk.

Channel your drinking into completion of Mark of the Ninja.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By C0V3RT

@BisonHero said:

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

Laugh it up, chuckles!

No I'm not drunk. WHAT THE CRAP... THE NINAJS CAN TELEPORT NOW?!

Edit: In hind sight, I knew this was coming based on Evos warning. I don't know why this pissed me off so much.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By project343

I was in love with the game from the first minute. And then they continued to blow my mind with all the neat tools and mechanics that they layer throughout the experience. It really felt like it took inspiration from something like Super Mario Galaxy: each level was completely additive and fresh mechanically. This is the second best game I've played all year (behind The Walking Dead). But then again, I'm a really big fan of stealth games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

Laugh it up, chuckles!

Edit: In hind sight, I knew this was coming based on Evos warning. I don't know why this pissed me off so much.

Pro-tip: in the level where you get the teleport, the solution to every scenario is teleport.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By C0V3RT

@BisonHero said:

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

Laugh it up, chuckles!

Pro-tip: in the level where you get the teleport, the solution to every scenario is teleport.

If whatever you do for a living doesn't work out... Prima Strategy Guides has a desk job with your name on it.

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By commonoutlier
    @BisonHero said:

I did the NG+, but I was like you and also not like crazy enthused to do the whole thing again. So I decided to just use the stealth suit, and just try to run to the end of each level as quick as possible, not exploring everywhere, not picking up all the haiku (no point if you got them in your first playthrough), etc.

It made for an interesting change of pace, since like you, I mostly used the terror suit the first time around because it was awesome. But man, can you ever cook through levels in the stealth suit, since you can just keep the run button held down, and there's a surprising amount of times where you can run and jump and use the glide ability to skip like an entire outside courtyard area. Also I was way more ballsy in chaining together grapples even if guys almost saw me as a result. Also the smoke bomb with poison gas upgrade is your catch-all answer for any enemy that is guarding an area too effectively.

If I find myself wanting to get back into it, I  might try that...I think what turned me off, in addition, was how little was visible to you with NG+, and I was just staring at a mostly blurry screen, but I suppose doing a stealth run like that wouldn't make it matter too much that you see what's behind you.  I've got a ton of other games on my list to play, so it's not like I have nothing else to do, plus I already earned the other achievements...but there definitely something is charming about the gameplay that might cause me to get back into it.
    eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By eccentrix

I love this thread.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By csl316

I actually preferred the early game when things are simple. I got everything up to the last three levels, and I find myself having a hard time going back to 100% them.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Napalm

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

That picture is real rape-y.

Spoiler: the caption is from her perspective, not his. So it's very rape-y.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By C0V3RT

@Napalm said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Napalm

@TheHT said:

@C0V3RT

:

That picture is real rape-y.

Spoiler: the caption is from her perspective, not his. So it's very rape-y.

Jesus fucking Christ.

God bless you for digging this back up by the way.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHT

Oh god damnit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.