Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mark of the Ninja

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2012

From the creators of the Shank series comes a 2D stealth game featuring a ninja Champion bearing a magical tattoo that brings great power at a heavy price, in order to bring bloody vengeance against his clan's enemies.

More people should be talking about this game

klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By klinkcow

I'm excited that it is getting good critical reception, but this game needs more visibility on XBLA.

Honestly, I don't think I've spent a better $15 all year. I can't recommend this game enough to my friends, etc. I will be stoked to see it end up on some Game of the Year lists, I'm sure. Hopefully that will boost some sales for it.

I sound a little fanboyish, but I only say this stuff because I want more of this game...sequel, DLC, what have you. I just would like to see more of it on XBLA.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Almost all the forum feeds on the main page are from this game

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By impartialgecko

If it was on every platform, then people would be talking about it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1

@adam1808 said:

If it was on every platform, then people would be talking about.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By GaspoweR

Well hopefully people who frequent XBL but are not as well versed in game releases just won't dismiss this as some thing generic because it has ninjas as protagonists.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think there has been a single advert for it on the UK dashboard. I haven't played it yet, but I did buy it day of release.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Cincaid

Played halfway through it so far, and I agree that it's an excellent game well worth the $15. The only (minor) complaint I have, which is perhaps more reflective on my playstyle, is that you make a habit of starting over checkpoints over and over again if the result in a section isn't perfect. It would also be nice with some kind of "recommended equipment"-screen for levels, so you don't go in completely blind or pick equipment that won't be of any use.

But as I said, those are really minor complaints on an overall stellar game. Animations, gameplay, graphics...everything fits together in a very nice package.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pompouspizza

It's by far my favourite game of the year.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

When they port it to PC we won't stop talking about it

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By MEATBALL

Easily one of the best games of the year. S-Ranked it the other day. Looking forward to the game being released on PC sometime next year so that more people can enjoy it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CaLe

I'm personally waiting for a PC release. Even though I have a 360, I feel like I'm done with it. I don't wanna renew the gold membership or buy any more games for it. PC until next-gen for me.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rafaelfc

this game is positively fantastic! game of year for me so far

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jozzy

@CaLe said:

I'm personally waiting for a PC release. Even though I have a 360, I feel like I'm done with it. I don't wanna renew the gold membership or buy any more games for it. PC until next-gen for me.

Yeah, this is what happened to me a couple of months ago. My 360 is gathering dust after being my main squeeze for at least 4 years.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad

Yeah, people don't seem to want to play it on a 360 or just don't have a 360. Hopefully they release on it more platforms so that they want to buy it? I don't know, I bought it on 360 and I love it! Such a fantastic game!

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deusx

@adam1808 said:

If it was on every platform, then people would be talking about it.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Damian

Maybe there's just not much to discuss more than "it's a great single player 2D stealth game". I see in the leaderboards that around 30,000 folks have played while connected online in the first week, and the designer's twitter is full of him responding to giant compliments. So it seems to be doing pretty good for Klei. My sense is that people are just happy to play it more than discuss it's "depth" or "story" which, let's face it, it ain't got much of either unless you're really into Japanese poetry. But maybe it's a good thing that people would rather play it than talk about it (?).

Hopefully they add some nice PCesque things to that version when it drops, like a level editor, new classes, or mods perhaps. IDK. But it could have a better life there, discussion-wise anyhow. I'd also hope for better UI in that version. That's the only spot I feel they dropped the ball on, really. Like said, it'd be nice to know more about the level you're getting into before picking a loadout. Also why show me the upgrade screen with a "confirm to progress" when I already have all the upgrades? Why tell me my progress will be lost if I want to quit AFTER finishing a level (hate when games do that, especially with no clear save option)? And why no "continue game" option at the main menu (leading some folks to think there's no continue at all)?

Little niggles like that could be better, but once passed all that and playing a level it's just a great game, so it's not hard to forgive those things.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I feel like the game will do decent enough for them, if not as well as it deserves. Like the previous poster said, there are around 30,000 players on the game's leaderboard for the first week, which is decent for an XBLA game and actually much better than some of the Summer of Arcade games did (Wreckateer sadly only got a few thousand, and Hybrid didn't fare much better.) Once the game inevitably comes out on Steam, it'll probably do double those numbers at least given how much bigger the built-in audience is there, and how much more visibility the game will have on the service's front page.

Of course, I'd always like to see Mark of the Ninja do even better since I think great talent should be greatly rewarded. This is easily one of my favorite games of the year, alongside Trials: Evolution and Spelunky. XBLA is killing it this year (other than the Summer of Arcade promotion, which neglected all of these awesome games)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

Hopefully MotN will see a PC release before the Mayans blow up the Earth.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Humanity

Chiming in that it's the most fun I've had in a while. Great gameplay, good story, great ending. People raved about Journey or Dust while this is at least on the same level if not better than both those games.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lukeweizer

"More people should talk about what I like."

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mesoian

I finished it last night, it really is FANTASTIC. It's a shame it's not being promoted heavier.

@Humanity said:

Chiming in that it's the most fun I've had in a while. Great gameplay, good story, great ending. People raved about Journey or Dust while this is at least on the same level if not better than both those games.

Hey now let's not get crazy. I feel Mark of the Ninja's narrative is up against really stiff competition, and while I loved it, that ending punch isn't as salent as Journey's or, let's say, Bastion's. Mostly because you have to go through the ending twice in order to make sure. The illusion of choice is an interesting one that does bring your dander up, but in the end, there's no reason why they couldn't have combined both outcomes in a way that makes the back of your head explode.

But yeah, wow, as far as final levels go...man. IMPRESSIVE. I've seen better, but that doesn't mean that MotN's story is weak or lacks punch.

It really is a shame because, unlike Papo Y Yo, and save for a few really stupid menu decisions, MotN really does keep you engrossed within it's story through gameplay. It's something that not a lot of games manage to do successfully. It's easily a 5/5 in my eyes.

thomblweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By thomblweed

I just sank 7 hours into this game on my day off work and on the last mission now I think. For me, this has been a stunning experience so far.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By AssInAss

The XBLA in terms of marketing and exposure is a shit show, as is evident by Indie Game the Movie. Microsoft seems to care more about other media ads than games.

Incredible game, otherwise and have recommended it to all my friends.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By AssInAss
    klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By klinkcow
    klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By klinkcow

@Lukeweizer said:

"More people should talk about what I like."

Clearly, this is not the exact case for MotN. While I sympathize with your summation of my post...I think there is a bit more to the way this game was buried compared to other things, as is evident in Klepek's post.

All in all, it felt pretty buried. I'm glad to see the sea-change though!

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HerbieBug

Bump for the people talking about people needing to talk about Mark O' The Ninja thread.

Just picked it up this evening. Game is the cat's (black) pajamas. :D

I have played all of 30 minutes worth and already consider it the best downloadable this year. Best I've played anyway, and truth be told I haven't played very many. Downloadables. Yes. But anyway. Game is bestest evers. Only thing I would want different is a faster run speed. 'cause if you're going to make it that loud, let me go meatboy speed.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By laserbolts

Yeah this game is pretty awesome and anyone on the fence should buy it. It will definetly be on my Top 5 list for this year. I'm gonna say its my favorite game ever released on XBLA. Play this game!

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By moncole

I am getting it on the 16th and I plan on getting 100% complete on it.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jmood88

@AssInAss said:

The XBLA in terms of marketing and exposure is a shit show, as is evident by Indie Game the Movie. Microsoft seems to care more about other media ads than games.

Incredible game, otherwise and have recommended it to all my friends.

That's not a problem exclusive to Microsoft. PSN, Steam, and the App Store all have issues getting exposure for downloadable indie titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.