Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel's Spider-Man

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 07, 2018

An Insomniac game exclusively for PlayStation 4 where Spider-Man strives to stop Mister Negative's terrorist plot against the city of New York.

Does this game make your top ten of the year?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does this game make your top ten of the year? (275 votes)

It's my number one game of the year. 8%
    Top five actually. 23%
    Yeah, it's somewhere in my top ten. 28%
    No, it's a good game but not in my top ten. 5%
    No, it's not in my top ten of the year. I don't think it's all that great of a game. 7%
    Let's see what others had to say. 30%

I haven't played the game so I can't say, but I am wondering what you all think. Also, it goes without saying considering I just said I didn't play it, but please don't spoil anything the game is doing with its story at least. I am currently playing other games, and I'm also unsure whether I should wait to get a PS4 Pro, or just get it on the base console to play it sooner rather than later. Either way, I have been waiting. That aside, what are your thoughts on where the game lies this year?

• 
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how it can't.

It's really the Spider-man game we've always dreamed of, at least for the most part. An absolute blast to play and handles lots of characters well.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone playing the game on base PS4 on 4K HDR screen? How is it?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I’m ready to place it as my number one on the GOTY list. That said, the only other real contender so far is God of War, so the list hasn’t exactly been too crowded. I’ve reaaaally liked both, though.

This year still has a handful of games (that I know of) coming out that interest me, but I’m not sure if any of them will have a chance at wrestling Spider-Man for the top spot. RDR 2 and Hitman 2 might have a chance.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I haven't played it yet and won't have before the years over.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's a guaranteed top 5 I think. Between this and God of War we have two of the absolutely most polished, borderline flawless high budget releases in years. Not neccessarily my favorite games, I tend to lean towards flawed but interesting. But there really is something to be said about excellent craftsmanship. Both these games are incredibly impressive.

I'd have to skim through the entire years worth of games to see if I haven't forgotten 5 games I loved. But as it stands now I definitely think Spider-Man is one of my favorites of the year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Yes because I don't see myself playing 9 other games from this year. I would not call it a masterpiece or devoid of issues but it's a solid open world game and a great Spider-man game - looks amazing in 4k with HDR. God of War is the only other game from 2018 I've played so far and I have multiple issues with it so I would say as of right now (60% completion) it's my favorite game. I think I'm only picking up 3 other games this year (Smash, BF V, and Read Dead).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say I can think of ten better games than Spiderman that came out this year.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's probably my game of the year so far, but this comes with the caveat that I've played very few games both during and from this year.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it a lot, but its going to be hard for anything to top God of War. Red Dead 2 has a chance, but God of War is in my Top 10 of All-Time.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It does not. It has too many samey issues that keep it from being great.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably my game of the year so far, but this comes with the caveat that I've played very few games both during and from this year.

Exactly this. I like Spider-Man a lot and I can't think of a game this year that I like more, but I have played almost nothing this year. It's better than Kirby Star Allies, that's for sure (that game wasn't terrible but was pretty disappointing.) I guess Dead Cells would be in the conversation, and Forza Horizon 4 may dethrone Spider-Man based on my love of that series, but Spider-Man is definitely going to be in the top 10 even if every other game that comes out is as good as possible. This was a very light year in terms of games I love. At some point we're going to have to admit that the second year of the Switch was super disappointing outside the Indie space. Maybe Smash will save it, but not for me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#13  Edited By Slag

If I play it in time, looks like it would.

TBF I don't think 2018 has had a lot of bangers yet this year either, there's good stuff but not a flood like last year.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In the top three so far this year for me, definitely, along with Dead Cells and God of War.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only real complaint with the game was the outside of suit stuff. I enjoy the story elements of those sections but I just didn’t enjoy actually playing them.

I absolutely love the game overall and was really shocked how much I loved the story and especially the ending. It’s been a while since I played a game that stuck the landing on the ending so well.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Not sure exactly where it will go, but definitely in the top 10. I might like God of War better? Dunno, maybe I'll have to replay it.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ntm: yeah it looks great. At times the game can look even better than god of war.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@xanadu: On the base PS4 on a 4K HDR screen? I just plugged the PS4 back in and I am contemplating buying it right now. I kind of want to get the best experience out of the gate, but maybe it won't be too bad. Plus, I can always check it out whenever I do end up getting a Pro.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you saying there wont be 5 games better then Spiderman, wink wink smiley face.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

@soulcake: I know you're joking (I think), but to be honest, I don't know. I think I've only played two new games this year: God of War and Far Cry 5. God of War was fine, and despite its issues, I actually really enjoyed FC5, more than God of War even. That said, neither of them would I personally consider games I'd want in my top five at least.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: whoops my bad, just woke up. No idea how it would look on a base ps4. At least you would get the HDR

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to play this. Something about Spiderman rubs me the wrong way. It's baseless and irrational, but I don't like him. But well, super hero games in general don't appeal to me at all.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s my number one followed by Dead Cells and God of War.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT

Right now it's probably in the top five (which includes the possibility of being #1).

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't even hashed out my final list much less the order, but so far this, DBFZ, and maybe God of War are the only big AAA games I'd put in my top five right now. Which is kind of weird for me personally, but 2018 has been such a good year for smaller games. So basically, yeah, I'd be surprised if it isn't in my top 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's far and away my favorite game of the year so far. I can't see myself playing five games I'll like more, much less ten.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would like to play it, but I have not yet. That's a firm TBD for me!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I was referencing

Loading Video...

Also i have not played Spiderman yet.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have a 1 year old son, I won’t even end up playing 10 games that came out this year. I definitely want to check this game out...one day.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Seikenfreak

Sitting at #3 at the moment. Current pending list is BattleTech at the top, Monster Hunter World in second, Spider-man third, and God of War in fourth. I think this tells me that addictive and engaging gameplay that I'll always remember and want to go back to-- even if the game is a little rough around the edges-- will trump a perfectly polished, well balanced, super good looking, decent gameplay, and decent story.

So far, the rest of the list will be filled out with Monster Energy Supercross, MXGP Pro, and Two Point Hospital will probably be in there somewhere. Metro 2033 (as part of the Redux package) is one of my new-old games that'll probably make it on the list. Then I've got DQ11 sitting here which I'm trying to get back to but so many games and stuff at once. Tomb Raider will be arriving tomorrow. Red Dead 2 will almost certainly make it on the list. Curious about that Starlink game, even if its target audience is kids.. who knows.

And whatever else surprises me.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm not super far into it, but at the moment it would definitely be on my list somewhere. As is Dragon Quest XI. I haven't finished DQ yet either. Decided to focus on Spider-Man since it's shorter and take a small DQ break. I feel like my love of RPG's will probably end up putting DQ at the top for me, but I bet Spider-Man is going to be pretty high on my list.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nah, for me it’s a 3 stars game. There’s some awful moments and the Arkham games did most of what this game does way better.

The villains here are underdeveloped in comparison, especially in the last act, the combat doesn’t feel as good and the camera has a hard time keeping up. You keep getting attacked enemies that are outside your vision, just pressing triangle to warp to them. The dodging doesn’t always work perfectly and it annoys me. The game isn’t hard and I wasn’t frustrated, I just think it doesn’t feel great.

The sidequests are bad to awful and the stealth sequences are absolutely dreadful. I don’t think Arkham Knight is the greatest game ever but I remember liking that every sidequests were tied to a villain that was actually present in the game.

What this game does well though is the traversal, obviously, and the good characters are more interesting than in Batman. I like the poor teenager dynamic, MJ and Miles are both well done. I’d take that over Batman’s bourgeois ass all day.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ltcolumbo

I’m enjoying the game but I’m a little bothered by the difficulty. I genuinely suck at brawling games, so I set this to the lowest difficulty and I’m still getting my ass beat. I’m only about five hours in and between missions and bases, I’ve died at least a dozen times. I fully admit I am bad at brawlers, but that seems like a lot for the lowest difficulty.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

God of War is currently sitting at my number 1, as it is for a lot of folks, I imagine. I haven't finished Spider-Man, and apparently the back 1/3 of the game has a lot of incredible stuff, so I guess we'll see, but currently I got Monster Hunter World at 2nd on the list. Followed by Dead Cells of course, then DBZF.

I guess I'll see how I feel by the end of the year, but honestly I thought 2018 was going to have a lot more to offer. I haven't actually played any other games besides the ones I listed and WoW: BfA. Stuff just ended up getting pushed into early 2019. 2019 Will probably end up being another 2017, just jam packed with fantastic games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.