Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Anyone else prefer a controller over the mouse/keyboard?

• 77 results
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Am I crazy or does anyone else prefer using a 360 controller over the mouse/keyboard? I bought ME2 PC from a friend and he thinks I am retarded. Although he is one of those guys who claims  the mouse/keyboard is the blah blah...you know. I bought the PC version when I upgraded my GPU but now I am going to restart on the 360 which I originally started on. I know I can just plug a controller into the PC but I have it on 360 already.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ryax

only the people that werent raised right prefer controllers over keyboard/mouse 

pc for life woo woo

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ryax said:
    " only the people that werent raised right prefer controllers over keyboard/mouse  pc for life woo woo "
    <3
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ryax
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " only the people that werent raised right prefer controllers over keyboard/mouse  pc for life woo woo "
    <3 "
    says the color traitor </3
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ryax said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ryax said:
    <3 "
    says the color traitor </3 "
    come again ?
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ryax

still isnt the same. my heart is forever broken...

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanryd

Not completely for every game I play, but I did figure out a sort of compromise where I use the controller in my left hand for movement/reloading/crouching and the mouse for aiming/grenades in the MoH beta. It's the only game I've tried it with so far, but it's been pretty awesome.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ArcLyte

mouse and keyboard for fps and rts ALWAYS
    controller for everything else

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bennyishere

I prefer a controller. This is just because I have been a console gamer all my life and PC has been a low priority. It shows when I play games as well, I suck when I play CS with the guys on the school computers, but I do good with a controller on Xbox Live.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrOldboy

Maybe I should have been more specific.

I cant seem to find a control scheme I like with ME2. Mostly with the getting into cover, then popping out of it.

I dont like the way most shooters use the right mouse button to either pop out of cover or aim down the sights. I find it uncomfortable. I tried using other keys but the right mouse button is the most comfortable yet still not as comfortable as the left trigger.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

There are ppl like me who are pc gamers who has uber micro with the keyboard and mouse. It's just skill casual gamers who owns consoles doesn't have, so they hate on it.  

However these days, all pc gamers owns a controller for certain games, I honestly don't mind using both. I'm quite good with the keyboard and mouse combo, over the controller which I still need to improve on.  

Honestly though, mass effect 2 is superior on the keyboard and mouse, you can pause and pick stuff, use tactics like multiply abilities all at once. Aiming is very precise with the mouse too. I think it's the way to go for mass effect 2, sort of like dragon age too, bioware games.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ryax
    @HitmanAgent47: i am strictly keyboard/mouse for ever game no matter what. its what ive been using for forever and it will never be the same as a controller 

my pc fanboyism is showing
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Ryax: Honestly, I agree with you, however the times are changing for us pc gamers, most of us now uses a controller for racing games. On the pc, can you play devil may cry 4, or street fighter 4 with a keyboard? I could for devil may cry 4, however it's so much easier with a controller. I say give it a try, you might actually enjoy using one, we all have one controller now. However for most games with a reticle, i'm never going to use a controller, I need my accuracy. 

I can drive with the keyboard of course as a pc gamer. If my controller, a logitec cordless rumblepad 2 doesn't support certain games, I will drive with a keyboard. However for the ones that I can change the key configuration, a controller is alot easier. Give it a try, pc gamers sure are traditional at times.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Controller+mouse > mouse+Keyboard (for PC ports of console games) it's about that analog stick...

I say mice need to start having an analog nub like those on older laptops, and keyboards need an analog stick near the space bar so both thumbs can be analoggin.

but regarding Mass Effect 2 on PC, you have to go into the files and tweak things to turn off the god fucking awful broken mouse acceleration/smoothing/dampening. Once you do this it feels natural, except for the hacking minigames.
      http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/761152/1

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ryax
    @HitmanAgent47: ive actually found that im better at street fighter on a keyboard but racing games are still easier for a controller. i kinda get the vibe that racing games werent really intended to be played with a keyboard or mouse. but certain games i can see where a controller would benefit.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

on fighting games I'm better with keyboard than a controller. But fight stick above those.

controller or wheel in racing games. it's about the analog acceleration/braking as much as it's about the steering.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Garrus

I'd prefer FPS with Mouse but sometimes the keys by default are annoying as hell on the keyboard. I prefer controller for RPGs like Oblivion, pulling the trigger on a 360 controller makes me feel like my rage is actually doing something, transfering into the game and into the sword the guy is being hit with.

laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By laalipop

FPS = Keyboard/Mouse... 

TPS = Controller... 

Don't ask why, it just makes a difference to me...

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By jamBOT

Yes.

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zyte

Mouse + Keyboard for everything except racing games, where you should have a driving wheel.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Metroid545

some games work best with controllers while the majority of shooters are best on the pc

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrOldboy

I think I should have made the title clearer.

I am specifically talking about Mass Effect 2, hence why I posted it in that forum.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By MooseyMcMan

While I haven't actually played ME2 with a mouse/keyboard (I have the 360 version), I know that I don't like using a mouse/keyboard for gaming, because I just don't think that a keyboard equates good gaming. There's no control stick for analog movement, and there's way too many buttons to keep track of what does what.  

I remember a couple years ago some company made a PS3 controller that was basically a combination of a mouse and a Wii style nunchuck. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By xMP44x

I prefer using a controller, but I actually know that a keyboard and mouse combination will always dominate any controller. Keyboards are much more accurate than controllers, and you can hit a button to do something as opposed to pressing two or more. At the same time though, using two different elements to do the same things feels like such a foreign concept to me. I have Counter-Strike: Source, and I get owned by all these people with impossible reflexes. Still, controllers are perfectly fine for consoles, but the keyboard and mouse are how PC games were designed to be played, for the most part.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

TPS can go either way for me.  Sometimes pad feels better, sometimes mouse & keyboard.  

I think I used m&k for ME2, because it was quicker for squad placement and a lot easier to use a sniper rifle.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo

It depends on the game I'm playing but I prefer playing Mass Effect with a 360 controller as I played the original with a 360 controller.

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By yorro

Keyboard and Mouse for ME

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Feanor

I am an avid PC gamer, and the ME series is better played with a controller. I'm usually the first person to claim that mouse+keyboard is a superior control system, but that point is moot if the game is designed around a controller. Using the mouse and keyboard for ME is perfectly fine, but it is not optimal. 

Having said that, using a controller for a PC game is not a bad thing at all. It gives you another way to play your games on the PC. It's no different than a driving wheel or a Joystick.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Meowayne

Wiimote > Analog Controller > KB/M

This goes for every genre except strategy.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By zidd

I usually use a wireless 360 controller on games that are console ports with no PC specific UI like borderlands and GFWL games. Most games these days will support a controller on the PC. With more and more console ports on the PC I think having a controller is essential for some kinds of games like Hitman said.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By John1912

The only game I HAVE to use a mouse and keyboard for are RTS.  Diablo style games prob as well.  FPS is a toss up.  I kinda like that a controller gives a more realistic aiming and skill factor over the minimal skill of moving a mouse.  All in all thou, a mouse and key are better for FPS.  If a game can be mapped to a controller and isnt broken because of it, I will prob prefer a controller. 

Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lilja
    The Mouse + One-handed controller is an awesome combo. (like a wii nunchuck) 
    Combining the precision of an analog stick for movement with a mouse is really nice. So you can move at any angle and speed you want.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NoXious

I have a controller by my computer at all times, because I used it for Overlord 2.
    But I prefer a mouse and keyboard over controller - 99% of the times.

EDIT: And last I checked Mass Effect 2 doesn't support the controller. With all the new powers & binding em the Keyboard + Mouse rules supreme anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a pc gamer who prefers a controller over m+k. Mass Effect really disappointed me in this department.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By time allen

i use mouse + keyboard for everything that i can. only use controller when either playing on a console or playing a game where a keyboard wasn't implemented well: mgs2, splinter cell conviction etc.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Demyx

Mouse and keyboard.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By tranquilchaos

I prefer a controller for everything. Keyboard movement is not analog.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By Jedted

The Xbox control scheme for ME2 feels very tight and i'm comfortable playing with a controller in my hands.  Yeah the PC version enables you to use all of your powers in real time but i like using the radial menu. 
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By meteora

It depends on the game. If its a RTS, a mouse and keyboard is a necessity. Racing games and platformers, controller. FPS? I'm good enough with either, though keyboard/mouse combo gives me more intense and stressful moments. 

Thing I don't like about the mouse is whenever it spaz out or doesn't even react when there's like a hair under the red optics.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By mikemcn

Racing games need at least a controller, everything else is best with Keyboard/mouse.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By s10129107

That circular menu wheel on the controller side looks so time consuming.  With the keyboard and mouse you just hit tab and everything is there, neat and in the bottom.  You also have all the abilities mapped to the number keys as you choose.  Seems Mass Effect 2 is tailored to the keyboard+mouse for the pc.  I don't see why you would play any other way.  Generally i play shooters with the keyboard and mouse unless the game obviously is designed for the controller and not the mouse, ala Dead Space.

Navyseils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Navyseils

In general I much prefer to use a controller over a mouse and keyboard. It's more comfortable. But it does have limitations that the mouse/keyboard combo can get around. So for certain games I'll switch it up.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By ki11tank

if you shoot, sword and board all the way...

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By T0mF5

Does anyone know where to get a one handed controller that works with a pc and is sort of like a Wii Nunchuk controller?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

It depends. I don't think I prefer one over the other. I've played both since I could remember. Although, personally, I don't know how it'd be hard to disagree other than if you simply didn't care. But, I never liked how on keyboards it's not like a controllers left analog. You can't just gently hold it forward, backward, left or right and change the speed of your movement that way depending on how hard to press. on the WSDA all you get is one speed majority of the time, and the alternative is to set a button to walk or not. Just not that great. But I don't really mind. One exception is the Splinter Cell games on PC. That was a lot better since Sam's movement speed was set to your mouse wheel. Other games just wouldn't work that way. As for games like fighting games though? You'll have to give me a really good game pad to like it over a keyboard. It's just easier to pull off the moves like a Hadoken in Street Fighter or what have you. But the punching buttons may be worse since I like to set them to arrows, but you wouldn't get the heavy punch or kick in a good place.
    Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Alphonzo

I'm more comfortable with a controller.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By haggis
    @MrOldboy: It depends on the game. I grew up with joysticks, then suffered through the long and tortuous transition to mouse and keyboard. The M&K combination took a very long time to get right (anyone who has played the original Quake can tell you that). For most games it works great. But keyboards aren't meant for gaming, and while movement and aiming are better, games with other features (requiring other keypresses) can be a bit awkward on the keyboard. For ME2, I actually do prefer to play with the Xbox controller. But maybe it's just because I'm out of practice on the keyboard.

And I'll agree with what some have said, that TPS games are better with a controller for me as well. Not sure why. :/
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Osaladin

Mouse and Keyboard for everything except, driving games, flying games, games like Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jasonofindy

I prefer a controller for most games with the exception of strategy games such as Civilization.  It is not that I don't like using a mouse, just that I loathe the keyboard for gaming.  I actually prefer mouse aiming slightly over analog stick, but not enough to give up well placed buttons and analog stick movement for movement with a clunky ass keyboard.   

A system using a nice multibutton mouse in one hand and something like the multibutton MOVE navigation controller in the other seems like a win-win to me but I doubt we will ever see something like that widely supported.

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cerialthriller

I hate keyboard and mouse mostly because you have to sit at a desk to use them, i much rather chill on a couch then hunch over a keyboard and mouse. Also using a mouse just feels too cheap and easy, all you do is point at things and click for every single game, atleast on a controller the trigger kinda makes it seem like you are shooting something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.