Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Anyone else still bummed that the PC version...

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

still doesn't have 360 controller support from bioware? 

I don't want to turn this into a PC vs. Console debate, but I like playing my games with a controller. Why leave that functionality out?  

That said I'm ready to start my third play through of the best game of 2010 with my superior gaming rig with my superior controls ;) 

If anyone else is looking to add functionality to your PC version of Mass Effect 2, watch this video and click on it. Both the downloads you need are on the youtube page. Have Fun.
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NoDeath

To be honest I think the PC interface is leagues better than playing with a controller. To each their own, I guess.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

There's a much easier way to mod and add 360 support. But in the end the menus was bugged as well as the power wheel and low sensitivity made it crap. Thus, I just bought it for my 360. Simple solution, no?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

Yeah, I wish most PC games would just incorporate controller support. I don't see why it would be that difficult. 

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pwnasaurus

yea i really want to gibble my control scheme. xbox controller good for sports games and racing games mouse and keyboard better at everything else.

JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

It really is a glaring omission for bioware to not have controller support. Personally I find the game much easier that way.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Berezov

Oh I'm not sure, the ability selection mapped to 1-9 is a delight to use as opposed to the radial menu. Then again it's a bit of an oversight not to include Xbox 360 controller support considering it's a straight port. 

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nictel

Probably Bioware sees the mouse and keyboard as a superior control mechanism. As such saw no reason to add controller support, or racing wheel support for that matter. 

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By KillyDarko

I like playing with the keyboard/mouse combo, so I've never even thought about that issue before, but ok... I guess some people do prefer to play RPGs with a controller... which is why I guess they have an Xbox version of the same game. But I guess that sure, not everybody has an Xbox, so maybe it would be considerate of them to support controllers on their PC games as well.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By granderojo
    @KillyDarko said:
    " I like playing with the keyboard/mouse combo, so I've never even thought about that issue before, but ok... I guess some people do prefer to play RPGs with a controller... which is why I guess they have an Xbox version of the same game. But I guess that sure, not everybody has an Xbox, so maybe it would be considerate of them to support controllers on their PC games as well. "
    The first mass effect had support for 360 controller.
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @thabigred said:
    " @KillyDarko said:
    " I like playing with the keyboard/mouse combo, so I've never even thought about that issue before, but ok... I guess some people do prefer to play RPGs with a controller... which is why I guess they have an Xbox version of the same game. But I guess that sure, not everybody has an Xbox, so maybe it would be considerate of them to support controllers on their PC games as well. "
    The first mass effect had support for 360 controller. "
    Ugh, no it didn't :/ If so, show us something official :)
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowshi
    @Nictel said:
    As such saw no reason to add controller support, or racing wheel support for that matter.  "
    Awful.
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @Meowshi said:
    " @Nictel said:
    As such saw no reason to add controller support, or racing wheel support for that matter.  "
    Awful. "
    Predictable. :p
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I just tried the controller interface downloading the demo on psn and I found I like the pc interface alot better. Especially for the aim, however the controller interface wasn't bad though.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Not really ... quite the opposite: Im glad Bioware took the time to rebuild the controls for the platform the release the game on. ME1 (as much as I loved it) felt like a console game ported to the PC ... ME2 felt like a PC game.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By granderojo
    @2HeadedNinja said:
    " Not really ... quite the opposite: Im glad Bioware took the time to rebuild the controls for the platform the release the game on. ME1 (as much as I loved it) felt like a console game ported to the PC ... ME2 felt like a PC game. "
    Plenty of PC games have both dedicated PC controls and controller support.  

The list of those games is truly a long one.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    @thabigred said: 

The list of those games is truly a long one. "
    Im oc aware of that ... but there still are a lot of games that dont feel like there was put a lot of thought into when it comes to porting them to the PC ... be it bad controls or lazy UI design. ME2 felt good in that department. Just like I think Dragon Age was a good PC to console port (I never played it on consoles, so im judging mostly by the videos I saw). Bioware just seems to be interested to deliver the best experience on any platform they are releasing on.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Enigma777
    @pwnasaurus said:
    " yea i really want to gibble my control scheme. xbox controller good for sports games and racing games mouse and keyboard better at everything else. "
    Actually controllers are better for action games as well. Playing DMC or AssCreed with a keyboard sucks.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By granderojo
    @2HeadedNinja said:

" @thabigred said: 

The list of those games is truly a long one. "
    Im oc aware of that ... but there still are a lot of games that dont feel like there was put a lot of thought into when it comes to porting them to the PC ... be it bad controls or lazy UI design. ME2 felt good in that department. Just like I think Dragon Age was a good PC to console port (I never played it on consoles, so im judging mostly by the videos I saw). Bioware just seems to be interested to deliver the best experience on any platform they are releasing on. "
    I wouldn't play Civ5 with a controller or Dragon Age, but third person shooters are not apt IMO to what you are saying. Mass Effect is a franchise which is basically an  iteration on a 360 game(Gears of War). I started playing these cover based third person shooters with a controller, and my brain is hard wired into using that control scheme with it. 

Also that being said I understand disappointments people had with interface of first mass effect on PC, it was categorically bad interface, and ME2 has a great PC interface. But knowing what I know about what it takes to have controller support added to the PC version, and how they completely just said to hell with, really disappoints me. 

All they had to do was port the 360 wheel menu, slap it in there and put an option to toggle it in menus. If they had done that they wouldn't have thousands of jackasses like myself bitching about it. Go ahead and google 360 support mass effect 2 and tell me that nobody was disappointed at them leaving it out, a lot of people wanted that option and it's balls that they left it out.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By emem
    @thabigred:  Does the 360 version have autoaim? I do like to play some games with a gamepad, but whenever there is aiming involved (my aiming is non existent with a gamepad) I don't really enjoy it that way, it's just too slow for me. 

However, it would only be fair to implement every possible controller support as well, expecially because it shouldn't be that hard to realise on the PC. I hope they will do it for ME3 so you guys can lean back and enjoy the game the way you are used to play it. And I totally get why you would want to play it on the PC instead of the 360.. saw the game on a 360 half a year ago and it doesn't look that good, to be honest.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By granderojo
    @emem said:
    " @thabigred:  Does the 360 version have autoaim? I do like to play some games with a gamepad, but whenever there is aiming involved (my aiming is non existent with a gamepad) I don't really enjoy it that way, it's just too slow for me.  However, it would only be fair to implement every possible controller support as well, expecially because it shouldn't be that hard to realise on the PC. I hope they will do it for ME3 so you guys can lean back and enjoy the game the way you are used to play it. And I totally get why you would want to play it on the PC instead of the 360.. saw the game on a 360 half a year ago and it doesn't look that good, to be honest. "
    I do believe that there is autoaim, but it can be turned off in the menus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.