Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Expectations in Mass Effect 2 in a post Dragon Age world?

• 77 results
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

How much of Dragon Age do you think will spill into ME2? Do you think the teams are so separate that these games get created in completely different spheres of influence or do you think that we'll see some of the characteristics from DAO spill into ME2? They are obviously very different games due to their combat models but there are still some things that I'd like to see from DA:O make it's way into ME2.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @snide: My expectations for ME2 are way higher than for Dragon Age. For me Dragon Age was just filler until ME2 comes out so as such I did not have any expectations really. For ME2 I fully expect it to be worlds better than the first, and that's saying something since I love the first Mass Effect.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By L33tfella_H

I think i'd like to see  tactics menu style control for my NPCs, i didn't use the tactics menu that much, but when i did...I Appreciated it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Evilsbane
    @snide: I have to say the games are pretty close now anyways aside from the direct combat vs tactical you have a party, lots of quest and an open world, both have good story lines and strong characters I guess the only thing I would like to see is the quality of the side quest in DAO carrying over because in ME1 the universe was a pretty boring place.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Kohe321

Hmm, I am about 10-12 hours into Dragon Age and I love it. I am not completely sure what things from DA:O I hope will make it's way into ME2, though. A bigger variety in the worlds, and more drastic impact from your choices would be nice. 

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By spacetrucking
    @snide: Maybe the side-character development will spill over from Dragon Age.  But thats a very general trend in BioWare games now, the party members have been becoming more central to the experience with each game.  I doubt any of the strategic gameplay options from Dragon Age will show up here since ME2 is going for a even more shooter oriented combat this time around. Mass Effect was a great game but the RPG elements will always be a little thin (compared to Dragon Age like CRPGs) to accommodate the action.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm just expecting a more refined version o the original Mass Effect. Dragon Age doesn't have many features that I would are to see fit in Mass Effect 2. I would just like more control (not necessarily direct control) over my comrades.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binman88

I hope they throw in some futuristic swords.

Honestly, I never bothered with too much of the party management in ME1, I just focused mostly on shooting dudes - but if they make it a necessity like in DA, I would be happy. Also, if they make the inventory system better on the PC, that would be sweet.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Binman88 said:
    " I hope they throw in some futuristic swords.  "
    You mean like this or this ? I think they made those game already. :p
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Binman88 said:
    " I hope they throw in some futuristic swords."
    Dude I never even thought about that, how fucking awesome would that be?
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mordukai
    @snide: I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that the Mass Effect 2 team did get a few ideas from the DAO dev team. Personally I would like to see more tactics in ME2 so if they incorporate the same tactics menu system from DAO then I'll be really happy. Frankly I just hope then fixed the inventory system and improved on the shmorgashboard that it was on the first ME. 
    Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Phaseshift

If mass effect 2 is just as good as dragon age, then i will be happy.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

I heard some of the Dragon Age team was assisting in developing Mass Effect 2, and that it definitely had rubbed off well for some of the more RPG elements of the Normandy, and character depth and such. I have pretty high expectations for it.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy

I hope that sword spills over lol seriously I would love to be able to attack aliens with guns with a giant sword!

Though I no "real" answer since Ive yet to play Dragon Age :(

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHBK

well from what I have read on the game, it seems like Bioware focused more on the shooting and I have the feeling this will be even less RPG heavy than the first ME.  But i Hope they do incorporate some of the gameplay, especially some up close combat, there is something unsettling about always fighting from afar.  Even in MW2 you get some stabbing action.

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shiftshaper
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    Dude I never even thought about that, how fucking awesome would that be? "
    Yeah man, and the people weilding these swords would be like space knights! It's so original! But what should the swords be called? Glowrapier? Nah. Shinescimitar? Nope. Plasmablade? Eh... 

In all seriousness though, I dont think ME2 will take much from DA:O. They look similar from afar but when you get right down to it it looks like ME2 is trying to aspire to be more action-oriented, and it looks more like a shooter then the last game. Meanwhile DA:O is a very old-school RPG, so for ME2 to take inspiration from that game would be a very strange choice.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Some of the early trailers and info already lead me to believe that ME2 has improved in terms of plot, dynamic moral decisions, and character development. Will it be up to the standards set by Dragon Age? We'll have to wait and see, but I think there's definitely some good reasons to be excited.

The character specific trailers make it seem like we're going to get much more invested and involved in the personal stories of each party member. Just look at the Tali trailer. In the first game, you really didn't get to know anything about her. You could talk to her a little about her family and Quarians, but that was it. Now, it looks like there's going to be fully developed missions tied directly to her backstory. That's something that none of the party members in the first game really had (aside from a few very simple missions like getting Wrex's family armor or killing Dr. Heart for Garrus). 

In addition, I've heard that the good/evil meter is gone from this game and that it has been replaced with an allegiance rating on each party member. That sounds a lot like Dragon Age to me. Also, I think getting rid of the good/evil meter allows the developers to present the player with choices that aren't clearly good or evil.

Frankly though, all of this story stuff looks like it could be awesome, but the only thing I'm really hoping that they fix is the GOD DAMN INVENTORY SYSTEM. There were points in the late game and definitely in repeat playthroughs where it was a freaking nightmare to manage all of your equipment.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

The games were made by different teams and have totally different play styles...  

How can Dragon Age set standards for Mass Effect? Dragon Age takes place on one planet, within one continent and you have the same scenery everywhere besides the town, forest, field, mountain and Orzammar. As far as characters, Mass Effect came out before Dragon Age so you can't expect a lot of change from the older ones. The only real thing I'm hoping is that the voice acting is as good as some of the main characters in DA (Morrigan, FTW) but I already know that since Tali and Garrus are in the game, my insanely awesome voice acting desires will be fulfilled. Combat between games is totally different so it's not like DA can set any standard there. One thing I hope they don't do from DA is the terrible items you always pick up. Like, I'm at the last boss level and I'm picking up Elm Shortbows. What the hell would I need that for?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Cerza
    @Snide: I do think we are going to see some spill over from Dragon Age into Mass Effect 2. I think it's naive to think otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Age's Tactics system reappears in Mass Effect 2, on the PC at least. I wouldn't be surprised if the debauchery of the whore house carries over given the "our games have sex" direction Bioware has taken. That's not a bad thing by any means I quite enjoyed the 4 some and it was always amusing to see what would happen if you told the matron "surprise me." I also wouldn't be surprised if the dark murky dirtiness we saw in Dragon's Age in terms of story, world, characters and decisions carries over to Mass Effect 2 given that it's much more realistic than the clear cut paths Bioware has presented in the past (KOTOR/ Mass Effect 1), and Bioware has stated that they are going for a darker game with Mass Effect 2.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Binman88
    @Killjoy said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " I hope they throw in some futuristic swords.  "
    You mean like this or this ? I think they made those game already. :p "
    Like that, only inMass Effect 2.

@Evilsbane said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    Dude I never even thought about that, how fucking awesome would that be? "
    Very awesome :P
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Shadow

I think ME2 is so far along in development that if anything is influenced by anything, it's been implemented already.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Skald

That's a really good question, considering how similar, yet different the two franchises are. 
    Some Mass Effect 2 related speculation: More sex, less context. Deeper lore. Crazy moral choices. And more differentiated split-classes. 
    Of course, this is Bioware we're talking about, so all bets are off.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kazona
    @snide: I actually think that some aspects of DA will spill over into ME2. I honestly wouldn't know what, but I remember an interview with one of the main Bioware dudes in which they said that the studios share ideas with each other. So, yea, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some stuff from DA in ME2. I even think that some things originally planned for ME2 also made it into DA:O.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Darkstar614

I hope the Tactics stuff carries over, at least somwhat. Not like Skill-point-required tactics slots, but maybe someway to tweak the AI of your party just a little bit. I think thats the main thing that should spill over from DAO.

Some other things would be better inventory and party member approval ratings.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By maxszy
    @snide: Definitely hoping the same degree in story telling. Everything from the variation in characters that are really engrossing yet can be completely different, to the main story of the whole campaign. There's no way Mass Effect is going to be as long as DA:O but I really hope it can be somewhere around the 20 hour mark if all you were to do is main story missions. 

Though they do develop independently, I would assume there is at least a somewhat consequential development sharing going on between different "wings" so to speak, of BioWare.
    Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Madyew

I would think that in terms of gameplay they would be very different, but I think some of the advancements made in the character and story development made by Dragon Age will also be seen in Mass Effect 2. I definitely expect Mass Effect 2 to be better because of the improvements Dragon Age made, and I'm a lot more excited for the game because of it, despite it being the middle chapter of a trilogy.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

Hopefully that super fucking cool blood splatter effect.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Systech

They're actually focusing harder on the shooter gameplay so about... almost none of it?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

Here's what needs to be in Mass Effect 2: 

• Good story
    • Guns
    • Alien sex
    • Leveling up
    • Lots of "systems"
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I do think the dark themes present in Dragon Age will make their mark in Mass Effect for better or worse.

Bozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bozo

Side Quests. I hated them in Mass Effect, loved them in Dragon age. 
    I think it was mostly about tying interesting characters, the lore of the world, and interesting scenarios together that made Dragon age win on side quests for me.  I do not care about travelling across the galaxy to examine some wreckage on some obscure moon noone gives a shit about. Give me a motivation.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By animateria

Nothing.

Mass Effect 2 expectations come from the first Mass Effect, not Dragon Age.

I'm just not feeling some of the new characters at all though, Subject Zero and Samara are just too over the top for being over the top sake.

Eh, I got Tali and I hope the other characters aren't like those two.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Most of my expectations for ME2 come from flaws in the first game, not dragon age. I expect them to fix the technical problems, make the shooting less janky, and make the sidequests suck less ass.

However, Dragon Age has made me appreciate party interaction far more, which was something that ME lacked. Of course, most of the party members from ME1 were kind of lame anyways. (which is another thing I expect them to improve. So far I have been less than enthralled by all the crazy vigilantes that Shepard seems to have following him, but there is hope yet.)

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By skrutop

I don't really see much difference between DA:O and KOTOR, honestly, except for the setting.  I expect ME2 to basically be the same game as the first ME, which falls in line with the other games that they've been churning out for several years.  That's not a complaint per se, as Bioware's level of craft is above many in their field.  However, there's a particular formula that you can expect from that company, despite the gameplay tweaks.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By damswedon

from what we have been told already it seems like ME2 Will have a influence system and the travel system will be similar to dragon age.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Doods, there's really no need to @reply Dave when you are responding in the thread he created. His inbox is most likely crammed with site related messages

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nail1080

More varied side quests, deeper combat with more variety (although that won't happen, it looks like a generic shooter from what I've seen)

and gay alien sex of course!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brendan

lol @ almost every poster replying directly to snide.  I wonder why this doesn't happen on regular users threads that much?
    Kaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Kaps

Many of you seem to be forgetting that Mass Effect came before Dragon Age, and KOTOR before Mass Effect. These games are feeding off each other and in each iteration they improve. I think that the question is not "how much DA:O is in ME2", but rather, "How much has Bioware learned"?

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NoXious
    • Character improvement in terms of depth. Compare DA:O to ME and you'll see a massive difference. Things such as gifts (which you find out through conversations with your members), perhaps even more banter between characters.
    • Side quests that don't just involve going to planet X or spaceship Y and clearing it out. I'd like to see more people, it was constantly some doofus on the other side asking me to do something.
    • Better placed characters in 'camp' (aka Normandy). MY GOD! I can't stand walking around for 15 minutes just to talk to 5 different people! Maybe even make the Normandy a bit more central ? It barely felt like 'home' to me in ME1.
    • I'd love to see some form of crafting system, I hated how I constantly got High-Caliber Barrels etc and not Stabilizers or Heat Sinks. Shops never seemed to have the proper upgrades either. This isn't a prio though, I just hate relying on luck since it is too random.
    • A means to alter AI. I saw that giving commands has already been improved, but to constantly give the same commands as soon as battles start? No thanks, I'd like my health regenerating tank to rush ahead every single time.

EDIT: Well Kaps, Baldur's Gate 2 came before KOTOR and that did the whole party thing better than maybe even Mass Effect? At the very least, superior to KOTOR. It's why I fear it might not make it in, it doesn't seem to apply to the public that loves ME I think.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By damswedon
    @Kaps: i hope that in the 2 years Bioware has been making ME2 they have learn't that it doesn't take 5 years to make a DA:O sized game.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By breadfan

I'd like to see more character choices in Mass Effect 2.  I mean sure the original Mass Effect allowed you to play how you wanted, but the decisions never really seemed to impact the actual game world, though there are obvious exceptions to this

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shiftshaper
    @Bozo said:
    "Side Quests. I hated them in Mass Effect, loved them in Dragon age.  I think it was mostly about tying interesting characters, the lore of the world, and interesting scenarios together that made Dragon age win on side quests for me.  I do not care about travelling across the galaxy to examine some wreckage on some obscure moon noone gives a shit about. Give me a motivation. "

Have we been playing the same game? I found the side quests in DA:O to be just as simple as in the first mass effect. It was basicly Read a billboard belonging to an organisation-->Go to 1 or a few more locations and kill some baddies-->Collect reward. And I read all the text, it wasnt exactly more compelling then your typical WoW quest as far as I could tell.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44  Edited By DrRandle

Honestly I thought Mass Effect was a better game in just about every facet so... hopefully their won't be any influence.

I also hope ME2 will be less generic in it's overall story and less wanna-be Star Wars. There are far richer science fiction elements and ideas to be drawing upon.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Jimbo
    @skrutop said:
    " I don't really see much difference between DA:O and KOTOR, honestly, except for the setting.  I expect ME2 to basically be the same game as the first ME, which falls in line with the other games that they've been churning out for several years.  That's not a complaint per se, as Bioware's level of craft is above many in their field.  However, there's a particular formula that you can expect from that company, despite the gameplay tweaks. "
    This is exactly how I feel about it.  They are great games but, apart from the combat itself, they are all essentially the same great game.  I just finished up DA after ~80 hours and I can't think of anything in it that I would consider a game-changer.

Which elements from DA specifically did you have in mind, Dave?

The only new (?) feature I can think of that I liked was the environmental battle stuff (releasing the caged Mabari, using Ballistas etc.), which was fun but only used a handful of times in DA.  I don't remember if it's been done by Bioware before but I thought the Gift mechanism was particularly dumb, as are the improved companion stats due to them 'liking your leadership'.

I really hope they've changed how they handle companions in ME2, because that whole system feels so mechanical and tired now.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By trophyhunter

I don't think one would influence the other at all 
    they are both radically different games

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jmrwacko

I would like them to do away with the paragon/renegade points and use a character relations model like in Dragon Age. But they already stated they're doing paragon/renegade like the first game, so w/e. Cut and dry moral choices that force my conversations one way or another are sort of annoying. There could at least be some sort of reward for maintaining a neutral moral standing, like in Fallout 3.

But yeah, this game is going to be the greatest thing since wonderbread.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Bozo said:
    " Side Quests. I hated them in Mass Effect, loved them in Dragon age.  I think it was mostly about tying interesting characters, the lore of the world, and interesting scenarios together that made Dragon age win on side quests for me.  I do not care about travelling across the galaxy to examine some wreckage on some obscure moon noone gives a shit about. Give me a motivation. "
    I actually loved the idea of planet exploration. If they have more explorable planets per system, or at least more exotic explorable planets, and have more than just mineral nodes and the hidden stronghold or two, I'd be motivated enough to 100% it.
    Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Such a good question...been thinking aout this a lot lately.

The bottom line for m is that my personal expectations have completely shifted, to the point where I have enjoyed playing Dragon Age on PC SO MUCH that im actually considering getting ME2 on PC as to up the 'RPG' ante. Theres something about playing on a PC, with high resolutions, tiny text, quick select slots etc. than immerses me so much more in the experience. Im hoping to emulate this feeling now with the (hopefully different and tweaked) PC version of ME2.

As to your actual question - I dont really think that the two development teams will have influenced each other in any greater sense than subtle enhancements of some generally common features.
    For instance - the 'camera work' in the dialog and cut-scenes in Dragon Age benefited from the collective wisdom gained by Bioware from ME (given the common complaint about ME being the static, bland dialog scene - common to most 3d Bioware games, KOTOR especially). ME was by far the most graphically accomplished and well presented/cinematic game bioware have ever made (at least in 3D), and I think it shows in Dagon Age - they have 'matured', I guess would be one way to put it.

So, the only way I can think of is that this feature will be evn more refined, although in my personal opinion much of the quality of Dragon Age's presentation was probably gleaned form the ME/ME2 teams in the first place so who knows....

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By makari

If you mean in terms of how the narrative and supporting characters and their development and depth are of a much higher quality and sidequests tend to actually mean something, then I would certainly hope so. I think it's a little much to expect a Dragon Age: 40k out of ME2 (especially since their core systems are radically different), but I totally expect the fluff side of the game to be of a higher quality than the original.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.