Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Is Arrival worth it?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

Huge fan of this game, it was my GOTY 2010, played through it abou 3 times and I've played all the DLC and I'm desperate for more, even read the books and comics

So bearing all that in mind, should I buy this DLC? I loved all the other ones

UPDATED

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

Was on sale not too long ago. Probably should've picked it up then. I have it but haven't played it yet but from what I've heard it's worth it

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Dylabaloo

@Venatiosaid:

Huge fan of this game, it was my GOTY 2010, played through it abou 3 times and I've played all the DLC and I'm desperate for more, even read the books and comics

So bearing all that in mind, should I buy this DLC? I loved all the other ones

Definitely someone like you that's even read the books will get more out of it then others. I bought recently, and even though it was way too combat focused for my liking, i'm still glad I played it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By tourgen

I'm a huge fan too, read the books, comics and all that. played thru the game multiple times on PC and Xbox. speed run attempts with my vanguard build on insane.

Arrival is alright. It's a pretty decent multi-stage mission with some story tie-ins to help explain a few things. You don't get your AI team. They try a really primitive sneak/alternate path thing at the beginning which might get expanded to something more substantial in ME3?

Is it worth the cash under normal circumstances? No. Certainly not. But to a fan like you and I, yup. Definitely worth it. It's just short.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

I bought it but never played it.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Venatio

@Swoxx said:

Was on sale not too long ago. Probably should've picked it up then. I have it but haven't played it yet but from what I've heard it's worth it

Yeah I think I skipped that because a Gold account is needed for sale offers and the difference wasn't that huge

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Ramone

No. It's pretty poor really. However it does set-up ME3 in a pretty major way

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tylea002

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You should probably wait for a sale. It will tie to beginning of Mass Effect 3 but you can't really make any choices in it and it's more combat focused which never been ME2 strong part. So you should play it just for the story but it's probably not worth the full price.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By probablytuna

If you want more Mass Effect 2, go right ahead and get Arrival. It sort of sets up the events leading up to Mass Effect 3 which is pretty cool.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Do you still enjoy the combat? If so then yeah, because that's close to all there is. The story is lacking, Shepard's on his own this time around with no party members, you have very little bearing on how the story will pan out, it's only around an hour long and there's quite literally nothing new introduced - minus Admiral Hacket's aged-Zaeed-face. I too really enjoyed ME2 btw; completed it 5 times, though I haven't read any of the novels/comics, and I thought it was a waste of money. But that was because, alongside everything else, I was completely exhausted with the combat by that point, so hence I'd say why it all strongly depends on whether or not you still enjoy fighting against the same enemies with the weapons and powers in more of the same environments.

If you're mostly in it for the story, I'd recommend you just watch it all on youtube since again it's not like there's anything noteworthy you can import from Arrival into ME3; the story stuff that occurs in ME3 related to Arrival will happen whether you've played through it or not.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EuanDewar

No, its really not.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shinigami420

NO

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By pyromagnestir

I thought it was good. Don't remember it having any good paragon/renegade choices so it doesn't encourage 2 playthroughs, and the early stealth part might be annoying if you want the achievement but don't have an infiltrator with cloak, which I had so it was nothing. But it was on par with the quality of mass effect 2 I'd say.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cloudenvy

I really dislike Arrival.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mike76x

@pyromagnestir said:

I thought it was good. Don't remember it having any good paragon/renegade choices so it doesn't encourage 2 playthroughs, and the early stealth part might be annoying if you want the achievement but don't have an infiltrator with cloak, which I had so it was nothing. But it was on par with the quality of mass effect 2 I'd say.

There wasn't any need for "stealth" because the AI is really stupid.

As much as I love Mass Effect, Arrival was really disappointing.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Ghostiet

Not really. It's 2 hours of solo combat mixed in with an unnecessary appearance by Admiral Hackett (who suddenly has a face for no damn reason) and a decision that sets up Shepard's arrival on Earth at the beginning of Mass Effect 3. I'd say you get it anyway, but look for a sale or something.

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By xXwindoverXx

If you want to know why you're on trial on Mass Effect 3 and have a choice for your counterargument then yes.

MWeiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MWeiss

Arrival is probably the worst DLC and one of the worst parts of the game. Just play Shadow Broker again.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

no

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Only if you really like NE2, or money is no object for you. It's a decent bit of story in the Mass Effect universe, but it's not as good as the rest of ME2. If I read a short story about Arrival, I'd be about as excited.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Kiro

Arrival is far better then any of the books, so if you liked those then just get arrival dude, you won't regret it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

No. Worst one of the DLCs by far.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperCycle

The motivations of the characters made no sense to me, but apparently like shadow broker it's supposed to connect to the third game. If you want all your save games to connect to the third, then yes you should pick it up. If your looking for high quality DLC then you should probably pass. It's short and combat heavy.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DonPixel

I think so yes, not the best or the longest DLC if you a ME fan it's allright. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

@Ramone said:

Pretty much that.

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By astonish

I was just going to write "only if you are a huge fan" I too have read all the books, comics, etc and loved the other DLC. This DLC isn't *bad* as much as it is just really short and really doesn't give you anything new. The plot rundown works like this: "Don't forget the reapers are coming!" as if we could forget. I'd say do it just for completionists sake, but don't expect anything nearly as good as LOTSB or overlord

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Lance Henricksen = YES!

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By selbie

No.

Basic summary: "Yo dawg, we're coming for you!"

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Loose

It's nowhere near the quality of LotSB or Overlord (although I found Overlord rather tedious, especially on multiple playthroughs). I don't regret my purchase though; buy it if you really love yourself some ME and/or are at all concerned about missing out on content that might tie-in to ME3.

AshGooner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AshGooner

The worst Mass Effect 2 DLC by far. Even the Alternative Appearance Pack has more going for it.

Lacks polish - "They've seen us" - Commander Shepard. You're own your own, dude." - Me

Also removes a major decision from your hands, which for a Mass Effect game is like taking a big dump on my chest; and I'm just not into that sort of thing.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cornman89

No.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By phantomzxro

It was ok i liked it for what it was. The problem is i don't know how much it will play into mass effect 3. It does get you excited to jump into mass effect 3, but if you don't have to have everything unlike me you can pass or at the very least wait for a sell because i'm sure they will have one  before  mass effect 3 comes out.
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DougQuaid

As others have stated above, steer clear. Remember the Quick Look Brad and Ryan (I think) did of it? Few do. They unknowingly played through pretty much the entire thing and I'm guessing EA and/or Bioware told them to take it down because of it.

If it's still going for full price, you're basically paying seven or eight bucks to have Bioware tell you "Hey guy, Mass Effect 3 is coming!" 'Damn shame considering how good Shadow Broker was..

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By nywt

It does a really good job of tying Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3 but in terms of actual game-play, it's pretty sub-par.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@Ramone said:

One could just watch the ME3 trailers and save themselves $10.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fenris82

I think it's a pretty big letdown compared to Lair of the Shadow Broker.

On the other hand I'm glad I played it simply for the small snippet it covers that links ME2 and ME3 together.

If you're a big ME fan then yes. Otherwise you can live without it, I'd say

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(spoilers ahead)

I just watched a play-through of this DLC on Youtube and I have to say its pretty damn awful. The bulk of it is repetitive solo combat against generic military dudes in boring old corridors. But the worst part is that the story aspect is just downright terrible. Not only are there no real choices to be made here, but the plot makes no goddamn sense at all:

Firstly, you get contacted by Admiral whatshisface of the Alliance. After all this fucking time, he just shows up saying that some random scientist lady somewhere has evidence of the Reaper invasion and they want you to go in alone to rescue her from a Batarian prison. Firstly its never made very clear how the fuck she got captured in the first place, since she (somehow) has an entire army of military dudes at her disposal back at their base.

So once rescued, the scientist lady explains that her people have prepared this 'project' to stop the Reaper invasion by blowing up a mass relay. Ok, fair enough. And predictably within minutes she turns on you and reveals that she is actually working for the Reapers. Oook.. So why did she tell you about the project in the first place? Or an even better question is, why on earth didn't she just take down the whole project once she went over to the Reapers?

Anyway no time to think about that nonsense, cause you get knocked unconscious and held prisoner for two whole days; during which no one from the Normandy bothers to come looking for you, and none of the bad guys at the project base think to maybe tie you up or throw away your equipment. So of course you wake up, grab your shit and pick up where you left off by shooting more waves of dudes. Eventually you come across a control station for the whole project thing. Its so ridiculous that this thing is just there and left open to access by anyone; it might as well be a giant red button saying 'DO NOT PRESS OR YOU WILL RUIN ALL OUR EVIL PLANS'.

Anyway, you activate the project and do some more shooting, until eventually you manage to get out of there with the Normandy and the mass relay blows up. But not before you have a dumb conversation with a floating image of Harbinger (the Reaper from ME2) that just inexplicably shows up out of nowhere. Its dumb in the sense that the Reapers (the all powerful race of ancient machine-beings who have destroyed and harvested the entire galaxy many times over) are now getting really pouty with Shepard because she helped destroy one and a half Reapers, which should be nothing considering the supposed near-infinite number of these things! And now all of a sudden the focus is all up on Earth and humans, even though they are just a tiny matter compared to THE ENTIRETY OF THE GALAXY!

The whole thing just seems clumsily thrown together quickly to (poorly) explain the opening of ME3, which apparently involves Shepard going back to Earth to stand trial. Even (the usually excellent) Jennifer Hale sounded really bored and disinterested the whole time throughout this DLC. Glad I didn't buy it and I recommend you don't either. I really hope they don't carry this shoddy work into ME3.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45

Well jesus, seems like a lot of people hated it. I thought it was pretty decent.. It wasn't Shadow Broker, but I enjoyed playing through it. I'd say go for it.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MideonNViscera

If you're obsessed with ME like you appear to be, then it's worth it. I wouldn't tell anyone who doesn't love ME to buy it though. It's fairly short and insubstantial.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 137

@EuanDewar said:

No, its really not.

It's suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper short.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Venatio

Here is an update on my playthrough, I just replayed all of Mass Effect 2, literally every single mission, on PC and did all of the DLC to have the save I want into Mass Effect 3 and just minutes ago finished The Arrival

It was alittle short and the beginning was weak but man that ending was awesome.

I just commited genocide against the batarians by crashing a giant asteroid into a mass relay and wiping out an entire star system and I finally got to meet Admiral Hackett, a.k.a Lance Henriksen. It was fucking awesome, Oh yeah and I got to have a Sovereign style conversation with Harbinger

Oh yeah I replayed it because I thought the PC version was better, played it on 360 before

N7Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By N7Joker

You're a ME nut like me so you will enjoy it. You may find it's not quite worth the price but you will have fun none the less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.