Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Is the PS3 save data corruption really a big problem?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I've noticed on a few sites that many users were complaining about their saves being corrupted and it seems to be a pretty big problem. KaosAngel made a thread about how his was deleted and it seems like it's in line with what others are saying. Has anyone else had this experience? I can imagine that it must totally suck for a save to be deleted from a game with so much content as Mass Effect 2, what a sour way to introduce such a great franchise to a new platform.  

Is it really a big problem or would you say this is just sensationalist?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

I've never had a file delete itself on me. If I remember correctly KaosAngel said that it has happened with other games, right? Maybe its just a problem with his PS3. If it were a big problem then I imagine there would be so much outrage that it would be impossible not to notice. That doesn't seem to be the case so I bet you are in the clear.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy
    @Sasran: Take a look here

I initially found this after simply searching "Bioware" on google. It's the very first news item that pops up so it must becoming more prevalent.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ravensword

hasnt happened to me yet *knock on wood*  

Is it unsafe to do the Shadwo broker mission? I hear peopel saying thats where the game can potentialy do this. i do hope Bioware is good on patching this version even if its a eyar old. I wouldnt mind them fixing the sound synching issues.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @xyzygy: 
    Wow, okay. I skimmed about 3 pages of that and there was enough people reporting corruption that I believe there may be a problem with ME2.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

The worst thing about this is that it not only affects your ME2 save file but corrupts everything on your hard drive. At least that's what I'm getting from the posts on the official Bioware forums. It looks almost out of control, go and look at all the raging posts... very sad :( people are losing all their save files for all the games they've ever played on the system.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By luce

Played about 40 hours so far. No save data corruption. Just back up your save (if you're really paranoid, turn off autosave) and you should be fine.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By hermes
    @luce said:
    " Played about 40 hours so far. No save data corruption. Just back up your save (if you're really paranoid, turn off autosave) and you should be fine. "

Unfortunately, that won't help, since the corrupted file is the profile save, which is shared throughout all saves (which means parallel saves get corrupted too) and the file is copy protected.  

I will put that game back to the queue until a patch is released. Too bad since I was really enjoying it so far...
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

Found a solution, simply play ME2 on pc and you shouldn't have any issues.  

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @luce said:
    " Played about 40 hours so far. No save data corruption. Just back up your save (if you're really paranoid, turn off autosave) and you should be fine. "
    You can't backup saves that are copy protected.  Since late 2010, most PS3 games are preventing a backup of it.
    hyperfludd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By hyperfludd

Running a game that's 30+ hours, only had about 2 lock-ups so far.   

I'm thinking about putting the game down for a while though, at least until a patch comes through. It'll give me some time to finish up LBP2 and some DS games, because damn..Mass Effect 2 really sucked me in!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By luce
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @luce said:
    You can't backup saves that are copy protected.  Since late 2010, most PS3 games are preventing a backup of it. "
    I just backed up my save to a USB stick not 5 minutes ago. Same with Fallout New Vegas. Are you sure about that?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Enigma777
    @KaosAngel: Not that many games use locked saves actually. Though the ones that do are lame as fuck!!!  

Learn to make better trophy security for your games, developers!
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @luce: Either you got a magical copy of the game or you're lying out your teeth. 

Everytime you try to copy the game it says it's not allowed and when  you go on the information tab for ME2 it flat out says Copy Prohibited.  GT5 does the same thing, as do other games that came out in the late 2010/early 2011.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By luce
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @luce: Either you got a magical copy of the game or you're lying out your teeth. 
    "
    *sigh* 

Try the actual save data and not the settings configuration data 

No Caption Provided
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @luce: That is the save data, only one there.  People on the Bioware forums are complaining too.  Saves are locked out.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By ryanwho

Some people like playing Russian Roulette and for them this is bound to be a bit of fun.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By cjmabry
     EDIT: I'm posting this in a new thread so people will see it.

I was reading into it and while I don't have a PS3 or the game, here's some info to help you guys posted by one of the official dudes in the forum.  

Chris Priestly wrote...

Hello everyone.

We are aware that a small group of Playstation 3 users are getting corrupted saves while playing Mass Effect 2. We are aware of the issue and we are working on a patch to fix it. This issue is caused by too many level transitions within a single gaming session. Players who play for an extended period may encounter this issue.

In the mean time, there is a very simple work around to prevent this issue. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue. 

So take a break from Mass Effect2 by shutting down your game, say hello to your loved ones or take the dog for a walk and then restart and keep playing. 

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Dreamfall31

Finished the game without any problems at all.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@KaosAngel said:

" @luce: Either you got a magical copy of the game or you're lying out your teeth. 

Everytime you try to copy the game it says it's not allowed and when  you go on the information tab for ME2 it flat out says Copy Prohibited.  GT5 does the same thing, as do other games that came out in the late 2010/early 2011.  

"
    I backed up my gran turismo 5 save using the backup utility onto and external drive when i upgraded my harddrive absolutely no problems at all so...
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @cjmabry: this is hilarious cause he's essentially insulting everyone who's had this issue and saying they should stop playing so much and pay more attention to their poor deprived loved ones

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.