Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mako or Scanning Planets

• 71 results
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dany
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Dany

Which do you perfer. Neither are great or fun or even....well designed but which do you think is better?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

Scanning planets takes less time, but I enjoy the feeling of rolling around in my tank exploring planets, even if the planets are mostly boring.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sixghost

Neither, but if i had to choose... i'd scan. At least with scanning I can just get that upgrade and only quickly scan rich planets.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

the mako was horrible, and the scanning was boring as hell.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By General_D23

Scanning planets, definately.

Though I am really interested in how the Hammerhead will turn out.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Driving is much better. I hate holding LT while pushing the right stick to the left, and then hitting RT to launch a stupid probe. Let me drive.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

I'd rather use a Mako that didn't control like shit than either of the other two.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By teptom

Scanning the planets relaxes me. Driving the Mako just pissed me off, so I prefer the scanning.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercator

The problem for me wasnt the controls, or the Mako, it was the fact they gave us a square to drive in, and it was nothing but mountains. I explored every one of those squares in a criss cross pattern, looking for something interesting, and what do ya know, I never found a thing. Scanning is so much easier, and less time consuming.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

Scanning planets + pants down.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

That's kind of hard question. The Mako could have controlled a lot worse, it was always fun going around on the empty planets.

FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FalconCritical

I preferred the Mako, driving around and finding little outposts and that kind of thing was pretty fun - a highlight of Mako driving was looking at the sky in different worlds, and how the planet description translated to the atmosphere where you were.  Mako driving wasn't bad on PC anyway, climbing some hills and stuff was troublesome but WASD to drive and mouse to aim is natural to anyone that's played mechwarrior or GTA.  The scanning - while faster it felt like something that the ship should be doing itself, or at least have some crew members gathering resources while you were off on an away team.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Rather than feeding my fish... I wish Kelly would make herself a little more useful and scan planets for me.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Liminality

I liked Mako...

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stephengotlost

It would be more fun if you could drive around the planet environments and pick up minerals as you drive around.

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nelander

scanning planets for mineral might be boring but for mission is a non-issue, in the other hand the mako was bad experience all the time

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

We really can't have this discussion until the Hammerhead DLC comes out and we see if the new vehicle for ME2 sucks less ass. But if I had to choose I would scan planets. Sure, it's tedious as all hell, but thankfully if you get the Long Service Medal achievement (Play through the game twice or once with an imported character) you start with 50K of each resource on subsequent playthroughs, which removes a lot of the hassle, especially since you will never need that much Element Zero. 

The Mako segments in ME1 are the bane of my existence. Considering that there is one on every single main quest and every single sidequest outside the Citadel, they are an unavoidable menace that had to be endured throughout.

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nelander
    @ArbitraryWater said:

The Mako segments in ME1 are the bane of my existence. Considering that there is one on every single main quest and every single sidequest outside the Citadel, they are an unavoidable menace that had to be endured throughout. "
    I wanted a female renegade save, but didn't make one on my initial ME1 runs, the Mako it is pretty much what is stopping me for doing another run. Just the thought of having to drive it is enough to discourage me.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I loved driving the Mako. Exploring planets was fun even though most the planets were pretty boring I still enjoyed it. Although I'm talking about the PC version. I've never played the 360 version so I don't know about the horrors of those controls.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman

Both are completely horrible.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By Jayross

Neither.

They should have fixed the mako, and made the planets a bit more interesting.

I can bet that the planet scanning feature won't be in ME3.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By raidingkvatch

Scanning Planets can consume far less time than the mako and isn't required for side-missions, however I did quite enjoy driving the mako for a short amount of time, and therefore would have preferred them to improve those sections rather than, or in addition to the new planet scanning mechanic

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mako. 

The design of it, and how it traversed planets had an inspiring look and feel to it. They just needed to ameliorate the concept a bit; having the same side quest structure in ME2, added with the Mako would make the game fucking awesome.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hourai

Mako. Scanning is boring as hell and takes a long time, even with the upgrade. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andorski

I listen to podcasts to pass the time when scanning the planets, so it's not too bad.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @ArbitraryWater: On the story planets on ME1, you can run past everything on the Mako segments for the most part. This is true even on Insanity (in fact, I'd say it's the preferable strategy on Insanity).

(I'm aware that this is far from completely removing the tedium of the Mako, but just saying)
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cornman89

Scanning gets me shit.

The Mako didn't get me shit.

So scanning.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mano521

all i played so far is the first mass effect, but i can say that i would much rather just scan some planets than try driving that garbage again.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nekroskop

Those Makomissions will haunt me forever..
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Red

Scanning time can be greatly reduced by using a guide, and I find it easier to scan while listening to a podcast. 
    Mako, on the other hand, cannot be. And the rewards for driving the Mako were much less than for scanning.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By RedSox8933

I actually like scanning planets. It's the kind of sci-fi that I like. I really like reading the history of each planet and scanning it, while sometimes tedious, feels like something that a captain of a starship should have to do.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By belaraphon

i'd rather scan planets than drive the mako.  scanning planets isn't so bad. by the time i beat the game i think i had scanned and fully tapped out about 15 rich planets.  i had all of the ship upgrades and a vast majority of the armor/weapon research complete.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think every argument out there that is anti-Mako is totally right. 

BUT, there is something about using the thrusters on the Mako and seeing what sort of ridiculous maneuver you can (not) pull off that was really satisfying. It totally broke the tone and the immersion of the game, but it was good to zone out a bit. 

And then, when Thresher Maws attacked. Holy shit.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I think I prefer the basic concept of the Mako, rather than the concept of scanning planets.
    The concept of landing on planets and exploring it would be better with a new vehicle, and actually having different looking planets.

Scanning is just boring.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Jeust
      @FalconCritical said: 

" I preferred the Mako, driving around and finding little outposts and that kind of thing was pretty fun - a highlight of Mako driving was looking at the sky in different worlds, and how the planet description translated to the atmosphere where you were.  Mako driving wasn't bad on PC anyway, climbing some hills and stuff was troublesome but WASD to drive and mouse to aim is natural to anyone that's played mechwarrior or GTA.  The scanning - while faster it felt like something that the ship should be doing itself, or at least have some crew members gathering resources while you were off on an away team. "

@Suicidal_SNiper said: 

" I loved driving the Mako. Exploring planets was fun even though most the planets were pretty boring I still enjoyed it. Although I'm talking about the PC version. I've never played the 360 version so I don't know about the horrors of those controls. "

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

" The Mako.   The design of it, and how it traversed planets had an inspiring look and feel to it. They just needed to ameliorate the concept a bit; having the same side quest structure in ME2, added with the Mako would make the game fucking awesome. "

Even if most of the times, except in Bring Down the Sky, it was boring driving the Mako, i loved it. I never had an experience or though i was exploring an unknown world as vividly as i had with the Mako. They were boring but totally worth it!
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By maxszy

Scanning planets. Easy. Hands down. I actually enjoy it in small batches...its a nice soothing thing to do between all the action. In my opinion on the other hand.

The Make on the flip side...was horribly designed, and boring as hell. Frustrating too. 

Scanning planets is WAY better.

xatmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xatmos

Personally, I liked the Mako. But whatever your preference, what this poll actually shows is that they replaced a much criticized component of their game with something that is apparently only slightly more appealing to the masses. In other words, even if scanning is better, its still a failure. Don't take my comment the wrong way though, I love ME2.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " The Mako.   The design of it, and how it traversed planets had an inspiring look and feel to it. "
    Yeah RAGE inspiring.  The Mako was shit and obviously something that they were never happy with because its controls were thoroughly redesigned for the PC release (yes, I know Demiurge did the port).
    xatmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xatmos

The controls were worse on PC...

mcmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mcmuffin

I wish you can just send someone else to do the scanning, I mean shit I'm commander of the f**king  Normandy, why do I have to do it.  But something nice that they could do in ME3 is something like Assassin Creed 2 with passively earning money, but in this case it would be minerals by like investing in something to mine for me while I'm on missions and cruising space.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fentonalpha

My arm started to hurt so much scanning planets on ME2 PC.... sure the Mako wasn't perfect but if they tweaked it and put more in it would have been worth keeping.  Mako needs to control more like the Warthog from Halo.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Systech

I actually enjoy the hunt of the scanning a bit more.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bibledoctor

Scanning isn't too bad with the upgrade that makes it quicker, too many bad memories of raging with the Mako to go back to it.

bozosc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bozosc

I shouldn't have to search were to scan if there is stuff on the planet just give it to me, but the mako sucks the most i never gathered anything with that in the first at least with scanning i improved my weapons

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#48  Edited By BeachThunder

Mako.

The Mako wasn't too horrendous; it had potential. A lot of the time I felt it was nice exploring around different planets. I think the biggest problem here was the terrain designs.  

To me Planet Scanning was tedious and just plain un-fun. I think the best way of improving scanning would have been just to make it an automated process. ie. visiting a planet and pressing a button to receive whatever minerals were on that planet. That way there's still the satisfaction of exploring planets without the tedium that is planet scanning.

(PC)

xatmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xatmos

Yeah, I too think that most of the hate for the Mako is actually meant for the terrain designer. Some planets had POIs that were just impossible to get to without have to climb some 90 degree grades (Nodacrux).

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ThePencil

I enjoyed the mako a crap load, found it fun to visit tons of almost desolate planets and then: BAM, Thresher Maw. Or something else interesting, hell sometimes I went planet hopping just to explore stuff on foot. The mineral scanner I found to be far less interesting, far too detracted and left me wanting a sticky control for the LB trigger (ended up having to use an elastic band to keep scanning)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.