Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 Goes Multiplatform and More News From EA

• 124 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    "Clear and simple, our titles did not perform to our expectations."
    EA's John Riccitiello got on the horn to talk investors and other interested parties through the particulars of its quarterly earnings today. As you probably know, these types of calls are typically focused on the business side, with lots of number crunching and--as these things go these days--some hand-wringing, as well. But if you just want some game details, there's a chunk of that stuff to go over, as well. Here's a quick rundown:

• The previously announced layoffs across the company have raised from 1,000 jobs to approximately 1,100. 12 EA-owned locations will be consolidated, which is up from the previously announced nine.
    • The Godfather II has been bumped back to sometime between April and June of 2009. The company cited marketing challenges and a cluttered marketplace for the delay.
    • The Sims 3 has been pushed back to June 2.
    • The PC version of Dragon Age: Origins has been delayed to the back half of 2009 and will now coincide with the console releases of the game.
    • EA plans to do more and better work on the Wii, because that's where the money is. As such, the company is working on a Dead Space game for the Wii. It wasn't a full, formal announcement, though. So we're not sure if this is a Wii version of the original or if it's going to be Dead Space: Chop 'Til You Drop or something.
    • Mass Effect 2 will be a multiplatform game.
    • Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (potentially not its actual name) will hit consoles in Q1 2010.

Holy crap, we're talking about games that will come out in 2010 already? Dude, we live in the future. The company is also working to reduce spending and putting a greater focus on marketing. Getting behind the games that it puts out in a bigger way seems like a sound idea to me.

EA is making noise like it's going to go after the "core" market on the Wii pretty hard to capitalize on Nintendo's big installed base. If Dead Space was released on all four major platforms at the same time (PS3, 360, PC, and Wii), would you buy the Wii version? Aside from some potentially interesting dismemberment mechanics, that doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play with anything other than a dual-stick gamepad.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    "Clear and simple, our titles did not perform to our expectations."
    EA's John Riccitiello got on the horn to talk investors and other interested parties through the particulars of its quarterly earnings today. As you probably know, these types of calls are typically focused on the business side, with lots of number crunching and--as these things go these days--some hand-wringing, as well. But if you just want some game details, there's a chunk of that stuff to go over, as well. Here's a quick rundown:

• The previously announced layoffs across the company have raised from 1,000 jobs to approximately 1,100. 12 EA-owned locations will be consolidated, which is up from the previously announced nine.
    • The Godfather II has been bumped back to sometime between April and June of 2009. The company cited marketing challenges and a cluttered marketplace for the delay.
    • The Sims 3 has been pushed back to June 2.
    • The PC version of Dragon Age: Origins has been delayed to the back half of 2009 and will now coincide with the console releases of the game.
    • EA plans to do more and better work on the Wii, because that's where the money is. As such, the company is working on a Dead Space game for the Wii. It wasn't a full, formal announcement, though. So we're not sure if this is a Wii version of the original or if it's going to be Dead Space: Chop 'Til You Drop or something.
    • Mass Effect 2 will be a multiplatform game.
    • Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (potentially not its actual name) will hit consoles in Q1 2010.

Holy crap, we're talking about games that will come out in 2010 already? Dude, we live in the future. The company is also working to reduce spending and putting a greater focus on marketing. Getting behind the games that it puts out in a bigger way seems like a sound idea to me.

EA is making noise like it's going to go after the "core" market on the Wii pretty hard to capitalize on Nintendo's big installed base. If Dead Space was released on all four major platforms at the same time (PS3, 360, PC, and Wii), would you buy the Wii version? Aside from some potentially interesting dismemberment mechanics, that doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play with anything other than a dual-stick gamepad.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

*cries at Dragon Age delay*

truebornracer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By truebornracer

I heard something about Mass Effect 2 being in 2010, was that mentioned at all?

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

YES!!!!!!! sorry. lol. ME was my favorite 360 game, and since i don't have a 360 anymore, i'm really glad (but not totally surprised) the sequel is coming out for PS3. now if only they could get around to rereleasing the 1st on the PS3 so i won't have to start over with my character...

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Alphazero

Slicing off necromorphic body parts with a Wii controller could be fun. Beats collecting star bits.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Wow, that's a lot of info.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

Cool more people can enjoy the game then.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RawShark

Multiplatform Mass Effect doesn't make much sense other than NEED MONIES ECONOMY IS RUBBISH. I can see a lot of other franchises like ME going multiplatform.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer

Mass Effect 2 multiplat?! I'm not really surprised, but disappointed. That was a 360 love child.

KiwiJulce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KiwiJulce

Multiplatform as in 360/PC

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Computerplayer1

I know I'm supposed to feel happy inside that more people will get to play the awesomeness that is Mass Effect 2...but I'm selfish.

Leave it to EA to whore a franchise.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By End_Boss

As a 360 Mass Effect fanboy, I am elated that PS3 and PC gamers (let's face it, the Wii just ain't gonna' happen) will get to experience the indubitably amazing ME2.
    A collective Ric Flair "Wooo!" is called for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdABlGoar9g&feature=related

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By tekmojo

Good deal.

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By JimmyJackJones

Dead Space on the Wii.  Hmm, I smell an on rails light gun shooter...

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 2 being multi-platform is cool/slightly weird. Cool because everyone gets to experience it now. Weird because....I thought this was supposed to be a direct sequel to a very story-driven game. Not that someone who only owns a PS3 can't research the story from the first game....but I think they'd be missing out on some stuff. And sometime ago wasn't it said that saves from ME1 could be used in ME2 to continue your character?

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HayFourZee

So Mass Effect is coming to ps3?

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Dryker

Uh,  want to reduce spending and focus on marketing? Sounds like they want to put less into the games and more on the "hype". Or, in other words, exactly why TV and Movies are so predominantly crap. They have to sound and look good before they actually are good. And, sorry if the "actually good" part gets cut because of budgeting restraints.

ONEmileperhour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ONEmileperhour

obviously i'm excited about mass effect 2. but i'm anticipating BF:BC2 a little more because i'm not sure what to expect. i think the original is a fine game (curiously it's one of the few console games i've been playing of late) but there was a lot of potential that can still be explored

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rivix
    Hay4z said:
    "So Mass Effect is coming to ps3?"
    I hope so. If it doesn't its unlikely I will pay for a sequel. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-590e87b419de4
    deactivated-590e87b419de4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a ME1 port to the PS3 would be great :) I played it on PC but I would still buy it for trophies and a chance to replay that great game !

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By macandcheese

They would have to port ME1 to PS3 if they wanted to have ME2 on it since the choices you make at the the end of ME1 look like they would have a huge effect on ME2.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude
  • EA plans to do more and better work on the Wii, because that's where the money is. As such, the company is working on a
    Jonnyfnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonnyfnc

I really hope they dont dumb down dead space for the wii. Lke with Chop till you drop they had to cut down the number of zombies, its not a big deal but it sucks none the less.

Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lane

Mass Effect 2 is PC/360 confirmed.

ncroal EA PR not confirming Mass Effect 2 for PS3, only 360 and PC. That's all folks. Back to a more manageable tweetstream.

Ngai Croal
    http://twitter.com/ncroal?page=1

One thing we do know for sure is that the game will be released on Xbox 360 and PC, although it's not yet known if it'll be a simultaneous release or if it will be staggered like the release of the first game was.

Gamespy
    http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mass-effect-2/950725p1.html
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Grim_Fandango

Yeah, when they say Mass Effect 2 goes multiplatform, I am assuming they mean PC/360, but it doesn't make sense they would say that either, guess we will just wait til' then...

Mass Effect was originally meant to be a 360 exclusive trilogy, then moved to the pc, but the port wasn't made fully by Bioware, making it for PS3 kinda contradicts there original intentions.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shadow

Saw that one coming.  But still, we better be able to transfer our chrarcters...or am I just imagining they promised that?  Also, where the hell is my Mass Effect DLC?  I need that extra 200 points

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By meptron

Mass Effect is old news. Will anybody actually buy it on the PS3 now? I know I won't. There are too many other games coming out to be playing last year's mediocre games.

rNilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By rNilla

I need a time travelling DeLorean so I can go play Mass Effect 2.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Serker

by multiplatform they mean itll be coming to the 360 and the DS

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I fucking knew it.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By pyromaniac

FUCK YOU EA....I guess we can expect a shitty ass game now. Thanks for selling yourself out Bioware...you are EA's bitch now...have fun.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dreamfall31

I wanted to get Mass Effect if I ever got  a 360, but I heard it was glichy like crazy.  Glad to hear ME2 will come on the PS3!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pibo47
    sirchode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#35  Edited By sirchode

I have to hand it to Riccitiello, the way he's running his company and the way he talks so candidly (especially during a conference call of all place) is really impressive.  A while back he talked about how publishers tend to oscillate between focusing on milking franchises and focusing on making original high-quality content, so while I expect them to eventually roll back into that rut I'm really enjoying what we're getting now.  Big props to him

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Karmum

I just really want some information on Mass Effect 2, and hopefully some gameplay footage in the near-future. I assumed that Mass Effect wasn't going to stay on the Xbox 360, exclusively. Then again, I knew ME 2 was going to the 360 and PC for several months. This was announced sometime last year.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Actually guys, it's multiplatform in a sense that it's coming to the pc and 360.  no secret this time.
    reading comprehension works, (and good links)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By End_Boss
    FoxMulder said:
    " I wanted to get Mass Effect if I ever got  a 360, but I heard it was glichy like crazy.  Glad to hear ME2 will come on the PS3!"
    Glitchy? Nah. Mass Effect is an extremely polished game. My guess is that whoever told you that just had a really bad experience.
    Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Hef

ME2 gone multiplatform? Oh no pyromaniac!  That must mean bioware has sold out!  Does it really matter?  Why would anyone wish a game to come out on less consoles? I wish killzone 2 would come out on the 360, because millions more would be able to play it.

On the other bits of news, I think they're pushing stuff back to have better looks sales during the next quarter.  There are a lot of high profile games still to come out this quarter, and to be honest, godfather 2 doesn't look like it'll be the strongest game.  I could very well be a great game, but i doubt many people would see it better than RE5, SF4, KZ2 plus the GTA and fallout DLC.  That is a lot of games. Smart decision i say.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Media_Master

They're playing it smart

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By warxsnake

battlefield 3 :(

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pibo47
    Hef said:
    "ME2 gone multiplatform? Oh no pyromaniac!  That must mean bioware has sold out!  Does it really matter?  Why would anyone wish a game to come out on less consoles? I wish killzone 2 would come out on the 360, because millions more would be able to play it.

On the other bits of news, I think they're pushing stuff back to have better looks sales during the next quarter.  There are a lot of high profile games still to come out this quarter, and to be honest, godfather 2 doesn't look like it'll be the strongest game.  I could very well be a great game, but i doubt many people would see it better than RE5, SF4, KZ2 plus the GTA and fallout DLC.  That is a lot of games. Smart decision i say."
    Sad thing about KZ2 is that if it selling more than a mil...ill be surprised...and why the fuck wont bold turn off.DAMNTItnreouihgoae r

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hatking

They should make ME2 include ME1 so PS3 players can play it and 360 players can play it again.  Or at least port it to PS3.  I know I've been considering playing through it again ever since my last HDD was stolen.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bartholomew999

I would absolutely play through Mass Effect again on my PS3 just to catch up for numero 2.

liquidfkinfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By liquidfkinfire

The only part I take issue is this line: "reduce spending and putting a greater focus on marketing."
    What that really means is they don't to pay the developers enough, ship games before they're really ready, but we'll spend more on marketing this new turd we made to dupe dummies into buying.  How is this different than what EA ( or insert any large publisher ) has and continues to operate?

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#46  Edited By borgmaster

while Sony is apparently being bled dry of last gen's exclusives, while Microsoft can't keep it's current gen hits from going multiplat.....hm.

also if the multiplayer actually works this time, I'll definitely pick up BC2.

Bill_Hickz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bill_Hickz

Awesome hopefully they release the first Mass Effect aswell for the PS3 as it is still an amazing game and i have really been looking forward to the sequel.
    Battlefield BC2 yahhhhhhhhh my best multiplayer of 2008 hopefully the fix the lag and theyll have a COD4 killer, nothing was as satisfying  as patroling the the skies in a Helicopter with your mate in the gunner seat but once again fix the lag, instead of just us based servers chuck in a ANZAC server to.

halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By halfameatball

As nice as it would be for everyone to experience Mass Effect as possible I'm not sure people should be getting so excited about it coming to the PS3. It'd be great for PS3 only owners but multiplatform might not mean PS3. I wish EA would be more blunt about which systems the sequel will be coming to. And I hope that if it is coming to multiple systems one version doesn't lag behind in quality.

SLE4ZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SLE4ZY

EA meant Multiplatform for Mass Effect 2 as in Xbox 360 and PC. The game wasn't confirmed for the PS3 and probably wont be. Microsoft and BioWare have a deal and EA isnt going to break that deal to lose more money. Im just surprised it isnt coming this year. I was hoping Microsoft's lineup to have Mass Effect 2 on it.

smokepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By smokepants

Considering that Microsoft was the original ME publisher -- they basically funded the creation of that IP -- I'm sure they still retain some say over where it goes. Even though EA/Bioware retain ownership of the IP, Microsoft could easily have a right of first refusal clause, so it shouldn't be assumed that "multiplatform" means PS3.

Last summer, people assumed Tecmo was going to turn around and publish NG2 for PS3, even though Microsoft was the publisher on 360 and likely paid for much of the development. People didn't and still don't understand that publishers aren't inclined to invest in things that they have no control over. They tend to protect themselves, understandably.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.