Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Pachter : MassEffect2 won't be big hit will sell 200,000 on PC

• 145 results
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Just watched the Bonus Round part 1 on Game Trailers and Michael Pachter thinks Mass Effect 2 won't be a big hit, selling 1-2million on consoles and only 200,000 copies on PC.  

Garnett Lee agreed and thinks that the game's barriers to success will be the fact that some people haven't played the original and will be also scared off by the RPG nature of the game. 

Am I crazy or was Mass Effect a hit?  It sold 1.6 Million on XBOX 360 alone in the first six weeks.  
    While NPD won't produce data on total PC sales it remained in Direct2Drive's top ten for quite a while too.  I can't find Steam sales figures so if anyone knows or can point me to them it would be appreciated.

I think their PC sales prediction is extremely low.  What do you think?

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Darkstar614

This coming from the same guy who said "no one owns a PC faster than a ps3".

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Mrnitropb

Why...why do people listen to this D bag anymore?

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By fishmicmuffin

He thought people wouldn't appreciate Borderlands too. 1.36 million people  (on the xbox alone)   told him otherwise!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

PC gaming is dead.

... except for Farmville.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

That's the nature of his job, to make predictions. Much like a stockbroker's job, It's a game of guessing. To take his claims as abulote truth is the wrong thing to do and I am sure he will be the first person to admit that. However, claiming that everything he says is wrong is also a mistake. There's a reason the guy still has a job and believe me there are tons of analysts who would be happy to take over his job.  

Personally I am still trying to figure out when did selling 1-2 million copies became a "not a major hit".  

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @SeriouslyNow:@Darkstar614:@Mrnitropb:  He also said it could be game of the year, the OP is a lemming
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:@Darkstar614:@Mrnitropb:  He also said it could be game of the year, the OP is a lemming "
    I didn't say he said it would fail, he and Garnett Lee said it wouldn't be a hit with those predicted sales figures.  A Game of The Year is a critical success and may not relate to sales. 
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:@Darkstar614:@Mrnitropb:  He also said it could be game of the year, the OP is a lemming "
    I didn't say he said it would fail, he and Garnett Lee said it wouldn't be a hit with those predicted sales figures.  A Game of The Year is a critical success and may not relate to sales.  "
    ok but thats something you should have added as well because your post is making him sound like a pure ass, and what he says makes sense. I don't know who he is, this was my first time seeing him, but it made sense. There more piracy going on now then wen the first came out remember that..
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @DuhQbnSiLo: 

He is an ass.  He said that MW2 would outsell ANY game released at the same time and said that New Super Mario would be just "OK" sales wise.

Well NSMB Wii outsold MW2.  For a tech stock financial analyst he's wrong way too often.

You might want to do some research on the discussion and avoid throwing out useless epithets like "lemming" if you want to be taken seriously.  

If by lemming you mean a marsupial which has been misrepresented by an anti Semite as being seasonally suicidal by being pushed off a cliff, then I'm not sure how you connect my OP and that epithet. 
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jkz

Goodness gracious, get off of Pachter, he even said that the idea of a "big-hit" had changed post MW2. What he meant is that 1-2 million might no longer be considered a "big-hit," so even if ME2 sells very well, the idea of a big-hit, in the eyes of investors (this is key, since his job deals mainly with investors), has changed.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo: 

He is an ass.  He said that MW2 would outsell ANY game released at the same time and said that New Super Mario would be just "OK" sales wise.

Well NSMB Wii outsold MW2.  For a tech stock financial analyst he's wrong way too often.

You might want to do some research on the discussion and avoid throwing out useless epithets like "lemming" if you want to be taken seriously.  

If by lemming you mean a marsupial which has been misrepresented by an anti Semite as being seasonally suicidal by being pushed off a cliff, then I'm not sure how you connect my OP and that epithet.  "
    I dont care about that, i just dont like when people like you, take one sentence out of a paragraph to judge. I think the GOTY part is big piece you left out for ppl who don't know who hes like me, just was to see what he says. Now if i didn't watch the video i would have thought he was calling it garbage the way you make it sound. that all im trying to imply by the lemming, (making ppl follow over the cliff, you get it now)
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Goodness gracious, get off of Pachter, he even said that the idea of a "big-hit" had changed post MW2. What he meant is that 1-2 million might no longer be considered a "big-hit," so even if ME2 sells very well, the idea of a big-hit, in the eyes of investors (this is key, since his job deals mainly with investors), has changed. "

Oh I see so everything is now in focus of the game he predicted which would outsell every other game but didn't and was in fact beaten by the game he thought wouldn't sell so well.  

Yes we must all take note of the fact that he actually professionally reads the market and advises people to buy and sell things based on his impeccable acumen. 

That's funny.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Seppli

Mass Effect 2 might surprise everyone - because it may very well be the first SHOOTER with heavy RPG elements, instead of a RPG with Shooter elements. (If you don't consider Stalker a Shooter RPG - that is... or Borderlands).

According to the new early 'Launch Trailer', it's getting perfect 10s and high 9s in the early reviews. If it keeps the metascore over 90% and it's actually a tight shooter, I can see more action fans jumping the bandwagon, than anybody expects. In that case, it might break the 10 milion copies sold treshold and become a MEGA-HIT like GTA IV or MW 2.

But then again - I'm blowing hot air out of my ass, just like Pachter and Co. Awesome job to have though ;D

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @DuhQbnSiLo: 

If by lemming you mean a marsupial which has been misrepresented by an anti Semite as being seasonally suicidal by being pushed off a cliff, then I'm not sure how you connect my OP and that epithet.  "

I dont care about that, i just dont like when people like you, take one sentence out of a paragraph to judge. I think the GOTY part is big piece you left out for ppl who don't know who hes like me, just was to see what he says. Now if i didn't watch the video i would have thought he was calling it garbage the way you make it sound. that all im trying to imply by the lemming, (making ppl follow over the cliff, you get it now) "
    He and Garnett Lee were talking sales figures.  That what I'm discussing.  That's what people like me like to discuss : facts. GOTY is a nebulous phrase that could mean so many different things to different people.   

Oh and I linked the video, so why would I assume people didn't watch it?  What's the point in quoting a source and not linking it if you want a factual discussion?

By the by. you should click the link.  You'll find out that lemmings never have led other lemmings over a cliff.  They were forced over a cliff by an anti Semite arsehole.  LOL

@bshirk said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: 1.6 million is a hit, I don't give a fuck about what he says. "

Same.  I just find it funny how rambling and negative they both seemed and how the sales figures seemed abnormally low, especially with regards to PC.

@Seppli said:
    " Mass Effect 2 might surprise everyone - because it may very well be the first SHOOTER with heavy RPG elements, instead of a RPG with Shooter elements. (If you don't consider Stalker a Shooter RPG - that is... or Borderlands).  According to the new early 'Launch Trailer', it's getting perfect 10s and high 9s in the early reviews. If it keeps the metascore over 90% and it's actually a tight shooter, I can see more action fans jumping the bandwagon, than anybody expects. In that case, it might break the 10 milion copies sold treshold and become a MEGA-HIT like GTA IV or MW 2.  But then again - I'm blowing hot air out of my ass, just like Pachter and Co. Awesome job to have though ;D "
    I think it be a hit and I think that won't be surprising at all really.  EA have gone out of their way to market it.

What I will find also unsurprising will be Pachter's hilarious back pedal action.  Entertaining to watch him eat humble pie.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Hamst3r
    @SeriouslyNow: DO NOT CHALLENGE THE INFINITE WISDOM OF THE ORACLE! HE IS THE SEER OF THE FUTURE!

Well, maybe not the seer of the future part...or the infinite wisdom part. Oh well. *chants* PACH ATTACK! PACH ATTACK! Alright, I'm done with this. *leaves*
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64

The first game sold well didn't it?  I bet this game will sell at least 2 million.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hamst3r said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: DO NOT CHALLENGE THE INFINITE WISDOM OF THE ORACLE! HE IS THE SEER OF THE FUTURE!  Well, maybe not the seer of the future part...or the infinite wisdom part. Oh well. *chants* PACH ATTACK! PACH ATTACK! Alright, I'm done with this. *leaves* "
    That is the first time I've ever really LOLed in real life as a result of a forum post.  Well played good sir.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli

Humble Pie? AWESOME NEW INTERNET MEME!

No Caption Provided

And it's a band too!

GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

This game will sell amazingly I can feel it in the air, I can feel the Mass Effect air and it's going to be big. And SO many people have played the first... maybe not on PC, but definitely on 360

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli

Dude - I just switched my online retailer for the chance to win a freaking Mass Effect 2 BEANBAG!

My usual retailer, where I had a preorder for it, only had a ME2 lighter, which I have no use for, since I gave up smoking recently. Also - trying to win a ME2 beanbag and fail is like 100x more awesome than getting a ME2 lighter 100%.

If I actually win the beanbag... Oh brother - I'll remodel my gaming space around that thing!

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By threeve

They leave a lot of room for interpretation with the numbers, especially the PC numbers.  Gabe Newell is always making his counterpoint when faced with PC numbers that those are talking about retail boxed copies and his steam sales have been much better.  I for one intend to buy this through steam, so it's hard for me to say whether I'll be one of 200,000 or one of many many more who buy it digitally.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond

I think 1 million+ sales on any platform should be considered a pretty big hit.  Those PC sales probably aren't too far off.  The public never sees much PC sales data, but obviously each and every PC game maker does know about how many these games sell.  What evidence we have had of game sales often puts PC games selling ~1/6th to ~1/20th the 360 version.

I think titles like Valve's stuff, and games really designed for PC like Dragon Age probably have a much more favorable ratio for the PC.  Mass Effect started as a 360 game, so I have little doubt it'll sell much more on 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:
    I think their PC sales prediction is extremely low.  What do you think? "
    I think Pachter is part of the ongoing organized campaign to destroy the PC market once and for all.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pause422

I love how so many people take anything he says at all seriously. Funny thing is if it only sells about this many retail copies, Pachter is going to think he was actually right, but since digital sales don't count at all, these kinds of things are honestly pointless.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#28  Edited By citizenkane

When was the last time Michael Pachter was right about anything?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By Geno
    @TheSmilingDude said:
    " I wish steam would release sales data to shut this douchebag up once and for all. "
    I wish Steam would release sales data period >.>
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Mordukai said:
    " That's the nature of his job, to make predictions. Much like a stockbroker's job, It's a game of guessing. To take his claims as abulote truth is the wrong thing to do and I am sure he will be the first person to admit that. However, claiming that everything he says is wrong is also a mistake. There's a reason the guy still has a job and believe me there are tons of analysts who would be happy to take over his job.   Personally I am still trying to figure out when did selling 1-2 million copies became a "not a major hit".   "
    Well if he's wrong most of the time, then a monkey could do his job. Better to have a monkey throw darts at a chart & use that for your prediction. Hell, that's probably what Pachter does already: he listens to his monkey.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60

He is just pretty dumb.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    I think their PC sales prediction is extremely low.  What do you think? "
    I think Pachter is part of the ongoing organized campaign to destroy the PC market once and for all. "
    You and I see things the same way.  It's very telling that NPD will no longer publish PC sales figures.

@Diamond said:
    " I think 1 million+ sales on any platform should be considered a pretty big hit.  Those PC sales probably aren't too far off.  The public never sees much PC sales data, but obviously each and every PC game maker does know about how many these games sell.  What evidence we have had of game sales often puts PC games selling ~1/6th to ~1/20th the 360 version.  I think titles like Valve's stuff, and games really designed for PC like Dragon Age probably have a much more favorable ratio for the PC.  Mass Effect started as a 360 game, so I have little doubt it'll sell much more on 360. "
    Come on now.  There are roughly 360million of PCs in the world and if only 1% can run the game that's still a much higher figure than the install base of 360 consoles.  If only 30% of that single digit percentile buy the game then we're talking roughly 1 million copies sold. I'm being extremely generous with those figures too as I'd be certain that the number of PCs that can run the game would be more than likely a double digit percentage, based on sales figures for Intel and AMD CPUs and corresponding componentry.   

We have no real figure on PC game sales because it's been buried by big businesses who want PC to die.   You can probably find EA's sales figures for PC by investigating their EEC filings, but that doesn't cover all companies as many of them are private. Steam and Direct2Drive's top 20 games aren't an awesomely accurate representation, so I don't take the idea of such low sales figures seriously.  These big businesses want to take the power from the people by  

How was not Mass Effect designed for PC? It played better, had better team AI management and a better inventory system than the console release.  Moreover the DLC got released for it too. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Geno

Is there any way to check how many concurrent Xbox Live players there are for a certain game? Because that way we can compare it to Steam's statistics and get a rough indication of the sales on PC.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    Come on now.  There are roughly 360million of PCs in the world and if only 1% can run the game that's still a much higher figure than the install base of 360 consoles.  If only 30% of that single digit percentile buy the game then we're talking roughly 1 million copies sold. I'm being extremely generous with those figures too as I'd be certain that the number of PCs that can run the game would be more than likely a double digit percentage, based on sales figures for Intel and AMD CPUs and corresponding componentry.     We have no real figure on PC game sales because it's been buried by big businesses who want PC to die.   You can probably find EA's sales figures for PC by investigating their EEC filings, but that doesn't cover all companies as many of them are private. Steam and Direct2Drive's top 20 games aren't an awesomely accurate representation, so I don't take the idea of such low sales figures seriously.  These big businesses want to take the power from the people by     How was not Mass Effect designed for PC? It played better, had better team AI management and a better inventory system than the console release.  Moreover the DLC got released for it too.
    Who says 1% of all the PCs in the world are used for gaming?  All I know about PC game sales I base on what developers have said over recent years, and obviously the focus of game developers on consoles these days.  Why would they focus on consoles if PC games had larger sales?  There is no logic that all these developers want PC gaming to die, that doesn't make any sense.  Why would they want a market where they can get 100% of the proceeds from their own game sales to die?

Mass Effect was released for 360 and not even ported to PC by Bioware.  It absolutely was a 360 game.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " Is there any way to check how many concurrent Xbox Live players there are for a certain game? Because that way we can compare it to Steam's statistics and get a rough indication of the sales on each.  "
    If by rough you mean "wildly inaccurate" sure.  Steam is one delivery method for games and there are a few of those like it. Then there are still brick and mortar retailers and mail order services too, let alone the roaring trade of selling new games on eBay etc.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @SeriouslyNow: 
    http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=mass+effect

I don't believe they include ALL retailers, but that shows Mass Effect 360 at 2.13 million with a last update of June 09. Therefore, based on the hype i've been hearing of people saying they were going to go out and buy Mass Effect 1 used in preperation for 2, because 2 looks so awesome, I'm going to guesstimate 3-4 million sales lifetime for the 360 version, even though It'll probably be a better game than MW2 :/
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geno
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Geno said:
    " Is there any way to check how many concurrent Xbox Live players there are for a certain game? Because that way we can compare it to Steam's statistics and get a rough indication of the sales on each.  "
    If by rough you mean "wildly inaccurate" sure.  Steam is one delivery method for games and there are a few of those like it. Then there are still brick and mortar retailers and mail order services too, let alone the roaring trade of selling new games on eBay etc. "
    It's a known fact that Steam is used by roughly 70% of the PC gamer audience, especially when it comes to AAA titles. We can just multiply by 1.5 after the calculation. If we take the proportion of concurrent users for a AAA title on 360 such as Modern Warfare 2 or Borderlands and compare it to the concurrent users on Steam (which is readily available), then we can get an idea of the sales figures based on info from VGChartz. It wouldn't be exact but it certainly wouldn't be "wildly inaccurate" either. 
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NoXious

Because of digital distribution it's hard to get proper numbers for sales on the PC nowadays.
    So as long as games are getting released for the PC, I'm taking it as a hint from developers that the effort invested is still worth the money received.

Mass Effect was indeed a Xbox 360 game, but what would you classify Mass Effect 2 as? 
    Both versions are being developed by BioWare, and the PC version has it's own control scheme / graphics level compared to the Xbox version.

And the biggest problem with Mass Effect is that it's a sci-fi shooter. Unlike gaming nowadays, it's still not 'cool' to like things sci-fi.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diamond said:

Why would they want a market where they can get 100% of the proceeds from their own game sales to die?

From a purely technical standpoint., consoles are far easier and cheaper to develop for. There are all kinds of weird PC configurations out there from super slow to cutting edge which they need to offer tech-support for - and that's crazy expensive. With the PC market essentially gone, they could just scrap all that infrastructure. It's the longtime goal.

Just take a look at the "tech-support section" of game forums. They are full of generic "Help, my game crashes!" threads from people who have no idea how their PC actually works. In return, they get equally generic answers, which are usually not helpful at all.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Geno said:
    If by rough you mean "wildly inaccurate" sure.  Steam is one delivery method for games and there are a few of those like it. Then there are still brick and mortar retailers and mail order services too, let alone the roaring trade of selling new games on eBay etc. "
    It's a known fact that Steam is used by roughly 70% of the PC gamer audience, especially when it comes to AAA titles. We can just multiply by 1.5 after the calculation. If we take the proportion of concurrent users for a AAA title on 360 such as Modern Warfare 2 or Borderlands and compare it to the concurrent users on Steam (which is readily available), then we can get an idea of the sales figures based on info from VGChartz. It wouldn't be exact but it certainly wouldn't be "wildly inaccurate" either.  "
    That's a figure I cannot support because it sounds baseless.  Sorry mate, I really don't think it's that high at all.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By metal_mills

It'll sell as badly as Borderlands, hey pachter?

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Ninja

I think Pachter will make good calls most of the times but I think we he goes infront of cameras he just goes crazy and starts making bold predictions. He turns into Nostradamus I guess... make enough crazy predictions and one of them will come true.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By penguindust

I can't find any hard numbers for PC sales of the original, but Mass Effect sold over 2 million on the Xbox.  I think Mass Effect 2 will sell that again.  There is a much stronger marketing push this time so I think people will get over not having played the original just as some folks got over not having played Assassin's Creed 1 and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.  I think the game will be a "hit" but not a Modern Warfare/Halo/Guitar Hero level hit.  Comparing it to any other RPG in a Western market, I believe it will do very well.  Look at Dragon Age: Origins on the console alone.  It's sold around 2 million, as well.  So, if a new IP can do that well, I am certain that a highly regarded sequel will do even better.  Finally, I really don't know how anyone can comment on the PC sales since the brick-and-mortar sales are so inefficient for the platform in comparison to the digital download sales.  No one talks about them, so maybe it will sell 200,000 units or maybe Steam will have another crazy sale in 6 months and the numbers will go through the roof.  Either way, Pachter is only good for starting discussions on forums.  Don't take any of his predictions seriously.  By the way, Pachter said 2-1/2 to 3 million units on the Xbox, not 1-2 million. He did say a couple of hundred thousand on the PC.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Diamond
    @Geno said:

It's a known fact that Steam is used by roughly 70% of the PC gamer audience, especially when it comes to AAA titles. We can just multiply by 1.5 after the calculation. If we take the proportion of concurrent users for a AAA title on 360 such as Modern Warfare 2 or Borderlands and compare it to the concurrent users on Steam (which is readily available)

Do you have a source on that Steam statement?  NPD did release that study recently that said '79 percent of games for portables, PC/Mac, mobile, and smartphones were bought in physical form'  Obviously that's quite a selection of platforms, but just imagine the sales of Sims 3 in stores or World of Warcraft.  That's a large chunk of the market.  Still, that Modern Warfare 2 comparison is very good because you can know the number of online users on both the 360 and PC versions easily.  From what I've seen it's roughly 4x as many players on 360, but I haven't checked recently.

@NoXious:  Mass Effect 2 is definitely more of a multiplatform game, for the reasons you've stated.  I think there will be a proportional increase in PC sales too, because of the simultaneous release alone.

@atomic_dumpling: If developers want PC gone they can simply choose to not develop on it.  When you see how poorly tech support is done, that's really not costing them that much money.  Sure developing a PC version of a game costs more than a console version, but if the market was comparable they wouldn't cut PC out.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Binman88

If Pachter is right, that's 10 million dollars in revenue? I'm not too worried. Anyway, as long as I get my copy I'm happy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryanwho

How does selling 2 million not qualify you as a big hit? You only need half that to get a game of the year edition.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diamond said:
    @atomic_dumpling: If developers want PC gone they can simply choose to not develop on it.  When you see how poorly tech support is done, that's really not costing them that much money.  Sure developing a PC version of a game costs more than a console version, but if the market was comparable they wouldn't cut PC out. "

Some notable games not released for the PC:

• Gears of War 2
    • Alan Wake
    • Halo 3
    • Super Street Fighter IV

We should be thankful we get Mafia 2 and Max Payne 3 (I just checked, both are still slated for a PC release).
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Geno
    @Diamond:
    @SeriouslyNow:

You were right for correcting me, Steam owns 70% of the digital PC market, and not the total PC market, sorry for the error.

http://kotaku.com/5409036/stardock-steam-has-70-of-pc-download-market 
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/11/23/valve-has-70-percent-of-digi-distribution-m/1 
    http://www.techspot.com/news/37070-stardock-ceo-steam-holds-70-of-digital-game-distribution-market.html 

Which means we don't have an accurate number for projecting total PC games sales out of Steam then. 

Edit: Though, this we might be able to use; 47% of PC games sales are digital: 

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/01/30/survey-47-percent-of-pc-sales-are-digital/1     
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/01/29/pc-game-sales-47-of-pc-purchases-are-digital/    
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho

There's such a wide birth for speculation there. Obviously 47% is an estimate, it could be significantly less or more depending on the game. You can't look at that number than just presume ME2 will sell double its projection.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Diamond
    @atomic_dumpling: Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, and Halo 3 will remain 360 exclusive (IF they remain exclusive) because of Microsoft alone - MS wants to sell Xbox 360s.  There's a good chance SSF4 will come to PC eventually too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.