Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Secrets of the Firepower Pack

• 57 results
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kitaekatt

I'm the lead gameplay designer for Mass Effect 2. I thought I'd do a blog post and share some information on the new Mass Effect 2 DLC - the Firepower Pack. The official release notes are here.

Game development takes years, but it isn't until you reach the home stretch that you start to fully understand your game. Because of this, the majority of content we create that ships on the disc, we start on before we fully understand our own game.

When your game is released, you immediately get a flood of new perspectives: Professional reviews come in, and gamers post their own reviews on social networks. Forum discussions disect specific systems, creatures, and areas. FAQs are authored that try to provide a full guide to your game. All of this affects your perspective of what you've created, and this perspective affects future content you create.

The firepower pack is a great example of DLC that was created with a full understanding of what Mass Effect 2 is. Each weapon in this pack was created to disrupt, not fit into, the existing weapon ecosystem. Designed for players already familiar with our content and weapons, these guns try to provide a new Mass Effect 2 combat experience in our existing game.

Geth Plasma Shotgun  

Shotguns in ME2 deliver high damage at close range, which is great if that matches you playstyle. If you don't like getting up close and personal, they're not that useful. The  Geth Plasma Shotgun was designed for those players -- its the "unshotgun".

No Caption Provided
    Basic fire with the Geth Plasma Shotgun delivers a payload with a much tighter spread, so it can be used quite effectively at range. The tradeoff is, you don't get the same stopping power at short range.

But heavy hitting is part of the shotgun experience we wanted to keep, so we built a unique feature - overcharge. With overcharge you power up a blast by holding the fire button, releasing it to deal a double damage blast at the cost of two ammo. It provides a very satisfying experience. The sound and vfx on this gun is just awesome. 

To use overcharge effectively you have to change the way you play. You can't charge while you're safe in cover, so effective use requires getting out of cover. Out of cover, you rely more on strafing and high cover to protect yourself from enemies. It's a different higher-risk higher-reward experience.

This overall design gives this shotgun a lot of utility. Even if shotguns aren't normally your thing, you'll want to bring this one around, because situationally overcharge is extremely useful. Also, don't worry Vanguards, you can still charge an enemy and then release overcharge when you land.

Phalanx Heavy Pistol 

Heavy pistols are punchy, accurate, and overall great weapons. With the Phalanx we wanted to provide a different, novel, aiming experience that would spice up an already excellent weapon. With that in mind, we added a laser sight.

No Caption Provided
    The Phalanx is hyper accurate. When the red dot is on an enemy's kneecap and you fire, that's where he gets hit. You can literally go through a level killing every loki mech you encounter by shooting off their left leg with a single shot (I've done this, for me it's quite fun!) My nick name for the Phalanx is the "dismantler".

The tradeoff with the phalanx is you have no crosshair when you fire. Centering a crosshair on an enemy is relatively easy, placing a laser sight on them is harder. Overall, aiming is more difficult, but when you hit you hit exactly where you want to.

Mattock Heavy Rifle 
     Assault rifles are the most popular weapons in ME2. They were designed to be reliable. They're always a good choice for any enemy, but not necessarily the best choice. 

No Caption Provided

With the Mattock we wanted to provide a novel firing experience, so we added selective fire. This is a fairly minor change, but it has a big impact on how you use the weapon. Each squeeze of the trigger lets loose a single, powerful, accurate, shot. Feather the trigger and you'll let lose a precise but powerful volley of shots.

We also balanced the Mattock differently. We gave it a lower amount of total ammo, but upped it's damage per shot significantly. This balances its high damage per shot and potentially high rate of fire by ensuring that each shot must be placed carefully to avoid risk of going out of ammo.  

So that's the overview of the Firepower Pack! I hope it helps give Mass Effect veterans a novel experience, as they play through DLC, and replay Mass Effect 2.     
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kitaekatt

I'm the lead gameplay designer for Mass Effect 2. I thought I'd do a blog post and share some information on the new Mass Effect 2 DLC - the Firepower Pack. The official release notes are here.

Game development takes years, but it isn't until you reach the home stretch that you start to fully understand your game. Because of this, the majority of content we create that ships on the disc, we start on before we fully understand our own game.

When your game is released, you immediately get a flood of new perspectives: Professional reviews come in, and gamers post their own reviews on social networks. Forum discussions disect specific systems, creatures, and areas. FAQs are authored that try to provide a full guide to your game. All of this affects your perspective of what you've created, and this perspective affects future content you create.

The firepower pack is a great example of DLC that was created with a full understanding of what Mass Effect 2 is. Each weapon in this pack was created to disrupt, not fit into, the existing weapon ecosystem. Designed for players already familiar with our content and weapons, these guns try to provide a new Mass Effect 2 combat experience in our existing game.

Geth Plasma Shotgun  

Shotguns in ME2 deliver high damage at close range, which is great if that matches you playstyle. If you don't like getting up close and personal, they're not that useful. The  Geth Plasma Shotgun was designed for those players -- its the "unshotgun".

No Caption Provided
    Basic fire with the Geth Plasma Shotgun delivers a payload with a much tighter spread, so it can be used quite effectively at range. The tradeoff is, you don't get the same stopping power at short range.

But heavy hitting is part of the shotgun experience we wanted to keep, so we built a unique feature - overcharge. With overcharge you power up a blast by holding the fire button, releasing it to deal a double damage blast at the cost of two ammo. It provides a very satisfying experience. The sound and vfx on this gun is just awesome. 

To use overcharge effectively you have to change the way you play. You can't charge while you're safe in cover, so effective use requires getting out of cover. Out of cover, you rely more on strafing and high cover to protect yourself from enemies. It's a different higher-risk higher-reward experience.

This overall design gives this shotgun a lot of utility. Even if shotguns aren't normally your thing, you'll want to bring this one around, because situationally overcharge is extremely useful. Also, don't worry Vanguards, you can still charge an enemy and then release overcharge when you land.

Phalanx Heavy Pistol 

Heavy pistols are punchy, accurate, and overall great weapons. With the Phalanx we wanted to provide a different, novel, aiming experience that would spice up an already excellent weapon. With that in mind, we added a laser sight.

No Caption Provided
    The Phalanx is hyper accurate. When the red dot is on an enemy's kneecap and you fire, that's where he gets hit. You can literally go through a level killing every loki mech you encounter by shooting off their left leg with a single shot (I've done this, for me it's quite fun!) My nick name for the Phalanx is the "dismantler".

The tradeoff with the phalanx is you have no crosshair when you fire. Centering a crosshair on an enemy is relatively easy, placing a laser sight on them is harder. Overall, aiming is more difficult, but when you hit you hit exactly where you want to.

Mattock Heavy Rifle 
     Assault rifles are the most popular weapons in ME2. They were designed to be reliable. They're always a good choice for any enemy, but not necessarily the best choice. 

No Caption Provided

With the Mattock we wanted to provide a novel firing experience, so we added selective fire. This is a fairly minor change, but it has a big impact on how you use the weapon. Each squeeze of the trigger lets loose a single, powerful, accurate, shot. Feather the trigger and you'll let lose a precise but powerful volley of shots.

We also balanced the Mattock differently. We gave it a lower amount of total ammo, but upped it's damage per shot significantly. This balances its high damage per shot and potentially high rate of fire by ensuring that each shot must be placed carefully to avoid risk of going out of ammo.  

So that's the overview of the Firepower Pack! I hope it helps give Mass Effect veterans a novel experience, as they play through DLC, and replay Mass Effect 2.     
    JudgeChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JudgeChief

I like the idea of adding more gear to Mass Effect 2, but my biggest concern about these is if they carry over to Mass Effect 3. If ME2 is going to (hopefully) flow smoothly into ME3 through DLC, then there's no reason anything we get from DLC (party members, guns, gear) shouldn't follow with us. Maybe Kasumi and Zaheed go on to other things in ME3, but if I drop cash on some gun that I end up loving, I want to be able to use it for as long as I want in the new game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Didn't think much thought was put into the design of the new weapons.  Happy to read otherwise.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By damswedon

Wow that makes the pack seem much better I will grab it before I do my insanity run.

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Sharpshooter

That was very insightful I must say.Also its good to hear that it was a consious decision to make the weapons in such a way that they don't exactly fit with the others. Should make them fun to use and master.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno

On my third playthrough, will definitely be picking this up. Thanks for taking the time to write this as well!

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By yevinorion

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this info with us. It's always nice to hear a bit of the thought process behind the scenes. I'm looking forward to getting this pack (specifically the shotgun!) and finally getting to that Overlord DLC.

SwobyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SwobyJ

First off, I want to let you know I love love loveee your work on Mass Effect 2. When people watch me play, they immediately say this looks great and ask if it has multiplayer (and I mean this in the best way - it shows they'd love to experience the combat system with others).  

But while the guns are largely very unique, they also... keep showing me that they should have been in the game in the first place. This was Bioware's strategy, so whatever, but I agree with the comment about guns carrying over to ME3 (and being available to get as DLC on that game as well?). I know I'm LOVING a couple of the new weapons, yet they aren't game breaking. Anyway, keep on keepin on Christina :) 

Oh, and I'd strongly suggest more customization in ME3 in terms of weapons. You all by now probably understand the forum's consensus - 'Mass Effect 1's inventory system was fine, but too overly complicated and bloated. It only needed improvement, not a replacement'. How's about an improved version of a sort of hybrid of ME1 and ME2? People like tweaking the guns in ME1, but they're also coming to like how each, say pistol, plays different from the other pistols.  

I'll get this pack, of course (I'm addicted), but I really feel it should come with the Shadow Broker missions :P

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By russcat

Excellent summary, thanks :)

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By RVonE

Interesting. Thanks for putting this summary up for us.
    frsty13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frsty13

Love seeing the thought going into this DLC.  And really, these do sound like interesting ideas.  Unfortunately, this kind of DLC would have been better recieved if it'd been released closer to launch (granted, you wouldn't have had the feedback you used to help develop this DLC so it wasn't really an option at that point).  Still, might be interesting to play with once the Shadow Broker DLC hits.   

kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kitaekatt

I'd love it if we could get DLC out faster too, trust me we get it out as quickly as possible!

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoXious

Thanks for sharing the info Christina! I'll be picking this up, since I need every gun I can get for my Insanity playthrough.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cornman89

Thanks for the info.

I want that shotty. Now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been thinking about getting that last achievement (Insanity)... maybe this will help.

Ale_Aran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ale_Aran

A semi automatic rifle!! my favorite type of weapon, Thanks!!!!  
    And now to wait for the next dlc

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By ReyGitano

Good read. Nice to know that these weapons are so unique.

abstracti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By abstracti0n

And here I was all set to pass over this DLC pack. This detailed overview about the alterations each weapon makes to the usual weapon-play is intriguing and has completely changed my mind about the pack. Definitely going to get it now.

saturnprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By saturnprime

I love the constant stream of DLC for ME2 and that this game still feels alive even after finishing it up in about five days with my canon paragon infiltrator run.

I'm playing my insanity infiltrator renegade run currently, so I can't use the new assault rifle or the shotgun. Besides I trust my Widow sniper rifle too much.

So with these tweaks, do teammates know how to utilize the overcharge? And I'm assuming the mattock rifle would be deadly with the unlimited clips of ammo your teammates carry?

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Origina1Penguin

SOLD! 
    Actually I was sold at "Mass Effect 2 DLC" without reading further. 

I love the armor pieces in ME2, so I'd be really thrilled to see more of that announced. I'll probably enjoy any Mass Effect DLC though. Just keep it coming, and I'll keep playing

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Linkin10362

They sound good, but I don't think it is worth it for me...

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I grabbed the pack today, and I like it overall. The pistol is my least favorite edition--the laser site is neat, but hard to aim with the shake, that you just don't get with the crosshairs.

I haven't actually tried charging the shotgun, totally forgot about that feature, but I like it, and the assault rifle. It's super accurate, and great for headshotting.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karkarov

Thanks for the info.  The main thing I hate about DLC, particularly those that effect in game gear, is that most of the time no real explanation is given on how these items fit in with the rest of the game.  Are they overpowered?  Underpowered?  Etc etc.  I have actually been playing through ME2 again lately and I like the sound of that Assault rifles handling so I may pick this up.  My only question though is won't this sort of imbalance npc's that use hand cannons since they never really used crosshairs to begin with?  They won't have to deal with the accuracy trade off.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By niamahai
    @damswedon said:
    " Wow that makes the pack seem much better I will grab it before I do my insanity run. "
    gah...must create more time to S rank SC2, Alan Wake and ME2
    smokepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By smokepants
    @JudgeChief said:

" I like the idea of adding more gear to Mass Effect 2, but my biggest concern about these is if they carry over to Mass Effect 3. If ME2 is going to (hopefully) flow smoothly into ME3 through DLC, then there's no reason anything we get from DLC (party members, guns, gear) shouldn't follow with us. Maybe Kasumi and Zaheed go on to other things in ME3, but if I drop cash on some gun that I end up loving, I want to be able to use it for as long as I want in the new game. "

Don't count on any of that happening. I'm sure the guns that are worth keeping will have an analogue in the new arsenal, however.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#26  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I like the designs on the weapons themselves, like aesthetically.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a general layer added to the game, like planet encounters or small exploration, more in line with the first game's feeling that the universe is fully populated.  2 really improved on the action elements, but at times I feel like things are more claustrophobically narrow.  

Random space stations and ships with modular, netHack style room generation would even be fun...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

These guns all actually sound pretty unique, might end up picking this up after all.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I still think it costs too much, but I'm really cheap.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Garrus

I'm liking the heavy rifle, not so sure about the pistol but Geth Shotgun looks like it's worth a try.

DKeith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DKeith

Thanks for all your hard work. Personaly i dont mind paying $2 for DLC especially when it is DLC added to my favorite game ever. I have baught all the other DLC also. I like that yall are starting to show more alien weapons and not the standard human looking ones like everbody uses.  It would be interesting to see if the Taurian military issues all the same weapons that the Alliance military uses.  Also props to your writing staff: the in game bios on the new weapons are much better that the other weapon bios.
    Swarfigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Swarfigo

Haven't used the shotgun too much, but the Phalanx pistol and the Mattock rifle alone make the pack worth it.

ZebN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZebN
    The assault rifle is incredibly powerful and is really almost a second sniper rifle in terms of accuracy and power (without a scope, obviously).  For me that rifle alone is worth it for the final push in my Insanity run.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By Yummylee

Bought it soon as I find out about them. Really fun weapons. Appreciate the write up aswell!

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Russcat said:
    " Excellent summary, thanks :) "
    nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nirokogaseru

Downloaded the day it posted.  I love them.  It's always nice to go into a game grinding for achievements when you can change up the gameplay to make it a new experience everytime.  Looking forward to future DLC--especially LoTSB.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emkeighcameron

It's a shame I can't buy any fucking Bioware points because the website is entirely fucked up and doesn't work for PC DLC purchases.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#38  Edited By Brackynews

Just wanted to mention that the activation checks for the DLC have not always been consistent or predictable for me (on 360).
    I'm about 1/2 way through my Insanity run, so better guns are in high demand, and these will give me a reason to use Jacob. :)   I bought the DLC at the in-game main menu, loaded up a save (in the middle of the Overlord DLC), and both during the mission and when I got back to the ship there was nothing. I restarted the game from the main menu and again nothing. Then while writing this I restarted my 360 and booted the game from scratch, and upon loading to the Normandy the delivery e-mails and guns were available. A bit awkward, certainly.  Buying something demands a different sense of immediate gratification than a regular contextual unlock. I want these guns FedExed to the planet! :)

Thanks Christina, it's nice to read a post like yours for several reasons:
    I'm glad when dev teams aren't dissolved after the release of a game. I'm pleased to see designers and not PR/marketing speaking to the community. I'm pleased to see devs coming to sites *I* use, instead of staying penned up in their support forums. 

The ME2 DLC has been top notch top to bottom.  I haven't bought all of it, but the gameplay enhancements and layering of content is a model for other developers to follow.  In particular, having Kasumi along for my second playthrough, and her 100% appropriate reactions and dialogue in every mission because she was part of the script from the beginning... it's just an excellent experience. 
    Best regards,
    >B

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By apathylad

Flagged for advertising.  :-P

Kaelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kaelin

After my fourth or fifth playthrough, combat part of the game became a tedious and tiring chore, a redundant prerequisite for enjoying the plot. In fact, I would be very pleased if combat scenes could be skipped by pressing a button like in the dialog scenes. This reduced my gaming exprience to cataloging important plot moments in saves and watching them instead of playing the game.  

I'm not saying design was bad. On the contrary, it was elegantly crafted and very engrossing. But frankly it wasn't dynamic enough for a game designed to be played over and over and over and over, and class differences alone are not enough to make it long lived either. You can only play a game of whack-a-mole for so long, no matter how many different sledges you have. Actually, to be honest, I don't think such a system can be built without overwhelming the story focus.

Having said that, it was a genius move as it was a brave one to modify the very core of the system 8 months after game's release.  And more importantly, doing so without breaking it. I was worried when I first read this article. But after testing the DLC weapons for 1 hour or so, I have every reason to start my seventh playtrough.

Seriously, I can't overstate how the flow of the combat changes just with three new weapons. Mattock rewards the careful and smart player, Phalanx forces player's attention into the game in every aim and Plasma Shotgun offers a dangerous but rewarding alternative to the monotone cover fight. I especially loved the Geth Plasma Shotgun because I outright HATE cover oriented combat.

But I just have to ask: Where is my new Sniper Rifle?! If you think Incisor was enough and Sniper Rifles didn't need the fresh face, you are sorely mistaken. I personally despise Incisor.

Anyway, all in all I think it was a job well done. I know from exprience how hard and risky it is to alter an existing system. You have my most sincere appreciations and congratulations... as sincere as the internet can deliver at least.

kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kitaekatt
    @Karkarov said:
    " Thanks for the info.  The main thing I hate about DLC, particularly those that effect in game gear, is that most of the time no real explanation is given on how these items fit in with the rest of the game.  Are they overpowered?  Underpowered?  Etc etc.  I have actually been playing through ME2 again lately and I like the sound of that Assault rifles handling so I may pick this up.  My only question though is won't this sort of imbalance npc's that use hand cannons since they never really used crosshairs to begin with?  They won't have to deal with the accuracy trade off. "

We take all this into account when we design and balance the weapons. The weapons your squad members use are not exact carbon copies of the weapon the player use, they behave the same but we balance them differently.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By natetodamax

It's pretty cool we got a developer on Giant Bomb nice enough to give us info like this!

kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kitaekatt
    @Karkarov said:

" Thanks for the info.  The main thing I hate about DLC, particularly those that effect in game gear, is that most of the time no real explanation is given on how these items fit in with the rest of the game.  Are they overpowered?  Underpowered?  Etc etc.  I have actually been playing through ME2 again lately and I like the sound of that Assault rifles handling so I may pick this up.  My only question though is won't this sort of imbalance npc's that use hand cannons since they never really used crosshairs to begin with?  They won't have to deal with the accuracy trade off. "

We take all this into account when we design and balance the weapons. The weapons your squad members use are not exact carbon copies of the weapon the player use, they behave the same but we balance them differently. 

Are they overpowered? Underpowered? DLC weapons are generally slightly more powerful than the weapons before them but I've done my best to ensure there are no "super weapons" that invalidate all other weapons. For example, if the Mattock was better than the Revenant in all situations that would be really crappy. It's ok if the Mattock is better in some situations.  
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kitaekatt
    @Apathylad said:
    " Flagged for advertising.  :-P "  
     Hey if you guys want me to stop posting just say so :P I can post somewhere else. I'm not in marketing, my motivation is to actually share information that isn't part of our marketing so gamers will have a better idea of what they will get if they purchase this DLC.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm glad to see an important figure from Bioware share information personally. I've been pretty much buying everything Mass Effect 2 related so, I'm probably going to get this as well.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm

I actually just beat Mass Effect again with a fresh game and I'm getting ready to boot up Mass Effect 2, but @kitae:  I have a question: is the Firepower Pack delivered to your weapons inventory on your ship, or is it the one you have to pick up from the Collector ship near the end of the game?

Hellhammer2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hellhammer2012

I love the new weapons, especially the Mattock because it lends itself to my soldier style of long range engagement of enemies.  Great work!

COFFEESPANKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By COFFEESPANKS
    @kitae said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    " Flagged for advertising.  :-P "  
     Hey if you guys want me to stop posting just say so :P I can post somewhere else. I'm not in marketing, my motivation is to actually share information that isn't part of our marketing so gamers will have a better idea of what they will get if they purchase this DLC. "
    I don't necessarily think that this is advertising. It was a great informative post by someone who is very well informed. I do appreciate you stating who you are and why you are here.

I like the new weapons pack and think that each weapon looks awesome. I downloaded it last week but have yet to try any of the weapons out personally. Hopefully that will change soon though.
    dtwirler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dtwirler

This weapon pack sounds like so much fun, but I don't have any points! :(

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50  Edited By Geno

I bought the pack, played with it for a while, so here's my impressions:  

1. The Mattock Rifle is pretty cool. In terms of "DPS" I would say that it has more than the standard assault rifle, but you also have to aim more carefully. So it's fairly balanced and I like it.  
    2. The pistol is crap. I mean, hand cannons were crap to begin with; the laser actually makes it somewhat harder to aim because it doesn't feel like it's on the center of the screen. Damage is way too low, give it some sort of "magnum" ammunition by default to compensate for its low rate of fire and small clip. 
    3. Geth shotgun is nice, but not something you should be using on insanity difficulty (which I'm playing on) since it's special ability requires a few seconds to charge up, in which time you will be heavily damaged. When it hits however it does a ton of damage; will usually reduce a person with full health and shields down to no shields and half health. Even at long range.  

Should you pick it up? Dude it's like 2 bucks.  

@Napalm

said:

" I actually just beat Mass Effect again with a fresh game and I'm getting ready to boot up Mass Effect 2, but @kitae:  I have a question: is the Firepower Pack delivered to your weapons inventory on your ship, or is it the one you have to pick up from the Collector ship near the end of the game? "

It's delivered straight to your ship. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.