Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

The Many Failures of Mass Effect 2

TheDarkVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By TheDarkVoid

With an average score of 96 on Metacritic, one would be justified in believing Mass Effect 2 has little room for improvement. An overwhelming majority of so-called game critics have weighed-in, predictably showering Bioware’s latest RPG with roses and garlands.

Bioware is one of a select number of game companies that receives a +3 modifier in review scores. So take an average game that would normally receive a 7, add Bioware’s name to the box, and oila! Instant 10. While this may be great for Bioware’s bottom-line, it’s actually a grave disservice to the company and gamers, not to mention a glowing example of everything that is wrong in game journalism; criticism specifically.

Having played and finished Mass Effect 2, I can safely say, without reservation or hesitation, that Bioware’s latest RPG is a complete mess, from top-to-bottom and not a product worthy of Bioware’s heritage. 

Co-founder of Bio Ware Ray Muzyka said :" It's nice to receive nice words and congratulations, but I'm more interested in how we drive success in the future. how we make our next games even better than Mass Effect." 

Well Ray, if you want to know how to improve your franchise then I highly recommend you don’t read any actual reviews, because my brethren in the journalism community are rabid fanboys who unfortunately have bylines. You also won’t find much at Metacritic because they de-list any site that has review scores that are not within some arbitrary average, which defeats the entire purpose of aggregate reviews when you remove low scores.  
    Original article from: infoaddict.com

TheDarkVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheDarkVoid

With an average score of 96 on Metacritic, one would be justified in believing Mass Effect 2 has little room for improvement. An overwhelming majority of so-called game critics have weighed-in, predictably showering Bioware’s latest RPG with roses and garlands.

Bioware is one of a select number of game companies that receives a +3 modifier in review scores. So take an average game that would normally receive a 7, add Bioware’s name to the box, and oila! Instant 10. While this may be great for Bioware’s bottom-line, it’s actually a grave disservice to the company and gamers, not to mention a glowing example of everything that is wrong in game journalism; criticism specifically.

Having played and finished Mass Effect 2, I can safely say, without reservation or hesitation, that Bioware’s latest RPG is a complete mess, from top-to-bottom and not a product worthy of Bioware’s heritage. 

Co-founder of Bio Ware Ray Muzyka said :" It's nice to receive nice words and congratulations, but I'm more interested in how we drive success in the future. how we make our next games even better than Mass Effect." 

Well Ray, if you want to know how to improve your franchise then I highly recommend you don’t read any actual reviews, because my brethren in the journalism community are rabid fanboys who unfortunately have bylines. You also won’t find much at Metacritic because they de-list any site that has review scores that are not within some arbitrary average, which defeats the entire purpose of aggregate reviews when you remove low scores.  
    Original article from: infoaddict.com

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By graniteoctopus
    @TheDarkVoid:
    err this has already been posted. and the original post had a link to the article.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By lucas_kelly

Fair enough if you dislike the game, but you never explained why exactly you don't like the game. 

As for my opinion: At first I thought it was just another RPG, but now that I have finished the game its good to see that multiple play through's can be quite different. Its far better than the first anyway.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

guile once again disapproves of the thread title
     guile once again disapproves of the thread title
    TheDarkVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheDarkVoid
    upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By upwarDBound

So by your logic you're saying Dragon Age should have gotten an average of 50? I don't know if that sounds wrong to you but it sure does to me. Sure Mass Effect 2 isn't a perfect game, but critics liked it well enough to give it such high praise.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By hatking

I won't give you satisfaction of saying what you are stabbing for.  I'll just say that in my mind sensationalists like yourself are far worse than any of your imaginary critics who bend scores.  This game is well made end of story.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nasos100

Oh yea sfter WoW, MW2 Dragon Age and GTA IV ..... Mass Effect 2 hate thread!!  hmm mass effect 2, maybe the WORST game ever? Dragon Age origins comes secondto that.

Thread -> Supidity

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Captain_Insano

The arguments made on that website are valid but are over very quibbling little and mostly insignificant issues. The article is structured in such a way to make it appear as though Mass Effect 2 has all these glaring faults, but comes across being rather negative. Granted that is the whole purpose of the article, but the title itself is intentionally inflammatory and as such, does not serve as a good base for genuine criticism as the very nature of the title lends people to choose one side or another. Those who agree and those who disagree. There is no middle of the road. 

While the author attempts to make constructive criticisms and offer solutions (some of which aren't great in themselves though), there should be a mention of the positive aspects of ME2 also. Every review I have read or seen, while being mostly positive, has mentioned the negative aspects of the game. That is why metacritic can't be taken at face value, which the author of the article sadly seems to have done.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Jackel2072

I disagree with this article.  Its basically saying that because the game has a 96 on Metacritic that we are all mindless drones and only sing praise and dance in the streets over the game because it has a 96 and is made by Bioware. True when Bioware or Valve or any other big name developer announces or releases a new game people will get excited! That does not always mean though that us the consumer and the press are going to add a + 6 modifier to the score of game X...

Doom 3 is a perfect example. When the first E3 trailer rolled out you would have thought it was the 2nd coming of Christ! The graphics were mind blowing and it was MOTHER FUCKING ID SOFTWARE! Doom 2 was a revolution in the FPS world and every one expected the same from doom 3. keep in mind ID had a lot more stopping power back then. Quake III was still going strong! flash forward to its release and it only got fair reviews for the most part . Sitting at an 86 on Metacritic. Reviewers did not add 6 points to there score because it was ID making the game or a renewal of a beloved franchise. They called for what it was. A pretty game that had not evolved much passed it original predecessor ( but IMO doom 3 was fucking awesome).

Its true we all get lost in the hype of a big new game we know and love. but this guy is making it sound like it happens every time a big name game comes out and im here to tell you that is bull shit!    

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By foggel

This game is amazing. End of story.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Jackel2072 said:
    "  

I disagree with this article.  Its basically saying that because the game has a 96 on Metacritic that we are all mindless drones and only sing praise and dance in the streets over the game because it has a 96 and is made by Bioware. True when Bioware or Valve or any other big name developer announces or releases a new game people will get excited! That does not always mean though that us the consumer and the press are going to add a + 6 modifier to the score of game X..."

I agree with this.

The article, and by extension, this argument, is confusing correlation and causation. Instead of thinking, "Maybe studios like Bioware and Valve get a lot of hype because the games they make are of exceptional quality and ambition, and usually succeed on several fronts," this argument goes backwards, deciding that the games succeed because they're attached to big, noteworthy studios and that, as a result, the press and public feel it necessary to inflate the importance of the studio's work before having even touched the game itself. 

Mass Effect 2 is pretty fucking good. I don't care what its aggregate score on any ranking website is, but it basically deserves the highest marks on its own merits. Not because it's a Bioware game.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By skrutop

I've maintained that Bioware shouldn't be actually making their games, just writing them.  I really liked the stories in Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect 1 and 2, but I think the games themselves are not very good.  Fortunately, ME2 kept me engrossed for 30 hours without much issue, mostly because I figured that the gameplay itself would be ok, but not great.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Whisperkill

Wow....

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By nexas

It sure is cOld in here.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

Didn't anyone else notice that the OT's post is nothing more than exact quotes from the original Infoaddict.com article?  There is nothing originally stated at all.  And, as turbomonkey138 said, we talked about this topic already in this post by Jaklar: The Many Failures of Mass Effect 2

Anathem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Anathem

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite thread on the forum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.