Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Xbox 360 or PS3 version?

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sodapop7

So I just beat the first Mass Effect a few days ago and am very pumped to continue to Mass Effect 2, but I was wondering if you guys would recommend buying it for the Xbox 360 or PS3?  I know the 360 version is cheaper at this point but the PS3 version is supposed to have an updated engine and stuff so I'm not sure.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

PC

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

If you played the first game on 360 and are happy with the decisions you made in that playthrough, then you should get in on 360.  If you want to redo some of your decisions from the first game, then get the PS3.

Also, if you aren't looking forward to spending a lot of time mining planets, then you should get it on PS3.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " If you played the first game on 360 and are happy with the decisions you made in that playthrough, then you should get in on 360.  If you want to redo some of your decisions from the first game, then get the PS3.  Also, if you aren't looking forward to spending a lot of time mining planets, then you should get it on PS3. "
    Have they removed the planet scanning completely?  It was sped up in one of the patches, but that applies to all versions. 
    I'd recommend just continuing with the 360, a lot of the fun from the game (for me) came from continuing with the choices my character made from the first game.  There aren't any significant differences to make switching worthwhile. 

Also, the 360 and PC versions are getting the comic as well.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Get it for the platform you got the first Mass Effect for.

sixdemonbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sixdemonbag

It continues so many of the smaller quests you did in the first Mass Effect that for content alone I'd say Xbox.  If you hadn't played it, and you didn't care to play it I probably would have said PS3.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sodapop7

Ok I didn't know how many of the actual things I did would be carried over, plus I can get it for cheaper on the Xbox also.  Thanks for the info!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " If you played the first game on 360 and are happy with the decisions you made in that playthrough, then you should get in on 360.  If you want to redo some of your decisions from the first game, then get the PS3.  Also, if you aren't looking forward to spending a lot of time mining planets, then you should get it on PS3. "
    Have they removed the planet scanning completely?  It was sped up in one of the patches, but that applies to all versions."
    Planet scanning is still in there, but Bioware has said that they've streamlined it.  I don't know if it's been sped up even more, or the mechanic has been altered in some way, but it is definitely still in there.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dany
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    Have they removed the planet scanning completely?  It was sped up in one of the patches, but that applies to all versions."
    Planet scanning is still in there, but Bioware has said that they've streamlined it.  I don't know if it's been sped up even more, or the mechanic has been altered in some way, but it is definitely still in there. "
    The radial scanner thing is much bigger, maybe twice the size and it is significantly faster, even before getting the upgrade
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

PC above them all, but ps3 next. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

I'd get it on 360 just for all the little emails and news bulletins you get that reference your deeds in the first game. The comic only covers the major choices and I find that the little ones are what push the game toward excellence. 

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I finished the game on the 360, complete with a save file from ME1. Then my 360 gets crushed by a freaking car, and now I'm buying the PS3 version because it's cheaper than buying a new 360 and I can't stand the idea of going into ME3 without anything from ME2.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Yea I agree with the above. Continue with what you started since this game actually carries over even with the small things. You will notice a lot of them if you've just recently played ME1. The sense of accomplishment is priceless when you notice the little things carrying over.

Only thing of importance to me at this point that makes the PS3 version stand out is the fact that it comes with the DLC episodes included (until a GOTY edition on all platforms comes out of course). 
    Though that's quite a big thing if you're not big on buying DLC.

So if the save file is important enough for you, stick with the 360. If not, I'd say you get quite the value for the PS3 with the DLC content included.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy

Continue on with the same version you got the first for. Plus it's cheaper, even after the DLC.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Nentisys
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " PC "
    This. Better graphics, less bugs, command console.
    Steveolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Steveolio
    @sodapop7:@xyzygy said:
    " Continue on with the same version you got the first for. Plus it's cheaper, even after the DLC. "
    I agree with this.

Although I continued on the xbox version and now I want all of the new content from the PS3 version...ahah!  Guess I'll buy both!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have it on all three platforms. Or I will when I pick up the PS3 version tomorrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would get it for 360 since you seem to have all your decisions made on that console already. You could also buy all the major DLC for under 60$, which is nice.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Vaile

It comes down to what's important to you.

Do you value story, continuity, and player-character development most? Get the 360 version. 

Are higher graphics and free DLC more your beef? Go for PS3.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By bibledoctor

I've heard really good things about the PS3 version, haven't played it yet as I own it on a 360 (don't know if I want to shell out another sixty bucks just to see the new engine). I'd say go for the PS3 version, more bang for your buck.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @sodapop7 said:

" So I just beat the first Mass Effect a few days ago and am very pumped to continue to Mass Effect 2, but I was wondering if you guys would recommend buying it for the Xbox 360 or PS3?  I know the 360 version is cheaper at this point but the PS3 version is supposed to have an updated engine and stuff so I'm not sure. "

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-face-off  

It turns out the 360 version is still sharper... 
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captain_clayman

360 if you wanna carry your decisions 

ps3 if you want (slightly) better graphics and free DLC

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @captain_clayman said:
    " 360 if you wanna carry your decisions  ps3 if you want (slightly) better graphics and free DLC "
    Well....the 360 version is less than 20 dollars and the graphics aren't better on the PS3.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy
    @Doctorchimp said:

" @sodapop7 said:

" So I just beat the first Mass Effect a few days ago and am very pumped to continue to Mass Effect 2, but I was wondering if you guys would recommend buying it for the Xbox 360 or PS3?  I know the 360 version is cheaper at this point but the PS3 version is supposed to have an updated engine and stuff so I'm not sure. "

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-face-off   It turns out the 360 version is still sharper...  "
    Wasn't expecting that. The article basically says that the PS3 version has very odd lighting decisions from Bioware, the effects aren't as up to snuff as the 360 version's, and the change in engines makes the gameplay jerkier. They didn't use any of the extra storage space on the Blu Ray (in terms of making the actual game better) and none of the video sequences are Blu Ray quality.  

And Bioware says it's the definitive version? 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty
    @BibleDoctor said:
    " I've heard really good things about the PS3 version, haven't played it yet as I own it on a 360 (don't know if I want to shell out another sixty bucks just to see the new engine). I'd say go for the PS3 version, more bang for your buck. "
    PS3 version has tearing so not a good trade off. 

PC / 360 version are the ones you want to get, PS3 should be a last resort only.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

360 version is cheaper, but the PS3 version has some free DLC.  It's your pick I guess.  Both versions are good though.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Doctorchimp said:

" @sodapop7 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-face-off   It turns out the 360 version is still sharper...  "
    Wasn't expecting that. The article basically says that the PS3 version has very odd lighting decisions from Bioware, the effects aren't as up to snuff as the 360 version, and the change in engines makes the gameplay a bit jerkier. They didn't use any of the extra storage space on the Blu Ray (in terms of making the actual game better) and none of the video sequences are Blu Ray quality.   And Bioware says it's the definitive version?  "
    It's all a dirty marketing ploy to get people to buy a year old game for 60 my man. 

The fact still is...yo that PS3 doesn't like that Unreal 3 engine...no matter what you do.  

It is still a phenomenal game and if all you have is a PS3 to run it you should go pay for it...now...
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Vinny_Says

Dude let's just put aside the console debate and make the right choice. The version to get is the one that you played ME1 on and the cheaper $19.99 version. In this economy if you can afford an extra $40 for a slight graphic upgrade and kinda useless DLC (The main game still looks fantastic and has PLENTY of content on it's own) then do whatever.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @blacklabeldomm: Psst... 

The PS3 doesn't have upgraded graphics. 

Also the DLC is pretty sweet, but getting all that dlc and Mass Effect 2 on the 360 for less than 20 would still be cheaper than 60.
    sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sodapop7

I ended up with the 360 version and I've really enjoyed the little touches that carried over from ME1.  That on top of the reduced cost made this a no-brainer in the end. 

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By xXwindoverXx
    @sodapop7 said:
    Get the Xbox360 version...I have all three versions and obv the PC is the best but the Xbox version is still better then the PS3 one....
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kyrieee

I just watch the quicklook for the PS3 version and am I crazy or did they change the dialogue in the intro?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @kyrieee said:

" I just watch the quicklook for the PS3 version and am I crazy or did they change the dialogue in the intro? "

The intro varies a bit depending on what choice you made whether to save the Council or not in ME1 so yes,  I think it's been altered a bit  to work with the Interactive comic that comes AFTER the introduction. That was a bit of a weird design choice in my book.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By tourgen
    @sodapop7 said:
    Personally I would recommend the PC version.  But on the consoles I prefer the 360 version simply because the controller fits my hands better.
    MrWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrWright

I would go with the 360 version as you can carry over your choices and I found this a great feature that more sequels should do. And as it is cheaper I would say it is the best option all around, the DLC will be cheap in a sale again and if you can wait it is the best option to play it. I would be surprised if there was not a sale of the ME2 dlc around launch of ME3

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By sopranosfan

I tend to think certain games seem more meant for certain consoles even when available on both.  It was an easy choice deciding on the PS3 version of FF XIII and if the new Metal Gear game is good I will get it on PS3 and I feel that if you have both consoles Mass Effect seems to belong more on the 360.  It would seem wrong to me to play the 3 mentioned games on another console unless you only had one then play it on the one you have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.