Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Your opinion on the genophage.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

Even though Wrex was one of my favorite characters from the first game I have to say the genophage was the right thing to implement. Mordin didn't want to kill off the Krogan so instead he created something that limited their reproduction rates. If the Krogan were able to create a massive army there would be mindless bloodshed. I kinda hated that every time I agreed with Mordin and the genophage I'd get renegade points but w/e. How about you guys?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, I guess. Kind of a weird thing to bring up all of a sudden, especially with no spoiler tags or anything. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

It was uncool, brah.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TheVideoHustler

Mordin played the role of devil's advocate. It's hard to justify such a massive alteration to a species because it puts fear in others. If the Slarians can do this to one race, what would happen if they went rouge. Of course the genophage was justified because the Krogen are like a virus, they just move from place to place killing and destroying anything the come into contact with. It may not be the natural order of things, but it kept the rest of the galaxy safe.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Kazona

Considering the consequences if they hadn't introduced the genophage to the Krogan population, I feel it was the least horrible choice to make.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1
    @MooseyMcMan The genophage was from the first game and learning Mordin was the cause is in the start of the game so I didn't think it was that much of a spoiler, if it was I'm sorry. I don't know how to put the spoiler drop down on he mobile site.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By haggis
    @RE_Player92:  It's worth remembering that Mordin was responsible for a second genophage variation, not the original (which happened in the more distant past). So Mordin was only doing what had already been done before, ie., modifying the genophage in order to prevent the Krogans from evolving past it. The original decision was not his. This doesn't change anything about the morality of the original genophage (on which there are widely varying opinions), but it does effect how we see Mordin's role in it (as someone who was maintaining a decision made by others).
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By zidd

The genophage was nescessary due to the nature of the krogan race. The Genophage cure research data will probably benefit Shepard in the end because if the whole krogan race unites under Wrex's leadership they could be a formidable ally in fending off the reaper attacks alluded to in the ME3 trailers.

Avatar image for glorious_leader
    glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glorious_leader

There's really not that many alternatives.  The Krogan were a threat to all other species.  Their rate of reproduction had to be halted to get rid of the problem.

davefromabove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By davefromabove
    @Zidd: 

lol formidable ally however at the rate they reproduce eventually  there would be too many krogan and statistically speaking it would only take a small percentage of hater krogans to wipe out every other race out there either way it would lead to endless war. I cant imagine the krogans would protect other races from other krogan
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    This thread already has a larger discussion in progress. 

But anyway, I think the genophage was right. The survival of many races seems more important to me than the dominance of one violent race.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.