Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

15 credits Biowares attention to detail

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drowsap

So I like most beat Mass effect 3 and wasn't a huge fan of the ending but what I was a fan of was there attention to detail. Now many players may have missed this but there is a random charter on the Citadel who just wants a refund. couldn't find a video from mass effect 1 but here he is in Mass effect 2 but he was there in the first.

Now this guys been looking for a refund as long a Shepperds been fighting reapers and after 6 years we finally get to help.

Now I know hes just and off hand charter that most player just skip by but when i saw him in Mass effect 1 i just had to listen to all his dialog. Then When I finally got to interact with him in 3 It felt great to help him get back his dam 30 credits i mean 6 years he was dedicated. Now thats pretty cool of bioware in my opinion to keep that little Easter egg going through 3 games. so are there any other off hand charters like this I may have missed Conrar Verner also comes to mind. Just thought i d make a topic that wasnt just bashing Bioware.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SmasheControllers

Noticed this too it's great.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Yeah, I'm playing through Mass Effect again and saw him complaining to some turian, which I witnessed again today actually. That guy was indeed dedicated.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Liam_mk

But aren't they different items in each game? The way I saw it is he's a professional con man getting money from refunds he doesn't deserve.

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By drowsap

@Liam_mk: I thought it was always the same thing but i could be wrong but dame thats a long con game lol but I just love the fact that some off handed NPC made it in to all three games

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Liam_mk Have you heard his dialogue when you give him the refund? I think it's more of a pathological thing, I think he might have some kind of mental issue. So he travels around trying to get refunds and the shopkeepers just have to deal with this crazy person.

I'm glad you enjoyed the guy trying to get his refund. Patrick got upset at it in last week's Bombcast, raised his voice in anger. Reasonable reaction.
    wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By wsowen02

@Brodehouse said:

@Liam_mk Have you heard his dialogue when you give him the refund? I think it's more of a pathological thing, I think he might have some kind of mental issue. So he travels around trying to get refunds and the shopkeepers just have to deal with this crazy person. I'm glad you enjoyed the guy trying to get his refund. Patrick got upset at it in last week's Bombcast, raised his voice in anger. Reasonable reaction.

I thought he overreacted to this one in particular but I think his real issue was the structure of those "encounters". Jeff was right, it does make Shepard seem pretty creepy, just jumping into the middle of conversations like s/he does. They should have come up with something else. It's almost Dragon Age II level laziness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@wsowen02 said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Liam_mk Have you heard his dialogue when you give him the refund? I think it's more of a pathological thing, I think he might have some kind of mental issue. So he travels around trying to get refunds and the shopkeepers just have to deal with this crazy person. I'm glad you enjoyed the guy trying to get his refund. Patrick got upset at it in last week's Bombcast, raised his voice in anger. Reasonable reaction.

I thought he overreacted to this one in particular but I think his real issue was the structure of those "encounters". Jeff was right, it does make Shepard seem pretty creepy, just jumping into the middle of conversations like s/he does. They should have come up with something else. It's almost Dragon Age II level laziness.

For the "I heard you were looking for fuel cell stabilizers so here they are" I'd agree. For the "these two people are having a conversation about the ethics of law enforcement, or whether or not they should enlist" that's exactly the kind of stuff that lets people feel like they're building a Shepard. My Shepard tells everyone that they need to join the war effort, she tells C-Sec to let misdemeanors go to catch terrorists, she tells refugees that they need to get their stupid ships out of the military docking bay. I thought the Support arguments were some of the best stuff in the game.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Speaking of minor touches I liked, the dialogue between Shepard and Tali when you first take her on a mission in 3 and have a rekindled romance is freaking GREAT, especially if you take Garrus along.

The flirting and subsequent eye rolling by your non-Shep-boned companion is just phenomenally funny, while also feeling like something real people would actually do when in a relationship while trying to hide it and act professionally.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By selbie

Nice observation there. I would never have known it. I totally told that guy to fuck off because of the war :P

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Subjugation

@Brodehouse said:

@wsowen02 said:

@Brodehouse said:

For the "I heard you were looking for fuel cell stabilizers so here they are" I'd agree. For the "these two people are having a conversation about the ethics of law enforcement, or whether or not they should enlist" that's exactly the kind of stuff that lets people feel like they're building a Shepard. My Shepard tells everyone that they need to join the war effort, she tells C-Sec to let misdemeanors go to catch terrorists, she tells refugees that they need to get their stupid ships out of the military docking bay. I thought the Support arguments were some of the best stuff in the game.

Why does everyone gloss over the fact that when you played as the Dovahkiin in Skyrim you did the same thing. So many of the side quests stemmed from overhearing conversations. I just think if people are going to be critical of that mechanic they shouldn't cherry pick when it's suddenly okay.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Subjugation said:

@Brodehouse said:

@wsowen02 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Why does everyone gloss over the fact that when you played as the Dovahkiin in Skyrim you did the same thing. So many of the side quests stemmed from overhearing conversations. I just think if people are going to be critical of that mechanic they shouldn't cherry pick when it's suddenly okay.

Yeah it's a pretty ridiculous argument. I mean not just Skyrim, almost any RPG involves you wandering into stranger's houses, talking to everybody you meet, overhearing arguments and conversations, and doing menial tasks for villagers when you should be saving the world. I could appreciate if Jeff was saying "These aren't real side quests, they're just dumb lazy fetch quests.", but the way he's complaining about overhearing conversations and such is pretty stupid, it's a damn RPG trope.

On-topic: I guess this is pretty cool?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Pinworm45

Refund Guy got more closure and a better ending than we did.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By I_smell

HAHAHA I think I declined his refund. If only I'd have known!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
    @Subjugation

@Brodehouse said:

@wsowen02 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Because this is made by Bioware, and that's made by Bethesda.
    LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By LibraryDues

People attribute the whole "overhearing conversations to pick up quests" to laziness, but I think it may be a way of avoiding the awkwardness of Shepard agreeing to run errands while the galaxy is being eaten by robots. Maybe they just could not think of Shepard dialogue that was even remotely credible, so they just made all the conversations private, and the artifacts stuff Shepard found on his own, rather than going out of his way to look for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.