Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Accident romance with another male?

• 60 results
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

Weird question, but I'm curious. My male Shepard romanced Tali in ME2 and I want to continue that in ME3. Basically, I was talking to Cortez (I talk to everyone on the Normandy after every mission) and as I was being nice to him I got what looked like a paragon option that said

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By natetodamax

(Accidentally submitted this before I was finished and I can't edit posts on my iPad. Woo!)

..."Do it for me", and with the way the conversation was going I was thinking that choosing that was going to start some sort of romance between us, which I don't want. Are all romance options separated like this, or will I find myself dating another dude if I keep being really nice to them?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Voxel said:

(Accidentally submitted this before I was finished and I can't edit posts on my iPad. Woo!) ..."Do it for me", and with the way the conversation was going I was thinking that choosing that was going to start some sort of romance between us, which I don't want. Are all romance options separated like this, or will I find myself dating another dude if I keep being really nice to them?

At one point on the citadel, you can talk to Cortez, and he says he is "checking out the eye candy", and the camera shows some guys dancing. You get the choice between "I'm eye candy too" or "I'm looking at the ladies". That is where you initiate it.

jonc151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jonc151

I watched conversations with him carefully cause I didn't want to get that same situation. Almost thought I accidentally romanced Traynor but we just played chess, I think.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

It's very clear cut and you can let him down easy. All romance options let you back out right before.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've seen a video of the actual romance bits before sexing. they give you about 6 chances to back out of it just in case you're real stupid and then would shout about catching accidental gay from a video game on the internet.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Waffles13

As the others said, it's pretty hard to accidentally bone somebody if you're reading your options. For Cortez, Kaiden and Liara I basically got the exact same option of "be friends" or "be more than friends". I may have gotten one for Garrus but I don't remember. 

I also romanced Tali in 2 and it's dead simple to keep up your thing with her when she shows up.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Morrow

@ll_Exile_ll: One question: What about multiple romances? Are the options with other characters cancelled when you start one or can you romance multiple characters but get in trouble for it (like in Dragon Age)?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaggE

The only thing I dislike about first playthroughs of ME games: avoiding accidental bonery, and avoiding accidental self-cock-blockery. I remained vigilant, though, to be absolutely sure I stayed good with Tali.

It's a shame that Legion isn't an option, though. "Giant hole" jokes aside, everybody wants a little Legion lovin'.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Sounds like some accidental buggery.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm
    @Voxel: Haha at the OP! I had the same prompt come up and I followed my kneejerk reaction to avoid a homo-situation, and hit the hard renegade option. That's my 'eject' button in case things start going sideways real fast. Renegade your ass out of that situation.
    jonc151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jonc151

@ShaggE: Legion and EDI are the obvious hookup. Upstream. Downstream. Card Slot. Packet loss. You get it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Morrow said:

@ll_Exile_ll: One question: What about multiple romances? Are the options with other characters cancelled when you start one or can you romance multiple characters but get in trouble for it (like in Dragon Age)?

I'm pretty sure you get tons of oporunities to make your choices. Early on, I told Liara that the Tali stuff was over, but later in the game, I still had the option to rekindle with Tali. I don't know what would have happened, but I still had the option.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

@jonc151 said:

@ShaggE: Legion and EDI are the obvious hookup. Upstream. Downstream. Card Slot. Packet loss. You get it.

I feel extremely SCSI laughing at that.

jonc151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jonc151

@ShaggE: @ShaggE said:

@jonc151 said:

Wow. Bravo.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morrow

@ll_Exile_ll: I see, thanks ^^

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By murisan

@ll_Exile_ll: lmao, that is.. man, that's awful

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

@jonc151 said:

@ShaggE: @ShaggE said:

@jonc151 said:

Wow. Bravo.

:D

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

I thought that the responses for that particular conversation were pretty simple to understand. I wanted to avoid more conversations with him, but I figured if I ignore his depression, he might make a mistake somewhere down the line. You can be nice to him without having to do buttsex and patty cake with him.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BrockNRolla

You knew what you were doing.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dany

All of these games have a option where you clearly say yes or no to a person.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

If your Shepard is male, you've already done it wrong.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I think it's incredible that you have to actively avoid a character so you don't end up fucking him.

honkyjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By honkyjesus

When I have a romance with another male it is no accident.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By cornbredx

That option you mention isn't a come on. I told him to do it for me because he's clearly upset and depressed about the loss of his husband and he really needed to take a break and get some down time. I like to be friends with everyone, and Cortez is no exception. I'm glad to read there's an out that isn't awkward at some point. I really don't want him thinking I'm flirting with him- that's not my intention. haha 

I don't get why Bioware games have all this romance stuff but its tied into being "nice". I'm nice to everybody; I don't want to sleep with all of them I just want to be their friend and make sure they got my back and know I'll protect them as well. It sounds, though, like they maybe handled that a little bit better then usual, though. I don't know, we'll see. 

It really sucks I made Miranda cry, though.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikeGosot
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    I think it's incredible that you have to actively avoid a character so you don't end up fucking him.
    I believe that happens in many Dating Sims. Oh, c'mon, Mass Effect is a dating sim.
    Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainCharisma

I did the same thing. Later on in Purgatory you can tell him what's up without being a jerk. Cortez will never replace Tali.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By ElCapitan

I wasn't sure if he was bi so I avoided the paragon option at that point on my Femshep just in case (I wanted her to remain loyal to Kaidan). Turns out that he's not interested in Femshep so I don't really have to worry.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sickVisionz

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Voxel said:

(Accidentally submitted this before I was finished and I can't edit posts on my iPad. Woo!) ..."Do it for me", and with the way the conversation was going I was thinking that choosing that was going to start some sort of romance between us, which I don't want. Are all romance options separated like this, or will I find myself dating another dude if I keep being really nice to them?

At one point on the citadel, you can talk to Cortez, and he says he is "checking out the eye candy", and the camera shows some guys dancing. You get the choice between "I'm eye candy too" or "I'm looking at the ladies". That is where you initiate it.

This made me lol. I'm just imagining the reaction people that I know would have if this happened to them in real-life.

Edit:... oh misread, I thought he was telling you to check out the eye candy. Way less funny now.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoG

I was worried about this too. The first conversation you have with him seems like it is going in a certain direction... I wanted to take the Renegade option to kill it, but I didn't have the hear to tell him he's all alone. This was after I told Miranda that we were still an item, which I thought would shut down other romances.

Funny, I had no qualms telling off Diana Allers. KEEP IT PROFESH GURL.

fusrodah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fusrodah

I told Ashley I was done with Miranda and then told Miranda we were still a thing and then I had sex with Liara at the end

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By OneManX

Yeah broke up with Liara and then got Traynor in the shower (b/c women shower int heir bras and panties)... and then Allers started to come onto me...

Apparently the end of the world, makes everyone horny. So... there that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Justin258

@Napalm said:

Renegade your ass out of that situation.

Excellent choice of words, my friend.

On topic, I wish they had an option to just turn off homosexual (or heterosexual, for fairness) romances in the menu or at the beginning of the game. I know you can back out anytime, but I just don't want to initiate talking about it in the first place.

Besides, leaving the option open for every crew member makes it seem like all of them are bisexual. Except for the Asari, I don't believe that any of the species in ME are all bisexual and it makes suspension of belief even harder when you realize that your ship is full of people whose sexuality is of a relatively rare type. I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me.

And no, this doesn't mean I'm homophobic. It just means that having one or two bi options and several options only for male and several only for female Shephard would have made the game's romances seem a lot more natural.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Justin258

@jonc151 said:

I found this relevant:

No Caption Provided
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BoG

@believer258 said:

@Napalm said:

On topic, I wish they had an option to just turn off homosexual (or heterosexual, for fairness) romances in the menu or at the beginning of the game. I know you can back out anytime, but I just don't want to initiate talking about it in the first place.

Besides, leaving the option open for every crew member makes it seem like all of them are bisexual. Except for the Asari, I don't believe that any of the species in ME are all bisexual and it makes suspension of belief even harder when you realize that your ship is full of people whose sexuality is of a relatively rare type. I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me.

And no, this doesn't mean I'm homophobic. It just means that having one or two bi options and several options only for male and several only for female Shephard would have made the game's romances seem a lot more natural.

I agree with you. To go even further, though, can you even consider a Human female/ Asari relationship as homosexual? Perhaps for the human, but Asari shouldn't have had any perception of gender prior to encountering other races. I wonder what Asari think of human males. Who says Asari even have a concept of physical intimacy? I guess I can't say this without absolute certainty, but I imagine human intimacy evolved from what we do to reproduce. Asari mind meld, which means there is no need for physical intimacy, or any physical contact. Asari have no reason to have ever engaged in sex in their species history. Mass Effect seems to have established that every intelligent race must have sex for pleasure, but very few species on Earth actually do this. I don't know, it kind of bothers me, and I've probably thought about it more than anyone should.

I have a hunch that Salarians aren't a romance option because they're one of those races that engages in sex to reproduce only. It could be excruciatingly painful for them, or something.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By JasonR86

Sure..."accident".

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I like the way Cortez is handled, I appreciate the matter of factness of him being a macho fighter pilot, being gay and it not being a big deal at all. The scene with him listening to the recording was quite touching.

I was actually kind of hoping he'd end up with Vega haha. I might go for it if I make it to a third playthrough.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Justin258

@BoG said:

@believer258 said:

@Napalm said:

I agree with you. To go even further, though, can you even consider a Human female/ Asari relationship as homosexual? Perhaps for the human, but Asari shouldn't have had any perception of gender prior to encountering other races. I wonder what Asari think of human males. Who says Asari even have a concept of physical intimacy? I guess I can't say this without absolute certainty, but I imagine human intimacy evolved from what we do to reproduce. Asari mind meld, which means there is no need for physical intimacy, or any physical contact. Asari have no reason to have ever engaged in sex in their species history. Mass Effect seems to have established that every intelligent race must have sex for pleasure, but very few species on Earth actually do this. I don't know, it kind of bothers me, and I've probably thought about it more than anyone should.

I have a hunch that Salarians aren't a romance option because they're one of those races that engages in sex to reproduce only. It could be excruciatingly painful for them, or something.

If we really want to discuss alien sexual biology in Mass Effect, then we would have to get into why it's possible for a human female to have a pleasant sexual relationship with a Turian male. For that matter, we would have to get into why no Turian females have been introduced. To my knowledge, at least.

On to the issue at hand! It's entirely possible that Asari do have some sort of organ that they derive sexual pleasure from, possibly a now-useless (in a practical sense) vagina that they evolved out of or something of that sort. For that matter, even if they do meld minds to reproduce, don't the fetuses have to grow somewhere inside them? Or at least come out somewhere? I know that when cells reproduce asexually, they just sort of separate but I don't think any highly evolved multicellular organisms can do that.

But then, this is entirely the realm of fictional biology. A question more grounded in reality would be "why is there a red line under multicellular"?

Oh, yes. Do Asaris have a sense of gender difference? The answer to that would be that they probably have an artificial one, i.e. they understand and realize that all other sentient species (discounting the two known mechanical ones) have different genders , but they don't really have a first person perspective on the issue. It's just a fact to them, something they store in their brains and remember. Similar to how someone who's never been burned can understand that a burn hurts, but can't actually know how it feels.

EDIT: Also, why are almost all of the aliens humanoid?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @believer258 said:

@BoG said:

@believer258 said:

@Napalm said:

If we really want to discuss alien sexual biology in Mass Effect, then we would have to get into why it's possible for a human female to have a pleasant sexual relationship with a Turian male. For that matter, we would have to get into why no Turian females have been introduced. To my knowledge, at least.

I think one is shown off in the comic/book. 
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By JasonR86

@LordXavierBritish said:

I don't know what's wrong with you, this happens to me all the time.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@AhmadMetallic said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I went through my first playthrough with Kaidan alive and I gotta say....... I really regret that decision, Kaidan is basically the new Anders from Dragon Age. At one point I thought he would start going off on a rant about Justice. I won't go into it too much but yes...... it's almost THAT BAD.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By natetodamax

Thanks for the replies everyone. Thinking back on the last two games, I do remember having pretty clear Yes or No options when starting a romance. It's been a while since I've played all the way through so I had forgotten that.

I do think Cortez is a pretty cool character though. His relationship with James is funny.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Justin258

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@believer258 said:

@BoG said:

@believer258 said:

@Napalm said:

Just Google'd it. There's a grand total of one, the very one you mentioned, and apparently the way you tell the difference between a male and female Turian is the lack of horns on the female.

So I guess Turian males really are always horny. Teehee, I made a horrible joke.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

I don't know who this character is because I haven't got it yet, but I hope it's not like Zevran from Dragon Age: Origins where by being nice to him he'll want to have sex, 'cause I went that far and then turned him down and for that he turned bad and I had to kill him.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By natetodamax
    @NTM

I don't know who this character is because I haven't got it yet, but I hope it's not like Zevran from Dragon Age: Origins where by being nice to him he'll want to have sex, 'cause I went that far and then turned him down and for that he turned bad and I had to kill him.

You'll meet him pretty early on.
    Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Kierkegaard

@believer258 said:

@Napalm said:

Okay, so, life lesson here: Gay, straight, or Bi, there is no flashing light on a person. Being comfortable with who you are, in life or as Shepherd, means that when people of the same or opposite sex hit on you or take something nice you said as romantic, as long as they do so without objectifying you, the decent thing to do is to be honest and nice to them.

Dancing with my girlfriend in gay clubs is great! The atmosphere is really fun and the music is intoxicating. If other men hit on me, I kindly say I'm straight and we're good.

You want Mass Effect to imitate real life romance? Criticize the hokey leading dialogue and cinemax-quality sexy talk. Having Shephard be an equal avatar for all people in this world is the best approach Bioware could make. Shame it took them this long.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @believer258 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@believer258 said:

@BoG said:

@believer258 said:

@Napalm said:

Just Google'd it. There's a grand total of one, the very one you mentioned, and apparently the way you tell the difference between a male and female Turian is the lack of horns on the female.

So I guess Turian males really are always horny. Teehee, I made a horrible joke.

Just wanted to let you know THERE IS! Boobs in their race. 
    Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude. 
    Give him the dick. 

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By big_jon

This came to mind for me too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.