Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

All PC Versions of ME3 Require Origin

• 157 results
    cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbk486

Source

Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)
    Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
    Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
    Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
    During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
    Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
    Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
    The German Origin EULA has been updated. For more information, please review the Origin EULA here:http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.
    8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails. Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

I appreciate everyone's patience on this topic. Please continue to ask questions about Mass Effect 3 and Origin and I will continue to try to get the answers for you.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this? I never had any problems with Origin, so I don't see this as a big issue for me. Though, I do understand people who had a bad experience with Origin skipping on this title.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mcfart

Origin's interface is pretty crap, and it's not nearly as good as Steam but....

I dealt with it for BF3, so sure?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Big surprise?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Eh, Origin was unobtrusive enough for BF3; I also get almost double the download speeds I get from Steam.

Not really a problem for me.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@cbk486 said:

Source

we...are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

You passive-aggressive bitch

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Fine by me. I run all boxed EA games through Origin and it's a lot less hassle than getting the disc out.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Sounds fair enough to me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

@BraveToaster said:

I think it's stupid that you need a constant connection to play the game.

You don't.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By spazmaster666

@BraveToaster said:

This is sarcasm right?

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pw2566ch

I have no real big issues with Origin, except for their customer service, but I still don't understand why they won't release on Steam. I mean, I know they said it's because of patches and DLC, but who cares? Let Steam have their way so you can have more customers and do you want on Origin. It's that simple.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By doobie

@BraveToaster said:

you dont. read it again

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#12  Edited By Lazyaza

Fuuuck I was really hoping it wouldn't require Origin, oh well not like I'm surprised or anything but fuck.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

@Jimbo said:

@BraveToaster said:

You don't.

@spazmaster666 said:

@BraveToaster said:

This is sarcasm right?

I misread "constant Origin connection". Sorry.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Fine with me; I'm over Mass Effect anyway...

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Darkstar614

Number 4 is the biggest load of PR bullshit I've ever read in my life. Steam is NOT the bad guy here, but boy do they make it seem like it.

"limits developers" oh you mean just EA first party developers who want to distrubute and sell their dlc exclusively through origin? SURE

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By david3cm

I'm going to go out on limb here and say that you will need origin to play any mass effect/battlefield sequel, or any other block buster PC-centric EA game. (OK, OK, those games are being console-ified, but they definitely started with PC in mind)

EDIT: Also, I kind of tuned out of the whole EA/Steam beef, what was EA's issue? "Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content." This really seems like the opposite of how Steam operates, or am I extremely misinformed about this?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By rjayb89

*fart noise*

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty

I was hoping Mass Effect 3 would appear on Steam and its DLC would ditch BioWare points. I guess that was a pipe dream.

Whatever I guess, I have to use Origin because of Battlefield 3 so at least I won't be using it just for one game anymore.

They can get fucked if they release it at like £40-45 though, I'll buy a physical copy instead.

Edit: Oh wait I just remembered I switched to playing these games on 360 because of BioWare points, so this won't have any impact on me at all. Haha.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McBEEF

Thats fine, origin isnt really obtrusive or anything, and you can disable it popping up in-game/run it in silent mode etc. No problemo

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Winternet

@rjayb89 said:

*fart noise*

Double that

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By poser

Well fuck that shit.

I bought BF3 and SWTOR on there, and one day both games got ramdomly deleted. And costumer service was utterly useless. So yea fuck Origin.

And honestly ME3 just looks like a rip-off of Gears of War. Ever since EA bought out Bioware their games have gone down hill.

Haseo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Haseo

Nice to see some common sense on here and not alot of steam fan boy butt hurt.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JasonR86

Was anyone not expecting this?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

@david3cm: As part of their new Free-To-Play initiative, Steam made it a requirement that all DLC for games be purchased through Steam and not directly from the developer. However, EA wants to sell the DLC for their games directly through their website and so their newer games are not allowed to publish on Steam. At least that's my understanding of the situation.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spazmaster666

Mass Effect 3 is a console game as far as I'm concerned so I probably won't even pick up the PC version until it goes on sale later on in the year. Mass Effect 2 on the PC certainly had a better framerate, but aside from that was basically the same game (i.e. it didn't even look much better graphically).

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By benjaebe

@StarvingGamer said:

@david3cm: As part of their new Free-To-Play initiative, Steam made it a requirement that all DLC for games be purchased through Steam and not directly from the developer. However, EA wants to sell the DLC for their games directly through their website and so their newer games are not allowed to publish on Steam. At least that's my understanding of the situation.

That's pretty much exactly what happened yeah. It's not a conspiracy like some people want to believe, it's just business crap. Origin is a fine platform so I really don't see the big deal - you activate it on Origin and unless you're playing multiplayer you don't even need Origin open (as far as my understanding of it is.) Plus you get a digital copy as well. If people don't buy a game because of the service it's on they really need to get their head out of their ass - if the Witcher 2 wasn't on Steam it wouldn't make the game any worse and you'd be stupid to not buy it on GOG. Same goes here.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Origin doesn't really bother me for BF3, it's very easy to pretend that it doesn't exist.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AndrewB

@spazmaster666 said:

Mass Effect 3 is a console game as far as I'm concerned so I probably won't even pick up the PC version until it goes on sale later on in the year. Mass Effect 2 on the PC certainly had a better framerate, but aside from that was basically the same game (i.e. it didn't even look much better graphically).

I agree in a way. I've pumped everything into the 360 versions of the games and I'm not dealing with transferring a save over to the PC version, if that's even possible with ME, so it doesn't affect me this time. I remember really wishing I could play the PC version of ME 2 though, because I actually feel it looks like ass on consoles compared to the PC version, as everything these days does. Specifically, it's the resolution that does it for me.

Man, 'tis really time for a new console generation.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo

@Darkstar614 said:

Number 4 is the biggest load of PR bullshit I've ever read in my life. Steam is NOT the bad guy here, but boy do they make it seem like it.

"limits developers" oh you mean just EA first party developers who want to distrubute and sell their dlc exclusively through origin? SURE

It's a fair distinction for EA to make imo. Why should EA give Steam a cut of their DLC sales if other digital distributors are prepared to allow direct DLC sales without taking a cut?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cbk486

@AndrewB: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/ This site allows you to download a bunch of different saves from ME1 and ME2. It worked out fine for me when I switched to the PC for ME2.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I get better download speeds on Origin anyway, so I have no problem with this.

I find it fascinating that people are still hating on Origin. It's completely fine, and inoffensive.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Aetheldod

Well I already invested more than enough on the console version , so I will skip origin as much as possible

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 71Ranchero

Im cool with that.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Creamypies said:

I find it fascinating that people are still hating on Origin. It's completely fine, and inoffensive.

I once wrote a short story about your avatar cat.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ze_ro

@Creamypies said:

this....also i'm slightly surprised how well this thread is going so far.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Juno500

Yeah, I won't be bothering with ME3 at all.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoeyRavn

Meh. I couldn't care less, because I think I couldn't care less about ME3 after the bittersweet taste ME2 left in my mouth. Remember "Arrival"? That DLC was terrible and forced a completely unnecessary, yet extremely deep, change on your character. I probably won't buy ME3, at least not at launch. And if I do, I'll probably just use a crack to get rid of the Origin hassle and be done with it.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By boboblaw

Yeah thats annoying but expected.

Probably the worst thing about this is that Origin/EA charges £10-15 more then steam. So I expect ME3 to be around £50

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By mikemcn

I don't care what i have to do, I just want Mass Effect 3.

@Boboblaw said:

Probably the worst thing about this is that Origin/EA charges £10-15 more then steam. So I expect ME3 to be around £50

That is messed up, Steam charges more than most other digital retailers when they aren't having a sale, but at least Steam is willing to adjust it's prices, EA, as the sole owner of very popular franchises like Battlefield and Mass Effect can just charge whatever it wants on Origin since you have to deal with them.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spazmaster666

@AndrewB said:

I agree in a way. I've pumped everything into the 360 versions of the games and I'm not dealing with transferring a save over to the PC version, if that's even possible with ME, so it doesn't affect me this time. I remember really wishing I could play the PC version of ME 2 though, because I actually feel it looks like ass on consoles compared to the PC version, as everything these days does. Specifically, it's the resolution that does it for me.

Man, 'tis really time for a new console generation.

It actually is possible to transfer your Mass Effect 2 saves between the 360 and PC. Here's the link if you're interested. I transferred one of my alternate characters to the PC after S-ranking the 360 version so I could finish the playthrough on the better version of the game. Did the same thing with Fallout 3 and Skyrim as well.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

@Mikemcn said:

I don't care what i have to do, I just want Mass Effect 3.

Same here.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Subjugation

As long as they've worked out the kinks with people being double charged for games and tried to improve upon some poor customer service, I'll wait to see what the future holds. Still not a fan of multiple distribution sources though.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iamjohn

@cbk486 said:

During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

Read: How fucking dare Valve ask for a cut of the DLC we're selling for our game that they're hosting on their servers. We're EA. We deserve all this money on the grounds of being EA!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By mike

It's a one time activation, what difference does it make if you need to use Origin to do it? Sometimes I think people are just looking for any reason, even a bad one, to be pissed off and rant about EA.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bybeach

I would have preferred steam. Since this is forthright though and not some obtuse bs, I certainly know I am not owed anything. Like 2 different posters said, 'fair enough' and 'big surprise'.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By benjaebe

@iAmJohn said:

@cbk486 said:

Read: How fucking dare Valve ask for a cut of the DLC we're selling for our game that they're hosting on their servers. We're EA. We deserve all this money on the grounds of being EA!

Their point is that they didn't used to require DLC to be hosted on and sold through Steam and now they do. EA would rather sell on all the other digital distribution platforms that don't require that.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Juno500

@MB said:

It's a one time activation, what difference does it make if you need to use Origin to do it? Sometimes I think people are just looking for any reason, even a bad one, to be pissed off and rant about EA.

I'm more concerned about Origin spying on my computer software.

I don't hate EA, but I'm not going to let them look around my PC, even if its not for malicious purposes.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By evilrazer

I don't care at this point. I play so much Battlefield, that Origin is running on my pc 90% of the time my rig is on.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iamjohn

@benjaebe said:

@iAmJohn said:

@cbk486 said:

Their point is that they didn't used to require DLC to be hosted on and sold through Steam and now they do. EA would rather sell on all the other digital distribution platforms that don't require that.

And it makes just as much sense for Valve to want to control that content for games that they are hosting and selling on their servers which ultimately makes them culpable for the content contained therein, downloadable or otherwise. EA's "point" doesn't make them any less greedy shits that are trying to act like Valve are these HUGE JERKS THAT ARE TRYING TO RESTRICT OUR GAMES. It's bullshit--bullshit that shouldn't be all that surprising because they're a soulless corporation who wants to make as much money any way possible so of course they're trying this, but bullshit nonetheless--that gets in the way of me enjoying their games and they deserve to be called on it.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I don't care. Origin doesn't bother me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.