Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

BioWare Agrees to Do Something About That Mass Effect 3 Ending That a Bunch of People Are Angry About

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    I don't think any of these clarifications will explain Tali's face being a stock photo.
    I don't think any of these clarifications will explain Tali's face being a stock photo.

It's physically impossible to step figurative foot onto any Internet forum or blog dedicated to video games of late without seeing some kind of commentary on Mass Effect 3's various endings. There are those who hate those endings, those who hate them with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, and also apparently a few people who either don't mind them or are--*gasp*--totally cool with them. But as with all things on the Internet, the fiery passion of a thousand suns folk generally tend to dominate these discussions, which has made the last couple of weeks exceedingly uncomfortable for anyone who just wanted to talk about Mass Effect without getting shouted at by angry people.

Presumably, BioWare would have to be among those most exhausted with getting shouted at, because lord have they been shouted at loudly and frequently lo these last couple of weeks. With petitions popping up demanding the ending be changed, and even some crazy person filing an FTC complaint claiming false advertising, the developer has been getting it from all ends. So it is perhaps unsurprising that Dr. Ray Muzyka took to the BioWare blog today to announce that through future updates to Mass Effect 3, the developer will be providing clarifications to the ending.

Said Dr. Ray:

Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

This has led some on various forums and social media outlets (myself regrettably included, as I first read about this on Twitter) to postulate that this means a straight up retconning of Mass Effect 3's ending, but reading Dr. Ray's statement, it doesn't sound like it'll be quite that drastic. More likely this would simply entail some kind of DLC update with story exposition that fills in some of the larger plot holes people have been complaining about.

Dr. Ray also addressed the rather vitriolic tone this whole Mass Effect 3 conversation has taken on, in just about the most polite way possible.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

So, there you have it. Whether you hated Mass Effect 3's ending or didn't, you're getting extra content designed to make you understand it better. Of course there's no guarantee that these clarifications will actually sooth any of the current unrest over the ending, but one can presume that if they don't, this whole petitioning and insulting cycle will just begin itself anew, and continue repeating itself until everyone gets the exact ending they want. Because that's how the world works now, I guess.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

It's physically impossible to step figurative foot onto any Internet forum or blog dedicated to video games of late without seeing some kind of commentary on Mass Effect 3's various endings. There are those who hate those endings, those who hate them with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, and also apparently a few people who either don't mind them or are--*gasp*--totally cool with them. But as with all things on the Internet, the fiery passion of a thousand suns folk generally tend to dominate these discussions, which has made the last couple of weeks exceedingly uncomfortable for anyone who just wanted to talk about Mass Effect without getting shouted at by angry people.

Presumably, BioWare would have to be among those most exhausted with getting shouted at, because lord have they been shouted at loudly and frequently lo these last couple of weeks. With petitions popping up demanding the ending be changed, and even some crazy person filing an FTC complaint claiming false advertising, the developer has been getting it from all ends. So it is perhaps unsurprising that Dr. Ray Muzyka took to the BioWare blog today to announce that through future updates to Mass Effect 3, the developer will be providing clarifications to the ending.

Said Dr. Ray:

Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

This has led some on various forums and social media outlets (myself regrettably included, as I first read about this on Twitter) to postulate that this means a straight up retconning of Mass Effect 3's ending, but reading Dr. Ray's statement, it doesn't sound like it'll be quite that drastic. More likely this would simply entail some kind of DLC update with story exposition that fills in some of the larger plot holes people have been complaining about.

Dr. Ray also addressed the rather vitriolic tone this whole Mass Effect 3 conversation has taken on, in just about the most polite way possible.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

So, there you have it. Whether you hated Mass Effect 3's ending or didn't, you're getting extra content designed to make you understand it better. Of course there's no guarantee that these clarifications will actually sooth any of the current unrest over the ending, but one can presume that if they don't, this whole petitioning and insulting cycle will just begin itself anew, and continue repeating itself until everyone gets the exact ending they want. Because that's how the world works now, I guess.

Tetharion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Tetharion

could be interesting if it turns out that some of the stuff the fans came up with are true (ID theory for example)

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I haven't played it yet, but it can't be that bad.

klimdeeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By klimdeeni

wow 
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

Where the hell do you see Tali's face ingame? Is it romance only?

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By CaptainCharisma

As long as they make some sense out of that nonsense at the end then I'm happy.

Autechresaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Autechresaint

Get ready to pay $10-$15 for the 'true' ending.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

I hope there will be cakes.

Shrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shrat

Stop it with the dumb headlines Alex. As soon as I read it, I know it's you. Maybe that's your goal, but try to make them slightly less irritating.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By SerHulse

Don't change the ending!

It isn't good, but changing it isn't going to help

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By liako21

i thought the title was kind of funny haha.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms over this. It just sounds like they are going to add an epilogue, not cut out the entire ending and add a new one via DLC.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Atary77

Like they mentioned in the podcast I'd be satisfied with the "Animal House" ending that would give us much needed closure.

Avatar image for burningstickman
    BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BurningStickMan

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, I guess.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SteamPunkJin

@Atary77 said:

Like they mentioned in the podcast I'd be satisfied with the "Animal House" ending that would give us much needed closure.

You need to visit Kotaku sir, they put one up last night.

As for me, I'd be happy if they just added some logic to the proceedings. Then they can end it however the hell they want.

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By CrazedMaverick

to quote Ryan on this, "BOO BIOWARE. FUCKING BOOOOOOOOOO"

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By ZombiePie

This all kind of reminds me of the Broken Steel DLC for Fallout 3 and how it "fixed" (or tried to at least) the ending for Fallout 3. Which if the DLC for Mass Effect 3 leads Jeff to going berserk on a Quick Look like he did for Broken Steel...I'm all for that hilarity:

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GValo

Hopefully this means that they clarify my only real issue with the ending: Information we were given in the Arrival is ignored during the finale.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Harpell

I find it disheartening that it came to that. So can I have a bonus disc mailed to me now explaining exactly whether the main guy in "In Bruge" is dead at the end or not?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cloneslayer

Bioware....

please dont make Baulder's Gate 3. I'm scared.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By phrosnite

Bioware is doing the right thing. Just explaining some stuff instead of retconing the ending. People who want a totally new ending are what I call idiots.

Should I start a petition to change that god-awful, bullshit, happy ending of Harry Potter?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By csl316

As dumb as this is, I'll wait til they change it a second time before quitting the internet.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By JackG100

How anyone could find the abysmal ending in ME3 alright is beyond me.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By GS_Dan

People got way too worked up over that ending.

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By abara

people are fucking cray cray

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sooty

Stupid stupid stupid. Anybody that buys this is giving publishers the green light to having game endings as DLC.

Maybe it's free. I doubt it.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By sixpin

Way to end an article on the most cynical note, Alex.

People need to relax over this ending. It is bad, it was poorly written/executed. It needs fixing from a narrative standpoint. Does it need to be completely changed? No. Bioware had a vision that wasn't well presented, but is now backed into a corner and isn't really in a position to make anyone happy at this point. It seems like the fans and press need to just sit in a corner and cry themselves to exhaustion.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By two_socks

@TheHT: pretty sure you only ever see if it she dies.

TheAmericanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheAmericanAce
    No Caption Provided
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Phatmac

Looks like complaining about shit gets you what you want now? Disappointed that Bioware didn't stick to their story and shove of any opposition. That doesn't mean that the ending was great, I hated it to. Still, I think this shit has gone on way too far. We'll have to see what happens next I guess.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Milkman

Roger Ebert was right.

Kefkaesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kefkaesque

I hope the "fixed" ending DLC is just a picture of the dev team all holding up their middle fingers.

anklamwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By anklamwolf

I suppose it is expected, in this beautiful snowflake age, that with entitlement comes ignorance. Those that cry out for selfish retcon are utterly clueless as to the consequences of their me first attitude.

You know what? Fuck it. Let the precious little bastards ruin what remains of authorial independence. I hope they get EXACTLY what they wish for.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Enigma777

Ugh.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By recroulette

Two ways I would like this to go. 

1. Forrest Gump 
    2. Snowglobe

gnitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gnitro

@Kefkaesque said:

I hope the "fixed" ending DLC is just a picture of the dev team all holding up their middle fingers.

I will be okay with this "fixed" ending. :D

metronome127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By metronome127

lol

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I don't really care about a new ending, as someone said in the forums "I can't play ME3 for the first time again". I didn't like the ending but thats just how it is.

What I really dislike though is the notion that whenever people get upset about something we get the really dismissive comment about the "vocal minority". People don't like the ME3 ending and complain about it? Hah, typical internet weirdos! Maybe where there is smoke there is fire. The fact that you can't talk about ME3 without mentioning the ending could actually mean that the ending was bad and people are invested enough in the game(s) to voice their opinion.

And no, it's NOT about everyone getting the ending he/she wants Alex, its about bringing closure to a story people invested 100+ hours in, thats not a crazy thing and nothing to get all snarky about.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Death_Burnout

@GNitro said:

@Kefkaesque said:

I will be okay with this "fixed" ending. :D

On board!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bacongames

I have to admit that the actual statements of Ray here are much more reasonable than what people assume or interpret them to mean. I'm going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what it is. I fucking bet its a thing that slightly clarifies the ending and then by that point all the controversy is over and people moved on to the next thing.

owlmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By owlmassive

Mass effect 3 was not about the choices you make....thats the main arguement... no matter what you did red green or blue with the same ending in different colours.... ive loved the games and i loved the 3rd up untill the last 10 mins which didnt make a blind bit of difference....

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By MEATBALL

Don't ever change, Alex.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ahgunsillyo

And here's your cue, you ardent Bioware elite VIP fanbase, you, to cry out in unison, "IT BETTER BE FREE, BIOWARE! WE WILL HOLD THE LINE UNTIL YOU HAVE GIVE INTO OUR DEMANDS OR ELSE WE WON'T BUY DRAGON AGE 3!" As if it won't cost them thousands and thousands of dollars to create this content.
    Alternatively, you can also cry out "LOOK AT YOU, BIOWARE, BUCKLING UNDER PRESSURE!"
    Either way, this whole situation is making me sick.

beld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By beld

I don't know why anyone is surprised at this. Bioware has conditioned their fanbase for this. People complaining got Tali/Garrus romances, gay romances, and a super special default female Shepard design. Also who did you think they were going to put their chips in with? The people complaining the loudest are also the people who would fork over cash to buy all sorts of DLC and tie-ins.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Tarsier

@Shrat said:

Stop it with the dumb headlines Alex. As soon as I read it, I know it's you. Maybe that's your goal, but try to make them slightly less irritating.

stop with the dumb posts Shrat. bla bla bla etc. turd.

Taka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Taka

The Internet just won ... now this will be used for eternity as precedence by everyone unhappy with any future ending in a video game

This is a sad day for artistic freedom ...

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By njean777

@TheHT: its on a desk on the normandy, Bioware was so lazy that they took a open domain photo and drew over it. Its really lazy and out right hilarious for the player to be rewarded such a lazy piece of art.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who follows Alex on Twitter knows that he's been a condescending jerk about this entire thing. So the fact that he carried that tone over to the article isn't surprising.

And he also continues to miss the point about why people actually were upset.

People like me were pissed off at the ME3 ending not only because it was AWFUL but because it was lazy and full of plot holes. Not only that, it flew in the face of countless things the BioWare team said would actually happen in the ending!

So instead of "whiny gamers get what they want after whining" how about "angry gamers call company on lies and bullshit.'"

I don't think this will tell gamers that if they complain a company will change the ending. Instead, I think it tells companies that when you're making a story-based RPG, that GAMERS CARE ABOUT THE STORY and that instead of figuring out ways to force players to go into MP or buy DLC, maybe they should actually create a well-written narrative with a satisfying conclusion. Shocking concept.

And for those out there who say that this somehow invalidates games as an artform because it proves they can just be changed to meet the demands of their audience, I have a few things to say to you.

Firstly, why aren't you saying this when game companies change the stories, characters and gameplay mechanics of their game to fit DLC and multiplayer? It's okay for a game company to comprise its story for monetized content? But not to fix actual problems with the narrative? I don't get that logic.

Secondly: Sherlock Holmes, Evangelion, Dallas. A book series, an anime and a TV show. All of which changed their narratives/endings because of fan demands. Video games aren't that special.

vizionblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vizionblind

@owlmassive said:

Mass effect 3 was not about the choices you make....thats the main arguement... no matter what you did red green or blue with the same ending in different colours.... ive loved the games and i loved the 3rd up untill the last 10 mins which didnt make a blind bit of difference....

/this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.