Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

BioWare's New Multiplayer Mistake

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Oh, BioWare. What won't you screw up? This morning, BioWare put the two new maps up, but that didn't allow the new characters or weapons to be downloaded. As BioWare explained:

The new Maps are now live, but we’re currently dealing with an internal server that’s gone down. As soon as we can resolve that, the new Resurgence content will become available in the Reinforcement Packs.

So, the game said it was updated, and some people spent loads of saved credits--or even worse, Microsoft Points--for a chance to unlock content that was impossible to unlock. As of this post, the new characters and weapons are live, but the Reinforcement packs that make it easier to unlock the content are not. You can still get the new content in Specter packs, but it's going to be much more rare than if you bought Reinforcement packs, which for some reason aren't online yet.

Now, I don't mind waiting a bit. I'm a patient person, and mistakes and delays happen. My big issue with all of this is that people thought that their game had been updated, and they thought that they had a chance to unlock content that was still completely unavailable.

Personally *I* would NEVER spend money on content that I could unlock through enough gameplay, but I can also understand why others might. If you make a lot of money at a job that leaves you with little free time, it's your own business how to spend that money.

The issue here is that some people spent loads of credits that they had been saving up, or spent REAL MONEY, on something that wasn't actually available to them. I know that if I was told the new content was available, and I spent real money for a chance to unlock something that I had no chance to unlock, I'd be a bit upset about the situation.

It may not have been intentional, but that's literally fraud.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ketchupp

Yes, I'm sure you could have done a much better job. Shit happens.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

Let's tar and feather their Canadian rear ends

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Icil

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Oh, BioWare. What won't you screw up?

Yay, this is already heading in the right direction...

So the issue is that even though the content is out, the reinforcement pack which is supposed to have a higher chance of new stuff is not out? So the content is live, but people can't get it soon enough? There's no way I'll ever have sympathy for people who waste their MS points on random chests of game loot. Talk about not knowing the value of a dollar...

EDIT: The reason you feel outraged enough to make this thread is because you enjoy Mass Effect 3's multiplayer.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

Sounds like an extremely limited interest problem.

This is all free though. If people were paying for it, that's their fault. And if they weren't paying and were instead using their earned credits, I guess they'll just be forced to continue playing a game that they evidently enjoy. That's quite a punishment.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Icil said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

So the issue is that even though the content is out, the reinforcement pack which is supposed to have a higher chance of new stuff is not out? So the content is live, but people can't get it soon enough? There's no way I'll ever have sympathy for people who waste their MS points on random chests of game loot. Talk about not knowing the value of a dollar...

EDIT: The reason you feel outraged enough to make this thread is because you enjoy Mass Effect 3's multiplayer.

I don't mind waiting a bit. I'm a patient person, and mistakes and delays happen. My big issue with all of this is that people thought that their game had been updated, and they thought that they had a chance to unlock content that was still completely unavailable.

Personally *I* would NEVER spend money on content that I could unlock through enough gameplay, but I can also understand why others might. If you make a lot of money at a job that leaves you with little free time, it's your own business how to spend that money.

The issue here is that some people spent loads of credits that they had been saving up, or spent REAL MONEY, on something that wasn't actually available to them. I know that if I was told the new content was available, and I spent real money for a chance to unlock something that I had no chance to unlock, I'd be a bit upset about the situation.

[edit] To clarify the issue, I've added the above text to the original post.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icil

@SpaceInsomniac: Is there an explicit in-game message (like the display on the right of the main menu) saying that the new content can be unlocked now? I don't think an XBox console update (which is handled by Microsoft more-so than EA) counts as being communicated from EA.

However, if EA communicated in game that the characters are available when in reality they weren't, it'd be a problem. If there's a message in-game saying that EA is having problems with their item servers (or some similar message) then I think gamers have been forewarned adequately.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Gaff

@SpaceInsomniac said:

I think to qualify for fraud there, well... has to be an intent to defraud someone? So, literally, it would fall under force majeure, or circumstances beyond their control. Was Bioware negligent in notifying players in-game that the content wasn't up yet? Yes. Fraudulent? Not really.

Also, topical.

No Caption Provided
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Icil said:

if EA communicated in game that the characters are available when in reality they weren't, it'd be a problem. If there's a message in-game saying that EA is having problems with their item servers (or some similar message) then I think gamers have been forewarned adequately.

I agree with this. I did not see if there was an in-game notification this morning myself, but the facts--as I know them--are as such:

1) BioWare announces new DLC to be provided at no extra cost. Says the DLC will include two new maps, six new characters, and three new weapons.

2) BioWare announces that the maps will be immediately available to all players, while other content will be randomized through the same lottery system that is already used for all in-game unlocks.

3) People load their games today and see that the new DLC pack is available, and that they can now play on the new maps. Thinking that this means the new content is available as well, they spend all of their saved credits on loot packs. Some people spend Microsoft points on loot packs. At this point, none of the DLC other than the maps is truly available to anyone.

4) BioWare posts the following notice on their forum:

Hi Everyone
    The new Maps are now live, but we’re currently dealing with an internal server that’s gone down. As soon as we can resolve that, the new Resurgence content will become available in the Reinforcement Packs.
    The new weapons and races are on the way. I'll post an update as soon as I have one. Thanks for your patience.

Other than a sad situation of people wasting their credits, this would almost be a non-issue, except for the fact that EA decided to allow players to spend real money on randomized loot. Because of that fact, this is a real problem.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Even if it's free people will still complain. I really don't want to live on this planet.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Gaff said:

No Caption Provided

@SpaceInsomniac said:

I think to qualify for fraud there, well... has to be an intent to defraud someone? So, literally, it would fall under force majeure, or circumstances beyond their control. Was Bioware negligent in notifying players in-game that the content wasn't up yet? Yes. Fraudulent? Not really.

Also, topical.

I didn't mean fraud in a legal sense. For example, I don't believe anyone should be entitled to sue BioWare/EA for deceptive practices, but I do believe people who spent money on loot packs today should be entitled to their money back.

And I love the comic. I also literally hate when people use the word literally, when they really mean figuratively.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By N7

I've seen people running around with the DLC characters.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Deranged

@Ketchupp said:

Some people are never satisfied.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaff

@N7: And...

Created about 5 hours ago, Modified about 2 hours ago
    The Resuregence (eugh: Ed) Packs have been fixed. The maps, weapons and classes are now available.
    Thanks for your patience.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer-Discussion-/Internal-Server-error-is-causing-a-delay-in-new-weaponskits-11250707-1.html

Breathe out.

@SpaceInsomniac: Well, the smart move would be to either give out free Reinforcement Packs en masse (eugh...) as compensation, or to track down the people who bought something in those 3 hours of downtime and well, compensate them. They do collect those EA Account emails for something. Then again, who knows!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@mcderby4 said:

@Ketchupp said:

You're both missing the point, here.

The tl;dr version: BioWare / EA allowed people to spend real money for a chance to unlock content that they had no chance to unlock.

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jtman54179

Relevant...Free DLC and people still complain

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Missing. The. Point.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By rjayb89

Point being completely missed here. Some people are affected by something on BioWare's end in which they cannot even unlock the new characters and weapons offered by this free DLC pack. I'm not affected by it, fortunately, and if I had been tons of credits and about ~400 MS points for spectre packs would have gone to waste because of this mistake I had no control over when I went through the necessary hurdles to be able to get them (credits, DLC downloaded, etc.).

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cataphract1014

Hey guys!

EA SUCKS AMIRITE?!

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EmuLeader

@Icil said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

This exactly. I have never once paid for loot in the game. If it just means I have to play more of something I like to get it, then there's no huge loss. Might be a small disappointment that the points could have been spent elsewhere for a chance at awesome gear, but it's no huge loss. I'll keep playing anyways.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

I've spent half a million in points now and still not a single new class unlock.
    Just weapons.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By delorean99947

@SpaceInsomniac: Some people like to feel full of them selves and not read the topic to see the point. Thankfully, I saw this before I went to spend credits in the game. I may not have wasted money, but I could have wasted my time that I took to get those credits.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Tennmuerti said:

I've spent half a million in points now and still not a single new class unlock. Just weapons.

The new content is now available in Specter packs, but it's still somewhat rare. They will soon be adding new packs that make it far more likely to unlock the new classes and weapons.

Although, this thread is primarily about BioWare's mistake that caused people to waste credits and real money when there was NO CHANCE to unlock any new content.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cataphract1014

I've gotten 4 of the classes and one weapon.

Had 440k saved up.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster

This seems pretty minor. All you have to do is be a little patient and wait for the server to come back up, right? It's not like server downtime is a rarity.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @SpaceInsomniac said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I've spent half a million in points now and still not a single new class unlock. Just weapons.

The new content is now available in Specter packs, but it's still somewhat rare. They will soon be adding new packs that make it far more likely to unlock the new classes and weapons.

Although, this thread is primarily about BioWare's mistake that caused people to waste credits and real money when there was NO CHANCE to unlock any new content.

Yea that really sucks.
    I only started buying after they confirmed that new stuff was made available.

Well it took about 1 million points but finally unlocked a single new class.
    DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrFlapjack

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The new packs that are more likely to unlock new stuff has been delayed until next week due to "technical issues". Instead this weeks packs will once again be the premium spectre pack.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You people could have checked the forums, or give it a little while.

NO NO I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW AND NOW.

I'm just laughing my ass off at all the Biodroids whining.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cataphract1014

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

You people could have checked the forums, or give it a little while. NO NO I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW AND NOW. I'm just laughing my ass off at all the Biodroids whining.

I don't think the people that are complaining are "biodrones". I thought that term was used for people that defended Bioware, not talked shit about them for every little thing they do wrong.@Jaytow said:

@Ketchupp said:

Argh... You don't have to have the skills of a professional to complain about something!!!

HOWEVER, this is free so I don't care.

You can complain, but it is absurd how every little mistake Bioware makes is ridiculed to such a level. If Valve or Blizzard would have don't the same thing, people would have just said, "Meh, stuff happens." Bioware does it and its "LOL BIOWARE CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT!!!"

Geth Engineer is my favorite class so far. The turret that heals shields is awesome, and chain lightning overload is always good. I just wish the Hunter Mode didn't hurt my eyes so much.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Shivoa

I think the problem here (at least why people are angry that the new loot wasn't added to the loot tables) comes from the core of the progression mechanic.

ME3 uses the F2P language of obscured progression rates (using an RNG) to muddy the equation of paying time or money to receive more options and range of gameplay. When progression towards rewards is measured in results there there is some range from outcomes (how much xp you get from a round when you did well vs badly and the moving average which has some link to your skills and style of play) but you can look at it and say something like "this class/weapon/option unlocks in about 5 more hours of play for me".

By using a RNG for rewards, ME3 doesn't have that. You can only say 'my next chance at this reward comes in 30 mins when I get enough points to roll the dice'. You can't make a concrete estimation of the cost in time to you of the reward you want (Hell, you can't even give it a concrete price in dollars as even that system is RNG'd) and so an ebb in fun that you think will be overcome with a reward and expended gameplay options isn't something you can reasonably estimate to be a fixed 'grind' away. Maybe the game opens up and you enjoy it for hundreds more hours with reward X, but you have no way of estimating how far away that is or even how much it would cost in dollars to skip the grind. That's a pretty awkward way of monetising an online game which isn't based on the freemium (F2P) model.

So when the new loot was meant to drop with the maps, and people spent their accrued time into the RNG to try and unlock new options, and later find out they weren't rolling on the chance of a new option; that's when they start to think about the whole system that the multiplayer unlocks are built on and start to get angry. Everything is hidden, no costs are known. Gambling for everyone!

I'm not a ME3 multiplayer guy, I played during the demo stuff to get a handle on it, and I follow this stuff because it's interesting to see how players react to this progression system (which I would have misgivings about implementing myself, I don't think it respects the time of the players - which is not to say I think no one can love it, just that I think these systems are more fairly implemented when people have a knowable time-to-gameplay-reward) but I can easily see why some players are very unhappy and why there's be a case for people demanding cash rewards if they spent actual money on rolling the dice for loot that was meant to be in the loot tables but isn't.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icil

@SpaceInsomniac: Thanks for clarifying.

No thanks to all the name-calling people swarming ME3 threads these days. Just because BioWare/EA fans tend to overreact, doesn't mean you can immediately prejudice them. Have some depth, internet people.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Deranged

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@mcderby4 said:

@Ketchupp said:

You're both missing the point, here.

The tl;dr version: BioWare / EA allowed people to spend real money for a chance to unlock content that they had no chance to unlock.

All I can say: patience is a virtue. Sucks for them that they spent money and received nothing but it shouldn't be thrown away on a whim without proper knowledge.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince

And suddenly Bioware is being hated... *Sigh.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Red

Yeah, screw BioWare for making people wait a little longer to get all of their free DLC. They're the worst at everything.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Icil said:

@SpaceInsomniac: Thanks for clarifying.

No thanks to all the name-calling people swarming ME3 threads these days. Just because BioWare/EA fans tend to overreact, doesn't mean you can immediately prejudice them. Have some depth, internet people.

Yes it is the fans of Bioware that are overreacting by creating this thread...

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rawrz

If anything I commend Bioware for ever saying anything since in reality they totally could have said nothing and no one would have ever known since with how the unlocks are setup its total random and people not unlocking them could have been passed off as just them being really rare.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By Sackmanjones

Screw them for giving us free dlc.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Icil

@Cataphract1014 said:

Not totally sure what you're saying here.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Icil said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

Not totally sure what you're saying here.

You are telling a person that created a thread called "Bioware's new multiplayer mistake" where the first line is "Oh Bioware. What won't you screw up?" And the last line is "It may not have been intentional, but it is literally fraud." that fans of Bioware are the ones overreacting.

He is calling a mistake over free DLC fraud.

FRAUD.

He seems to be the one overreacting to me. Fraud implies intent to do harm. Bioware did not intend for people to rush out and spend money on content that wasn't there. That is why released a statement. They could have said nothing and no one would have known.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Cataphract1014: I'll agree that fraud was perhaps not the best word to use, but I did also use the word mistake. As I've said, I certainly don't think BioWare intended for this to happen.

That doesn't change the fact that I still believe people are owed back any money that they spent today on the chance to unlock something that they couldn't possibly unlock, and it doesn't change the fact that is a serious issue.

But between the "we won't have an A, B or C ending" promises, and the day one paid DLC that is strongly related the main plot, and accepting real money for randomized loot in the first place, and Dragon Age 2, I'm going to stand by my "What won't you screw up?" comment. You're welcome to disagree with me, if you'd like. Feel free to object to my tone or opinions, but neither invalidates the real issue here.

But I will agree, and say "good for BioWare" for being honest with people and letting us know that they jumped the gun a bit. Again, if it wasn't for EA forcing them to allow people to use real money on randomized loot, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.

[edit] And let me just say a big thank you to everyone here who keeps completely missing the point of this thread. All of you posting comments that suggest that I'm bitching about not getting free DLC quickly enough or something, please do continue to keep bumping this thread. Thanks again.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Three0neFive

People dumb enough to pay for that shit deserve to have their money taken from them.

End of rine.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By viking_funeral

Wow. It is impossible to have a conversation about BioWare without both sides acting like condescending jerks, isn't it?

Yes, the new DLC is free, but people are paying money to get parts of this new DLC that wasn't available, despite being led to believe that it was.

On the other hand, this seems to have been a mistake that was fairly quickly resolved. Harm was done, but not a lot, and it was not intentional.

Most importantly, I now think most of you are jerks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By JasonR86

So, another 'Bioware suxz!!!' thread?

Oh internet, you fucking suck so goddamn much.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@jtman54179 said:

Relevant...Free DLC and people still complain

Fuck that guy. His shtick is tiresome. Everything isn't amazing. Technology is evolutionary.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By tourgen

If they are going to accept real money for something the onus is on them to not fuck it up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.