Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

did i miss something about the keepers?

SalTheButcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SalTheButcher

i know theres a bunch of plotholes, and the ending makes no sense (i would have been fine with the ending the way it is if it just explained wtf happened to everyone other than ur character, did every ship get destroyed and every non human race get wiped out? are the people that stayed in the other systems still there? why the fuck do the crew members u were with end up magically back on the ship (im guessing that one was just laziness/an oversight) and a bunch of other shit like that)

anyway i remember at some point hearing that the entire reason for the keepers existing was so that they could signal the reapers (i THINK this was at the end of ME1) but after the first game its like it was never mentioned, is it implied that nobody remembers/believes this or are u just supposed to assume they just didnt care or couldnt afford to lose them?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By selbie

It was pointed out in ME2 I think, that the reapers created the citadel and the relays to 'guide' civilizations along a certain developmental path. The keepers are just there to maintain the citadel. Unless I'm forgetting something.

SalTheButcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SalTheButcher

at some point they say that the keepers are the ones that send a signal to let the reapers know when its time to come or to wake them up or something like that, im pretty sure at least

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

I guess (?) they stopped that path from becoming an option in the first game? Every time I've seen a Keeper since, I wonder why Shepard wouldn't be opening fire on those things to wipe them out regardless of whether or not they're vital to keeping the Citadel (and thus the heart of galactic civilization) operational. Better to be set back even hundreds of years technologically than to allow a backdoor for the creatures who are going to wipe out all sentient life on the galaxy, eh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Keepers are part of the Reaper sneak attack process. Vigil states that after the Reapers left, their last researchers used the Conduit to go to the Citadel and essentially 'turn off' the Keeper's signaling software. That's why Sovereign had to go to all the complications he did in mass effect 1.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The Keepers' job was to open up the Citadel as a relay itself, warping in the Reapers. The Protheans did something that disabled that feature (essentially relegating the mindless Keepers to simply Citadel upkeep). After using the conduit to go from Ilos to the Citadel, the few Prothean survivors disabled the thing the Keepers used to turn the Citadel into a relay. They then starved to death, and the Protheans were offiicially dead.

This is why, in this cycle, Sovereign had to storm the Citadel itself and try to activate it manually (and was stopped by Shepard).

They don't attack the Keepers because the Keepers, much like the Collectors, are simply mindless drones that perform their task. In this case, Citadel upkeep.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MideonNViscera

I thought they resolved that, but I can't begin to guess which game. There's also the chance it was optional. I know I feel like they're not a threat anymore though. Just can't say why.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

Spoilers! Damn it, people. You goddamn fuck faces!

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By jmood88

@MideonNViscera said:

I thought they resolved that, but I can't begin to guess which game. There's also the chance it was optional. I know I feel like they're not a threat anymore though. Just can't say why.

They resolved it in the first game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.