Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Grenades on Insanity are stupid.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

This is World at War all over again. I dread every time I have to fight Cerberus because all that happens is a constant barrage of smoke grenades and frag grenades that kill me in 1 hit, and in the big battles if I try to get away from the grenade I usually just get killed by bullets.

I'm stuck at the Grissom Academy mission. I'm at the part where all the Biotics are helping you out, and I just can't do it. Smoke is just constantly everywhere with bullets coming through it with pinpoint accuracy, and frags coming through it constantly with pinpoint accuracy while an endless supply of shield guys walk towards me, and an atlas is chilling out shooting rockets at my face.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

I think they're overpowered even on hardcore. What's the worst about it is that grenades are entirely inaccurate and ineffective if you're using them, but awesome when enemies have them. Double standard, I say!

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dezztroy

I didn't have any problems with this. Just keep your distance.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

seems pretty easy compared to ME2 so far.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I'll never understand people that must do an Insanity run the first time. If you're not having fun, turn the difficulty down.

That said, other people have complained about the Grissom Academy mission as well.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DrPockets000

@CL60: Would you say the grenades are...Insane?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

I don't mind them. Keeps you mobile, makes combat more interesting.

McGrittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By McGrittles

Grenades are fine the turrets are whats bullshit

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By smcn

I didn't have any problem on Insanity, but it probably had something to do with having played a bajillion hours of the multiplayer demo. Spamming crowd control (Stasis works on everything except armor) and GingTFO as soon as I hear the beeping of a grenade is just second nature.

fusrodah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fusrodah

Grissom was the first mission I had real trouble with even on Normal

EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EToaster

@McGrittles said:

I love the turrets they put down. I can just hit them with sabotage and they murder every Cerberus asshole nearby without me having to bother. I hate getting flanked by shield guys I didn't even see, especially since the only reliable way to defeat them is with Biotics, and the only party member with Biotics is Liara, who I really don't want to have to take to every mission with Cerberus enemies.

Still, Grissom Academy was the mission that gave me the most trouble in the entire game so far, and I'm getting pretty near the end. That room in particular took me a long time.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dezztroy
    @EToaster said:

@McGrittles said:

I love the turrets they put down. I can just hit them with sabotage and they murder every Cerberus asshole nearby without me having to bother. I hate getting flanked by shield guys I didn't even see, especially since the only reliable way to defeat them is with Biotics, and the only party member with Biotics is Liara, who I really don't want to have to take to every mission with Cerberus enemies.

Still, Grissom Academy was the mission that gave me the most trouble in the entire game so far, and I'm getting pretty near the end. That room in particular took me a long time.

Just take Garrus with you. His Armor-Piercing Ammo can be given to the whole squad, which lets you simply shoot right through the Guardians' shields. And besides, why would you not take Garrus with you in the first place?

But if you don't want him with you, just put a Piercing mod on your weapon. Same piercing effect, but without the damage boost.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

@believer258 said:

I'll never understand people that must do an Insanity run the first time. If you're not having fun, turn the difficulty down.

That said, other people have complained about the Grissom Academy mission as well.

I missed out on that one. I had more pressing matters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If you're an achievement whore, the multiplayer thing is probably less time consuming. If you're not, there's no good reason to play on Insanity.

edit: Ah, I see they have a separate achievement for that. Well that's terrible.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By awesomeusername

No. Fuck insanity mode. I don't have ME3 but in ME2, scions can eat a dick

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

For Grissom, that part, I advise going up the ramp right away, and be sure to have your squad follow.

The mech won't be able to hit you, and with use of your squadmates powers you can take out most of the meat when they come up the ramps, and ample space to dodge grenades.
    Hard bit though, for sure.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

I understand the design decision to have enemies trying to keep you from sitting in cover, but they spam those things CONSTANTLY, and it makes every Cerberus mission a pain in the ass. I dread every one that I come across. I hope they patch it so that they at least don't throw them as often.

@EToaster said:

@McGrittles said:

I take Liara every time because of this. Singularity spamming works wonders because these guys never seem to have shields. Then there's the panic button of placing something in Stasis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Dezztroy said:

why would you not take Garrus with you in the first place?

There are people don't use Garrus? What!?

Next thing you'll tell me is that some people killed Wrex! And we all know that killing Wrex is like killing an adorable murderous kitten-frog-man; It's unethical. Just like Hitler.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Kiro

If you think grenades in ME3 are just as bad as the grenades in World at War, you gotta play World at War again. You don't get 5 grenades thrown at you the same time in ME3.

Insanity in ME3 is fine, it is supposed to be a little rough. if you can't handle it go play it on a lower setting.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By tourgen

yeah the grenades and turrets in that one room in particular are pretty bad.

The rest of the game is fairly easy though.

It's frustrating because it just feels like they took the easy way out on the AI and combat scenario designs. But I guess that's just carrying on the fine tradition of ME2 combat rooms.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SoothsayerGB

@Dezztroy said:

I didn't have any problems with this. Just keep your distance.

This and don't stay in one place for to long.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hoossy

@McGrittles said:

this...

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hardest part in the game, for sure. Enemy engineers put their turrets in the perfect positions, and grenades just seem to come from nowhere. The "biotic artillery" was totally worthless, as well. Took about 6 tries on Insanity. As Talicia said, the ramp going up is the best way to beat this. If you get lucky, the engineers will spawn at the bottom of the ramp instead of the top, making them easier to kill. Also, keep your party with you at all times. If you let them roam, you'll eat through medi-gel like Skittles.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowSkill11

The TC is having trouble beating the game on a difficulty level called INSANITY huh? Quite crying and become better at video games or tuck your tail inbetween your legs and turn down the difficulty. This isn't Dark/Demon's Souls. You have options. Man up.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Stahlbrand

@BrockNRolla said:

I think they're overpowered even on hardcore. What's the worst about it is that grenades are entirely inaccurate and ineffective if you're using them, but awesome when enemies have them. Double standard, I say!

Same. I just did Grissom Academy on hardcore as a biotic this morning. I died more than a dozen times in the atrium fight - most times I'd be doing pretty good, but lose my grip on the third wave and get one-hit by a grenade, or meleed from behind ny Guardian adds taking the long way around the arena late in teh fight. Had Garrus/Liara (which is to say only Garrus was dropping shields, and my party had too much control and too little damage). As a fully-invested Biotic Adept, smoke bombs ruin my ability to control and damage enemies - blind fire biotics stuck and I've got like a pistol to blindly fire with.

Did it eventually of course, but it seems like between this and the "From Ashes" DLC mission that the side content is harder than the mainline campaign stuff - it doesn't scale if you do it early in the game maybe? That is my theory anyways.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

@BrockNRolla said:

They are overpowered even on normal. They are one-hit kills, too.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stryker1121

@CL60: I'm stuck on Grissom, too, on Hardcore. Hell I made a help thread about it. Grenades are annoying but the turrets are the worst. I've failed on that fight 20+ times already, and am stupid enough to keep banging my head against the wall. I may just replay the mission w/ a different party..i just don't want to give up entirely and lower the difficulty.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By probablytuna

I found Insanity to be a bit easier than in Mass Effect 2, but yeah those smoke grenades are annoying as hell. Though there are scope mods that can see through that and paint a target for you.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By RIDEBIRD

That mission is very hard, but yeah, there's a little too many grenades. If you're not right near them you will survive though.

My advice is going up the ramp to the right as someone else said, kill the turrets and use something (there's plenty) to get their shields off. They're not that hard. I did it on insanity while bringing two characters I never used before (not Garrus nor Liara) and I didn't like any of them, they were quite useless.

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DirtyEagles

@CL60: Grissom Academy mission is messed up, it was hard on normal mode. Once you get out into the courtyard you just get lit up!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
    @ShadowSkill11
    The TC is having trouble beating the game on a difficulty level called INSANITY huh? Quite crying and become better at video games or tuck your tail inbetween your legs and turn down the difficulty. This isn't Dark/Demon's Souls. You have options. Man up.
    /facepalm
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Ariketh said:

@Dezztroy said:

why would you not take Garrus with you in the first place?

There are people don't use Garrus? What!?

Next thing you'll tell me is that some people killed Wrex! And we all know that killing Wrex is like killing an adorable murderous kitten-frog-man; It's unethical. Just like Hitler.

Did someone say Godwin!? Godwin!

In all seriousness Garrus is a good character but he couldn't match up to Miranda's completely broken stat boosts in ME2, despite her being an atrocious character :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.