Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 Demo, the main difference between PS3 and 360

• 51 results
    sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sthusby

I've been eagerly awaiting ME3, so when the demo finally hit, I downloaded it right away. I have both a PS3 and a 360, and have played through ME2 on both. The most rescent playthrough was on my PS3, so that I could get a perfect playthrough of ME1, without actually playing the game. For this reason, I have ordered ME3 for PS3. But after playing the demo on both platforms, Bioware has me very concerned.

The main difference between the platforms is basically this: the 360 version is playable, the PS3 version is not. The framerate on the PS3 version is at a steady 15-20 frames it seems, as the game stutters constantly, and hardly feels responsive. After first playing the demo on PS3, I later tried it on 360. Here it seems to run at a steady 30 frames, and feels much smoother than the PS3 version.

Obviously this is concerning. Please don't tell me we have a new Skyrim situation on our hands. How do you guys feel about the PS3 demo?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

hmm i'll have to check it out, i played the demo on both xbox and PC and it seems fine so far. It'd be a shame if the PS3 version isn't up to par.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Demos aren't always representative of the final product. They're usually based on older versions of the game, and tend to have bugs and stuff not in the final game. Wasn't the Kingdoms of Amalur demo riddled with issues that weren't in the final version?

So there's hope that the final version will be better.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

Mass Effect 2 was the same, the frame rate was worse on PS3 too. I'm sure it'll run slightly better when it's a retail product but expect it to be an inferior experience to 360. (on top of not having Mass Effect 1 save data)

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

I noticed this when I played the PS3 demo as well.. It was REALLY bad.. lol.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By N7

Whoa. What demo have I been playing? My demo has a steady frame rate.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

Unreal engine running better on the 360? Mental.

Also that'll be a shame if the final version is the same, darned shitty developers giving the PS3 a bad rep... Still, this far in to the cycle.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darklight

@Sooty said:

Mass Effect 2 was the same, the frame rate was worse on PS3 too. I'm sure it'll run slightly better when it's a retail product but expect it to be an inferior experience to 360. (on top of not having Mass Effect 1 save data)

Just curious, what does it change to not have Mass effect 1 data for the third one? I thought it used the Mass Effect 2 save data. Did they say something about using the data of the first game?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Sooty

@Darklight said:

@Sooty said:

Just curious, what does it change to not have Mass effect 1 data for the third one? I thought it used the Mass Effect 2 save data. Did they say something about using the data of the first game?

Well I'd have to assume it will reference some things at least. I was mostly talking about the entire experience though, you get the best experience playing Mass Effect if you've played it from the start and have your saved games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mordukai

@Darklight said:

@Sooty said:

Not much really. To be perfectly honest the changes from 1 to 2 weren't all that noticeable. It came down to cosmetic changes to the game. I know Bioware had a lot of ME1 decisions carry over but they mostly kept it "under the rug". The only thing you are missing out on by playing Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 is not getting to play the game.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By darklight

@Sooty: Ok, yeah I understand that. Since I played the first two on xbox and was now tempted to play the third one on Ps3, I wanted to re--create the exact same character and remake all the choice I did on my Xbox 360 counterpart in Mass effect 2. But if they announced something about having something extra for save of the first one, I would have gave up the idea and bought it on xbox instead. Now I just need the will to start and finish the game on the ps3 before march 3.

: Yeah, that's what I thought, thanks!

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moody_yeti

I like the ps3 demo better than the 360 version,Have had no problems so far with the ps3 version?

nathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nathos

There are a bunch of decisions from ME1 that will carry through to ME3, but if you used the "Mass Effect: Genesis" interactive comic when playing Mass Effect 2 on PS3, then you should be able to decide the most important ones and have them in your savegame.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngelN7

@N7 said:

Yep I've been playing both the SP and the MP and it runs fine for me on PS3

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHumanDove

I own both platforms, but I downloaded it on my ps3 and it looked a little off as well. Although I havent downloaded it on my 360 yet

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By N7
    @AngelN7 said:

@N7 said:

Yep I've been playing both the SP and the MP and it runs fine for me on PS3

We should play multiplayer sometime. It's so awesome.
    timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By timeshero

I could be the only one with this opinion, but personally I would rather play it on the 360 because of the Kinect. I feel like bioware actually got the voice commands right. They're responsive and feel great when you don't have to pause the action to bring up the circle menus.

>shooting dudes

>shout "Liara, Singularity!"

>dude starts floating

>"Garrus, Concussive Shot!"

-BOOM-

>enemy flies backwards and off the ledge.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sthusby

Seems like some of you are actually denying the cold hard facts. It has way worse frame rate, and as I said, I have both consoles so I can confirm this. And there's a pretty rough looking texture pop-in on the PS3 version that is simply not there on 360.

The only thing that gives me hope is that they used this exact demo for the 360 over and over when showing off the game, so they would have polished that to hell. This hopefully means that it's just this demo that is superior on the 360, and that the 360 and PS3 versions are matched when they ship.

And to you who said the ME2 frame rate was worse on PS3, I strongly disagree. There were certain areas where the frame rate was better on PS3, and other where it were better on 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS3 demo's frame rate is indeed worse, but only in the first section (which is weird, even the multiplayer performs well .) But this isn't a big deal, the frame rate in the ME2 demo on ps3 was also completely jacked but then the final version had a frame rate that generally performed slightly better than the 360 version.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AngelN7

@sthusby: I don't think people is denying it in my case I just have a PS3 so I can't compare and I'll take what I can get , I do know that ME2 runs better on 360 or at least It dosn't have as many glitches as the PS3 version because I played ME2 before in that console , I for one can't notice when a game is running on 15 frames or 20 so It won't make a difference for me , hey at least you can choose if it were for me I'll finish the franchise on 360 you can play Mass Effect there and carry more choices than the ones the comic let's you choose on PS3.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sthusby

@Protome said:

The PS3 demo's frame rate is indeed worse, but only in the first section (which is weird, even the multiplayer performs well .) But this isn't a big deal, the frame rate in the ME2 demo on ps3 was also completely jacked but then the final version had a frame rate that generally performed slightly better than the 360 version.

Yeah, this is what keeps me hoping still. It was the same thing with the Dragon Age 2 demo, and that game turned out to run much better on PS3. I think it may just be a consequence of Bioware showing off their games on 360, and therefor has to have polished demos for it.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGorilla

@sthusby said:

so that I could get a perfect playthrough of ME1, without actually playing the game.

You are a crazy person. If you want a so called "perfect" game so badly why don't you just go play an absolutely linear shooter? The whole point is to live with the potentially bad decisions you've made.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darklight

@AngelN7: Again, unless there's a source or statement of some kind about this that I missed, I really doubt that the xbox version let you carry more choice than what the comic for the ps3 does. The choice you have in the comic are the only one took into consideration from the Mass effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 I believe. Having played the first one and seeing the comic afterward, it's pretty much all the important choice in a nutshell.

But if people have source that the xbox version have more consequence than if you start with the ps3 one (beside the story), please let me know.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By TheHBK

Reason to get it on the 360? The sticks and layout of the DS3 drive me freaking nuts when trying to play anything with shooting.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AngelN7

@Darklight said:

@AngelN7: Again, unless there's a source or statement of some kind about this that I missed, I really doubt that the xbox version let you carry more choice than what the comic for the ps3 does. The choice you have in the comic are the only one took into consideration from the Mass effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 I believe. Having played the first one and seeing the comic afterward, it's pretty much all the important choice in a nutshell.

But if people have source that the xbox version have more consequence than if you start with the ps3 one (beside the story), please let me know.

Well the important choices do carry buy many of the small ones (wich are the ones that make the experience so personal and great) do not , Conrad Verner dosn't show up on Illium nor does Gianna Parasini (that undercover secretary you meet on Noveria) I can't remember the name but there's an Asari scientist you meet on Virmire that shows up in ME2 in the Grunt recruit mission, she appears there if you spare her life in ME but she dosn't apear in 2 (PS3) as if you killed her and I'm sure many other small choices won't appear too like that lady from the Feros colony I haven't reach that point so I'm not sure, again the important choices do carry but those small ones add a lot to the personal experience that make playing both games so much great.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dany

Has bioware games ever had any issues or noticeable differences between ps3/360?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

I find the framerate pretty choppy on the Xbox so far, but it's too late, I'm not going to play through 2 games just to play on the PC with my choices carried though. Not worth it.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darklight

@AngelN7: Oh, ok thanks for the info, I don't really remember any of those... hmm. Maybe I should do a Mass Effect Marathon from the first two before playing the third. But that mean playing it on 360.... decision, decision...

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Phatmac

It is worse on PS3, played both demos on the 360 and PS3. Dunno why this is happening.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sthusby

@TheGorilla said:

@sthusby said:

so that I could get a perfect playthrough of ME1, without actually playing the game.

You are a crazy person. If you want a so called "perfect" game so badly why don't you just go play an absolutely linear shooter? The whole point is to live with the potentially bad decisions you've made.

A gorilla once told me I was crazy. And no, I don't want to play a linear shooter. I want to play Mass Effect, but I want to make the descissions I feel are "right". If I were just going to play along after I made a descission I hated, I wouldn't enjoy the game nearly as much as I do today. You have to respect that, even though you are a young silverback.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @sthusby: I ran into slowdown on the ps3 version in the sp portion but the mp ran smooth as butter. Im just guessing its a demo thing
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I dunno. It seemed okay to me. The cutscenes seemed a little choppy on the PS3 version, but the gameplay seemed pretty good.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By N7
    @CL60: I don't understand that video. At times it showed the 360 version dipping too, yet the frame-rate counter was still at 30, while the PS3 did the same thing and went down to 20.

I think we can all agree that Bioware do mediocre console ports.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @N7: He has a notorious record of pointing out these things
    confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By confideration

Ya I have been *trying* to use my PS3 more, and even though I have it pre-ordered for 360 I played the demo on my PS3 and was pretty shocked. Tried 360 last night, and PC this morning and the PC version is of course as good as your PC hardware. 

The only thing I can't get over is the new default Jane Shepard

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wsowen02

Ran fine for me.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Floppypants

and here I was thinking the 360 version looked like and ran like crap. I even unplugged my Kinect because I thought it was impacting performance (not that the voice commands were even working). I've been loving the demo on my PC. I wish I could turn my 360 CE preorder into a PC CE, but Amazon is sold out.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the same thing and wondered if it was because my PS3 was the fat old model?

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Mass Effect had some rather excruciating frame rate drops on the 360, often when there was nothing really going on. So did ME2. I found the demo fine, I've had no issues with the frame rate on the 360, but the demo isn't the final game, so there probably will be frame rate drops in the final product. It's a BioWare thing I guess.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FunkyHugo

I'm in the same boat, I played through ME2 on both consoles, but I much prefer my PS3 save. But after playing the ps3 demo, I think I'm going to have to go through another play through of ME2 on 360. Fuck.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By masternater27

@TimesHero said:

I could be the only one with this opinion, but personally I would rather play it on the 360 because of the Kinect. I feel like bioware actually got the voice commands right. They're responsive and feel great when you don't have to pause the action to bring up the circle menus.

>shooting dudes

>shout "Liara, Singularity!"

>dude starts floating

>"Garrus, Concussive Shot!"

-BOOM-

>enemy flies backwards and off the ledge.

Not alone. I don't have a Kinect, but I'm considering getting one for ME3. And Gunstringer.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sthusby

@Chango said:

I'm in the same boat, I played through ME2 on both consoles, but I much prefer my PS3 save. But after playing the ps3 demo, I think I'm going to have to go through another play through of ME2 on 360. Fuck.

This is exactly my situation. Fuckings suuuucks.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @sthusby

@Chango said:

This is exactly my situation. Fuckings suuuucks.

I have a feeling the game will be much better on release. I don't have any proof but since it the ps3 version of me2 ran on a somewhat me3 engine I think it will be better. Also the multiplayer portion runs super smooth so another reason to support my hypothesis
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wuddel

Man this is hard. Bad framerate on the PS3 or lack of controller support on the PC.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By probablytuna

This is why I play on the PC.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Giacomito

Moral of the story:

Play the game on PC (1080p @ 60fps)

:)

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By haggis

I didn't notice a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions in terms of frame rate, but two friends of mine did. I'm not quite sure why that would be, but it is a demo. Unfortunately for PS3 players, this has become fairly standard on multiplatform titles. Kinda shitty. Let's hope the retail version gets most of the kinks out. Otherwise, I didn't notice much of a visual difference between the two versions. On the other hand, the PC version ... wow. These consoles are getting pretty damned old now, aren't they?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vitor
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Garrus

This is probably some stupid Asari scam to do with equipment failure, in order to push you to buy a different console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.