Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 - First Details

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Sources:
    FZ (Swedish site)
    Gaming Everything
    NeoGAF
    GameBlurb
    GameInformer
    PSM3

Update April 30th

To complete the article series, and conclude my forum thread rather nicely, the editors at GameInformer made a podcast to answer some of the questions people have aired since the series started. Not much of what they say is new and there are no Bioware staff in the podcast. But if you can't be bothered to read the magazine article, I'd say this is a good complement to it. Only new thing I heard in it was that you're suppose to be able to grab dudes over cover if you're sitting behind the same one.

Update April 21st

PSM3's article have been scanned and, while very little is new, they are confident to say that " Liara will be part of your standard crew" and that you will be able to "sex her up till she turns blue(r)in the face!". Yes. Smooth...

Update April 20th

Two screenshots have been published. Most interesting part is the description: "Both of the screens highlight Commander Shepard fighting Cerberus forces on the Salarian homeworld"

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Mass Effect: Evolution
    Mass Effect: Evolution
    Update April 11th
    The hinted Game Informer reveal was a preview of the final issue of Mass Effect: Evolution. No wonder the Illusive Man is such a racist. It's always over a woman. Next update is the 13th.

Update April 10th 
    High quality scans have slipped out. Take a look at them before they're taken down
    • Normandy SR2 have been taken by the Alliance and is being taken apart, examined and refitted to suit them
    • The beginning of ME3 is only a few months after the Suicide Mission
    • Earth is pretty much fucked from the get-go. The goal revolves more around retaking the planet
    • The means to do this are very much unclear and there seem to be several ones to retake Earth
    • Oh shit, son! A female Cerberus assassin with a sword and a glove that seem to hint at genetically engineered biotics
    • The means to gain the support of an allied race will not be as simple as doing a simple loyalty mission this time. It's possible you need to wipe out an entire race to gain the support of another
    • New Game + will be a breed of both ME1 and 2, using the "continue play" from ME2 while also allowing New Game + from ME1.
    • Shepard will be able to roll and leap over object without having to duck behind them (also, ladders. No more giant ramps to get to an upper level)
    • Movement while in cover and in combat is suppose to be more fluid and fast paced
    • Melee will have a bigger focus and each class will have a unique close-quarters attack (do I hear biotic falcon punch, anyone?)
    • You'll be able to pick up enemy weapons
    • Why The Illusive Man hunts Shepard is not going to be revealed, but he has a reason
    • Thresher Maw vs Reaper wrestling is mentioned as scale in events that will take place on the battlefield
    • Sanders is a regular Alliance soldier who will be about as oblivious to what goes on in ME3 as a new player would be who haven't played the first two games
    • Hudson mentions how an MMO that takes place after the finale of ME3 would "make sense", though no word about any plans about new Mass Effect related games was mentioned

Update April 9th

New pictures surfaced
    • First one shows Shepard standing with Kaidan and Liara. Looks like Kaidan have gotten a haircut and he seems to sport a heavier armor type now. Liara looks like she came straight from Lair of the Shadow Broker
    • Second one shows Reapers patrolling a city with large spotlights, hunter-killer style
    • Third one shows husks and what appears to be some kind of Reaper constructed assault husk, made from a Batarian
    • Last one is suspected to be a corrupted Keeper and looks like a bomb on four legs

Well hello there, Ash!
     Well hello there, Ash!
    April 8th
    • Game starts out with Shepard on Earth, standing trial for what happens in Arrival
    • The reapers will attack during this process
    • Shepard fights his way to get off the planet, to mobilize allied armies to fight back
    • Shepard is definitely not with Cerberus anymore since it seems they aim to kill him now
    • Weapons will be similar to Mass Effect 2 but will be possible to customize with addons such as scopes
    • Squad mates so far are Liara, Ash/ Kaidan, Garrus and James Sanders (I speculate he's a relative to Kahlee Sanders from the books. And no, he's not the sniper.)
    • Other confirmed characters are Legion, Mordin, Anderson, Udina and Wrex (depending on whether they're alive or not, and I'm not sure they will be party members)
    • Several endings
    • Bigger freedom in choosing skills, distributing skill points and there will be specializations later on in the game
    • All classes can carry any weapon this time but will have limited slots - while the Soldier will be able to carry all types at the same time
    • ME3 will ship with an interactive comic book across all platforms.
    • Bioware seem more keen to keep the lid on excessive spoilers this time.
    • No multiplayer

Also, GameInformer have a site page that seem to get updated with the information from the paper on the 11th.

Lastly, please note that just because a character's name isn't in the article, doesn't mean he, or she, isn't in the game. As mentioned before: Bioware is going to be a lot more restrictive with revealing details this time around.

Personally, I'm effin stoked for this game. Can't wait to kick some Reaper butt with Garrus, Liara and Tali at my side. I might just give Kaidan a chance even if he was such a dick in ME2.
    The holidays just can't come sooner.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" Having not read the Gameinformer paper myself yet, I can't exactly confirm authenticity of these details but they have begun to trickle onto several sites so I'll post what I've gathered so far.

Sources:
    FZ (Swedish site)
    Gaming Everything
    NeoGAF

(Will post a picture later. The sluggish site refuses to allow me to)

• Shepard is on trial for what happens in Arrival
    • Shepard is definitely not with Cerberus anymore since it seems they aim to kill him now
    • Weapons will be similar to Mass Effect 2 but will be possible to customize with addons such as scopes
    • Squad mates so far are Liara, Ash/Kaidan, Garrus and Sanders
    • Other confirmed characters are Legion, Mordin, Anderson, Udina and Wrex (depending on whether they're alive or not, and I'm not sure they will be party members)
    • Several endings
    • Bigger freedom in choosing skills and there will be specializations later on in the game
    • All classes can carry any weapon this time but will have limited slots, while the Soldier will be able to carry all types.
    • No multiplayer
    "
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Edit: now that' I've calm down a bit from my initial excitement, I am so fucking stoked to see Liara and Garrus confirmed. Ash can kiss my ass, she dumped me, but the only thing that worries me slightly is the lack of confirmed Wrex companion. I suppose with where he is in his own story it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him to drop everything on Tuchanka and join my crew, but goddamn it I want him back!

Also glad to see Mordin and Legion are back, we didn't get nearly enough time with Legion and I really want to see where Mordin goes with the genophage data. I take it that Sanders is the British sniper from the trailer? I figured he'd be a companion considering Bioware doesn't waste trailers using shit that has no bearing on the game itself. If a character shows up in a Bioware trailer, you can be 90% sure that the person will be in the game somewhere. Now for gameplay...

The choice of weapon types is a much better decision, I feel. I loved playing Vanguard and using the uber-powered Biotic Charge, but sometimes it wasn't tactically viable, so I'd be stuck plinking at enemies with a heavy pistol at long range. Using Vanguard with Shotgun + Assault Rifle (with scope, of course) would definitely be a more advantageous load-out from the start. Do you know if there is any word on whether or not class importing from ME2 will provide us a chance to change our base class?

Overall, for class skills and specializations it seems they're making it a mix of ME1 and ME2, which is probably better than the really linear upgrade path of ME2. 
    Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Sounds too good to be true. Weapons customization is HUGE, every game should have that feature.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

<------------------------ STOKED!

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By MistaSparkle

And when it comes out I'll pop in ME2.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainObvious

Sounds awesome.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DrPockets000

The fuck is Tali?  That's all that matters.  Not really, but that woman is Shepard's fire.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ssj4raditz

Is there a solid release date yet? I can't start worrying about ME3 until I know when it's coming out!

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By XenoNick
    @PhatSeeJay said:

"

• No multiplayer
    "
    That one fact has made my day.

Kinda gutted Miranda isn't confirmed.
    linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By linkster7

Well I got chills from reading that so I guess I'm excited

But I need some Tali  confirmation now! 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

No Jack?  No sell!  (Coming from the guy who hasn't played either of the games)

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nexas

Goddammit Liara? Hope I get to kill her as soon as possible.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder
    @XenoNick said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:
    "No multiplayer"
    That one fact has made my day. "
    Indeed :3

Also, I hope the Mako's back; I wanna explore planets...that have space monkeys :o
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rattle618

What do you mean no multiplayer??!!! God damn it bioware you keep screwing up your games.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @DrPockets000 said:

" The fuck is Tali?  That's all that matters.  Not really, but that woman is Shepard's fire. "

@Linkster7 said:

"But I need some Tali  confirmation now! 
    "

If you look at the characters, note that the ones that aren't confirmed as squad members are characters you couldn't romance. While the ones confirmed as squad members, save for Sanders, are characters that you could.
    I'm confident Tali will be at Shepard's side.
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By selbie

Thank fuck Tali isn't in that list. She was beginning to get on my nerves, so I killed her off. Stupid OCD Quarians spawning the Geth >___>
    As for gameplay, I just hope there is more exploration. I don't want it to be focused entirely on Earth.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Druminator

Awesome. Makes me want to put ME2 back in!

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wonder how the Talimancers will react.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @selbie: From what I've gathered, you'll only be on Earth in the prologue and when it's time to hit back. No idea how much time goes between that, of course, but Shepard need to mobilize the other races.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

Uh oh, I just got that feeling.  I'm excited about Mass Effect 3.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By General_D23

Fuck yeah, Garrus confirmation is half of the squadmate confirmations I need before going on a media blackout (like that'll happen)!

Everything else seems to be as expected. Mobilizing the races, more RPG elements, no multiplayer, thankfully.

Kind of disappointed in the Cerberus revelation, I had hoped they would be smarter then that. And yeah, what the fuck happened to Ashley. I'll be having Kaiden anyway.  Wonder how much time has passed since the end of ME2 and the beginning of ME3.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @General_D23:  There was never a nailed down time lapse between Arrival and ME3 but there was word that the destruction of the Alpha relay would delay the Reapers by months or up to a year.
    Which makes me believe Shepard will have spent some time in jail, or have at least been stripped of his ship and resources, while awaiting trial. Making Arrival pretty much a waste of time.
    Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Master_Funk

uhhh I fucking hated ashley and kayden . So boring compared to the characters in ME2.

Also , more mordin is always better
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " Having not read the Gameinformer paper myself yet, I can't exactly confirm authenticity of these details but they have begun to trickle onto several sites so I'll post what I've gathered so far.

Sources:
    FZ (Swedish site)
    Gaming Everything
    NeoGAF

If that's Ashley then boy did I pick the wrong character to sit with the bomb in ME1.   
      If that's Ashley then boy did I pick the wrong character to sit with the bomb in ME1.   

• Game starts out with Shepard on Earth, standing trial for what happens in Arrival
    • Shepard fights his way to get off the planet, to mobilize allied armies to fight back
    • Squad mates so far are Liara, Ash/Kaidan, Garrus and Sanders (I speculate he's a relative to Kahlee Sanders from the books. And no, he's not the sniper.)
    • Several endings
    • Bigger freedom in choosing skills, distributing skill points and there will be specializations later on in the game
    • All classes can carry any weapon this time but will have limited slots - while the Soldier will be able to carry all types at the same time
    • Bioware seem more keen to keep the lid on excessive spoilers this time.
    • No multiplayer

Also, GameInformer have a site page that seem to get updated with the information from the paper on the 11th.

Send me a reply when you find new info and I'll update this post with it. "
    Yay legion! 
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By General_D23
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" @General_D23:  Making Arrival pretty much a waste of time. "

Admittedly, we kind of already knew that after playing it, but nice to get confirmation, I suppose.

I could see Shepard being taken in a year after ME2, right when the Reapers arrive, and another year passing with Shepard in prison while the Reapers set up for the long haul that inevitably comes with exterminating the galaxy the old-fashioned way.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#27  Edited By alistercat

So even if you never did arrival it happens anyway? Seems logical I guess. I'll buy it anyway.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dany
    @AlisterCat said:
    " So even if you never did arrival it happens anyway? Seems logical I guess. I'll buy it anyway. "
    I forsee that the intro comic will automatically pick up some DLC story lines like Shadow Broker and Arrival
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany
    @General_D23 My only question is how much does the galactic society know about the reaper threat
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nux

Sounds awsome, I hope Wrex is a party member again.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By probablytuna

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH MORE MASS EFFECT///////

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Dany: Pretty much squat since the "reaper threat" was turned into an attack of one reaper and an armada of geth.
    Only people that actually know are the ones around Shepard. The others can't really confirm more than that they have seen one reaper, and they killed him in the battle at the Citadel.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By phrosnite

Nice. Also, Legion!

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By General_D23
    @Dany said:

" @General_D23 My only question is how much does the galactic society know about the reaper threat "

Hmm...

The Alliance leadership seems to know. The geth know, the quarians, thanks to Tali, at least acknowledge it. The krogan under Wrex are probably aware too. The batarian government may or may not know. Because of the events of Retribution, Aria from Omega seems to have some knowledge if I remember correctly, though that is dubious ally to be fair.

I think I'm coming around on the 'Council knows and is doing something behind the scenes' theory, though I could see Bioware going either way with that.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Marz

but but....   where's the Conrad Verner information!?  He needs to be squad mate!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By luce

Liara and Legion is all that matters. 

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeeGee

Conrad died in my game, so he's out of the running for possible squad mate D:

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Contro

That all sounds cool to me. 

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By zidd

Sooo stoked for this. Now I just have to go back and replay the first 2 games because of a hard drive failure that killed my Shepard.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slaker117
    @PhatSeeJay said:

Game starts out with Shepard on Earth, standing trial for what happens in Arrival

I wonder how they'll handle that if you didn't play Arrival.

Shepard is definitely not with Cerberus anymore since it seems they aim to kill him now

Why? If you give The Illusive Man the Reaper base you should still be friendly, and even if you didn't, he my not like you, but it's still in humanity's best interest to keep you alive. Cerberus might be full of spiteful jerks, but I don't think they would be so shortsighted.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By General_D23
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Why? If you give The Illusive Man the Reaper base you should still be friendly, and even if you didn't, he my not like you, but it's still in humanity's best interest to keep you alive. Cerberus may be spiteful jerks, but I don't think they would be so shortsighted. "
    That was my hope, too. I destroyed the base, but really, the Reapers are still coming and there really shouldn't be any infighting for the moment. I had hoped the Illusive Man would've at least called off payback until after the Reapers were dealt with.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @General_D23 said:

" @Slaker117 said:

" Why? If you give The Illusive Man the Reaper base you should still be friendly, and even if you didn't, he my not like you, but it's still in humanity's best interest to keep you alive. Cerberus may be spiteful jerks, but I don't think they would be so shortsighted. "

That was my hope, too. I destroyed the base, but really, the Reapers are still coming and there really shouldn't be any infighting for the moment. I had hoped the Illusive Man would've at least called off payback until after the Reapers were dealt with. "
    Well one never knows in what mysterious ways the Illusive Man works. If you blew up the base, I'm sure he's pissed at you for that. Not to mention the fact that EDI is unlocked now and give Shepard access to sensitive Cerberus data.
    If you give him the station, one could guess that he has no need for Shepard anymore and wants him gone for the same reason as above.

Also, since you turn yourself into Alliance hands after Arrival, I'm sure he's considered too loyal to them for The Illusive Man's liking, or perhaps a liability, again going back to EDI.

I don't know, I'm just guessing on this. I could never figure that man out.
    MystDragon3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MystDragon3k

What I hear has me excited...I still have a million other questions I want answered, but I can wait for the game itself to answer those for me.
    Me, I hope the game focus' more on "gathering allied armies" rather than recruiting squadmates...obviously recruiting Kahlee (I'm so glad I read those books) and maybe that British sniper would be good to sprinkle in throughout the game, but I wanna delegate between some Krogan death squads, and the Rachni swarm, and the Quarian fleet, and the Geth strike force, and the Turian armada...let me make promises and deals (ala Fable 3 style) and assign them certain tasks during the final counter- attack against the Reapers.
    Should I send the Krogans up the middle path, when they may have to encounter my Rachni forces along the way, is that going to cause problems, or do they trust me enough not to let it be a problem? This is the stuff I want. I have a team of the most badass individuals, give them roles on my ship (Tali can run engineering, Mordin can create upgrades, ect.) while some of them can join me on away missions (Grunt, Jack, Legion).

I can want all day but im just happy to see they're starting to let us know what to expect.

Still...is Kasumi going to be there waiting for me?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Sounds great.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...oh my...oh dear...*faints*

TromboneTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TromboneTony

No Thane? That makes me sad. I felt like he could turn into a really well-developed character. I guess we can't have them all though.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sameeeeam

I am pretty damn excited right now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By penguindust

Mordin and Legion being back are awesome.  Liara as a party member again, also awesome, but where the hell is Tali?  I wanted my love interest from the first game to fight with my romance option from the second game.  The winner gets some good good lovin'...the loser has to hold the camera. 

I'm glad Shepard is at odds with Cerberus.  I never liked or trusted any of them. 

The biggest question I have is what irritation will replace the Mako missions from ME1 or scanning for minerals in ME2 in this third outing?  What's going to be the game element that pisses me off?
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FreakAche
    @TromboneTony said:
    " No Thane? That makes me sad. I felt like he could turn into a really well-developed character. I guess we can't have them all though. "
    I severely doubt that list is exhaustive.
    DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DTKT
    @PenguinDust said:
    " Mordin and Legion being back are awesome.  Liara as a party member again, also awesome, but where the hell is Tali?  I wanted my love interest from the first game to fight with my romance option from the second game.  The winner gets some good good lovin'...the loser has to hold the camera.  I'm glad Shepard is at odds with Cerberus.  I never liked or trusted any of them.  The biggest question I have is what irritation will replace the Mako missions from ME1 or scanning for minerals in ME2 in this third outing?  What's going to be the game element that pisses me off? "
    I wouldnt be surprised if they kept some squadmates as a surprise.

A bit like Legion.

I still hope Tali is in though :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.