Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

People who didn't like the Mako

• 125 results
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Sooty

The Mako was shit because of the dire controls and aiming restriction.

Also:

No Caption Provided
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By ImperiousRix

@Brendan said:

I think it's crazy that seemingly everyone hated the Mako then, and seemingly everyone loves it now. You internet people are all nuts.

Yep, my feelings too. I did not like the Mako and still do not like it, yet felt like that was how most people felt. Now suddenly in Mass Effect 3, everyone is saying they loved the Mako? WHA' HAPPEN!?

I will say this, though. The Mako actually wasn't as bad as the Hammerhead in my opinion.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By phrosnite

@Sooty said:

Also:

No Caption Provided

In the 102 hours in ME1 this has happened to me once :) It was funny. Controls were fine on PC.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

I just wish the moon was cooler...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sooty

@phrosnite said:

@Sooty said:

Also:

No Caption Provided

In the 102 hours in ME1 this has happened to me once :) It was funny. Controls were fine on PC.

I was so annoyed because I was playing on 360 in order to buy the ME2 DLC that was on sale, then I had no quick saves. ;_____;

It's definitely better on PC, still a bit annoying. I don't like how floaty the thing is.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By CptBedlam

I loved the Mako, too... despite it's janky-ness.

It was fun cruising across the planet surfaces and most importantly: these game portions gave the game a massive sense of scope - something that the other ME2 are severely lacking.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Tennmuerti

Mako 4 life.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Death_Burnout

@Jost1:

I am with you to the ends of the earth!!!!

I thought I was the only one who liked that stuff, it felt so much more meaningful being able to land on a planet and actually experience it's atmosphere and fauna. Sure there were some sketchy parts, like the same underground bases all the time, but it was miles better than the soulless side missions in 2 and the lack of anything substantial in 3.

Still Mass Effect 1 is my favourite of the three, largely because of this and the fact it's more of a traditional RPG.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By nohthink

@Jost1: I'm totally with you!

Mako was pretty awesome.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#60  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The Mako is the reason I've only played through Mass Effect twice. Not only does that thing control like garbage, but if a thresher maw decides to spawn under you it is instant game over. And of course there's the conceit that you are doing literally the exact same thing for every single uncharted world going to the same bunker and killing the same terrible enemies.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By vitor

@Brendan said:

I think it's crazy that seemingly everyone hated the Mako then, and seemingly everyone loves it now. You internet people are all nuts.

I loved it then and I love it now. Getting rid of it was one of my main issues with ME2 and 3. Now, if they'd at least added space combat...

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#62  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

The idea behind the Mako and planet landing was cool the execution was just flawed. I would have rather had them try and do it better then remove it completely in Mass Effect 2 and 3.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By vitor

@TheSouthernDandy said:

As somebody who loved the Mako when I first played the game and have recently played through again I think I'm qualified to tell you, you are so so wrong. Its awful. The controls are crap, the aiming crosshairs are useless, seriously I couldn't believe that I enjoyed it before. Its infuriating.

The turret doesn't pivot up or down but the main cannon is dead accurate. Just make sure you're not on an incline... Yeah, dumb design decision, but totally not an issue once you worked out the kinks.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Nottle

So my last 3 playthroughs I got out of the Mako for pretty much every fight so I could get more EXP. On the hardest difficulty no less. It was rediculous how many assault rifle shots some enemies took. Luckily adepts can just make enemies into ragdolls.

@ShaggE said:

^ Yup. The Mako was fine. It was the endless desert planets that I took issue with.

Yeah, if the Mako had more interesting things to shoot I'd be fine with it, maybe it could control less wonky and have better aiming.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By Jackel2072

Yeah i was a Mako fan. the Hammer Head wasn't bad either.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By Jost1

Glad to see the hate isn't universal. People always say "am I the only one who" but in this case I really thought I was one of the FEW who actually liked it

It just made the world feel more real.

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#67  Edited By Sergotron

Going threw and over mountains were annoying and painful.

The sequences where you going threw flat turane was awesome though. Driving threw that highway mowing my threw the Geth was fantastic.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

@Jost1:

....get eaten by a Thresher Maw. Oh yeah, good times.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EXTomar

Isn't a reoccurring "theme" to Mass Effect is that some game play elements end up iffy but Bioware hastily abandons them? The Mako is just a reflection of that. It wasn't all bad but there were some really poor parts to driving. That doesn't mean we hate driving but that we simply wanted better handling.

Frankly the Mako and planet scanning are both okay ideas for a game about interstellar exploration but the way Bioware implemented them was not great. Instead of trying to tweak and improve them, they junked them. The best situation would be including both: Sometimes you need to land and scope out the situation in the Mako while sometimes you can just scan the planet from orbit. They could have just tweaked how the driving handled and how scanning worked and covered a lot of the elements of exploring (an element of 4X) but it wasn't bothered with.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By Pinworm45

The mako was pretty shit. My biggest issue though was that they introduced the hammerhead DLC, and that thing was fucking awesome. It controlled perfectly, it was fun to use, the only problem with it was most of its missions (aside from the one big one that was like a smallish open world) were prototypes. I was expecting it to be expanded upon in ME3, especially when someone immediately mentions the Hammerhead in the shuttle bay on the Normandy. I was pretty disappointed about that, it had a lot of potential. Another area that they were rushed in and unable to fulfil upon, I guess.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dillonwerner

I loved the Mako so much, despite the countless times I fell off cliffs due to its bad handling.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By huntad

Yeah, everyone's constant complaining ruined it. Now we have planet scanning...yay...

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By dagas

I never had as much problem with it as people seemed to have, but then I never had much problem with ME1 in general. At least not until I played ME2, now It's hard to go back.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By sockemjetpack

It needed about double the active thrust time. Other than that and the annoying way the aiming worked when you're on a ridge I liked it a lot. I'm actually farting around in the first game right now and using the Mako really made the galaxy feel like a bigger place. If it ever came back I wouldn't be sad about it.

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Poki3

I'll just stick with the M-29 Grizzly.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By phantomzxro

I liked it and wish they keep it and just refined it a bit. Take some part of the firewalker DLC and combine the two and i think it would have been cool.

C_Cage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By C_Cage

I hated the mako I went into mass effect 3 not expecting planet scanning but hammerhead based missions instead. I was entirely disappointed when cortez started giving me some lame excuse as to why it wasn't there.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By Green_Incarnate

It was better than mining in 2.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By Liquidus

The Mako was kinda annoying but not terrible, now the barren wastelands of planets that you drive around on are the real issue.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Brendan said:

Yeah, this is ridiculous.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#81  Edited By StarvingGamer

Mako sucked. Especially whenever you were trying to navigate a really mountainous planet. Worst time sink in any game of the series.

Story Mako sections were almost tolerable except the thing handled worse than RE1.

Fuck the Mako.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TomA

Controls were a tad annoying at times, but overall I loved the thing. Long live Mass Effect 1!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Actually using the Mako and exploring planets was great.. But yeah, there was literally nothing on any of the planets, except the same copy and pasted warehouse and annoying enemy mobs. If you're a completionist, it was one of the most tedious things ever.

It's something I would have liked to see them try and improve upon though, rather than just axe.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The game needed to improve its exploration (and Mako controls), not ditch it. I feel like this could be said about every mechanic in ME1 except sticky cover and pointing and shooting.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

The Mako was conceptually great and did a lot to expand the space of the game. It was a vital part of what made the game seem as if there was a whole universe out there to explore and be effected by your actions. Stumbling across the Rachni singing while on the far reaches of Luna was such a mysterious and incredible experience (that also filled me with dread and had me wondering if perhaps I shouldn't have let them live) that was only an easter egg but a vital one. It was the little details that populated the worlds that filled them.

It, however, played like shit and and unfortunately there was rarely anything tying those details together. It was definitely missed by me, but the execution was largely awful. I really wish they had figured out a way to make it work, however.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Dallas_Raines

No, the mako was terrible, as were most sidequests in the first Mass Effect.

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By StalkingTurnip

I played Mass Effect 1 last week and I thought it was bullshit. It controlled like a drunken bunny rabbit more than a car. The environments you explored were completely vacant of anything interesting. It felt like they were just thrown in to make the mission longer than actually be fun. I do wish they fixed the actual problems with it rather than just scrapping it for good

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Cataphract1014

The aspect of exploring and landing on planets is good in theory, but the fucking Mako itself was a piece of fucking shit.

heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By heavyplay

Creep out. Fire your cannon. Creep back behind a mountain and wait for your shield recharge. Do this a billion times. No thanks.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#90  Edited By hinderk

I actually liked the mako sections, though that might be because I played the pc version which seemed to have better mako controls.

Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Natesaint

On the 360 the controls were not the best, but it is easily overlooked. The planet design and sense of investigating a planet whose only inhabitants were its' secrets was awesome. Some people may not enjoy a desolate planet where you can only hear the wind blowing across the fallow plains, but dammit I did. Plus it was more realistic, there are far more desolate planets in our galaxy than ones populated with intelligent life.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Sharpless

The worst thing about the Mako was the fact that you had to use it every time you wanted to explore a planet. If it was only used in one or two of the main quest sequences, then it would be fine. I don't have any interest in exploring a planet that is approximately 95% nothing interesting whatsoever. Ships have sensors. Let me fly straight to the action! (Which they obviously did, in ME2.)

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Natesaint said:

On the 360 the controls were not the best, but it is easily overlooked. The planet design and sense of investigating a planet whose only inhabitants were its' secrets was awesome. Some people may not enjoy a desolate planet where you can only hear the wind blowing across the fallow plains, but dammit I did. Plus it was more realistic, there are far more desolate planets in our galaxy than ones populated with intelligent life.

There was nothing realistic about the way that fucking thing drove.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#94  Edited By JasonR86

At the very least every ME game should have had vehicle sections. It was a great way to mix up the gameplay formula. What I liked about the Mako was that it allowed for free-form exploration. I was given an area, a map, and the opportunity to just drive around and do whatever I wanted. Plus jumping off of a huge mountain with the Mako and messing around with the jet-propulsion under the vehicle was a lot of fun.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By selbie

Like people have said, it wasn't so much the Mako that was the problem, but the endless cookie-cutter planets with huge maps to drive around in. They should have condensed the maps down to smaller areas and made them look more diverse. The whole scanning system should have been performed by the Mako at surface level. That way there would be an active method to find the items / resources without having it on your map from the start.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#96  Edited By benspyda

It was no worse than mining or reaper pacman. So essentially all the extra planet stuff was kinda bad.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Pinworm45

@benspyda said:

It was no worse than mining or reaper pacman. So essentially all the extra planet stuff was kinda bad.

Except for the Hammerhead stuff. That actually had potential. I don't know why people don't talk about it or why they ditched it for ME3 after releasing it as a prototype in ME2 DLC. Its even referenced right off the bat by someone in your shuttle bay, as if they intended to utilize it. No time I guess.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Slaker117

The Mako and planet exploration were both flawed, but I liked them. I wish they would have improved those aspects instead of cutting them outright, though I can understand why they did.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Harkat

The problem wasn't the Mako, it was the drab planets.

oblique_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By oblique_

I liked the Mako when Mass Effect first came out. On subsequent playthroughs Mako sequences have seemed incredibly tedious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.