Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Shadow Broker's effect on ME3 (Spoilers)

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

With the conversation about the Shadow Broker DLC in the Game of the Year 2010 podcast I'm curious how you guys think Shadow Broker will effect Mass Effect 3. 

My theory is that Liara replaces the Illusive Man and will give you information on what to do. I say this because depending on how your ending went you could stick it to the Illusive Man and quit Cerberus. Doing this leaves Shepard without help from Cerberus, The Alliance, and the Council making Liara the only person who can help Shepard.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dtat
    @wasteguru: As long as I get to bone her who cares?! 

But in all seriousness, I'm not really sure. I have a nagging suspicion it will only be mentioned in a way that isn't very significant, but I hope I'm wrong. I think your idea would be pretty cool, although I think it might be cooler to have her take a role that isn't quite so central. Maybe giving you a series of side missions starting with one important main line quest.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By General_D23

As of Shadow Broker, I do think Shepard is taking steps to become his own person. I think that theme will likely continue for the rest of the DLC, but I suppose that's beside the point here.

By ME3, I want Shepard to be his own boss. For the past two games, he's been an agent of the Alliance, Council, or Cerberus. Liara is less likely to be giving orders or working with him so much as working under him. So that basically leaves the galaxy's most thorough and advanced information network at Shepard's fingertips. I hope the trend of that continues, maybe future DLCs set between ME2 and ME3 showing him getting his own private army and resources, but I suppose those also came, to a degree, with the Shadow Broker's network.

Anyway, that's where I see Shepard for ME3. No longer a marine, a SPECTRE, or an agent doing dirt for Cerberus or whoever. I think that him being a free agent would more likely help with the whole "unite the galaxy" thing, too.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think that it has to play a larger role in ME3. The role of the Shadow Broker is a huge one in that universe, and if they just ignored that, then I think we'd be missing out on a potentially great side-story.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ErrorOperator
    @wasteguru:  Quitting Cerberus would not cut him off from the Alliance or the Council, he is still a spectre and so represesnts the council.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60
    @ErrorOperator said:
    " @wasteguru:  Quitting Cerberus would not cut him off from the Alliance or the Council, he is still a spectre and so represesnts the council. "
    Not everybodys character will be a spectre. When you died you were no longer a spectre, and when you meet with the council, you can tell them to shove it, or you can tell them to reinstate your spectre status.
    ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ErrorOperator
    @CL60: Oh is this true, I assumed that you didnt have a choice and had to become a spectre again, much like the first game!
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Garrus

I was talking with somebody about this for a while the other day.

He asked me a question since he'd just bought the Liara DLC and said to me "What will happen to players who bought the DLC and those who didn't? Will they have different scenes or talks with Liara in the third game?"

And I thought, interesting point, maybe if we do see Liara in ME3 she may tell you she went alone and took on the Shadow Broker or she just may not bring it up. Though for anyone who did play the second without the DLC it is evident that she did have intention to take him down and fit his body into a coffee cup.

As a result of the confusion I think either Liara will be a recon from a distance or basically in communication with you (possibly Hitman 2 style Agency story? You do a contract for us, we give you the info you need for your friend's kidnapping location?) or she won't even play that big a part like me and some people are suspecting. Either that or she'll just the shadow broker regardless and Bioware will say, well. Read our comics please. Which I know the incoming comics are about the Illusive Man but I think that there might be something in there to hint about Liara's new position. I don't know anymore *head explodes while trying to comprehend*   

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I think that the Shadow Broker story is so important to the overall ME story that it can't not be mentioned in Mass Effect 3. If people come into ME3 without playing it, I think Bioware will just make it 'canon' either way and tell the player that Liara eventually took down the Shadow Broker and inherited the position, and is now capable of aiding Shepard through that - and then if you did play, it would be similar dialogue, but rather than 'I took down the Shadow Broker', it would be 'We took down the Shadow Broker' or something similar. Otherwise people who hadn't played it might think 'Oh hang on, Character X is back for this, why can't I get Liara to join me, she's only on Illium!'. 

And I agree with people saying that Liara will work for Shepard, rather than as his or her boss. I think going into the third game, especially if Shepard took the paragon decision at the end of 2 to sever his ties with The Illusive Man, Shep will be more of their own person, gathering the support of The Alliance and other species to combat the Reapers. It'll be Shepard making the decisions, rather than someone giving him a mission, I think.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By napalm

If you saved the Collector ship, Shepard still basically tells the Illusive Man to shove it, so I think he'll end up going renegade on Cerberus regardless. I always thought it was weird to actually defeat the Shadow Broker in a DLC for Mass Effect 2. What occurs is something so pivotal, I almost assumed they were going to do the whole, "your princess is in another castle," but still find a way to give you important intel and still advance the plot regardless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.