Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Shepard's Renegade Scars.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I knew I shouldn't have drank that ''mystery drink'' on Ilium!
    I knew I shouldn't have drank that ''mystery drink'' on Ilium!

Not all that much of a focal point of the game, but having Shepard potentially resemble a Terminator on steds was a really neat addition to separating the Paragon/Renegade paths. It also got me thinking how this'll work in ME3. For starters, will your scars cross over should you of left Shepard with them instead of getting them healed? And can they actually resurface, should you yet again go through ME3 punching reporters in the face?

Maybe they could implement a whole system to physically show Shepard's overall antagonistic nature, or they could just scrap it all together.

I suppose this is connected to just how they'll set up you being able to once again customise your imported Shepard, should you even be given the chance. I'd most likely guess it'll be its own slider in how messed up Shepard's scars'll be, but it's just a theory.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this and how would you fine folks like the paragon/renegade physical manifestation be handled this time around?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Chris2KLee

He should be like Vader by the time you reach the end of ME3, just wearing a life support suit at all times as the physical manifestation of all his evil deeds eat him from the inside.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " He should be like Vader by the time you reach the end of ME3, just wearing a life support suit at all times as the physical manifestation of all his evil deeds eat him from the inside. "
    Or he should totally become the Galaxies first human Reaper. That's possibly why it all happens, since the technology used to rebuild him/her during ME2 was supposedly Reaper tech. Your Darth Vader I could easily get behind, though. ;P
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

I think they'll scrap it or make it a cosmetic thing you can choose at the beginning.  It didn't seem like a well liked thing, and they kind of already guessed that people would hate it since they put a "fix my ugly face" thing in the game for the renegaders. 

I can't say I'd miss it.  It felt really contrived, and I don't think Mass Effect really needs anything like that.  The whole point of paragon vs. renegade is to be morally gray.  Leave the comically over the top demon horns and halos for Fable.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

I went the vain approach and paid the huge sum to get my face fixed. I was an undercover asshole.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Afroman269:  Don't sell yourself short.  Asshole Shepard still has to save the world, right?  He needs a face that doesn't scare young children.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee
    @EvilTwin said:
    " I think they'll scrap it or make it a cosmetic thing you can choose at the beginning.  It didn't seem like a well liked thing, and they kind of already guessed that people would hate it since they put a "fix my ugly face" thing in the game for the renegaders.   I can't say I'd miss it.  It felt really contrived, and I don't think Mass Effect really needs anything like that.  The whole point of paragon vs. renegade is to be morally gray.  Leave the comically over the top demon horns and halos for Fable. "
    That's what I was thinking at first, but looking at this picture now does give me the suspicion that it'll may just signify something pretty fucked up is happening to Shepard, again with my 'Shepard becoming a human reaper' thang; but then there's the prospect of having them healed, which shoots that down pretty swiftly. 

It didn't fit in so well when virtually no-one even paid it any attention, either. I'd be more willing to accept it if it could actually affect how people would respond to you, but since everyone seems pretty content with a Terminator walking around, then it is narrowed down as nothing more than a silly load of silliness.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Afroman269
    @Abyssfull: Him turning into a reaper would be silly. Even if they went ahead and mentioned that the tech behind his revival was reaper tech, it would feel kinda forced that they added this plot element just to add this Fable thing of turning Shepard into a monster or savior. I think the cosmetic approach will be the one that makes the most sense. Only other thing that would make sense for him to "change" is if he was infected by something during ME 3 which I think would be kinda ehh.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @Abyssfull: Him turning into a reaper would be silly. Even if they went ahead and mentioned that the tech behind his revival was reaper tech, it would feel kinda forced that they added this plot element just to add this Fable thing of turning Shepard into a monster or savior. I think the cosmetic approach will be the one that makes the most sense. "
    It would be pretty silly yes but... 

When it comes to Reapers, the silly meter has no limits!! A LIMITLESS SILLY METER!
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Afroman269
    @Abyssfull: You got me there, but that was the one stupid point for that whole story. No need to add more.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

I sure hope that they don't go the "Shepard turns into Reaper" route.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

The terminator face was always what held me back from doing the renegade path.  It was one of the few silly things in what was generally a cohesive and well put together world.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

I loved it, By the end of making bad Decisions in ME3 I want Two-Face style half human/ half cyborg.  

I would also accept half Nic Cage/John Travolta. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @Abyssfull: You got me there, but that was the one stupid point for that whole story. No need to add more. "
    I just remembered about how Sovereign was able to take control of Saren at the end of Mass Effect, as well, no doubt because of those ''implants'' the Reapers installed. If it does out that Shepard was built through Reaper tech, then it may very not be entirely out of the realm of possibility. 

It would be kind of ridiculous, but I imagine it affecting the story similar to how nearing the end of the original KOTOR, your evil ways would force you to turn on like 2/3's of your own team. It'd be a really cool alternative, I think, if bordering on B-movie absurdity. Again, though, the fact that you can heal those scars pretty much goes against my own ''Sith Lord Shepard'' fantasies, so don't think you got too much to worry about.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    " He should be like Vader by the time you reach the end of ME3, just wearing a life support suit at all times as the physical manifestation of all his evil deeds eat him from the inside. "
    Or he should totally become the Galaxies first human Reaper. That's possibly why it all happens, since the technology used to rebuild him/her during ME2 was supposedly Reaper tech. Your Darth Vader I could easily get behind, though. ;P "
    It would be awesome if Shepard can sellout the human race at the end, I would totally play another renegade game for that!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

When I saw the scars and the red eyes, I was expecting the full Renegade to be the face falling off and just being a robotic skull underneath with that being some kind of twist in so much as good Shepard is the man we knew back from the grave but heel Shep was a robot programmed by the Illusive Man to do his bidding.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " When I saw the scars and the red eyes, I was expecting the full Renegade to be the face falling off and just being a robotic skull underneath with that being some kind of twist in so much as good Shepard is the man we knew back from the grave but heel Shep was a robot programmed by the Illusive Man to do his bidding. "

You're mocking me, aren't you?
     You're mocking me, aren't you?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Abyssfull: No. When I saw the red eyes, I kept pushing Renegade just to see if I was right and that the face would turn into the full Terminator skull. The Illusive Man robot stuff is fanfiction I've only thought about recently. 

EDIT: And don't act like the cyborg idea makes less sense than fully regenerating a man who burned up, crashing out of space.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Dany

It would be a cool degregation of hte renegade character to have shepard be the enemies he has been fighting

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Abyssfull: No. When I saw the red eyes, I kept pushing Renegade just to see if I was right and that the face would turn into the full Terminator skull. The Illusive Man robot stuff is fanfiction I've only thought about recently.  EDIT: And don't act like the cyborg idea makes less sense than fully regenerating a man who burned up, crashing out of space. "
    Oh I'm not against the Cyborg idea. My own theories to Shepard potentially becoming the first true Human/Reaper hybrid certifies my allegiance with ze robots. In your original post, though, and how it all kinda strung in one long sentence really reeked of sarcasm to me, though ;P
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    " @Abyssfull: Him turning into a reaper would be silly. Even if they went ahead and mentioned that the tech behind his revival was reaper tech, it would feel kinda forced that they added this plot element just to add this Fable thing of turning Shepard into a monster or savior. I think the cosmetic approach will be the one that makes the most sense. "
    It would be pretty silly yes but... 

When it comes to Reapers, the silly meter has no limits!! A LIMITLESS SILLY METER! "
    I don't get why people don't like that. It seemed like a pretty awesome twist to me.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By easthill

Would like the beginning of ME3 to be Shepard waking up on the Normandy, on his/her way to the Omega 4 relay - then you find out the whole fucking end to ME2 was just a dream and you get the play it over again - properly.

If they are going to keep the scars for renegade they might as well add a halo for paragon, I don't like my choices affecting how I look. Hated it in KOTOR, hated it in ME2.  

Hated the whole paragon/renegade meter in ME2 to be honest - it pretty much locked you in one path if you wanted to be able to pass the later speech checks, thus making the choice rather non-choicey. Would like them to return to the ME1 approach with you actively putting skill points into persuade/intimidate if you want to make a preachy Shepard - then you can choose what you want, rather than blue or red.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @LiquidPrince: It was, but the Terminator Reaper was tame in comparison to what they originally had in mind - which was a giant, developing foetus. That would've been one hell of a creepy final boss, if the artbook that came with ME2 Collectors Edition is to be believed. 

@Abyssfull:   The problem with your idea is that Renegade means evil. It doesn't. There's Good Cop and there's Bad Cop. Shepard is still a human being out to save the universe, and a lot of who he is has been fixed. Where the player gets to play around is with Shepard's methods. He can be a virtuous paragon, a results-at-all-costs renegade, or somewhere in the middle. Even mentioning his "evil deeds" is a stretch, considering nothing Shepard does is inherently evil, or even partly evil. Every action he takes serves to advance his goals (saving the universe), but whether or not he's an asshole while doing it is up to the player. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee
    @KingWilly:  
    Evil, no, but the violence is still very apparent when going full on Renegade, which could be the catalyst for the Reaper influence's growth. And with my lil fan-fiction theory of Shepard potentially becoming a human reaper, it's got nothing to do with Shepard's goals of course, as like I mentioned, the supposed Reaper Tech would begin to 'change' Shepard, similar to Saren at the very end of Mass Effect except Shepard won't be dead. Or maybe it would actually kill him, and then it would revive him as a Reaper General or what have you.

And yes, it sounds all the more stupid the more indepth I explain it all, because it is stupid, I admit, but that's the fun of speculation ;P
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The scars were still healing, logic will tell me that by ME3 they would have healed.
    Bioware probably has new idea for Paragon/Renegade, would be a shame to go Terminator Shep again.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Actually, I thought the whole face scar thing was kinda stupid, contrived, and pointless. Sort of like they were copying the Fable style of "being evil makes you ugly." At least they let you heal them (for 50,000 platinum, which was ridiculous). 

So I'm hoping the scars are not back in ME3. But, on the other hand, I'm going to be playing paragon (at least on my first playthrough), so it doesn't affect me much. 

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Abyssfull: The first thing I did was pay to get those scars removed.  I was only a little bit Renegade, so seeing random orange spots on my custom Shep's face was really annoying. 

If anything, they'd be more likely to point out the similarities between Shepard and the Geth, in that he's "more machine now than man".  The Reaper thing doesn't seem to fit, but I'm betting if you can recruit the Geth to fight the Reapers in ME3, the argument that you're "more than a  man" will come in to play.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MeierTheRed

The whole terminator look in ME2 was dumb as hell, men while if you go paragon nothing happens at all. At least KOTOR made it make sense, cause the force altered you, but in Mass Effect its just stupid.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LightRain
    @EvilTwin said:
    " I think they'll scrap it or make it a cosmetic thing you can choose at the beginning.  It didn't seem like a well liked thing, and they kind of already guessed that people would hate it since they put a "fix my ugly face" thing in the game for the renegaders.   I can't say I'd miss it.  It felt really contrived, and I don't think Mass Effect really needs anything like that.  The whole point of paragon vs. renegade is to be morally gray.  Leave the comically over the top demon horns and halos for Fable. "
    This please.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The new Mass Effect novel talks about the Illusive Man putting Reaper tech into Paul Grayson.

Also, I wouldn't expect the crew to be scared by Shepard's face being all scarred if they aren't scarred by what Shepard does in order to make her face that scarred.  If you had played that entire game Renegade, then they can tell by your actions that you're not a lady to be messed with.

Personally, I went about 70% Renegade, because I wanted the scars of a woman pushed to the depths of morality in order to get the mission done, but still wanted enough Paragon to treat the innocent well, and to not have ugly red eyes.  Shepard has red hair and green eyes, and I dig it.  And in Mass Effect 1, I gave her a scar just below her eye, so that she looked like she'd been through the shit before and made it through alive.

Look at Garrus.  Would you heal Garrus' face?  Fuck no, Garrus' scars make him look like the hardass cowboy cop he is.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Yummylee
    @Brodehouse said:
    "  Also, I wouldn't expect the crew to be scared by Shepard's face being all scarred if they aren't scarred by what Shepard does in order to make her face that scarred.  If you had played that entire game Renegade, then they can tell by your actions that you're not a lady to be messed with. "
    It's still pretty weird why no one would comment on it period. Not like Shepard started out looking he's here to gun down Sarah Connor Senior, after all, and even though they are aware of Shepard being a complete prick, that doesn't mean that one day when s/he strolls through the Normandy with demon eyes it isn't something to take note of. I remember in KOTOR 2 how your party members would comment on your altered appearance, whether you went on the light or dark side.  

And while this comment would allude otherwise, I still am on the side of thinking the scarring was a neat feature, and as such just wish it had more acknowledgement.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

If I had known the scars would be that amazing, I would've gone all the way Renegade.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#33  Edited By Superharman

I hated the idea of the scars. It just made the renegade path generic evil like the Dark Side in KOTOR. This wasn't all that reflective of the renegade path in Mass Effect.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Shepard is now a god to the Geth. He purged the sinful heretics who worshiped the Reapers, and now he is come among them to lead the way to a new world, one where machine and flesh exist in harmony.  

... So I guess that makes him Lore? Since the geth are doing that 'one of many' thing already...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.