Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Thoughts on Mass Effect 3

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Edited By PerryVandell

Ah… It’s that time of year again. The holiday sales are over, irritatingly cheery Christmas songs are replaced by vapid elevator music at department stores, and people make New Year’s resolutions they promise themselves to keep, even though it’s the exact resolution they made last year. Normally these resolutions consist of improving one’s self, whether it be losing a few pounds or getting that damn promotion that continues to elude your grasp. Unfortunately my resolution more closely relates to self-detriment, as I have decided to complete Mass Effect 2 on insanity. Consequently, many of my nights now consist of muffled obscenities and asking a TV screen why it hates me. It’s not all bad though, as the frequent loading screens have given me plenty of time to think about what I would like to see in the next Mass Effect, and here’s a list of what I have come up with so far:

Improved Partner AI

One thing playing Mass Effect 2 on insanity has done is put a magnifying glass over the flaws of your partner’s AI. The problems weren’t obvious on lower difficulties, as I could normally clear a room of enemies with little assistance. However on insanity, I need to rely on my companions to a certain extent which wouldn’t be a problem if they didn’t die a minute into battle. I understand the difficulty “insanity” is meant to be hard, but my companions shouldn’t be crouching on top of cover no matter the difficulty setting. To be fair, most of the time my companions take cover and follow orders, consequently saving my ass on more than one occasion. It would just be nice if they didn’t run through a group of Krogan warlords when I order them to regroup.

Bring Back the Loot

If you played the first Mass Effect, chances are you can recall spending hours sifting through a broken inventory system to find items you just picked up. It was a pain—a pain that Bioware “solved” by replacing the many guns and armor sets from the first game with only a handful in the second. You no longer have to spend time scrolling through your inventory because there is no inventory . While the inventory system may have been garbage in the first game, you still had the option of customizing your weapons and armor to your unique playing style. If you liked to run into battle guns blazing, then you could outfit your armor with extra shielding to compensate. If your assault rifle overheated too quickly, you could equip it with an attachment that would decrease the amount of heat it would produce.   

The inventory system still gives me nightmares

In most RPG’s, part of the fun is finding better equipment to improve your character—something that is missing in Mass Effect 2. So what’s the solution? Well for one, make an organized, navigable inventory system that allows the player to find exactly they want within seconds. If a player wants to equip a squad member with an improved set of armor, don’t include the armor of a different species in the list. Color code weapons and armor to give the player an idea of what is good or bad without having to read all of the stats. Add sorting options so players can look through items based on different stats. Having a large inventory is fine as long as the player has the tools to manage it effectively.

Add a Psychological Profile Mission

What I mean by a “Psychological Profile Mission” is have a mission based on your Shepard’s Psychological profile that you chose in either the first or second Mass Effect. For example, if you picked the “Sole Survivor” psych profile, then there would be a mission where Shepard revisits Akuze and reflects on what happened. The memory would be playable and you would fight alongside your fellow marines as they get wiped out by thresher maws. Or if you chose the “War Hero” profile, Shepard could revisit the events on Elysium where you fight against Batarian slavers with barely any support. Playing out the missions described in Shepard’s psych profile would give the player a chance to witness firsthand how Shepard became the hero of the galaxy and the bane of the reapers.

Have Shepard Recruit Entire Species

In Mass Effect 2, Shepard spent most of his time recruiting elite individuals to help him stop the collectors. In the next game, it would be neat if Shepard had to convince the Humans, Turians, Asari, Salarians, Krogan, Quarian, and possibly Geth to group together and fight the reapers under a single banner. With all the racial turmoil that is prevalent in the Mass Effect universe, there would be problems that Shepard and his crew would have to solve in order to convince the various species to join his cause. Past actions would also play a crucial role when asking for aid. For example, if you killed Wrex in Mass Effect 1, the Krogan would be much harder to bring to your side. Each mission would involve you traveling to that species’ home world. You would witness firsthand, the differences in that species’ government, military, religion, architecture, etc. that have so far only been described in the codex. I could go on and on about my ideas regarding Mass Effect 3’s story and overall mission structure, but that would turn this blog into a giant fan fiction and nobody wants to see that. Moving on.

Make it Obvious When Squad Members Want to Talk

One of the most frustrating parts of Mass Effect 2 is jogging across the Normandy to talk to your squad mates to see if they have something new to say, only to hear “I’m not interested in talking, come back later”. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that your squad is split up all across the ship, ensuring that you visit every fucking room aboard the Normandy if you want to be sure you’re up to date with everyone aboard. Again, this is a huge pain that can be easily fixed by making it painfully obvious when a squad

Liar.
     Liar.

member has something new to say. At first, I praised Bioware when Kelly Chambers said she would inform me if team members wished to speak with me. I thought, “Yes! I don’t have to scour this ship that’s twice as big as the first Normandy to see if people want to talk.” However it soon became apparent that Ms. Chambers would only do this if my squad members wanted to talk about loyalty missions. If a squad member failed to utter the words “loyalty” and “mission” Kelly would conveniently forget to tell me someone had something new to say. I appreciated her feeding my fish, but it would be nice if in Mass Effect 3 she did her damn job.  

Even with all of my aforementioned gripes, I still think Mass Effect 2 is the greatest game of 2010 and one of Bioware’s top achievements. It has a cinematic element many games don’t even come close to achieving, and contains one of the most well-developed universes that I have ever seen. If some of the things I’ve mentioned above are fixed or addressed, I have no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be one of Bioware’s greatest games yet.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PerryVandell

Ah… It’s that time of year again. The holiday sales are over, irritatingly cheery Christmas songs are replaced by vapid elevator music at department stores, and people make New Year’s resolutions they promise themselves to keep, even though it’s the exact resolution they made last year. Normally these resolutions consist of improving one’s self, whether it be losing a few pounds or getting that damn promotion that continues to elude your grasp. Unfortunately my resolution more closely relates to self-detriment, as I have decided to complete Mass Effect 2 on insanity. Consequently, many of my nights now consist of muffled obscenities and asking a TV screen why it hates me. It’s not all bad though, as the frequent loading screens have given me plenty of time to think about what I would like to see in the next Mass Effect, and here’s a list of what I have come up with so far:

Improved Partner AI

One thing playing Mass Effect 2 on insanity has done is put a magnifying glass over the flaws of your partner’s AI. The problems weren’t obvious on lower difficulties, as I could normally clear a room of enemies with little assistance. However on insanity, I need to rely on my companions to a certain extent which wouldn’t be a problem if they didn’t die a minute into battle. I understand the difficulty “insanity” is meant to be hard, but my companions shouldn’t be crouching on top of cover no matter the difficulty setting. To be fair, most of the time my companions take cover and follow orders, consequently saving my ass on more than one occasion. It would just be nice if they didn’t run through a group of Krogan warlords when I order them to regroup.

Bring Back the Loot

If you played the first Mass Effect, chances are you can recall spending hours sifting through a broken inventory system to find items you just picked up. It was a pain—a pain that Bioware “solved” by replacing the many guns and armor sets from the first game with only a handful in the second. You no longer have to spend time scrolling through your inventory because there is no inventory . While the inventory system may have been garbage in the first game, you still had the option of customizing your weapons and armor to your unique playing style. If you liked to run into battle guns blazing, then you could outfit your armor with extra shielding to compensate. If your assault rifle overheated too quickly, you could equip it with an attachment that would decrease the amount of heat it would produce.   

In most RPG’s, part of the fun is finding better equipment to improve your character—something that is missing in Mass Effect 2. So what’s the solution? Well for one, make an organized, navigable inventory system that allows the player to find exactly they want within seconds. If a player wants to equip a squad member with an improved set of armor, don’t include the armor of a different species in the list. Color code weapons and armor to give the player an idea of what is good or bad without having to read all of the stats. Add sorting options so players can look through items based on different stats. Having a large inventory is fine as long as the player has the tools to manage it effectively.

Add a Psychological Profile Mission

What I mean by a “Psychological Profile Mission” is have a mission based on your Shepard’s Psychological profile that you chose in either the first or second Mass Effect. For example, if you picked the “Sole Survivor” psych profile, then there would be a mission where Shepard revisits Akuze and reflects on what happened. The memory would be playable and you would fight alongside your fellow marines as they get wiped out by thresher maws. Or if you chose the “War Hero” profile, Shepard could revisit the events on Elysium where you fight against Batarian slavers with barely any support. Playing out the missions described in Shepard’s psych profile would give the player a chance to witness firsthand how Shepard became the hero of the galaxy and the bane of the reapers.

Have Shepard Recruit Entire Species

In Mass Effect 2, Shepard spent most of his time recruiting elite individuals to help him stop the collectors. In the next game, it would be neat if Shepard had to convince the Humans, Turians, Asari, Salarians, Krogan, Quarian, and possibly Geth to group together and fight the reapers under a single banner. With all the racial turmoil that is prevalent in the Mass Effect universe, there would be problems that Shepard and his crew would have to solve in order to convince the various species to join his cause. Past actions would also play a crucial role when asking for aid. For example, if you killed Wrex in Mass Effect 1, the Krogan would be much harder to bring to your side. Each mission would involve you traveling to that species’ home world. You would witness firsthand, the differences in that species’ government, military, religion, architecture, etc. that have so far only been described in the codex. I could go on and on about my ideas regarding Mass Effect 3’s story and overall mission structure, but that would turn this blog into a giant fan fiction and nobody wants to see that. Moving on.

Make it Obvious When Squad Members Want to Talk

One of the most frustrating parts of Mass Effect 2 is jogging across the Normandy to talk to your squad mates to see if they have something new to say, only to hear “I’m not interested in talking, come back later”. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that your squad is split up all across the ship, ensuring that you visit every fucking room aboard the Normandy if you want to be sure you’re up to date with everyone aboard. Again, this is a huge pain that can be easily fixed by making it painfully obvious when a squad

Liar.
     Liar.

member has something new to say. At first, I praised Bioware when Kelly Chambers said she would inform me if team members wished to speak with me. I thought, “Yes! I don’t have to scour this ship that’s twice as big as the first Normandy to see if people want to talk.” However it soon became apparent that Ms. Chambers would only do this if my squad members wanted to talk about loyalty missions. If a squad member failed to utter the words “loyalty” and “mission” Kelly would conveniently forget to tell me someone had something new to say. I appreciated her feeding my fish, but it would be nice if in Mass Effect 3 she did her damn job.  

Even with all of my aforementioned gripes, I still think Mass Effect 2 is the greatest game of 2010 and one of Bioware’s top achievements. It has a cinematic element many games don’t even come close to achieving, and contains one of the most well-developed universes that I have ever seen. If some of the things I’ve mentioned above are fixed or addressed, I have no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be one of Bioware’s greatest games yet.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

Great read and I love the idea of playing through Shepard's psych-profile. It's referenced several times throughout the games but we don't know THAT much about Shepard before the events of Mass Effect - it'd be great to get to explore that.
    I see that most theories about Mass Effect 3 revolve around recruiting entire species to ally against the Reapers - am I the only one who thinks that would be kind of lame? It just makes me think of Dragon Age...in space. Granted, if they can do something really interesting with it I'd love to see it and am willing to give it a chance, but I'll honestly be rather disappointed if it's just really similar Dragon Age plot mechanics.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaneDev

I would hope this is the checklist that Bioware would be using especially on the AI front. However the p sych mission was already done in ME1 and I think revisiting it again would perhaps focus too much on events that the player had no direct control over, saying that though their inclusion  in ME2 was pointless as it didn't  seem to effect anything at all. The loot is interesting to me because  the way it was implemented in ME2 wasn't  that bad. I didn't  miss the old system or the huge amount of crap you would pick  up along the way but the real lack of a decent gear in ME2 was a problem highlighted by the amount of gear that was made as promotion only. Now the promotion stuff didn't  look great but Cerberus  network stuff they added later was also bad as you couldn't  take the helmets  off. 

Another thing to change is the Cerberus network which was awful, none of it was of a good quality and while it was free it felt like a disappointment for what it was talked up to be. 

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

My only real wish is related to the squad mates while on missions.

AI seriously need improvements. They screw up far too much in dumb situations. Not even mentioning the bright ideas of taking cover on top of the covers!
    Also they need more dialogues when outside the ship. Unless it revolved around their loyalty mission, they were more or less mutes who cracked a comment on rare occasions. Need more!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, I kind of have mixed feelings about the inventory. On the one hand, I was very displeased at the lack of loot, but on the other, I liked how you could only carry what Shepard could realistically carry. It's kind of ridiculous that Shepard could carry dozens of guns, mods, and armors. 

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By General_D23
    I didn't particularly care for the loot in ME1, but if they can clean up that inventory and maybe take a step back when throwing you stuff left and right, I wouldn't really mind its return, I guess.

Also, yes, a pysch profile mission does sound pretty interesting...maybe they could use that as an opener and maybe tie it in with editing your characters appearance/class or something like that?

@benjaebe said:
    " Great read and I love the idea of playing through Shepard's psych-profile. It's referenced several times throughout the games but we don't know THAT much about Shepard before the events of Mass Effect - it'd be great to get to explore that. I see that most theories about Mass Effect 3 revolve around recruiting entire species to ally against the Reapers - am I the only one who thinks that would be kind of lame? It just makes me think of Dragon Age...in space. Granted, if they can do something really interesting with it I'd love to see it and am willing to give it a chance, but I'll honestly be rather disappointed if it's just really similar Dragon Age plot mechanics. "

So long as they can make it interesting and exciting, I don't really care what template or formula they use for it.

For the record, I do think Dragon Age faltered when it came to making it all exciting and interesting in several areas, but that was mostly due to the pacing, I guess. Maybe that's why I don't really look at it as Dragon Age in space, since they have a chance to make Unite The Races more interesting. So long as they hit all the right notes in ME3, making everything interesting, exciting, and tie up all the loose threads, it won't really bother me. The only thing that has me worried is whether or not they can and will hit the right notes.

And, you know. It's not like this is a sudden development. Both ME1 and ME2 were setting this up, with giving you an ally in the Rachni potentially, and setting things up with the quarians, the geth, and the genophage in ME2.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PerryVandell
    @benjaebe: I see what you're getting at and in retrospect, the whole "Shepard recruits species" is rather similar to your missions in Dragon Age, but the Mass Effect universe is rich and varied enough to separate itself from Dragon Age, even if the mission structure is similar. Either way, I'm confident Bioware knows what their doing and will make Mass Effect 3 something truly special.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.