Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Will Mass Effect 3 have an exploration component?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

One of the things that I really enjoyed about the past two Mass Effect games was the sense of scope they gave the galaxy, whether it was through the (admittedly busted) MAKO exploration sections in the first game, or through scanning for anomalies and mining in ME2. Since it sounds like both of these features will be missing from Mass Effect 3, I was wondering if the devs have said anything about if/how exploration will play into the game. I understand that those slower, non story focused moments may not lend themselves well to the "defend earth" premise, but it would still be nice to have some sort of exploration component present.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dylabaloo

@FreakAche: Yes.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

@Dylabaloo: Could you elaborate?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

actually no, you don't even have access to the normandy anymore your home base is the citadel you can't go to any sidequest planets

Lost and Found

Dispatch 10 probes to retrieve people or resources in Reaper territory.

I'm guessing this is a mix of planet scanning and side quests, or simply a probe you send that finds people instead of minerals....who knows? Maybe it will be the exact same thing as in ME2 but every side mission is just to rescue people.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

@Vinny_Says said:

actually no, you don't even have access to the normandy anymore your home base is the citadel you can't go to any sidequest planets

Is this true? I really don't know if your joking.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

@Skytylz: He's joking. Or at least extremely wrong.

As for the OP question, I don't know, but I hope the Hammerhead makes a return. I know people hated the Mako, but I fucking loved the hammerhead.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrMuscle

Isnt it supposed to feel like you are under the knife here? Its urgent that you get the help of all the races so that you can defeat the Reapers. If you spend your time dilly dalling around mining for ore and doing side quests instead wont that kinda destroy the immersion? It will be interesting to see how they solve this.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By jetsetwillie

we don't know yet. you know as much as we do

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Of course it will. They wouldn't just cut one of the key features from the franchise, right? Right?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@MrMuscle said:

Isnt it supposed to feel like you are under the knife here? Its urgent that you get the help of all the races so that you can defeat the Reapers. If you spend your time dilly dalling around mining for ore and doing side quests instead wont that kinda destroy the immersion? It will be interesting to see how they solve this.

It's possible, but when you think about ME1 and ME2, or hell, even Dragon Age Origins, you can see a clear pattern of Bioware not giving a fuck and throwing a bunch of side content into the main game anyhow.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By isomeri

I really liked the Mako much more than the Hammerhead. Bouncing around planets in a cool 4x4 hit the spot for my astronaut dreams, but the Hammerhead just feels too remote. And I liked the mining in ME2 as well.

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Xakura

I might be in the minority here, but I infinitely prefered the mako over planet scanning. Gave some sense of the loneliness of remote installations, and how barren the majority of planets are.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@isomeri said:

I really liked the Mako much more than the Hammerhead. Bouncing around planets in a cool 4x4 hit the spot for my astronaut dreams, but the Hammerhead just feels too remote. And I liked the mining in ME2 as well.

Yeah, the Mako stuff was really fun (despite not being perfect) and gave the first game a fantastic sense of scope, especially with the ability to leave the Mako and walk the surface - it felt huge and I loved how badass it looked seeing my crew on the planet with the helmets. Where I disagree is with the ME2 substitute, the planet scanning. I found it to be extremely lame, not fun and tedious in comparison. The absensce of the Mako made ME2 feel really confined and more monotonous.

Unfortunately, the ME3 rescue minigame sounds closer to the planet scanning. Bioware said you have to navigate the Normandy across the map and look for ships/people in distress or something like that.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By WickedCobra03

@Xakura said:

I might be in the minority here, but I infinitely prefered the mako over planet scanning. Gave some sense of the loneliness of remote installations, and how barren the majority of planets are.

This.

I will fully admit that the mako van/bus was pretty janky, but like you said, it provided some scope and made it feel like the galaxy was truly very large and that we are only blips on the map as far as the secluded outposts and whatever. Yeah, they could have revamped that some how, but I really hope Bioware didn't go the other way and make a basically linear bro-shooter. :\

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By djaoni

No, it will not, and yeah, improved Mako would've been better than the idiotic planet scanning. Biowere went lazy and made Gears of War 5.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @djaoni said:

No, it will not, and yeah, improved Mako would've been better than the idiotic planet scanning. Biowere went lazy and made Gears of War 5.

What's Gears of War 4 then?
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jetsetwillie

@djaoni said:

but you see i hated the mako stuff. i thought it was no fun at all. but on the other hand you liked it.

so who should bioware please...

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CptBedlam

@Zenaxzd said:

@djaoni said:

Resident Evil 6?

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BRich

@djaoni said:

You are not playing on Insanity. This game is more like Dragon Age pc its paused in battle so often. And I loved Mass Effect 2 for how much strategy nearly every battle required to survive.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ObsideonDarman

I can't believe what I'm reading here. People actually fucking liked driving in the broken ass Mako?

The worst part of Mass Effect by far! It was cool in concept but it was so fucking broken.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By djaoni

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

but you see i hated the mako stuff. i thought it was no fun at all. but on the other hand you liked it.

Notice the "improved"? If they made planets interesting to explore(side quests, a lot of unique planets etc.) and Mako fun to drive(whatever that means for you) you can honestly say you would rather have a generic minigame only there to grind resources for upgrades?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CptBedlam

@BRich said:

@djaoni said:

You are not playing on Insanity. This game is more like Dragon Age pc its paused in battle so often. And I loved Mass Effect 2 for how much strategy nearly every battle required to survive.

When I played through the game on Insanity, it really became apparent to me how much of a corridor shooter ME2 had become and how structurally boring all of the level design was.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

@ObsideonDarman said:

I can't believe what I'm reading here. People actually fucking liked driving in the broken ass Mako?

The worst part of Mass Effect by far! It was cool in concept but it was so fucking broken.

I had hardly any problems with it. Driving around, jumping etc was really fun. The only drawback was that you couldn't aim down ... something that could've been easily fixed.

Because of the absence of the Mako/planet exploration, ME2 felt like a confined corridor shooter with a completely idiotic minigame.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jetsetwillie

@djaoni said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

Notice the "improved"? If they made planets interesting to explore(side quests, a lot of unique planets etc.) and Mako fun to drive(whatever that means for you) you can honestly say you would rather have a generic minigame only there to grind resources for upgrades?

i didn't think the mini-game was generic. but yeah a 'improved' mako section would be fun too.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hitchenson

@CptBedlam said:

The only drawback was that you couldn't aim down ... something that could've been easily fixed.

But you could totally ads with the Mako. So there's no drawbacks I guess.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CptBedlam

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

i didn't think the mini-game was generic. but yeah a 'improved' mako section would be fun too.

The planet scanning was, more importantly, completely devoid of fun. Moving a cursor across a ball until you find something.... really? That doesn't even sound fun in theory. Terrible game design.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@CptBedlam said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

The planet scanning was, more importantly, completely devoid of fun. Moving a cursor over a ball until you find something.... really? That doesn't even sound fun in theory. Terrible game design.

Fun? No. Relaxing? Hell yes.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By probablytuna

From Mass Effect Wikia:

"Exploration

Vehicle-based exploration will be closer to Mass Effect 2, where it didn't form part of the critical path. Casey Hudson had previously indicated that the vehicle exploration segment of the Mass Effect 2 DLC pack Overlord was an attempt at addressing issues players had with the exploration segments in the original Mass Effect, and lessons learned from its implementation could be used to implement similar segments in Mass Effect 3.

While Cristina Norman has noted that "nobody liked" the mining mechanic in Mass Effect 2 and Casey Hudson has stated that the mining part of the game will be changed, nevertheless the notion of exploring the galaxy in a non-linear fashion will be preserved."

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdGbwBcZWlM, Game Informer, May 2011, Issue 217

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptBedlam

@Oldirtybearon said:

@CptBedlam said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@djaoni said:

The planet scanning was, more importantly, completely devoid of fun. Moving a cursor over a ball until you find something.... really? That doesn't even sound fun in theory. Terrible game design.

Fun? No. Relaxing? Hell yes.

You call it relaxing, I call it boring.

When I think about it, I got slightly angry while doing this stupid shit over and over again.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jetsetwillie

@CptBedlam: i was the same with the terrible mako controls. not fun or relaxing just terrible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 137

@ObsideonDarman said:

I loved driving it off of the side of the highest mountains I could get it on top of to see if I could get it to blow up when it hit rock bottom.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CptBedlam

@jetsetwillie said:

@CptBedlam: i was the same with the terrible mako controls. not fun or relaxing just terrible

I had zero problems with the controls. It was just fun riding that thing across the hills, jumping from huge mountains etc.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jetsetwillie

@CptBedlam said:

@jetsetwillie said:

I had zero problems with the controls. It was just fun riding that thing across the hills, jumping from huge mountains etc.

well, as they say 'each to their own'. i hated it.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @CptBedlam said:

@Zenaxzd said:

@djaoni said:

Resident Evil 6?

Ohhhh, duh of course, silly me. 

Really though the demo alone has proven at least that the game has a more refined talent tree and leveling system from the first game as opposed to the gutted system from ME2, you know, unlike Gears of War. It's probably safe to say there is exploration as well.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Yes it does.

No Caption Provided
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Sooty

This happened to me when I was replaying Mass Effect, I got stuck and had to reload the game.

No Caption Provided

Fuck that shit.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By SteamPunkJin

@Skytylz said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Is this true? I really don't know if your joking.

No. You will have the Normandy again - you will also being using the Citadel as a home base of sorts. A Tweet from one of the Bioware guys said as the game goes on and more people are evacuating their home planets the Citadel will fill up more and more.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xyzygy

The mako was awesome. It wasn't broken. How was it broken? Because you tried to drive up a wall? It has a boost for a reason (softening landings, easing turns, negating gaps, etc). It has a learning curve but once you got a hang of the boost the Mako was awesome.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mutha3

@Sooty said:

This happened to me when I was replaying Mass Effect, I got stuck and had to reload the game.

No Caption Provided

Fuck that shit.

Yeah, I replayed Mass Effect 1 back in January.

That exact scenario happened in pretty much every single mission with the Mako. Also, the levels with Mako were iether:

A. way too goddamn long and tedious. Requiring you to go through a bunch of tubes for hours at a time(IE:main story missions)

B. A square map with some junk and combat haphazardly thrown in(IE: Sidequests)

Apparently, all you need to do to evoke a "sense of exploration"with some people is adding some pretty skyboxes.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FreakAche

@xyzygy said:

The mako was awesome. It wasn't broken. How was it broken?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CptBedlam

@mutha3: Never happened to me once. Also, these glitches are things that could've been fixed if they used it again in ME2 or 3.

And this is not about pretty skyboxes ... most of the linear ME2 environments had great skyboxes. It's about vast openness that creates a great feeling of scope. ME2 felt like a monotonous corridor-shooter because every fucking mission was the same structurally.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dylabaloo

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.