Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

You Will Have an Updated Mass Effect 3 Ending to Complain About Starting This Tuesday

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    Something something Indoctrination Theory something something.

When was the last time you actually heard anyone complain about Mass Effect 3's ending? A month ago? Two months ago? While the rage from various segments of the Internet over what was perceived to be everything from a mere cop-out to an out-and-out slaughtering of a fiction some people were apparently extremely invested in was hot and heavy at the outset, it's not a subject people have talked too much about in recent weeks. It almost makes you wonder if BioWare might have been better suited just, I don't know, maybe riding the heat wave out before eventually, quietly just moving onto something else?

Instead, BioWare decided to go with this "extended cut" DLC, which will launch for free on Xbox 360,PlayStation 3, and PC this Tuesday. This is the new-ish ending that will "expand upon the events at the end of Mass Effect 3" through "additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes." It will also "rekindle the burning fires of hatred throughout the Internet anew, as message board posters scramble to debate whether or not the new ending solves any of the perceived problems with the original, or just cocks up the works even worse than before." Okay, so BioWare didn't say that last part, but the subtext was there.

Not being too terribly invested in the adventures of Commander Shepard myself beyond a basic, casual enjoyment of the series, I've never quite understood the uproar over the ending. I mean, was it a great one? No, not really. Was it a bit careless, all things considered? Yeah, probably. Did it ruin any and all enjoyment I had of the series to date? Not really. But I'm not the sort to generally get too up-in-arms over these sorts of things, so I realize that my viewpoint may be skewed.

Still, I can't help but wonder exactly how much good this new ending will do. It's not a new ending, as many wanted, which basically just assures that the conversation which all but died a month or two ago is just going to get heated all over again. I guess we'll all see come this Tuesday.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

When was the last time you actually heard anyone complain about Mass Effect 3's ending? A month ago? Two months ago? While the rage from various segments of the Internet over what was perceived to be everything from a mere cop-out to an out-and-out slaughtering of a fiction some people were apparently extremely invested in was hot and heavy at the outset, it's not a subject people have talked too much about in recent weeks. It almost makes you wonder if BioWare might have been better suited just, I don't know, maybe riding the heat wave out before eventually, quietly just moving onto something else?

Instead, BioWare decided to go with this "extended cut" DLC, which will launch for free on Xbox 360,PlayStation 3, and PC this Tuesday. This is the new-ish ending that will "expand upon the events at the end of Mass Effect 3" through "additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes." It will also "rekindle the burning fires of hatred throughout the Internet anew, as message board posters scramble to debate whether or not the new ending solves any of the perceived problems with the original, or just cocks up the works even worse than before." Okay, so BioWare didn't say that last part, but the subtext was there.

Not being too terribly invested in the adventures of Commander Shepard myself beyond a basic, casual enjoyment of the series, I've never quite understood the uproar over the ending. I mean, was it a great one? No, not really. Was it a bit careless, all things considered? Yeah, probably. Did it ruin any and all enjoyment I had of the series to date? Not really. But I'm not the sort to generally get too up-in-arms over these sorts of things, so I realize that my viewpoint may be skewed.

Still, I can't help but wonder exactly how much good this new ending will do. It's not a new ending, as many wanted, which basically just assures that the conversation which all but died a month or two ago is just going to get heated all over again. I guess we'll all see come this Tuesday.

RoboJeebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By RoboJeebus

Cannot wait for this

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Jackhole

Awesome, more shit for the internet to complain about!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By YoThatLimp

I wonder if you will have to re-play all the ending combat? Because man, some of that sucked.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By YOUNGLINK

I will love it!!!!

Bubbameister33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bubbameister33

Red, Green, or Blue: The Extended Cut.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chtasm

I've already lost interest in my once favorite series of sci-fi RPG/alien date simulator.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By laserbolts

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Now we will have to wade through the hundreds of mass effect 3 ending threads again.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By mrpandaman

Are we going to see lawsuits, filings to the BBB, and cupcakes for this one? I, for one, am hoping for brownies.

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Talis12

@YoThatLimp said:

I wonder if you will have to re-play all the ending combat? Because man, some of that sucked.

weren't they adding to the ending instead of changing it?

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WJist

Can we agree as a species to just move on from this?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EXTomar

As I asked in the other thread, why would you want to "roleplay" the logic behind the Control or Synthesis endings?

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DirtyEagles

dont even care anymore.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

I don't really understand why most people that hated the ending are now subjected to a label as "same old internet hates something so they're clearly crazy!" Is it really that hard to believe that people actually loved this franchise and were upset about an ending that ruined most of their enjoyment of he franchise as a whole? I never signed up for a petition or anything like that, but I wasn't happy with the ending or the game as a whole. I guess I'm one of the few that can control my anger well, but it seems unfair for our concern to be swept under the rug as another case of the internet being dumb. Perhaps I'm upset about how this article is written. Anyway, I'll check this dlc ending out, but it won't fix any of the other issues that Mass Effect 3 had which aren't the ending.

G24S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By G24S

You can always tell by the headline if Alex wrote the article or not.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#16  Edited By TadThuggish

My curiosity is trouncing my wish to get rid of the stink of ME3, so I'll probably compromise and watch it on YouTube.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zlimness

I don't really care at this point. Might watch the extra content on Youtube at best.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

I put off replaying through the game specifically to see the new ending. So I'll see it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The title of this article is so true. People are still going to bitch no matter what they do.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

I don't believe people are angry but given how busy people are and how expensive games have gotten I don't fault anyone for being upset at the situation.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By adoggz

@mrpandaman said:

Are we going to see lawsuits, filings to the BBB, and cupcakes for this one? I, for one, am hoping for brownies.

maybe ritual suicides to show displeasure?

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wikitoups

Lol God damn the pic and caption!

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By sixpin

I look forward to ignoring the complaining about this new footage (should prove easier than ignoring the sexism debate). I'll also watch said ending on YouTube, because after finishing ME3 I have no desire to play it again.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By FakeKisser

@YoThatLimp: You have to replay from the attack on the Cerberus base to the end.

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By McDunkin

There is now a purple ending.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Undeadpool

There will be a segment of people who enjoy it. This will likely be the majority and you will hear very little from it. There will be a segment of people who don't enjoy it for various reasons they will likely articulate succinctly and well. This will likely be a large segment and you will hear very little from it. There will be a segment of people for whom no ending was ever going to be good enough, let alone any ending extension. The will likely throw around impossible ideas that are beyond the realm of feasibility, and the internet will CHOKE ON THEIR POST COUNTS.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngelN7

Great! cannot wait, couldn't give two shits about what the internet thinks about the game I enjoyed it.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Shaanyboi

@Phatmac said:

I don't really understand why most people that hated the ending are now subjected to a label as "same old internet hates something so they're clearly crazy!" Is it really that hard to believe that people actually loved this franchise and were upset about an ending that ruined most of their enjoyment of he franchise as a whole? I never signed up for a petition or anything like that, but I wasn't happy with the ending or the game as a whole. I guess I'm one of the few that can control my anger well, but it seems unfair for our concern to be swept under the rug as another case of the internet being dumb. Perhaps I'm upset about how this article is written. Anyway, I'll check this dlc ending out, but it won't fix any of the other issues that Mass Effect 3 had which aren't the ending.

So.. what, the 100+ hours you invested prior were suddenly a joyless, awful experience because of a five minute cutscene at the end?

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Matterless

Really looking forward to having my opinion on this marginalized, you guys. Hype.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrpandaman

@Bubbameister33 said:

Red, Green, or Blue: The Extended Cut.

Actually they will be moving onto the secondary colors of light purple, yellow, and cyan.

@adoggz said:

@mrpandaman said:

maybe ritual suicides to show displeasure?

They should dress up as Reapers, attempt to attack Bioware, and then we'll start a campaign called "Take Back Bioware." At the finale of the campaign there will be 3 choices in which we no matter what we choose we crash land in the wilderness of Canada.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31  Edited By MachoFantastico

Maybe it's the perfect time to actually play Mass Effect 3. Couldn't have cared less upon it's release after all the crap said about it.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By biggiedubs

I see we've got a nice mix of people who never cared, still angry people and those who turn up to make sarcastic remarks at the angry people's expense. I'd like to present myself as, 'dude who loved the first two games, and didn't buy the third one because he knew EA were going to fuck it up and have a disgusting dlc strategy'.

I hope we finally get to see the ending that Bioware would have made had EA had actually given the possibility to make it.

TheMartino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMartino

I will happily download and watch this ending.

That is if I can get past Marauder shields again, what an asshole that guy was, right?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34  Edited By Phatmac

@Shaanyboi: No it was mostly the finishing blow on a disappointing game. The game is good, but very disappointing.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@DirtyEagles said:

dont even care anymore.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrfluke

dont care what the internet says, fucking hated the ending, so very interested to see if they plug up their bullshit holes

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By defaultprophet

Just give me an Animal House ending and I'll be fine.

adamazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By adamazing

I was really hoping BioWare had just said they were making a new ending to shut everyone up... Then as time went on, people would just forget about it. That would have been hilarious.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By turboman

Alex is on fire today guys... LOOK OUT!

MrWiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrWiggles

@Oldirtybearon: There was nothing pedantic about this article. Please learn what words mean before you use them.

Temg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Temg99

Crud so I have to play from the Cerberus again? Heck no right now. Because their stupid readyness falls every freaking day, im almost guaranteed to be back to the basic 50%.

I really hope they also get rid of that multiplayer requirement because no way am I playing all those hours of multiplayer or the ipad app again to get my galactic readiness rating up to the required level to get the "best" ending again.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Milkman

I thought the ending was awful. And then I took the disc out and moved on. 

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By alex

@MrWiggles: Maybe he meant sardonic. Or pessimistic.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By linkster7

I just don't care anymore. All my emotional investment went away with the end of ME 3.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By dr_mantas

Whatever fuckers. I liked ME3 and waited for this. Give it.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fawkes

I expect this will be too little too late.

If what they've said about not changing it holds true, best case scenario is an explanation for the Joker paradox and detailing what consequences any of the choices actually had.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#48  Edited By brownsfantb

What sucks is, we're probably going to have to replay the last hour of the game because that's where it dumps you out after you finish the game the first time.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Draxyle

The sentiment is appreciated, but the damage is already done tenfold. I could never complete the trilogy knowing how compromised the original intentions of the series were, no matter what they do to "fix" it. It still depresses me just thinking about it.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Going to see what they added, and likely have my opinion of the game be relatively unchanged. Still enjoy the series, slowly working my way through my 2nd playthrough of ME3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.