Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

You Will Have an Updated Mass Effect 3 Ending to Complain About Starting This Tuesday

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#301  Edited By Spam101

just need to voice this but was anyone else expecting kai leng to be a Cerberus resurrected kaidan alenko who's mind had been twisted into bitterness at his sacrifice with the intention of stopping shepard. I was certain that was the purpose for the mask/visor

Instead we got this random guy who had very little backstory or filling out. What's he been doing up till now? why wasn't he on your squad in 2 as he's obviously so leet and at the illusive man's disposal.

Would have been a great to kill kaidan again but not before he had a darth vader style redemption providing perhaps some useful information to defeat the illusive man.

C_Cage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By C_Cage

I'll watch it on youtube. My saves been deleted after a reformat so I'd rather not replay 3 games to get to that meh end point. If it's good enough I might replay them but I don't see how extending them is gonna fix mister star child.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#303  Edited By TheHT

@Lord_Punch said:

@WrenchNinja said:

@Brodehouse said:

You still don't get it. They're not trying to save YOU. They're trying to save organic life in its entirety. Just because the Reapers want to kill all humans, does not mean they want to kill all organic life. Which they clearly do not. If this cycle completed as normal, humans would be dead... but varren, and pyjaks, and dogs, and horses would live on. And eventually one of them would come to evolve into a sentient species, become civilized, master space flight and discover mass effect technology. The cycle will continue in perpetuity, and no organic race will become powerful enough to create an AI that completely erases organic life forever. The difference between the Reapers and the ultimate synthetic creature they fear is that the Reapers have ethical restraint; they see organic life as worth saving at some level, so they will stop at advanced spacefaring life. Without that ethical restraint, they would exterminate the humans, and the varren, and the fish in the sea, and plant life, even bacteria and single-celled life, anything organic they would eliminate to prevent it from being a threat. THAT is the key to its actions. The problem is is that you look at this from the view point of your life and the 100 years you have, or maybe the 6-8 thousand years of human civilization... the star child (and the Reapers) look at it from millions and millions of years. What Sovereign is true "you can't grasp our nature". There's a lot about the Mass Effect ending that doesn't make sense (and more that is just poorly done in a storytelling sense), but this part ABSOLUTELY CHECKS OUT. For real.

I get it just fine dude. I know that they only kill advanced organic life. I'm saying it's a load of bullshit since they don't back up their assertion that A.I.s will try to kill all organic life if organic life continues unabated. The fact that they have restraint at all disapproves their assertion. The fact they exist at all, that any organics exist at all disapproves the assertion. They have absolutely no proof to back up such an idiotic conclusion. On the other side, we have organics winning wars against synthetics, synthetics not wanting to fight organics, synthetics falling in love with organics and synthetics not killing all organics over millions of years.

Exactly. Well-put, WrenchNinja.

Yes indeed. The millions-years old Reapers need to prove their theory of "eventually synthetics will destroy all organics" to the thousands-years old humans who have settled one conflict with synthetics.

But of course because they haven't spoken of any particular times synthetics actively threatened all organic life there must not have been any, ever. That's how logic works, right?

In fact, as WrenchNinja points out, that the Reapers exist and have been actively stopping that from ever having a chance of happening, resulting in organics still existing, is all proof that it can't ever happen anyways.

I mean, look at all the things we learn about synthetics. Cooperation and even commingling are possible! How beautiful it would have been for the cruel heartless Reapers to have seen Legion and Tali holding hands, or EDI embracing Joker, and realize that they were wrong all along, as a single orange goopy tear creeped down their bluish carapaces.

QUE CELINE DION; ROLL CREDITS

There are definitely gripes to be had with the original Mass Effect 3 ending, but some peoplereally got behind the stupid ones.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#304  Edited By KainScion

this was supposed to come out in APRIL!!!

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#305  Edited By Dizzyhippos

So its now the 26th no matter what time zone your in execpt hawaii, is this out yet?

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By umdesch4

@Dizzyhippos said:

So its now the 26th no matter what time zone your in execpt hawaii, is this out yet?

Well, I just checked again on Origin for the PC version, from Canada, and I still don't see it.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#307  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@umdesch4 said:

@Dizzyhippos said:

Well, I just checked again on Origin for the PC version, from Canada, and I still don't see it.

its going to be listed as DLC and not just patched?

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By umdesch4

@Dizzyhippos said:

I dunno, but I figure that given its 1.9 GB size, they'd probably be best to at least warn people that it's coming...but hey, this is Origin and EA we're talking about, so who knows?

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#309  Edited By Ninja

@umdesch4 said:

@Dizzyhippos said:

I dunno, but I figure that given its 1.9 GB size, they'd probably be best to at least warn people that it's coming...but hey, this is Origin and EA we're talking about, so who knows?

Well it will have to be patched for Xbox 360 since it is 1.9 GB but who knows what they are doing with Origin, I imagine people will like it to be a choice thing.

Goggen240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By Goggen240

@Spam101:

Kai Leng is from the third and fourth Mass Effect books. He was a ninja assassin there too, and he didn't leave enough of an imprint on me for me to actually remember what his backstory was. Or that he even *was* in the books, until halfway through Mass Effect 3.

"Oh yeah! That guy! What's-his-masked-face from the books!"

Although, he *could* have an awful lot of terrific and memorable characterisation in the fourth book, which I haven't read. But from what I've heard of how good the fourth book, which is "not at all", I doubt it.

Making him the second-baddest guy in the game was *probably* a poor move. I would have preferred, I dunno... A Reaper or something? Actually have the Reapers be involved in the Reapers taking over the galaxy, somehow? What's Harbinger doing these days? Is he tormenting these humans who are trying to save all intelligent life in the galaxy? No? ...Why not?

sandweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#312  Edited By sandweed

@Goggen240: The theory is that new players not having played the other two wouldn't really know who harbinger was so they decided to introduce a new villain so they wouldn't alienate newcomers to the series.

In other news I can't even be bothered to get upset anymore, I'm sad Bioware is gone, but there is still good RPG developers out there.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By Mike76x

@dudeglove said:

I wasn't rabidly fanatic over it, and although I like some aspects of the Indoctrination theory, I'm still on the side that Bioware were extremely lazy/incompetent. The whole closing 20 minutes were just so weak.

Dragon Age 2's creative director/writer David Gaider fucked a lot of things up (mostly by actually talking to fans), leading to the shitfest over that game - so it should come as no surprise that ME3 will meet the same fate with that sort of practice well entrenched.

Now not everyone was going to be truly satisfied with whatever ME3's ending could have or should have been, but the execution was just so utterly shameful.

The best ending in recent memory is Infamous 2's ending (Good and Bad both have excellent moments), and come at me bro if you think otherwise.

They ran out of time and made horrible / lazy decisions.

Shepard was supposed to fight through the indoctrination, Illusive Man boss battle, then ending.

They couldn't make the indoctrination scene work so they scrapped it and left all the hooks (lazy), then they cut the Illusive Man battle because they didn't want a boss battle (stupid).

Then they ran out of time and said fuck it, lets just end it here.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By NTM

I hope giantbomb does a quick look of it, or we at least hear what their opinions of it are. It was alright.

Snowsprite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Snowsprite

adding more shit will not change the fact that mac walters is an incredibly awful writer

Pseudonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By Pseudonymous

Anything is better than the original ending, I just wanted to know what happened to everything and everyone after the multi-colored explosions. I'm pretty sure that's all anyone ever wanted... a damn explanation/closure.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By umdesch4

From Bioware's Page:

• [SPOILERS] After completing Mass Effect 3, a 'Legend' save is created prior to assaulting the Cerberus Base. To experience the Extended Cut DLC, load this save game and play through to the end of the game. The Extended Cut endings will differ depending on choices made throughout the Mass Effect series, so multiple playthroughs with a variety of different decisions will be required to experience the variety of possibilities offered by the new content.

Does anyone know what this save looks like? I don't have one (on the PC version), and I'm not clear which of my saves is near the point I need to be at.

EDIT: I found one. I guess you have to pick a save immediately after a save labelled "Horizon: Sanctuary", but before any Earth saves (I don't have any "Cerberus Base" saves). I found one on the Normandy, with only one active mission in my journal called "Priority: Cerberus Headquarters". This seems like the right place to start.

siaynoq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By siaynoq

Well, here's what Siaynoq (me) thinks. Behold!

I didn't quite hate the ending. But when I beat Mass Effect 2, immediately after it was over all I wanted to do was start a new game and do the whole thing over again cause everything was just that great. When I beat Mass Effect 3, I simply had no desire to do another playthrough. I can't tell how much of it was the game or just me. But the ending certainly didn't help. And that supposedly huge decision of whether to irradiate or just blow up the Collector Base? This was the consequence it led to in Mass Effect 3.

Vega: So the Illusive Man really hates you now, huh?

Shepard: Yeah I don't get it either. I totally didn't destroy the Collector Base like he wanted.

Vega: Mm, alright. Anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@siaynoq Actually I think it gives you 300 military strength points as opposed to 100 if you blow it.
    Pseudonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By Pseudonymous

The new endings are up to par in my opinion. I'm satisfied now. Why was that so hard to do in the 1st place (rhetorical question)? Art my ass, it's a game & I want MY endings!

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#321  Edited By WrenchNinja

@TheHT said:

Yes indeed. The millions-years old Reapers need to prove their theory of "eventually synthetics will destroy all organics" to the thousands-years old humans who have settled one conflict with synthetics.

But of course because they haven't spoken of any particular times synthetics actively threatened all organic life there must not have been any, ever. That's how logic works, right?

In fact, as WrenchNinja points out, that the Reapers exist and have been actively stopping that from ever having a chance of happening, resulting in organics still existing, is all proof that it can't ever happen anyways.

I mean, look at all the things we learn about synthetics. Cooperation and even commingling are possible! How beautiful it would have been for the cruel heartless Reapers to have seen Legion and Tali holding hands, or EDI embracing Joker, and realize that they were wrong all along, as a single orange goopy tear creeped down their bluish carapaces.

There are definitely gripes to be had with the original Mass Effect 3 ending, but some peoplereally got behind the stupid ones.

Yes. They do need to prove it. We have no reason to believe killer robots that repurpose other species as space zombies, trying to violently psychically mind rape individuals, that also use our liquefied remains to make more of themselves, use tactics such as using other synthetics to kill us to save us all from synthetics wiping us out and turning ourselves against each other. All for the benefit that not all organics will be wiped out by synthetics. It's very hard to swallow.

I never said that there were never any synthetics that tried to wipe out all organics. What I am saying is that they are just as capable of coexisting. The same with organics. The Krogan have been a bigger threat to the galaxy than any synthetic has been before the Reapers. Should we have gone under the assumption that it is impossible for the Krogan to cooperate and their only inclination is to war and conquer?

The Reapers are synthetics, as much as they want to deny it and say they are blend of both, having little jelly tubes don't make them technorganic. The fact that they exist at all, the fact that they haven't decided to wipe out all organics over the course of millions of years is enough proof that their theory is invalid.

We have more support in the series that AI's first thought isn't going to be kill all organics than we do the opposite. If you want to prove a point, show some evidence. That's how any argument works.

I don't see how it's a stupid gripe at all and I don't feel the mocking is warranted.

Lord_Punch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By Lord_Punch

@WrenchNinja said:

@TheHT said:

Yes. They do need to prove it. We have no reason to believe killer robots that repurpose other species as space zombies, trying to violently psychically mind rape individuals, that also use our liquefied remains to make more of themselves, use tactics such as using other synthetics to kill us to save us all from synthetics wiping us out and turning ourselves against each other. All for the benefit that not all organics will be wiped out by synthetics. It's very hard to swallow.

I never said that there were never any synthetics that tried to wipe out all organics. What I am saying is that they are just as capable of coexisting. The same with organics. The Krogan have been a bigger threat to the galaxy than any synthetic has been before the Reapers. Should we have gone under the assumption that it is impossible for the Krogan to cooperate and their only inclination is to war and conquer?

The Reapers are synthetics, as much as they want to deny it and say they are blend of both, having little jelly tubes don't make them technorganic. The fact that they exist at all, the fact that they haven't decided to wipe out all organics over the course of millions of years is enough proof that their theory is invalid.

We have more support in the series that AI's first thought isn't going to be kill all organics than we do the opposite. If you want to prove a point, show some evidence. That's how any argument works.

I don't see how it's a stupid gripe at all and I don't feel the mocking is warranted.

WrenchNinja, my advice would be to not engage in discussion or debate with The HT. The HT uses condescension, circular logic, bad logic, and will attempt to use your own words to make it seem like you are contradicting yourself when you are not. I've had these experiences with this user in other threads, including my own blog post, and it's just futile.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#323  Edited By TheHT

@WrenchNinja said:

@TheHT said:

Their tactics are irrelevant, and you've missed the point. You're asking them to prove their suggestion that says something will inevitably happen. How would you do that exactly? You can't even prove that the Sun will rise tomorrow. And why exactly would the Reapers feel the need to explain why they believe what they do? It makes no difference to them, they're going to turn everyone into goo either way.

Providing examples of previous synthetics bent on destroying organics would be proof. You said "they have absolutely no proof", which is tantamount to saying, in this case, that there are no such examples. But, you've cleared that up so, cheers.

The Reapers make no claims of a lack of ability to cooperate, only that synthetics will eventually destroy all organics. They can get along just fine, but there's always the possibility that some other synthetics come along and start what will eventually become the extinction of all organic life. It's that fear that motivates the Reapers.

Consequently the Reapers, or even the geth, existing in a manner that they do, does not render their theory invalid. Nothing that happens in the short span of the series, renders their theory invalid.

QED, it's a stupid gripe.

@Lord_Punch said:

WrenchNinja, my advice would be to not engage in discussion or debate with The HT. The HT uses condescension, circular logic, bad logic, and will attempt to use your own words to make it seem like you are contradicting yourself when you are not. I've had these experiences with this user in other threads, including my own blog post, and it's just futile.

You sound butthurt about something, but I don't recall ever being intimate with you. Maybe you're just upset that you didn't think your words through enough and I called you out on it and you were too hip to admit you made a mistake, once upon a time on the internet?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By EXTomar

It isn't a stupid gripe but an honest critique of the logic. Synthetics are dangerous so "the solution" according to the yammering Star Child is to create even more nightmarish synthetic beings built upon organic beings to wipe them all out. Exactly what does this solve? Why can't the player (or anyone else for that matter) ask that question?

Which reminds me, does Javik ever mention if there was a synthetic threat that necessitated The Reapers to act during his cycle? He might have but it escapes me for the moment. It sounds to me like writers or the star child just don't care.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By Cubical

Is the wrex romance quest a part of this ending?

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By Mike76x

@EXTomar said:

It isn't a stupid gripe but an honest critique of the logic. Synthetics are dangerous so "the solution" according to the yammering Star Child is to create even more nightmarish synthetic beings built upon organic beings to wipe them all out. Exactly what does this solve? Why can't the player (or anyone else for that matter) ask that question?

Which reminds me, does Javik ever mention if there was a synthetic threat that necessitated The Reapers to act during his cycle? He might have but it escapes me for the moment. It sounds to me like writers or the star child just don't care.

From the Mass Effect Wiki:

"The zha'til were a synthetic race that existed at the time of the Protheans. They originated when a race known as the zha implanted themselves with symbiotic AI technology to enhance their intelligence in order to survive as their homeworld became inhospitable. When the Reapers arrived, they subjugated the AIs, known as zha'til, who then seized control of the bodies of their masters and altered their genetic material at the deepest level, transforming the zha into synthetic monsters and their offspring into slaves. The zha'til proceeded to multiply into "mechanical swarms" that "blotted out the sky". With no other recourse, the Protheans sent the star of the zha's home system into supernova, destroying the zha'til entirely."

Of course once again Reaper kid is proven wrong.

1. The Zha turned themselves into synthetics, not rebelling against "the creator"

2. The Reapers caused the organic vs synthetic conflict in the first place

3. The synthetic threat was eliminated and did not require Reaper "assistance" to save organics.

This was actually discussed on the Bioware forums a few months ago, pretty funny.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10566346/1

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By umdesch4
    sully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#328  Edited By sully

@Spam101 said:

just need to voice this but was anyone else expecting kai leng to be a Cerberus resurrected kaidan alenko who's mind had been twisted into bitterness at his sacrifice with the intention of stopping shepard. I was certain that was the purpose for the mask/visor

Instead we got this random guy who had very little backstory or filling out. What's he been doing up till now? why wasn't he on your squad in 2 as he's obviously so leet and at the illusive man's disposal.

Would have been a great to kill kaidan again but not before he had a darth vader style redemption providing perhaps some useful information to defeat the illusive man.

That is a terrific idea. A real shame it didn't happen!

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By glyn

@sully said:

@Spam101 said:

That is a terrific idea. A real shame it didn't happen!

Wait for the "Truthe" DLC , coming out soon!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.