17 minutes of Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Footage

• 84 results
#51 Edited by csl316 (14253 posts) -

A BioWare game isn't a graphical powerhouse. Well, that's not shocking at all. I mean, yeah, some of the faces of their characters have been like one step above Bethesda's facial animations. That drink pouring animation in ME2 was fucking terrible. But really, who looks to these games as graphical giants? There are so many things in a BioWare game that I care about more than the graphics. Showing gifs of in-game animations is always less than useless.

Honestly, some of the scale of the Reaper set pieces in 3 amazed the hell out of me, if we're talking graphical powerhouses.

The human faces look weird in Mass Effect, but the aliens are generally pretty solid, and when placed next to skyscrapers attacking a city I'm willing to forgive some funny eyes.

#52 Edited by ds9143 (268 posts) -

I can't stand bullet sponge enemies, pass.

#53 Edited by Whitestripes09 (812 posts) -

@onemanarmyy: @colourful_hippie:

Sorry about the title! I don't want to give people the impression that they aren't free to like this game or not. I probably should have written a better thread and title that led to a more open discussion. I do think that ever since Mass Effect 3, people have given Bioware a lot of crap and I'm basically doing the same thing with what I wrote and I apologize to those of you that really enjoy this series.

I do hope that this game ends up being good because I played through all three games again recently and forgot how very enjoyable the Mass Effect world and characters are. I suppose I just want the best quality game that I can get, but perhaps I need to reign in my expectations and critique until I actually see the full game. Like many of you have said, this video is a pretty short window viewing of a very large game. I am pretty happy someone gif'd those animations though. I find them hilarious.

#54 Edited by Onemanarmyy (2966 posts) -

@whitestripes09: No worries, i'm pretty much in the same boat. Mass Effect 1 & 2 are at least in my top 30 games so it's easy to get very critical of the things you want to love. (similar to Gb's love / hate for wrestling)

But yeah, when it comes to Bioware or Gearbox, certain people will go above and beyond to tell others that their upcoming games will be bad. So seeing such a title makes it hard to know whether it's a legit complaint or someone of that crowd trying to discredit the game towards others.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#55 Posted by colourful_hippie (5762 posts) -

@whitestripes09 said:

@onemanarmyy: @colourful_hippie:

Sorry about the title! I don't want to give people the impression that they aren't free to like this game or not. I probably should have written a better thread and title that led to a more open discussion. I do think that ever since Mass Effect 3, people have given Bioware a lot of crap and I'm basically doing the same thing with what I wrote and I apologize to those of you that really enjoy this series.

I do hope that this game ends up being good because I played through all three games again recently and forgot how very enjoyable the Mass Effect world and characters are. I suppose I just want the best quality game that I can get, but perhaps I need to reign in my expectations and critique until I actually see the full game. Like many of you have said, this video is a pretty short window viewing of a very large game. I am pretty happy someone gif'd those animations though. I find them hilarious.

I really enjoyed the series but I was one of the many outraged fans over the ME3 ending. I would have loved the game more if I experienced it fresh with all of the DLC integrated. With that said it's been long enough since the last game that I want to go into this with an open mind. Honestly the only reason I've followed pre-release coverage is because the moment I heard devs saying that Andromeda would follow the Inquisition framework I immediately panicked because I hate Inquisition.

Seeing the gameplay has allayed some fears because it doesn't look like MMO auto-attack garbage but I'm not sure if the environments will be vast and empty like Inquisition. My other worry is that the story will be poor as well as the writing but I'm hoping they haven't shown that side of the game because they want to keep the mystery instead of hiding bad quality.

Honestly the animations stuff is not that big a deal from what I watched. People seem to forget how awkward their animation work was in the original trilogy. This game's graphical fidelity just makes wonky animations stand out more uncanny valley style like Horizon Zero Dawn's lip syncing issues

#56 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6727 posts) -

Still seems to have a lot of that Western-RPG/Bioware jank, but at this point I personally find it more endearing than anything else so can't say it really bothers me. Combat seems fine to me. I hate bullet sponges too, but I'll let that slide a bit with this being an rpg and all. And honestly, I'd much rather have this than Borderlands' clusterfuck of "let's throw everything and the kitchsen sink at the player all the time with no rhyme or reason."

Main thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the story. For one thing, I'm just not sure I'm ready for another "the first part of a larger story told over 6+ years." If this was it's own contained thing Scratch that, I looked it up as I was writing this and turns out they do want Andromeda to sorta stand on it's own as a complete thing which suddenly makes this game infinitely more appealing. Well okay then, I think I might be on board. Probably won't get it at launch though.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#57 Posted by colourful_hippie (5762 posts) -

@csl316 said:
@nate_is_my_fake_name said:

A BioWare game isn't a graphical powerhouse. Well, that's not shocking at all. I mean, yeah, some of the faces of their characters have been like one step above Bethesda's facial animations. That drink pouring animation in ME2 was fucking terrible. But really, who looks to these games as graphical giants? There are so many things in a BioWare game that I care about more than the graphics. Showing gifs of in-game animations is always less than useless.

Honestly, some of the scale of the Reaper set pieces in 3 amazed the hell out of me, if we're talking graphical powerhouses.

The human faces look weird in Mass Effect, but the aliens are generally pretty solid, and when placed next to skyscrapers attacking a city I'm willing to forgive some funny eyes.

Yeah at the time the latter two ME games looked pretty good actually. Not on the level of a Gears of War game but it looked good and the combat looked flashy in a good way, but people forget that weird animations are not unique to Andromeda they were in the original trilogy too. The high fidelity of this game just makes the jank stand out more because of uncanny valley.

#58 Edited by mellotronrules (2149 posts) -

this looks fine. but dear god i really don't know why they're burning so much marketing capital to show off combat to the exclusion of all else.

#59 Posted by IVDAMKE (1591 posts) -

this looks fine. but dear god i really don't know why they're burning so much marketing capital to show off combat to the exclusion of all else.

Yea this is quite bizarre, maybe with the constant berating of the facial animation they're afraid to show conversations? I'm not sure people realise how facial animation is done for games like these, and I can't really pinpoint any game with similar facial animation methods that are better other than The Witcher 3. It does look odd but I don't see it as such a negative to be a deal breaker.

The main thing that got my goat with this video was Peebee's voice acting. Almost came across as an anime dub for an overly positive young girl.

I think the game looks good but not great, it seems to tread a lot of the same water as the previous games which is a problem but it's hard to determine the general flow of the games core pillars from these brief mostly combat dominated videos.

#60 Edited by selbie (2494 posts) -

Aside from the derpy face proportions, I like the look and sound of the rest of the game. I'll probably end up going with male Ryder anyway as Tom Taylorson sounds like the better VA of the two.

#61 Edited by OurSin_360 (5195 posts) -

Just played a bit of mass effect 2 and these faces look infinitely better than anything in that game.

I"m surprised they have the stereotypical annoying anime girl in this game though, the tone of this is a lot different than i thought it would be.

Also this footage seems to be of IGN playing the game, not bioware so I'm not sure what people are talking about in terms of bioware showing the game off poorly.

#62 Posted by Mystyr_E (1469 posts) -

It looks, I don't want to say bad but for a game long in development you have bad character faces, awful squad dialogue, scanning scanning everywhere and dull walking to your next waypoint.

This game really comes across to me like an obligation project: DAI was almost 3 years ago, their new IP is likely next year, EA told us make a new Mass Effect aaaand this is what we get? err?

#63 Edited by ripelivejam (11865 posts) -

@paulmako: ea is satan, no matter how many good/great games they put out/publish.

#64 Posted by ripelivejam (11865 posts) -

also witcher 3 mentioned as be all/end all in relation to other games: check. *sigh*

#65 Posted by burncoat (336 posts) -

I was fine seeing the first reveals animations of human characters. I attributed that to "pre-release" footage and beta-builds. But I'm starting to get worried the closer and closer we get to the release date and seeing more company approved trailers and footage that have these weird animation hiccups. It's starting to get more likely that these weird looking animations are more standard than we might hope. That nobody in their marketing department said "Hold up, what did they just do? That didn't seem right," or if they did it was squashed makes me uneasy. "The other games had weird animations" isn't a valid defense, either. That's like arguing against Jeff for saying he couldn't give Fallout 4 a pass for its bugs just because it's Bethesda and their games always have bugs. At this point I think it's fair to expect better.

I'm still conflicted because I love the universe so much. I got ME3 even though I was hearing that the ending was disappointing because I wanted to finish the fight. Even after feeling incredibly let down when the rumors I heard were true, I kept playing the multiplayer because it was fun and I got to play as the other races. I'm still miffed that despite giving everybody all this information about the species of the Mass Effect world we're still shoe-horned into playing a human character because the aliens were by far the best characters and best part of the game. I'm probably going to get Andromeda, but I'm afraid of feeling burned again.

#66 Edited by IVDAMKE (1591 posts) -

@ripelivejam: How is that a problem? People shouldn't be pointing to where their standards lay? Rather just making standards up out of thin air?

#67 Posted by ripelivejam (11865 posts) -

@ivdamke said:

@ripelivejam: How is that a problem? People shouldn't be pointing to where their standards lay? Rather just making standards up out of thin air?

it's more a game that i don't think should be as high of a standard as everybody and their mother thinks it is. it's not the be all end all.

#68 Posted by Mystyr_E (1469 posts) -

also witcher 3 mentioned as be all/end all in relation to other games: check. *sigh*

I agree and been seeing it a lot lately. This whole "well this game's good....I mean it's no Witcher 3 but..." and stuff like that. Let a game stand on its own merits and not always comparing it to things.

#69 Edited by IVDAMKE (1591 posts) -

@ripelivejam: It's not the be all and end all, but when talking about facial animation specifically it's an easy reference for expectation. It's recent and in a very similar ballpark of genre and scope to Andromeda. People are going to reference their standards it's how they get their point across. If you didn't find TW3 all that impressive I'm sure you have your own standards set by other games that you would put up against it and why it didn't impress you.

@mystyr_e said:

Let a game stand on its own merits and not always comparing it to things.

That's not really a thing to be done, it's human nature to compare especially when defining relative quality under scrutiny. The same was done to TW1 and 2 when they were released but in reverse, everyone compared it to Bioware games with Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins being the bar for quality that needed to be achieved.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#70 Posted by BladeOfCreation (495 posts) -
@csl316 said:
@nate_is_my_fake_name said:

That's what I meant. BioWare isn't CryTek, they don't masturbate over how good the graphics are in their games.

#71 Posted by LawGamer (1481 posts) -

Anyone else having a really hard time understanding the AI voice? I can't imagine this with the music going. Absent subtitles I think I'd have no chance.

Maybe that want to back off on the vocal modulation? Or maybe give a sound job to someone who isn't making out with the synthesizer?

#72 Posted by mak_wikus (745 posts) -

Ryder's face looks a bit cartoony, like it belongs in a game like Saints Row or something. Also, her "armor" looks more like it was painted onto a leotard. Look at her waist and legs. How thin is she that wearing an armored suit still makes her look anorexic?

Remember, it's pre-release footage taken from a demo, which probably was prepared months ago, so a lot of stuff hopefully will get ironed out.

P.S. I'm gonna play this game and I'm gonna enjoy it.

#73 Posted by Bones8677 (3511 posts) -

All I've ever seen of this game is combat, combat and more combat. I'm sick of it.

I actually like how the combat looks, and the mobility of the jump pack looks really fun. But combat is not what I come to Mass Effect for. I come for the world and characters, and Bioware has gone out of its way to not showcase any of it outside a few lines of what's going on. All I want is to see Ryder walk around the Citadel equivalent and talk to people. Showing me dialogue options and how things play out.

As far as what I've been shown, it looks like they just took all of that out in favor of more combat.

Is this still an RPG? Then where is the RP, Bioware?

#74 Posted by SASnake (531 posts) -

Loading Video...

The animations for Sarah Ryder are pretty comical in the first 20 seconds, but the dialogue and gameplay do not look so good. I feel like Bioware invested too much on their vision of a "light hearted" Mass Effect story and they are just trying so damn hard to make PeeBee the "quirky adventurer", but it just falls really hard instead. It is pretty disappointing to see see how much the player has to rely on cover to take down bullet-sponge like enemies. I know the open world will have less hall way segments like this, but it seems like they really limit the new mobility options. In general, this just seems like really generic gameplay with a bad case of dialogue and voice acting.

Thoughts?

Isnt that the same as...Mass Effect 1 - 3?

#75 Posted by two_socks (445 posts) -

I'm glad the tried and true combat encounter of "defend a robot while a door opens" is still intact, was worried that might get left behind. Joking aside I'm curious how early this build is. I'm okay with some jank in nearly every facet of a game, but the more video I see of it the more I see all the cracks. Granted I'll probably barely notice it all when playing but without a ton of context or having actually played it it just comes across as a pretty bad look for the game.

#76 Edited by BigSpoon (20 posts) -

Weird faces aside, I'm a little bummed that in the first 10 minutes of the video there were two separate "hold this position" sections.

#77 Posted by Whitestripes09 (812 posts) -

@sasnake: I find that to be disappointing that a game series that is nearly 10 years old can't fix problems that have existed since the 1st game. From other videos, the faster gameplay is definitely an improvement and it looks fun, but perhaps the biggest problem that I see from this is just how long it seems to take some enemies down and how some of the hallway segments force the player to start using cover and it reminds me of the collector homeworld/ship segments from 2, which weren't that fun. The abilities and weapons that this player choose also seem to rely more on shooting from a distance, so hopefully in the full release we will see different play styles emerge from different tool kits that allow you to rely less on cover.

#78 Posted by FacelessVixen (1994 posts) -

Based on all of the comments I'm seeing about how rough Ryder's design and animations are, I guess you all can say that's she's one ruff Ryder.

#79 Posted by Xdeser2 (287 posts) -

Honestly I dont think this is super damning or exciting. I'd have to assume they chose a combat heavy portion to avoid spoilers, but after Inquisition (which I still liked, for the record) I could understand being skeptical of that.

Combat looks fun, though I'm not really looking forward to fighting Blue pallet swapped Prometheans.

#80 Posted by Blackout62 (2097 posts) -

Watching this something clicked and I realized the reason I really like playing The Division is because it plays like a smoother ME3 multiplayer. Now I really hope this is also something Bioware realized and took cues.

#81 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9084 posts) -

Every thread for this game is kind of unbearable. Just looking forward to this game finally being out.

#82 Posted by JEC03 (1680 posts) -

I'm surprised this game is using the Frostbite engine the faces could look better but still it looks good enough I just hope game is more fun to play then watch.

#83 Posted by LawGamer (1481 posts) -

Based on all of the comments I'm seeing about how rough Ryder's design and animations are, I guess you all can say that's she's one ruff Ryder.

Well, she sure isn't a honey . . . Ryder.

I'll show myself out.

#84 Posted by SethMode (592 posts) -

@lawgamer: you owe both me and my cat an apology. Me for making me groan so loud it woke my cat up with a start, and my cat for the same reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.