Almost 10 hours with ME:A

• 113 results
#101 Edited by Casepb (208 posts) -

In what way was the ME3 UI bad? If you very much greatly enjoyed all ME games, even 3 would you say I'm going to equally enjoy Andromeda? I'm very much expecting to.

#102 Edited by essi2 (187 posts) -

@casepb I'm expecting to enjoy Andromeda as much perhaps even more then ME3, it being a new place with new faces and all.

Now if you are playing Mass Effect on the PC the UI is consolized horseshit that barely functions with Mouse & Keyboard.

But the worst UI offender in ME:A is the damn map, you open it with 'M' and then you have to hammer the 'Esc' key to get back to the game.

#103 Posted by shorap (128 posts) -

@essi2 said:

@casepb I'm expecting to enjoy Andromeda as much if perhaps even more then ME3, it being a new place with new faces and all.

Now if you are playing Mass Effect on the PC the UI is consolized horseshit that barely functions with Mouse & Keyboard.

But the worst UI offender in ME:A is the damn map, you open it with 'M' and then you have to hammer the 'Esc' key to get back to the game.

Didn't that port also not have controller support of any kind?

#104 Posted by essi2 (187 posts) -

@shorap ME1 didn't have controller support, never tried it with ME2 or 3. But it was very popular for a long while to not include controller support, so I would not be surprised.

#105 Posted by Mister_V (2305 posts) -

Went in to the trial with very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. The PC version looks and runs great, they fixed the horrible framerate in conversations that DA:I had. The animations have been fine for me so far... Yes one or two little glances between characters look bad but for the most part it seems fine.

The combat is really good fun, the biotic powers feel like they have some real punch behind them, the guns feel good and the jetpack adds some real verticality to the fights.

The story is decent so far, they do introduce a lot of characters very quickly and without much backstory, I'm hoping they each get a chance to shine because it feels like we all got thrown together right now. (Though that may well be intentional) The music in some of the cutscenes is real good though, might be some of my favorite in the series.

My main gripes so far have to do with the interface and map, the menus seem overly complicated, with things like missions buried to many layers deep, and while we're on missions you should be able to have multiple missions objectives show on the map at the same time, I'm a big boy I can do multiple things at the same time game!. Also the map should be one button press on the controller, though this was an issue in DA:I from what I remember so maybe we are just stuck with it.

Overall i'm liking it a lot so far, maybe it all goes bad after the trial ends, but it doesn't seem like the trash fire some people have been saying it is.

#106 Edited by rethla (3438 posts) -

@essi2 said:

@shorap ME1 didn't have controller support, never tried it with ME2 or 3. But it was very popular for a long while to not include controller support, so I would not be surprised.

None of them has controller support but there is good fanmade mods which adds it.

It turns out that all the controller functionality already exists in the PC game as a leftover from consoleports so all you needed to do was hack the game to enable it and put an xinput wrapper to make it work with windows. How can a company like Bioware and EA not include that from the start wtf?

#107 Posted by vizard1301 (97 posts) -

I put around 2 hours into the trial and It just ain't clicking for me

Maybe i over hyped myself up but it feels boring and im not enjoying any of the characters.

#108 Edited by shorap (128 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Went in to the trial with very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. The PC version looks and runs great, they fixed the horrible framerate in conversations that DA:I had. The animations have been fine for me so far... Yes one or two little glances between characters look bad but for the most part it seems fine.

The combat is really good fun, the biotic powers feel like they have some real punch behind them, the guns feel good and the jetpack adds some real verticality to the fights.

The story is decent so far, they do introduce a lot of characters very quickly and without much backstory, I'm hoping they each get a chance to shine because it feels like we all got thrown together right now. (Though that may well be intentional) The music in some of the cutscenes is real good though, might be some of my favorite in the series.

My main gripes so far have to do with the interface and map, the menus seem overly complicated, with things like missions buried to many layers deep, and while we're on missions you should be able to have multiple missions objectives show on the map at the same time, I'm a big boy I can do multiple things at the same time game!. Also the map should be one button press on the controller, though this was an issue in DA:I from what I remember so maybe we are just stuck with it.

Overall i'm liking it a lot so far, maybe it all goes bad after the trial ends, but it doesn't seem like the trash fire some people have been saying it is.

I noticed that when my brother played through it on pc as well because on the consoles, hitting left on the d-pad brought up the map for DA: I.

#109 Posted by Ir0n (131 posts) -

Played Andromeda in parallel to Nier.

Nier resonates with me on so many levels where Andromeda feels like a textbook sequel that ticks all the check boxes but does little beyond that.

#110 Posted by Mister_V (2305 posts) -

@shorap: Yeah the D pad in this controls the squad.

One thing I got wrong, you can see objective markers for other missions, but it's hollowed out version of the icon.

#111 Edited by WynnDuffy (1012 posts) -
@essi2 said:

@casepb

Mass Effect 1 and 2 both have great PC versions with support for numbered hotkeys, no need for using the control wheel... so not sure what you are talking about there. Unless you meant Andromeda.

#112 Posted by essi2 (187 posts) -

@wynnduffy ME1 and 2 have acceptable hotkey support.

ME1 is probably the ME game with the best UI on PC, but it's not great. If you think it is, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

#113 Edited by WynnDuffy (1012 posts) -

@essi2 said:

@wynnduffy ME1 and 2 have acceptable hotkey support.

ME1 is probably the ME game with the best UI on PC, but it's not great. If you think it is, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't say it's great, well, I wouldn't say much about it at all, it never got in the way for me, I was just glad it didn't have the god awful framerate of the 360 version (constantly under 25 fps) and I didn't have to use the command wheel all the time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.