If you've actually played it, how does ME:A compare to your expectations?

• 82 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll If you've actually played it, how does ME:A compare to your expectations? (643 votes)

Q1 - Facial animation - Much better than I expected 2%
Q1 - Facial animation - Better than I expected 9%
Q1 - Facial animation - About what I expected 34%
Q1 - Facial animation - Worse than what I expected 33%
Q2 - Writing / Dialogue - Much better than I expected 3%
Q2 - Writing / Dialogue - Better than I expected 14%
Q2 - Writing / Dialogue - About what I expected 28%
Q2 - Writing / Dialogue - Worse than what I expected 31%
Q3 - Voice acting - Much better than I expected 6%
Q3 - Voice acting - Better than I expected 15%
Q3 - Voice acting - About what I expected 36%
Q3 - Voice acting - Worse than what I expected 18%
Q4 - Visual bugs and frame rate issues - Much better than I expected 5%
Q4 - Visual bugs and frame rate issues - Better than I expected 15%
Q4 - Visual bugs and frame rate issues - About what I expected 26%
Q4 - Visual bugs and frame rate issues - Worse than what I expected 30%
Q5 - Overall game enjoyment - Much better than I expected 12%
Q5 - Overall game enjoyment - Better than I expected 22%
Q5 - Overall game enjoyment - About what I expected 18%
Q5 - Overall game enjoyment - Worse than what I expected 29%

Obviously, there are five questions to this poll, as it allows multiple choices. Please vote on all five.

The release of Mass Effect: Andromeda continues to fascinate me. We have some people suggesting that it's a completely worthless game that shouldn't be purchased at any price, while others say that the faults of the game have been largely exaggerated, and that the game is worth buying right now. Metacritic has several review scores in the 80s, and several in the 60s.

Mass Effect: Andromeda seems to be the lowest scoring traditional BioWare game ever, but how much of that do you agree with? And are you enjoying the game despite its faults--however serious they may or may not be--or do you regret your purchase?

There are some threads about this already, of course, but I thought it would make a very interesting poll. Of the Giant Bomb community brave or foolish enough to risk purchasing a "bad" game, I'd really like to see the opinions of some forum members who have actually played the game, instead of just watching cherry-picked you tube clips.

So, what do you think of Mass Effect: Andromeda so far?

• 
OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OurSin_360

Everything was about ehat i expected from the trial except i thought i would enjoy it more. Granted i will probably get past it but so far the scanning and nomad stuff bums me out more than anything.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dr_monocle

Most what was I expected, and yeah the facial animations are stiff and unnatural, but I kinda love this game. I love the frontier spirit of it; asking people why they came to Andromeda and then seeing a slowly developing populace. New characters take some getting used to, but I'm warming up to everyone. I like Ryder (or, at least, Ryder how I play him) a little more than Shepherd cause he is not as disciplined or rigid. I'm quite happy.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dozen hours in finished Eos so far menu's and combat are a little clunky but really enjoying the characters and writing also the Nomad is bloody great so happy exploration back with lots of stuff to upgrade and level, all in all its more Mass Effect definitely gonna like Andromeda more than ME3.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Going by my expectations from a year ago? Almost everything is below them. But those weren't my expectations upon actually starting the game.

The past week severely tempered my expectations to the point where the final product has actually been a pleasant surprise. Based on everything that's been said here and other places on the internet, you'd think the game is a total trainwreck, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

The complaints about the writing particularly kind of baffle me, because it's pretty much what I expect of Mass Effect. Generally good, with some occasional cheese and clunky lines. This has always been the case, and I get the feeling the people complaining most haven't actually played the original trilogy in at least five years and are forgetting that, while often great with a ton of memorable moments, it wasn't perfect across the board. Mass Effect's writing and dialogue has always something where you take the good with the bad.

The animations are also something where the worst examples of it were in the first hour, and since that point there hasn't been a ton of egregious cases of bad animations. They're not good, but not the type of ridiculously bad immersion breaking stuff that was seen in the intro. It's not as though every conversation has some GIF worthy animation gaffs.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Going by my expectations from a year ago? Almost everything is below them. But those weren't my expectations upon actually starting the game.

Yeah, I would've been seriously let down if my expectations hadnt been lowered, i've only just done the main quest in eos (elos?) but it's been pretty run of the mill so far.

It's about what I expected given the reviews. The memes might make you think the game is on fire which it isnt, it's just a bit bland. Hoping it picks up later on.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The past week severely tempered my expectations to the point where the final product has actually been a pleasant surprise. Based on everything that's been said here and other places on the internet, you'd think the game is a total trainwreck, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

The complaints about the writing particularly kind of baffle me, because it's pretty much what I expect of Mass Effect. Generally good, with some occasional cheese and clunky lines. This has always been the case, and I get the feeling the people complaining most haven't actually played the original trilogy in at least five years and are forgetting that, while often great with a ton of memorable moments, it wasn't perfect across the board. Mass Effect's writing and dialogue has always something where you take the good with the bad.

The animations are also something where the worst examples of it were in the first hour, and since that point there hasn't been a ton of egregious cases of bad animations. They're not good, but not the type of ridiculously bad immersion breaking stuff that was seen in the intro. It's not as though every conversation has some GIF worthy animation gaffs.

I'm finding the same to be true. I think only 14 percent of players have even finished the first main planet mission right now, so almost every user opinion you're seeing online is based on the very early parts of the game. Apparently, the first planet is one of the worst, and some of the later characters are much more interesting.

I also have to wonder if everyone voting has actually played the game, or if they're thinking "well, I've seen the quick look, and that's all I need to know what I'm talking about." To be honest, I voted, but I still don't really feel qualified to judge the game just yet, and I've played for about eight hours already. It's going to be even more interesting to revisit this whole situation in a month or so, when people will have had time to go through the game at their own pace.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: My main question would be this: has anything resonated about the world building and characters or is it just not terrible?

Comparing to the first game, are they tackling cool concepts similar to the genophage or the Quarian/Geth conflict? Any moment stand out like they did many times in all 3 of the previous games?

Those are the things I come to mass effect for. Not an ok sci fi universe and story with mediocre characters but a great one full of depth and personality.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Playing on pc and I have zero issues so far outside of weird animations and such which have ALWAYS been in ME games

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OurSin_360

I guess i was thinking expectations from recently after seeing footage etc. I would say i never thought the quality of the game would be as low as it is across the board from when it was first announced. I figured it wouldn't live up to the hype but fully expected quality animations, better writing, and decent characters which is not what i have experienced so far. I feel Inquisition had much more quality production but was just kinda boring.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely better than what the internet would have had me believe, I'm enjoying it a great deal.

I don't think it'll top ME2 in the end for me but probably the others?

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It looks and animates like a Mass Effect game. Honestly I am a bit impressed that they managed to make Frostbite 3 look like Unreal 3.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#12 chaser324  Moderator

I also have to wonder if everyone voting has actually played the game

Well...there's no way to view the results without placing a vote, so I did just randomly check a box and click submit.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EthanielRain

I don't really care about any of the characters, or the story in general. The game needs polish, and yeah the faces/voice acting. But I'm still having a lot of fun with the game, because of the combat and world exploration. Pretty much the opposite of what I expected from an ME game, but am liking it anyway.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Drat. It was foolish of me to overlook that. I normally think people should be forced into a vote if they want to see the results, but I didn't take into consideration that I only want certain people voting in this particular poll. Oh well. A "what did you think of the game?" poll several weeks to a month or so from now will be more interesting anyhow. This poll might as well be asking people what they thought of the first several hours.

As a side note, you can always log out or view the site on your phone to see the results without voting. Still, I really should have added a "view results" option. Oh well.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ares42

So, I've played up to what I would think was the cut-off point for the early access, and so far I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised. The writing and delivery is better than I expected, although while I haven't seen any blatantly bad animations I can't get over the "rubber mouth" effect that often happens. It's like there's no physics applies to face animations or something. I've found the combat to be very disappointing though. Maybe it's because it's the first ME game I'm playing on console, but the weapon handling just feels bad to me.

However the biggest surprise for me was how much the introduction harkens back to the first game, to the point that I wanted to go play that instead. I ended up just watching the intro on YT instead, and oh god is the difference like night and day. You would think ME1 would be outdated at this point. But not only does it look about as good as this game, the presentation is so ridiculously much better.

With that in mind it made me rethink my previous impression that this game was made by people who didn't understand Mass Effect. Now I think it's the complete opposite. They are actually very aware of what made ME1 so good, but they just couldn't deliver the same quality.

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never thought Bioware was an infallible developer with amazing writing and production. They've always been cheeseball to me and their games have always been buggy but it's still remained entertaining. So this game pretty much falls in line with my expectations.

It's just a shame that they haven't evolved themselves with the standards set by other products in the industry. They seem to have existed in their own bubble.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I genuinely feel that the hate cascade hitting this game is strange and undeserved. The game does have alot of issues, as did the original trilogy. Honestly, I found the low res textures from ME2 alot more jarring than the facial animations in Andromeda. And 2 is probably my favorite game of all time. As for Andromeda, I'm having a great time with it. Playing on PC, and the only major technical problem I have is that the frame rate drops in the cockpit of the Tempest, so conversations with Suvi and Kallo are a bit of a chore.

I can see myself viewing this game as the "worst" of the Mass Effect games to date, when al is said and done, but I love all of them, so it's not saying much. The negatives simply are no match for the positives, in my eyes. I can completely understand those who disagree though. There are things you have to let slide to enjoy it.

Soulreaverm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke said:

It's just a shame that they haven't evolved themselves with the standards set by other products in the industry. They seem to have existed in their own bubble.

They remind me a lot of Bethesda in that way. I want to keep loving the things that they do but they seem a bit too content to keep coasting by on their old successes. Perhaps their new IP will be something truly impressive again......

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I had pretty low expectations going in, and this game has so far failed to clear even that modest bar. It's just a festival of bad design decisions. To whit:

* The conversation system is bad. I can understand wanting to move on from paragon/renegade, but the system they have now is not a good replacement. For all it's flaws, paragon/renegade at least allowed you to express strong opinions about stuff. The result was a Shepard that was believable of a Leader of People. You could see why people would jump into a fire for him/her.

By comparison all of the new system's response choices end up being varying shades of "politely milquetoast." I don't believe for a second that anyone would follow Ryder anywhere. I've been trying my damnedest to play my Ryder as "his father's son" and be an uptight kind of standoffish military commander. And the game just isn't letting me. To an almost comical degree. I have a hard time believing that Cora hasn't stepped in and just taken charge at this point, SAM or no SAM. It doesn't help that Dad Ryder has been the strongest character so far and he was clearly within the old Renegade mold. It just draws attention to how weak the new system is.

* Soft cover might have been OK if it worked. But it frequently doesn't. Why is this low-texture rock something I can hide behind while that identical low-texture rock isn't?

* The galaxy map zoom is really obnoxious. Who actually thought it would be fun to sit around for 20 seconds while the camera moves slowly (so slowly) between areas? That was clearly someone's little pet project and no one at BioWare was capable of saying "no."

* There is no music on either the Nexus or your ship. Those areas are already soulless and dead and now you don't even get a soundtrack.

* Speaking of that music, it's completely forgettable. I've played for probably 15 hours at this point and I can't recall any music at all. By comparison I can immediately hum the title theme of the original Mass Effect 10 years later.

* Bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs! I've had three hard crashes and two times when quests didn't advance on the critical path, forcing a reload. And since someone made the brilliant decision of not allowing you to manually save during critical missions, that meant backing up to an old manual save - which was nearly an hour earlier. Oh, and anytime I reload a save, the game decides to remap the buttons my powers are assigned to and strip the profiles off any saved ability sets, so I have to set all that stuff up again. Joy.

* The story so far is stupid. It's disappointing that BioWare went with a potentially cool setup and then used its same old tired tropes of Ancient Aliens and AI Symbiosis. Why bother with the move to Andromeda if you are just going to tell the same story?

* The Kett look dumb and I don't feel threatened at all fighting them. All I can think about when I see them is the shit demon from the Dogma movie.

So yeah, basically this game has been a real bad time.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By avantegardener

@spaceinsomniac Suggest adding a 'show answers' button, so people can actually see the results without skewing the data.

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IVDAMKE

@soulreaverm: You're right both Fallout 4 and ME:A fall into a similar boat of shortcomings and yea I even said the exact same 'bubble' thing about Bethesda at Fallout 4's release. It's funny though, Bethesda is notorious for bad faces and facial animation but I'd still put Fallout 4's above ME:A. That being said I enjoy playing ME:A a hell of a lot more.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting much from this game, I do like Mass Effect 2 & 3 but those are the only BioWare games I have ever liked.

But I am absolutely loving this game, I have played about 20 hours so far, which over 2 and 1/2 days is a lot for me. I've been losing track of time while playing it, Witcher 3 was the last game that had managed to get it's grip on me this tight.

I think all the complaints I've heard are pretty reasonable, the story seems ok, I'm actually starting to like it more.

I love the combat and movement, I never thought I'd love jumping around and biotic smashing some aliens so much, I'm a biotic god.

The Nomad is ok, I like the open world feel to the planet stuff I've done, flying around the galaxy is meh, but I'm ok with that.

I've seen some pretty hilarious visual glitches, the facial animations have made me laugh a few times, they can look pretty goofy.

I'm starting to really like some of the characters, the pilot of the ship being my favorite so far.

So yea, it's got it's problems for sure, I have a friend who straight up hates this game. But I am honestly enjoying the hell out of it and I am pleasantly surprised.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything sub expectations - literally bummed about the game as a whole.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Junkerman

I'm having a lot of fun with it! Mass Effect has always encaptulated what I love most in genera and gaming.

I just did a full play through of the trilogy before starting Andromeda so it was really disappointing to see that the character animations are actually significantly WORSE then anything in the older games... which is really unacceptable.

However if everything had that proper AAA polish I could see this being a nobrainer as a worthy successor to the franchise.

The combat game play is really tight. Lots of fun. I'm glad they did away with the class system; allowing you to build 100% exactly the Ryder you want to play as. I also think they really nailed the atmosphere and thrill of adventure and exploration. No characters have really stood out to me yet, but none are dragging down the experience either. The Tempest is really cool (Except for the fact the captains quarters is massive and your crew quarters is a closet lol)

Once the rushed start is over and you get off the Nexus for the first time the game really opens up and comes into its own. Its been getting better and better the more I play. Its probably the most fun I've had with a game since the Witcher 3.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GundamGuru

For me, the facial animations were about what I expected given the gifs going around. The dialogue is really the thing bothering me the most, it really is a tonal shift from the OT, but on top of that it's just amateurishly written quite often. They seem to be going for a Joss Wedon casual comedic style, but it ends up just coming off like a TV movie with a teenage cast. (That scene with Ryder hitting on Suvi, oof) That ties into the voice acting, which is also subpar. Several key characters have atrocious delivery (both Addison and Tann make me wince; Drack is trying way to hard), and others (like Lexi) who have known good actors giving fairly dead performances lead me to think that the voice direction is largely at fault here. Additionally, it's consistently inconsistent, with characters like female Ryder being fine most of the time, but then you have scenes like that where they almost sound like different character.

On the glitches and bugs front, I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I have had what looks like some quest scripting issues, but nothing major or blocking so far. I'm using an R9-290X instead of a Nvidia card like the duders, so that could be why I'm not seeing nearly the level the graphical glitchiness they were (though there still some texture flickering and z-fighting). What's weird about that is it's usually the other way round as far as driver issues.

Overall, I'm still enjoying my time with the game, but it's by far the weakest Mass Effect yet. What it is doing is making me want to go replay the Shepard trilogy one more time after I get done with ME:A.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Overall after the trial & not having any expectations beyond it being like ME3, this not only looks rushed to me with all the bugs but also hordes of bad writing/animation work that just undoes everything I go to Mass Effect franchise for. So yes the combat does seem a bit better and more multiplayer but if I want a 3rd person action plus multiplayer, I'll find a game series where that is the focus & should be better. If this is the best Bioware can do now after years of work/budget, it's the last new game of theirs I play as it seems a heartless shell of a game that went direct to video team.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27 jadegl  Moderator

I'm not too far in, so I am going to say my current impressions with the caveat that with more time invested, my opinions may change.

Facial animations are rough, but I am more unimpressed by animations as a whole. People look funny when they move around, and running and action still looks like it did in prior Bioware games, such as DA:I or even Mass Effect 3, when you would assume that they would be improved. The worst thing, by far, is that some people just look entirely out of proportion. Liam looks straight up weird most times, which is a shame since I really like his voice and his appearance otherwise. It just looks like he has Tyrannosaurus Rex arms, and while that might not be a big deal, whenever I see it it drives me bananas. It's like an itch that you can't scratch. Other characters look fine. Quality seems to be all over the place.

Writing is kind of bland. Dialogue fluctuates between funny and really good to poor. My main problem is not with the dialogue, since that seems pretty good at the moment on average, barring some banter that falls flat, but the overall story. So far, it's just not grabbing me. The hook isn't there. In prior Bioware games, I have felt a push within the first hour or two to keep going, to continue the story, to discover just what is going on and explore the world. With a new galaxy, you would think that would be easy to accomplish, but I feel like it's very rote. It feels like they're taking the most boring parts of DA:I of strengthening your group standing with almost MMO side missions, and giving it a science fiction reskin. It doesn't feel like Mass Effect. It has all the things you want for alien species and nods to older characters and story bits, but none of the heart, at least not yet. It's like someone writing a fanfiction that says "Hey, you like Salarians! Here's a Salarian! Hey, remember that nasty genophage? Here's a Krogan talking about it! Remember this beloved character from the other three games? Here's some voice recordings of that character!" I mean, I like the fan service bits, but at the same time it also just serves to remind me of those better (so far) and more interesting (so far) games.

Voice acting is fine to very good. I like all the aliens so far. Cora and Liam are fine, Dad Ryder was Clancy Brown so that's a thumbs up from me, but lady Ryder isn't impressing me so far. But, again, it's early and I haven't done much in game. Still, I feel like the emotional beats are not really hitting. I would think that certain events would cause great emotional turmoil in my character, and yet I haven't felt that yet, even choosing dialogue options that I feel would bring those out. Still, I think anyone ragging on the voice acting is being a little harsh. It seems fine to very good so far, especially now that I've met other alien squad mates.

I haven't had any glitches yet, so I can't really talk to that. I've seen some people running around the Nexus super fast, but that's about it. Nothing you wouldn't see in any other open world game, at least so far. No crashes or anything else weird to note.

So that brings us to overall enjoyment. I am, so far, slightly underwhelmed. While I think the premise is good and the voice acting is working for me, as well as the combat (playing vanguard is super satisfying atm) and more general gameplay, the story is weak as compared to other Bioware games. My main issue, above everything, is that it feels like they took DA:I and reskinned it in Mass Effect colors and tropes, and right now that's just not working for me. I want it to feel more like Mass Effect, and maybe it will with more time exploring Andromenda. But, right now, I am just not as enthused to continue as I had hoped to be at this point. With something like Zelda still on my need to finish list, it's hard to justify playing this instead. In the past, all other Bioware games immediately were must plays for me, and the fact that this one isn't there yet is a shame, at least to me as a big Mass Effect fan.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WynnDuffy

The trial was worse than I expected, I thought the combat was going to feel more modern but if anything it's worse than Mass Effect 3 now that they dumbed it down by removing the squad controls. Voice acting and writing were what I expected (bad).

Wonder what the future holds for Mass Effect. I've decided to play the original games again and the writing, camera shots and animations are definitely better in the first game...not so much the facial animations, but idle/poses are better and overall the faces are less goofy.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what expectations people had for this game but man is it meeting everything I wanted out of a new Mass Effect game so far. I'm still early in the story but I've been having a great time running around. I actually think the conversation stuff is a lot better than previous games and is less reliant on Paragon/Renegade choices. =

To go by each topic individually:

As someone who's played ME3 recently I can say that the facial animation stuff doesn't affect me as much. It's noticeable in some scenes for sure but it isn't detracting from my play through. Outside of Shepard and the party members there were a lot of rough faces in the previous Mass Effect games. I just think that people were a lot more tolerant of it since facial animation wasn't always the greatest back then. When you look at most modern games within the last 2-3 years you can really see the difference in that stuff.

The writing and dialog options are about what I expected as well. I laughed out loud when Drax was introduced as it reminded me how much I love the Krogran's. I haven't visibly groaned at some of the cheesier dialog as it is about on par with the previous entries. Not saying it's great but it isn't abhorrently bad either. FFXIV would like to say hello for lines basically phoned in. As for the main story beats I'm enjoying what I've experienced so far. Its full of sci-fi tropes but that's fine by me as I just want all of that in the Mass Effect universe anyways.

I've been pretty fortunate with bugs and frame rates so far. I'm playing on an Nvidia 960m on High settings and everything for the most part runs pretty smoothly. I do have some issues when I hook up my laptop to my monitor in terms of frame rate. This happens mostly in and out of the menu screen but overall I've had a technically competent game.

Overall my game enjoyment is high. I love the multiplayer and the jetpack and dash add quite a bit to making that feel like an improvement from 3. I'm about 8 hours into the single player campaign and I'm excited to spend some real quality time with it this weekend if I get an opportunity. It's good enough that it pulled me away from Horizon and that is saying something considering how engrossed into that game I was.

Avatar image for panburgerpartner
PanburgerPartner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems to be one of the rarest of occasions wherein poor-to-middling reviews actually helped me to appreciate the game. The relative radio silence preceeding its release already had my expectations dailed to "realistic" at best, and the general tone of most reviews and coverage confirmed that pessimism.

That being said, there was no way in hell I WASN'T going to play a new Mass Effect game, so going in with low expectations has actually left me quite pleased so far. I think most every criticism I've read seems valid, but none have come close to spoiling the journey thus far.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

In this case I think the nonstop dunking on the game everyone has been doing has made me enjoy the game even more? Even if I maintained my expectations from when I just thought of it as the next Mass Effect game, ME:A lives up to it. Thanks to everyone else lowering my expectations, the game now greatly exceeds what I thought I was going to get. It's very very good.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@starvinggamer said:

In this case I think the nonstop dunking on the game everyone has been doing has made me enjoy the game even more? Even if I maintained my expectations from when I just thought of it as the next Mass Effect game, ME:A lives up to it. Thanks to everyone else lowering my expectations, the game now greatly exceeds what I thought I was going to get. It's very very good.

This is exactly how I feel about this game. I actually have avoided GB's content on it after the initial stuff I saw. I really think people are going crazy overboard on this game in a way I have not felt about another game that I can think of. I am not sure why but I kind of think people think the previous ME games are way better than they actually were? I say that as a ME fan. The series has always had big flaws in facial animation and always had some goofy writing (if not some outright bad stuff). That and a culmination of the "everything is either incredible or the worst" effect I see in games journalism these days (with all that pent up ME 3 hatred).

This is a really good game though. The combat is easily the best in the series, the exploration is back, the progression is interesting. The main plot isn't amazing but everything around it is good (like every ME game but 1). I have complaints (mainly I think you absolutely should be able to use 4 powers at once if not more with how many there are) but I really like it.

Cronstintein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My favorite moments from the OT are often related to renegade stuff. Reporter punching, defenestration, and other general badassery was a mainstay of the series for me. Unfortunately Bioware Montreal seems to think "grey area" is synonymous with bland paragon dialogue. I found my dialogue options to be a huge step backwards in terms of diversity and it's ability to engage my interest.

The main plotline is not very good, but I'd say that's fairly standard for the series. ME1 was good, but if you really examine the A-plot of the following games, it's full of plotholes and poorly thought out logic. I can tolerate it, but it's hardly something worth celebrating.

Character writing is ok. There aren't a lot of games that do this, but compared to Bioware's previous works, I find it slightly subpar. Again, not intolerable, but not making me want to champion the game either.

The quests rarely have more than one solution. There are some very obvious branches that come up occasionally, but the lion's share of quests are very generic fetch/scan quests. I really wish they had cut the number in half and made them each twice as good, I hate these generic quests. A couple lines of boring dialogue does not a good quest make.

The combat and environments are definitely better. If these are the main draws for you, there's definitely something to enjoy here.

I want to like the crafting, but man, reviewers weren't kidding when they complained about the UI. It really is a mess trying to take an item from the blue-print stage all the way through crafting. And there are some serious balancing problems with the modifiers that can make a plethora of useless guns. Do yourself a favor and save before crafting anything.

Last, but most importantly for me: bugs. I got pretty deep into the game and realized I wasn't hearing any banter. Apparently there's a bug that prevents your party members from triggering their banter. Well fuck. The best dialogue in the game seems to be between party members, so having that stuff completely inaccessible to the audience due to bugs is unacceptable. This caused me to put my play on hold. Then, realizing I paid full price for a game that is unsuitable for play, I asked for a refund.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the game, it's taking a lot of my time when I actually sit down to play it. That said, it's about what I initially expected, which is good (and better than what I expected as of the time the video on Giant Bomb was put out, which showed that it had issues). Facial animation isn't the issue (though I did put worse than expected), it's the detail, so that's worse than I expected. If the detail was better, it'd be similar to Horizon Zero Dawn, and I'm okay with that. Animations could be better, though.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really enjoy playing the game, but it's clear that it isn't the revelation that the first trilogy was. They're retreading all of the popular tropes from the originals and doing it effectively for the most part. There have been some really awesome sequences and revelations in side quests that for some reason I didn't think they had in them. I'm 57 hours in and have 61% completion because I'm mopping up all the non fetch quest side and loyalty missions before the main quests. And I really like the combat.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a ton of fun with the game, but the structure is kind of a mess. I like the characters, the writing, the animations are maybe too in line with the previous games and not as modern as they should, but it doesn't bother me. What the game really lacks at the beginning is purpose and a direction. In inquisition you really had a goal and it was filled with epic moments, ME:A is really Winging It: the Game, stuff just kind of happens. I'm guessing it's just a slow start that Inquisition had as well... and when I say slow I mean the first 20 hours are the prologue.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's good so far.

Mass Effect 1 was my all-around favourite (most tactical gameplay, strongest sense of exploration, best character and party customization, most intriguing and best told story), Mass Effect 2 had the best characters and gameplay (vanguards got slow-mo = GOTY), and Mass Effect 3 was the most satisfying (the whole game is basically story conclusion after story conclusion).

This is a bit of 1 and 2 right now. It plays great, there's a good bit of customization (for Ryder anyways), and a decent sense of exploration. Too early to comment on the quality of the story or the characters. Peebee and Drack seem kinda great, but the story where I'm at feels like it hasn't actually begun (just reported back to Tann after Eos, so not very far in I think, even though the savegame says 11 hours; iunno what the fuck I did for 11 hours).

1. Facial Animation - Better than expected (looks like a regular-ass BioWare game, and nothing I saw leading up to this made me expect better; I don't hold a Naughty Dog level of facial/character animation quality to be the industry standard or my "AAA" expectation)
  2. Writing/Dialogue - About what I expected (your everyday variety of bleh)
  3. Voice Acting - Much better than expected (most of the fake people talk good)
  4. Visual Bugs/Frame Rate - Worse than expected (frame rate sucks sometimes on PS4)
  5. Overall - Much better than expected (I thought I'd mostly look forward to the multiplayer instead of the singleplayer; so far this feels like a Mass Effect game, which are things I like)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rethla

Its more like Inqusition and less like Witcher than i expected but im enjoying it greatly.

Also its slightly to buggy for my taste, i hope for a set of quick patches from Bioware.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zaccheus

I just fought one of the Architects and that battle was super fun, I hope there is some more epic stuff like that in the game.

@rethla I don't know how, but I always seem to be lucky with this stuff. Haven't seen any real bugs, the game has failed to load two times and I had to restart it but nothing was lost. I'm playing on PC.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: I play on PC aswell. I lost basicly all my 10hour Origin test playtime since all but the first couple of saves where corrupted and didnt load. Its not the first time im dealing with Mass effect and corrupted saves however so im gonna be ok and it has been better since. But you know a couple of quests that doesnt lists as completed even though they are, some datapads and interactionpoints that just turns out blank, npcs repeating dialogue etc. It all adds up and gets tiresome.

Most of it is listed as known bugs and promised to be adressed shorty by Bioware so it will probably be fine in the end.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By militantfreudian
@zaccheus said:

I just fought one of the Architects and that battle was super fun, I hope there is some more epic stuff like that in the game.

That was really a very fun fight. I'm glad the game justifies the increased character mobility by having enemies that force you to use the jump-jet and dash to evade their attacks. Although, the fact that this boss fight was part of a relatively boring quest is kind of a bummer.

Trying to put how I feel about this game into words has been sort of tough. I actually enjoy playing it for the most part, but when I look at it with a more critical lens, it all starts to fall apart. There's not one aspect of this game that is without fault. The game continues Bioware's trend of designing systems that rely on abstracted currencies and percentages. I also don't get why there are three separate scanning mechanics – I believe one is tedious enough. The combat by contrast has been greatly improved, in no small part due to the more flexible character progression and increased mobility.

As for the story part of the game, I think it's been relatively okay. It's not Bioware's most engaging story, but along with the promise of seeing new locales, it provides enough incentive for me to keep playing. I like most of my crew, particularly Vetra and Jaal. Speaking of which, I think the games does a decent job of fleshing out the angara – they're definitely one of the more interesting races in the series. The dialogue generally has been acceptable unless someone's trying to be cheeky, but the facial animation is often distracting.

With its emphasis on exploration, Andromeda retains some of that sense of wonder that was present in the first two games. I can't, however, shake the feeling that everything in this game would've been much better had it been in a leaner, more focused package.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@militantfreudian: This game is a serious poison for completionists. I came back to my ship today and there was 9 sidequests in my email... That's absurd, this is pretty much inline with Inquisition, but somehow it's even more pronounced here. You just have to pick your battles. I find that jumping between different story lines and changing planets often helps. I mean Eurogamer did a big write up How to actually enjoy Mass Effect: Andromeda, this game really depends on the player to make some choices that help to get enjoyment out of it.

It's kind of a mess, but I'm enoying it more and more as I play. I don't think I could recommend it to anyone though.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Efesell

Just don't worry about the Additional Tasks, they exist to stumble over while doing other worthwhile tasks.

Hell the journal itself may as well just say "Hey these aren't very important, don't stress out.'

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like the perfect game for the summer drought.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I love the premise of things going wrong with this super risky venture...but the execution just hasn't done it for me (yet?). I just got to the new system after Eos & Nexus return.

I've made my peace with the technical issues I guess, and I think it plays great (excited for multiplayer also), but overall the game is worse than I expected. I loved the trilogy, even many aspects of 3 and I just had such high hopes for a new galaxy.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By CJduke

I could look past all the bugs, missteps, and blown opportunities if the writing/dialogue was halfway decent. The dialogue is so bad. Nothing ever feels like it has any consequence. You kill all of a rebel leaders followers and he yells "why should I trust you?" and you basically say "because I'm here to help, do this thing for me" and he instantly listens to you and then instantly decides to help you. You literally just killed like 15 of his men, wiped out his entire base, and eh I guess he gets over it. Nothing that anyone does or says has any weight.

Everyone instantly just goes "you're the pathfinder! you are great" when you have done absolutely nothing to be deserving of it. So many people just act like they know what a pathfinder is, what they do and how they should act, when you are literally the first pathfinder ever and you have barely done anything.

Also all the squad members have fairly interesting backstories that so far, the game has done nothing with. They would rather make Liam spout stupid jokes than actually create a good character. So far only Jaal has been interesting.

Maybe the worst part of it is Ryder. She makes dumb, cringe-worthy jokes, and never says anything worthwhile. I was excited to see how they replaced the Paragon/Renegade system and it seems like they replaced it with nothing. No matter which option you choose, your character pretty much says the exact same thing. I've tried to be mean, sarcastic, rude, tough... even when the option reads that way, Ryder just says a generic line that stays perfectly down the middle to nice. And nothing so far has indicated that any of your dialogue choices will matter in the first place.

I'm still enjoying my time with the game, I love the combat and the freedom to level up whatever skills you want at any time, the crafting and research seems fun, and graphically its very nice. I also like the multiplayer quite a bit. The horrible writing is just so disappointing. It feels like they just said "Make Ryder be treated like a god" rather than having to earn a reputation, have conflict, and maybe be able to be disliked by people.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's about on par to me1 for me, which I didn't have strong feeling for either way. Don't love it, dont hate it. I'm gonna stick with it, but not sure if I'll see it all the way through.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The lead up to the game coming out and the large amount of shade thrown on it turned out to be a good thing for me. I ended up with expectations so low that I'm actually really enjoying the game now.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NTM

I'm 65 hours in and level 43. I'm not sure if others by then have finished the story, but I don't think I'm that close. It's cool, I was trying to do side missions and my Nomad broke down. I think it has to be due to me getting too close to the main mission on the planet, so now I have to hoof it on foot to the main mission before I move on (I think it'd kind of ruin it to just go back to the tempest and then come back to the planet). I'm currently investigating a derelict remnant ship on Elaaden, and I'm kind of in awe. I haven't felt that way in a game in a while. It kind of reminds me of seeing the Star Destroyer on Jakku in Star Wars Awakening (except, I didn't much care for that movie). This game can manage to look really great, especially pertaining to roaming the open world areas.

It's a huge bummer some can't look past what I consider to be pretty minor issues in the scope of things, like facial expressions. Writing, on the other hand, is subjective, but I like it and I don't really see it all that different from past Bioware games; the only difference is that Ryder has more of a (Nathan Drake kind of) character than Shepard. He can be pretty goofy. The voice work is really good too in my opinion. Eh, I wanted to come on and just talk about the enthusiasm, but it does bum me out that some people are so stuck on some of the issues. This game, in my opinion, is on the level of past Mass Effect's in just about every way overall and I'm super enthusiastic about it. The music has a bit less of an identity is all I'd say when it comes to the negatives comparatively, but it's still really good music.

In terms of negativity, it's disappointing that not just the facial expressions are less than stellar, but the texture quality is pretty low for faces, especially my custom Ryder; sometimes he looks like he sat in the sun for too long and it muddles his face up with wrinkles. I also think some, though not many of the animations are a bit stiff, like the feeling of clambering onto things when you jump from place to place. The game does glitch, but there aren't many that lessen the experience to any meaningful degree. The worst so far was one where I was talking to a Kett hunter, and his base was right next to another base with Kett in it, as I was talking to him the Kett came behind me at the open door and shot me, killing me in the process of talking to the hunter. I died and I couldn't load or do anything so I had to quit and load the game back up.

Another is that the loading times of things can be messed up. I was at Peebee's door on the Tempest, where the escape pod is, just holding forward so I can immediately walk into the door once it loads and opens when it opened, I walked off a cliff into the abyss and it loaded me back into it like when you fall off a cliff in the open areas of the game. Once, PeeBee's door didn't even open! It was kind of funny, to be honest, making me wonder what she could be doing in there, haha. Otherwise, I haven't had anything that lessened the experience. The combat is better than the previous Mass Effect game just in terms of shooting and maneuverability, as well as just how big the playfield is that you can fight in. The right set of weapons and powers makes it even better. Story wise, there have been things where I wasn't sure if I liked or not, but it either turned out to answer what I questioned, or I decided that it's actually negligible.

This game is really great to me. I'd say 'so far', but that might be too late, and I'm all in on it. I'd go so far to say despite its issues, and I believe there are a few more here than other great games this year, this may be my favorite of all so far.

Edit - Something that does bother me, however, is that the game has a delay in dialogue sometimes, heck, often. You can read the subtitles before you hear a reaction. It's not good when Ryder says one thing, and then Drack as an example says something about the same subject in response five seconds after. It always makes me think that the dialogue will just not even register, so all I'll get is subtitles. Also, it always sucks when games have a conversation going, but the exploration takes priority so even if someone is talking to you about a mission or your squadmates have a back and forth banter, if you come upon something in the environment like a bandit camp, Ryder will interrupt and simply mention that there's a bandit camp ahead.

It's also annoying when some NPC's say the same thing over, and over. I don't care as much when you're on the Nexus and you walk by an NPC that says the same thing again, or even two characters saying the same thing as if Bioware placed a few sets of the same character(s) around the world (that is dumb, though), but it worse when you're fighting someone and they say the same quip. Just recently I was going after a gang leader, and after every kill, he would say the same thing. It has only happened several times, normal enemies don't seem to say much. At least there hasn't been that thing where your character or others are reminding you of what to do again and again.

Okay, I feel I've said my piece. I think there are less than a lot but more than enough negligible issues that for me, don't add up to worsen the great experience I'm having with it.

Edit 2 - Damn. Nope, the Nomad breaking down is a side thing. Be aware.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

It's also annoying when some NPC's say the same thing over, and over. I don't care as much when you're on the Nexus and you walk by an NPC that says the same thing again, or even two characters saying the same thing as if Bioware placed a few sets of the same character(s) around the world (that is dumb, though), but it worse when you're fighting someone and they say the same quip. Just recently I was going after a gang leader, and after every kill, he would say the same thing. It has only happened several times, normal enemies don't seem to say much. At least there hasn't been that thing where your character or others are reminding you of what to do again and again.

On that point - fuck SAM.

"Pathfinder, the temperature is below freezing and continuing to fall."

"Pathfinder, I am reading normal temperatures."

"Pathfinder, temperatures are below acceptable limits."

"Pathfinder, temperatures are within normal limits. Life support at 100%."

"Pathfinder, the temperature is below freezing and continuing to fall."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.