Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Game Awards trailer

• 179 results
    mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

The game play looks like it will be similar combat to ME2/ME3 but with exploring planets and crafting. Some of the open world stuff reminds me of the planets you could explore in ME1 in the Mako except the planets look much nicer and the Nomad probably handles better.

Personally I'm excited for the game.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By coolarman

I am way more interested in this game now than I was before this trailer.

edit: Also I hope this game has really awful dance animations for your character.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope it's actually viable to play the game the way they did in this video (namely, not just sitting behind cover and waiting for shields to recharge 90% of the time). It looks way more fun than the previous games, at any rate.

Also they still can't animate a good run cycle god dammit.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WarlordPayne

@teddie: Not all classes had to spend much time behind cover in ME2 and 3. The class in this trailer appears to be a Vanguard based on the biotic charge and they were almost never hiding, especially in 3.

I just watched an IGN video earlier today where they said they were taking cues from ME3 multiplayer combat for the singleplayer in Andromeda, aiming for having a player only taking cover for tactical reasons.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good, Bioware still can't animate dialogue sequences for shit but they're slowly improving and I can suspend my disbelief once again. Combat looks a lot more mobile which is great and they demoed my favourite class with what seems to be a dodge move which is exciting.

Things that have me concerned is the crafting and fighting alien wildlife for materials. These are the last things I want to be doing in an ME game and they bring over grave concerns based on how these exact things worked in DA:I i.e. terribly. Also all intelligent lifeforms shown in that gameplay were the exact same races from the last trilogy which isn't great. I hope they expand their lore and add new races rather than recycle and rely on all the ones they've already established.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah ... I'll take one. Preferably NOW!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@ivdamke said:

Looks good, Bioware still can't animate dialogue sequences for shit but they're slowly improving and I can suspend my disbelief once again. Combat looks a lot more mobile which is great and they demoed my favourite class with what seems to be a dodge move which is exciting.

Things that have me concerned is the crafting and fighting alien wildlife for materials. These are the last things I want to be doing in an ME game and they bring over grave concerns based on how these exact things worked in DA:I i.e. terribly. Also all intelligent lifeforms shown in that gameplay were the exact same races from the last trilogy which isn't great. I hope they expand their lore and add new races rather than recycle and rely on all the ones they've already established.

Actually, there were shots of a new race in that video.

No Caption Provided

We don't know what these guys are called, but they may be the "Angara" that were mentioned at one point in the video. We also know the "Kett" will be another new race, primarily antagonists that see the Milky Way races as invaders. I'd be surprised if there weren't a bunch more than these two. It's also been confirmed that there will be at least one individual of a new species as a squadmate.

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/795680632127049732

Another dev also tweeted something a few weeks ago about how when the expedition first arrives, understanding the new races will be a barrier. Presumably it will take some time for everyone's real-time translators to be updated with the languages of the new species'.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Ah cool, watched the video a couple times and totally missed them. They look neat too look a bit old star wars esque.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Atwa

I am very, very disappointed that the same low quality animation from Dragon Age Inquisition seems to be intact in this game. Also saw resource gathering from Inquisition, which was just bad.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xrqGlpLk52oMx2/source.gif I mean, seriously? Look at her facial animation in the start, and that disarm animation is so bad.

Gameplay looks fun, I am just afraid the structure will be too similar to Inquisition, because I won't have much interest then.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the game introduces itself as you being one of the ark's Pathfinders searching for habitable planets for the survival of the human race (and potentially the other races as well, though they probably have their own pathfinders). But looking at this trailer, we get introduced to planets with already buzzing hubs of civilization with human leaders among other things. So.. people have already colonized new planets. Doesn't that sort of make the Pathfinder job somewhat redundant? On some level I understand that it might be hard for them to make the game fun if all planets were No Man's Sky empty. But at the same time, unless they are really good at justifying this in the fiction, this seems like it's breaking their own fiction.

Other than that, it looks like they, as they often do, used a vanguard-esque class to show off the combat. As someone that played Infiltrator I'm hoping to see more of the other classes going forward because shotguns and superman punches are not really my Mass Effect cup of tea. But I agree with some that says the whole game has a very Inquisition-vibe to it.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty stoked about the dodge move until she dodged twice and still got caught by that one enemy.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm kinda getting Vanquish vibes from the combat gameplay, which is a very pleasant surprise. Biotic charge plus rocket dashing and stuff? So into it.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That gun disarm animation during the conversation really is something else. At least you know you're watching the real deal.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I'm ready. Sign me up. Just give me the Mass Effect already.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Works for me. Looks like they made another Mass Effect game, threw in DA:I's crafting system, maybe made a few other tweaks, and that's it. But that works for me, I love Mass Effect (even if 3 had some problems, beyond just the ending). I just hope there remains more plot emphasis than DA:I had, but its different development teams, so I'm not too worried.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat looked pretty fun but those character interactions at the beginning seemed bad and poorly performed. And since the story and characters are the things I like about mass effect, this makes me a little nervous. Also why are there a bunch of old alien species? Isn't the whole point that you are in a new galaxy? I was hoping to see some new stuff. I hope it ends up great!

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

I am very, very disappointed that the same low quality animation from Dragon Age Inquisition seems to be intact in this game. Also saw resource gathering from Inquisition, which was just bad.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xrqGlpLk52oMx2/source.gif I mean, seriously? Look at her facial animation in the start, and that disarm animation is so bad.

Gameplay looks fun, I am just afraid the structure will be too similar to Inquisition, because I won't have much interest then.

Everything about that scene looks absolutely terrible.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get why people might like this combat, but it seems way off for a Mass Effect game. The franchise is supposed to be an RPG shooter, but this seems way more like some arcade/arena-style combat to me. Is leveling, loot and character progression even gonna be a important part of this game ? or is it just relegated to a "be x level to do damage" situation ?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Looks really hot. Yeah a few janky looking things in dialogue and stuff but the worlds look beautiful. Combat looks way more interesting. They have some straight up Witcher 3 inspiration from the scanning deal looks like.

@ares42 said:

I get why people might like this combat, but it seems way off for a Mass Effect game. The franchise is supposed to be an RPG shooter, but this seems way more like some arcade/arena-style combat to me. Is leveling, loot and character progression even gonna be a important part of this game ? or is it just relegated to a "be x level to do damage" situation ?

It's not a linear, cramped, completely cover based shooter you mean? Good.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ivdamke

@ares42: They abandoned all pretense of making it an RPG shooter when they released ME2. Leveling, loot and character progression has never been the ME franchises strong suit anyway if anything the more open nature of this game will put more emphasis on those aspects.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The combat looked good but that's honestly the thing I care the least about in Mass Effect. I was hoping to see more of the dialogue system at work. Also that combat UI looks really ugly to me. It might just be the color scheme though

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Honestly the trailer did nothing for me if not lessened my excitement. Still getting the game day one as it's been years since ME3 so I'm ready for more. I will be playing on PC so I can just cheat engine the survival bullshit that I don't want to deal with so that stuff didn't bother me

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By LawGamer

Is it just my headphones, or was the mix on that trailer really bad? I had a very hard time hearing what the characters were saying.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ivdamke said:

@ares42: They abandoned all pretense of making it an RPG shooter when they released ME2. Leveling, loot and character progression has never been the ME franchises strong suit anyway if anything the more open nature of this game will put more emphasis on those aspects.

From everything they have showed it is vastly more of an RPG in all those mechanical aspects than 2 was for sure, 3 as well. Looks like it is more in line with ME 1. And of course a lot of DA:I comparisons to be drawn.

@lawgamer said:

Is it just my headphones, or was the mix on that trailer really bad? I had a very hard time hearing what the characters were saying.

It was weird for me as well.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, I identify as a part explorer, part soldier, part guide.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't look like the game I want. All the mystique of going to a new galaxy looks non-existent and it doesn't look any different from the previous Mass Effect games. I understand some people want that, and that's fine, but this is the same problem I had with Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 — it's just the same game as its predecessor instead of an evolution.

I'll still get this game though since I'm starved for space games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It looks good but it also looks to be continuing the trend of "more Mass Effect" rather than a revolution in gameplay.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who loved the trilogy buy thought that they were being disconcertingly quiet about this game...that trailer looked dang good. This might actually end up being awesome.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

As someone who loved the trilogy buy thought that they were being disconcertingly quiet about this game...that trailer looked dang good. This might actually end up being awesome.

This

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

It looks good but it also looks to be continuing the trend of "more Mass Effect" rather than a revolution in gameplay.

Revolution is perhaps fair but I think this does look a lot different in gameplay. 2 and 3 were hardly RPGs. That can't be overstated.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stryker1121

I'm hoping for more exploration in this game to go along with the combat arena stuff. I realize they're not going to show long clips of the Mako, er, Nomad trundling along a planet, but I want to do more in this game than blow shit up real good.

For those worried about the facial animations in that dialogue scene, Bioware says it's polishing that stuff up fwiw.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Based on what little we've seen, the combat to me looks a bit too fast-paced and chaotic, but I hope it turns out to be fun. I might be on the minority, but I rarely found the character progression in these games to be especially rewarding, so I would be totally okay with a streamlined – and hopefully, more meaningful – upgrade system. I'm slightly more interested in this after seeing the trailer.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but I want to do more in this game than blow shit up real good.

Yes, please.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stryker1121 said:

but I want to do more in this game than blow shit up real good.

Yes, please.

I'm guessing the gameplay loop will be similar to DA:I, which had some exploration to go with the resource finding. We shall see.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

I get that not everyone has been following the development super closely, but I've seen a lot of people with this concern and it seems crazy to me. Everything we know about Andromeda points to it being the most RPG of any game in the series.

Firstly, it's bringing back features not seen since Mass Effect 1 like an actual inventory, open environments instead of exclusively linear levels, and expansive stat driven gear options. It's also going further than even the first game did, with crafting mechanics, a less restrictive class system that allows for a wider variety of builds, and the abandonment of paragon/renegade alignment to allow you to actually role play without being beholden to one path or the other.

Obviously the combat is going to be closer to ME3 than ME1, but ME1 combat was passable at best and ME3 combat was actually good. Having good action based combat doesn't automatically mean there can't be RPG systems in the game as well.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@militantfreudian said:

Based on what little we've seen, the combat to me looks a bit too fast-paced and chaotic, but I hope it turns out to be fun. I might be on the minority, but I rarely found the character progression in these games to be especially rewarding, so I would be totally okay with a streamlined – and hopefully, more meaningful – upgrade system. I'm slightly more interested in this after seeing the trailer.

To be fair, the majority of the combat seen in the trailer saw the player using a vanguard build, and vanguard was nearly that fast paced and chaotic even in the previous games.

Loading Video...

We saw a glimpse of the tactical cloak in the Andromeda trailer, so we know that is returning. One would assume a more methodical sniper/infiltrator playstyle will also be viable.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cmblasko

The combat looks bad to me, but ME3 multiplayer looked bad as well and ended up being pretty fun so maybe this is a similar case. Dialog in general seems to have gotten worse in Bioware games over the past few years and what they showed here doesn't seem to be much different. I don't know, I want to be hyped for a new Mass Effect but this isn't doing it for me.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Man that trailer was awesome for me. Glad to see the Krogan came along even if they probably stowed away.

@pezen said:

So the game introduces itself as you being one of the ark's Pathfinders searching for habitable planets for the survival of the human race (and potentially the other races as well, though they probably have their own pathfinders). But looking at this trailer, we get introduced to planets with already buzzing hubs of civilization with human leaders among other things. So.. people have already colonized new planets. Doesn't that sort of make the Pathfinder job somewhat redundant? On some level I understand that it might be hard for them to make the game fun if all planets were No Man's Sky empty. But at the same time, unless they are really good at justifying this in the fiction, this seems like it's breaking their own fiction.

Other than that, it looks like they, as they often do, used a vanguard-esque class to show off the combat. As someone that played Infiltrator I'm hoping to see more of the other classes going forward because shotguns and superman punches are not really my Mass Effect cup of tea. But I agree with some that says the whole game has a very Inquisition-vibe to it.

There are no classes in this game. As you level up you pick your abilities and aren't limited in anyway from what abilities you can pick. So if you want to play a vanguard you'll pick a mix of "soldier" and "biotic" skills. Or you can a be an Infilitrator that has the vanguard dash ability. Making your classes feel more like the MP classes from ME3 than a standard class.

That music was no doubt my favorite part of the trailer.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

I get that not everyone has been following the development super closely, but I've seen a lot of people with this concern and it seems crazy to me. Everything we know about Andromeda points to it being the most RPG of any game in the series.

Firstly, it's bringing back features not seen since Mass Effect 1 like an actual inventory, open environments instead of exclusively linear levels, and expansive stat driven gear options. It's also going further than even the first game did, with crafting mechanics, a less restrictive class system that allows for a wider variety of builds, and the abandonment of paragon/renegade alignment to allow you to actually role play without being beholden to one path or the other.

Obviously the combat is going to be closer to ME3 than ME1, but ME1 combat was passable at best and ME3 combat was actually good. Having good action based combat doesn't automatically mean there can't be RPG systems in the game as well.

Agreed, Andromeda looks like it's bring some stuff back from ME1 but with big improvements. I'm playing through ME1 at the moment and I still like it a lot but it had some big flaws. Parts of the combat just don't feel right like the grenades and your team members get in the way. I get people wanting deep RPG stuff but changing the combat in ME2 was for the best.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@zirilius said:

Man that trailer was awesome for me. Glad to see the Krogan came along even if they probably stowed away.

@pezen said:

There are no classes in this game. As you level up you pick your abilities and aren't limited in anyway from what abilities you can pick. So if you want to play a vanguard you'll pick a mix of "soldier" and "biotic" skills. Or you can a be an Infilitrator that has the vanguard dash ability. Making your classes feel more like the MP classes from ME3 than a standard class.

That music was no doubt my favorite part of the trailer.

You are correct, but there is still the concept of specializing in a specific build. If you build your character by going full biotic, for example, at some point you'll unlock the "adept" specialization which will give you bonuses for committing to that build. All six of the existing classes are present as specializations, as well as a seventh class called "explorer" if you spec your character with a little bit of everything.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far it looks like ME3 crossed with DA:I. I think I might wait and see for this one. Bioware hasn't exactly endeared themselves towards me in recent years.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By Humanity

@artisanbreads: I honestly didn't see that much difference in gameplay either. You got your left and right power - those moves were very reminiscent of the multiplayer from ME3. The one new thing I saw, and a welcome change, is what looked like a more robust inventory system.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, more Mass Effect is awesome as I'm fond of that series. I'm just concerned as I've recently played a few games that followed the "more of the same" formula (notably Mankind Divided) and the games while good, fail to have that impact their predecessors did. I like to be wowed and excited when playing rather than going through the motions of instantly recognizable gameplay.

HerrHeimlich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know weirdly enough is that I want Andromeda more for... the co op multiplayer from Mass Effect 3. It was well done with all its classes/races with weapon/skill customization and they supported it with a great deal of free content. I dumped 200 hours into the multiplayer and enjoyed it. The only bad thing I felt was the terrible microtransaction and rng from the loot boxes.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know weirdly enough is that I want Andromeda more for... the co op multiplayer from Mass Effect 3. It was well done with all its classes/races with weapon/skill customization and they supported it with a great deal of free content. I dumped 200 hours into the multiplayer and enjoyed it. The only bad thing I felt was the terrible microtransaction and rng from the loot boxes.

I wouldn't say it's the thing I'm most looking forward to, but I'm right there with in being excited for Andromeda's multiplayer.

A really positive improvement they announced is that there will be an in-game store where you can buy specific items with in-game currency with stock that rotates on a regular basis. Not everything will be available all the time, but the simple ability to buy specific items rather than having to solely rely on RNG is a great addition. Obviously the RNG loot crates will still be there, but having other options will be a big improvement.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game looks wayyyy more open than the previous games! It looks more naturally structured than the previous games where the "towns" and "dungeons" look/feel more naturally put together or at least less fragmented and corridor-like.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What's with FemShep's derp face?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: Classes or no makes little difference to my observation since their character was very Vanguard-esque using a dash along with a shotgun. But I'm glad the game is a little more open in this regard though.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was happy that I saw the main character doing Vanguard stuff.

My husband was happy that the montage of powers/skills showed the protagonist going invisible and then sniping.

So that's both of our classes at least hinted at being in the game, with changes I would assume of course.

Overall I am cautiously optimistic. Love Mass Effect but some of the graphics looked janky, especially in the talky bits they showed. But the combat looked fun and the idea that you have this big galaxy to explore is definitely a big seller to me. I may not be excited enough to preorder it or anything, but it looks like something I will devote a lot of time too.

I can't be any more effusive than that, considering how little I've seen of it at this point.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShadyPingu

I was surprised that ramshackle pirate town just had a bunch of turians, humans and krogan running around. Aren't we, like, just getting there?

I'm sure they'll contextualize it in the game, but I hope that in their efforts to draw people back in with the familiar, they don't squander an opportunity. This is a whole new galaxy, we should be discovering entirely new aliens' social dynamics instead of just adapting the old ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.