Mass Effect: Andromeda multiplayer - Now featuring an hour of multiplayer gameplay

#1 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

[March 15th edit] IGN played multiplayer for an hour today. You can watch the video below:

Original thread:

Whoever mixed the sound for this video should be slapped--very hard to hear the developers and interviewer talking over the stupidly loud music--but we finally have some decent video of multiplayer. Of all the ways for BioWare to first allow the world to see multiplayer, a you tube channel with just over 50,000 subscribers isn't what I would have expected, but here were are.

For those who haven't heard, yes, there will be multiplayer in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and yes, it will be quite a bit like Mass Effect 3. Co-op gameplay, waves of enemies, lots of loot, unlockable character classes, and FREE DLC supported by the optional purchase of loot boxes. It's a great system. I played ME3 multiplayer for over 100 hours, never bought any loot boxes, and never felt like I was at a disadvantage.

Best of all, as I've said before, EA is very incentivized to make ME:A multiplayer a mode that people greatly enjoy playing. ME3 multiplayer was the best horde mode I've ever played, and I can only hope this will be a worthy successor.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
#2 Edited by militantfreudian (525 posts) -

Out of curiosity, what was it about Mass Effect 3's multiplayer that made people play it for hundreds of hours? Was it a thing that you needed to play with friends to appreciate, or was it enjoyable even with random people? Anyway, I hope the combat is as fun as it looks to be.

I read somewhere that there's a similar system to Inquisition's war table, whereby you send teams on timed missions for single-player resources or rewards. I believe they said that this would be an alternative way of completing the multiplayer missions.

#3 Posted by dagas (3482 posts) -

I never wanted MP in ME but I ended up loving it in ME3. I never felt I had to invest in loot boxes and the maps where free and the gameplay was fun.

#4 Posted by IVDAMKE (1416 posts) -

Was never interested in ME3 multiplayer and I'm glad they're considering the people who didn't give a shit about it this time around. I did give the multi a try but I just in general don't like horde modes at all.

With that in mind it's a shame they didn't try to do anything new in terms of the overall structure this time around. Unless they just haven't divulged it, coop based missions or open world exploration stuff could've had potential. If they just rest on the small arena based horde mode again I feel like that's a missed opportunity.

Like as @militantfreudiansaid, if they're doing war table stuff that could've been an awesome way to have asynchronous multiplayer. A player in singleplayer could designate missions on the galaxy map which would then make those available for people in multiplayer to do getting both players combined rewards etc. There's a big rabbit hole of things that could be done with that which would've been cool I think.

I'll still try this because the combat in ME:A looks like a lot of fun and the jump jet could make horde mode stuff a bit more varied in terms of level design and enemy types.

#5 Edited by militantfreudian (525 posts) -

@ivdamke: Based on what I read, it doesn't seem nearly as inventive as you might like. My understanding is that there are two types of missions: single-player only missions that you send strike teams to complete, and single-player or multiplayer missions that you can either send strike teams to complete or play through yourself for additional multiplayer-only rewards. It seems like you need to build different strike teams, which gain positive or negative perks based on whether they fail or succeed in a mission. I also think that at least some – if not all – the missions expire in real-time.

#6 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (362 posts) -

@militantfreudian: It was a mix of horde mode and basically Overwatch. You could play as a Krogen, Turian, Geth, etc each with their own abilities. It was actually one of the first games on console to use the Loot Box system and all extra content was free. It was more Mass Effect in a cooperative environment.

It is playable at PAX this weekend, so hopefully we will get more footage of it.

#7 Edited by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@militantfreudian: randoms could get frustrating but after a while i could damn near solo all but the highest difficulty(only couldnt do to one shot enemies). Im not exactly sure what made it so fun but maybe just the combo of decent shooting and playing in a story universe i was invested in. Also the missions were varied enough with different objectives and enemy spawns to keep things from getting monotonous, and they had a wide arrange of classes to chose from. Salarian infiltrator with cloak and black widow was too good

edit: console version looks a bit rough, not sure if they are using slow motion to mask slow down, or that is the actual slow down lol.

#8 Posted by nickhead (1097 posts) -

Out of curiosity, what was it about Mass Effect 3's multiplayer that made people play it for hundreds for hours? Was it a thing that you needed to play with friends to appreciate, or was it enjoyable even with random people? Anyway, I hope the combat is as fun as it looks to be.

I read somewhere that there's a similar system to Inquisition's war table, whereby you send teams on timed missions for single-player resources or rewards. I believe they said that this would be an alternative way of completing the multiplayer missions.

Playing it with friends was a big draw for me, but also the variability in characters to play as was crazy fun. I thought ME3 was the best playing of the series (even though the cover system could still be weird and sticky at times) so that plus all the different types of classes and builds to experiment with provided a lot of entertainment. The loot boxes were actually fun to pursue too, because there were a lot of different weapons that were also fun to experiment with. All of this on top of some very challenging maps on the highest difficulty that we just wanted to conquer over and over.

#9 Posted by LawGamer (1300 posts) -

Meh. I will probably never touch it. I didn't enjoy ME3's or DA:I's multiplayer at all. Too repetitive and matches took way too long to complete.

I'm also skeptical about the "not required for singleplayer" line. Because that's exactly the same thing they said about ME3 and we all know how that turned out. It also seems slightly contradictory to what they said later on in the video with the MP dude being an NPC at the single-player hub. Now maybe he'll just function as a way to get into the MP menu from within SP, which would be fine. But then again, I could easily see them trying to attach story elements too it as a way to bait you into the MP. And that would be lame.

I would also be concerned about the prestige stuff from a balance standpoint. I wonder how matchmaking is going to work with that. I wouldn't want to be in a position where I choose to try a different class and feel useless or underpowered because I'm playing with a bunch of people who have only used one class, exclusively, and have some crazy high stat bonuses.

#10 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@lawgamer said:

Meh. I will probably never touch it. I didn't enjoy ME3's or DA:I's multiplayer at all. Too repetitive and matches took way too long to complete.

I'm also skeptical about the "not required for singleplayer" line. Because that's exactly the same thing they said about ME3 and we all know how that turned out. I

How it turned out? I beat 3 and got the "good endings" before i even touched multiplayer?

#11 Posted by ArtisanBreads (8074 posts) -

@lawgamer said:

I'm also skeptical about the "not required for singleplayer" line. Because that's exactly the same thing they said about ME3 and we all know how that turned out. I

How it turned out? I beat 3 and got the "good endings" before i even touched multiplayer?

Same. Easily. Like with 2 I was annoyed how trivial the consequences were for the doomsday scenario they were presenting.

#12 Posted by Quarters (2591 posts) -

Looks like something pretty similar to ME3, which was a fun MP, so I can't complain. Might mess with it here and there, but I'm still coming for SP.

#13 Posted by Undeadpool (5896 posts) -

Out of curiosity, what was it about Mass Effect 3's multiplayer that made people play it for hundreds for hours? Was it a thing that you needed to play with friends to appreciate, or was it enjoyable even with random people? Anyway, I hope the combat is as fun as it looks to be.

ME3's multiplayer was great with randos OR with friends (I had a roommate at the time who fell DEEP into it, and it was a genuine blast shouting across the apartment to one another) because of what OP mentions: you're rarely, truly at a "disadvantage." Since everyone's working together, if you're underpowered or have meh equipment, it doesn't REALLY matter. If you're playing well, no one but the biggest of assholes are going to get angry/rage at you, and if they do, THEY'RE more likely to get kicked than you.

The fact that it was 100% PvE took a lot of the edge off of what normally happens (that ONE guy on an Overwatch team bitching that everyone ELSE is screwing up, for instance) and it seemingly became a lot more about fun than "competition." I couldn't remember anyone ever caring about their team rank except in the highest levels of play (my roommate, for instance, actually wound up in the top 100 players and even THEN, it wasn't really a thing if you had a bad run).

There was much more a sense of community. As for the game itself: it was a totally competent 3rd person shooter with a lot of little differences between character classes. The 100% free DLC helped keep things fresh with some truly unique characters eventually making their way in (especially the last run where you can tell the devs just went NUTS) and even introducing a whole new enemy faction. As a package: it was really good for dropping in for 1-2 games or losing a whole evening to.

#14 Edited by KirkyX (275 posts) -

@lawgamer: The way that dude's menu works if you don't want to play MP is pretty simple, really. Basically, you can assemble AI strike teams to do the MP missions for you, and if they succeed, you'll get all the singleplayer rewards - basically just boxes of resources and credits, so far as I can tell - you would have if you'd done the mission yourself in multiplayer. They'll take a certain amount of real-world time to complete each mission, with their chances of success/failure determined by how experienced they are.

It's nothing like pre-patch ME3, where you couldn't get certain endings - the Shepard breath scene, basically - without playing MP, or using the mobile app or whatever. For one thing, there's a way to get SP-applicable MP rewards without playing MP, and for another, there's no 'war assets' equivalent feeding into the story/ending.

#15 Posted by IVDAMKE (1416 posts) -

@militantfreudian: Yea, I assumed as much. I just wish developers would try break out of the same rote multiplayer structures we've seen 100x over by now. When Demons Souls introduced its invasion system it made such a big difference to single/multi interaction for me in such a cool way. Mass Effect and even Dragon Age have both had the potential to do something cool like that, but they just seem to play it safe and do whats already been done to death.

#16 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

@militantfreudian said:

Out of curiosity, what was it about Mass Effect 3's multiplayer that made people play it for hundreds of hours? Was it a thing that you needed to play with friends to appreciate, or was it enjoyable even with random people? Anyway, I hope the combat is as fun as it looks to be.

To answer your first question, the thing about ME3 multiplayer was the addictive gameplay loop. You start off fighting bronze difficulty enemies with starter classes using basic powers and weapons. As you play, your character powers increase, you unlock better weapons, and eventually you unlock new character classes. Bronze will get you a small amount of credits, that will let you randomly unlock some basic weapon attachments and maybe a new class now and then.

Your character powers go up as you use each character, but are limited by a level cap. This means that how you build each character is different. Even with the exact same class, one player might spec for devastating single target powers and long power cool downs, while another might focus more on area of effect powers that let them quickly deal with weaker mobs. And just as in the ME campaigns, teammates can combine their powers for biotic and tech combos, making teamwork highly rewarding.

As you and your teammates become more powerful, you'll then move on to silver and gold difficulties, where you can earn far more credits in much less time. Doing so allows you to spend those credits on higher level loot boxes, which gives you a higher chance of unlocking a rare weapon or class.

That brings me to the answer of your second question. It depends. For a new player with hardly any gear and an underpowered character, you'll likely meet random players on bronze or silver who will carry you--or you and a friend--so no worries there. Once I was familiar with the game and properly geared, I'd be happy to play a silver match with just a friend or two, while we were either matched with good players, or we carried the randoms. Going in solo wasn't bad either, as long as you get matched with good players. Once we were playing gold difficulty, I pretty much only wanted to play with either a full team, or two friends and only one random player.

But there's no real cost associated with losing a match, other than your time investment and any consumables you used. If by wave 6 you had a good feeling that you were with a good group, you might want to use that rocket launcher. If your teammates were making stupid mistakes at wave 3, you might want to save your consumables for a better group that had more of a chance of making it to and past the evacuation wave. The real reward always required extraction. Anything else was a failed attempt, and a handful of credits and XP for your trouble. This is why it made more sense to finish a silver match, rather than die at wave 9 of a gold match.

The nice thing is that loot in ME3 multiplayer really felt like a reward for the investment of your time and effort, which made the game always worth coming back to. New weapons and classes could completely change the gameplay, and new classes would be best tested out on lower difficulty levels, which kept a healthy population of all players across all difficulties. It was a really well-designed mode, and I can only hope ME:A multiplayer can live up to it.

#17 Posted by Marz (6016 posts) -

i did like mass effect 3 horde mode for what it was... it's a short burst of fun, but i couldn't play it for months like some people.

#18 Posted by DanishingAct (162 posts) -

Can't wait to get in on that mp.

#19 Posted by militantfreudian (525 posts) -

Ah, I see. I actually haven't played the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 past the beta. I've always enjoyed the combat in these games (despite its obvious shortcomings), so I can see that I probably would've enjoyed it. Hopefully, the multiplayer in Andromeda turns out to be as good as it was Mass Effect 3.

Thanks @iigrayfoxii, @oursin_360, @nickhead, @undeadpool and @spaceinsomniac for the detailed answers!

And yeah, I found this reddit thread with a bunch of information about how the multiplayer works in this game.

#20 Posted by csl316 (13913 posts) -

I'm guessing if I play a multiplayer game throughout the middle of this year, Mass Effect might be my game of choice. 3 was super, super fun.

#21 Posted by TheHT (14303 posts) -

Free DLC is good to hear! Think I'll pre-order this soon so I can get to pre-loading it whenever it's pre-ready to pre-launch.

And yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed ME3 multiplayer. Only ever played with randoms too and it was consistently a blast. I dunno why people poo-poo playing with randoms as often as I see. Left 4 Dead, FFXIV, Destiny, ME3, practically every co-op (and even most competitive) game that I've played with random co-op partners has much more often than not been perfectly enjoyable.

MOBAs I guess are the exception, but even then it's far lass than the talk of problematic playerbases had led me to believe (mostly speaking to Heroes of the Storm here; DOTA 2 was a bit closer to being as unfriendly as I'd heard when I played it years ago).

Anyways, lookin forward to this. Gonna be weird to play a Mass Effect game on a console (let alone a PS4), but trying to play the multiplayer on my current PC I'm sure will be far too unwieldy.

#22 Posted by Undeadpool (5896 posts) -

@theht: I remember a bunch of cynical tryhards whining about the free DLC since "It's just another trick to get you to buy more chests."

Like...great???

#23 Edited by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@theht: maybe it was playing on 360, but playing with randoms was pretty bad. They all wanted to farm fire base white, theyd like to boot anybody who didn't have a high score or weapon type they preferred, always wanted to play the lower difficulty, and after all that usually ran out and got killed with nobody around. That was a good 70% for me lol

#24 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

@undeadpool said:

@theht: I remember a bunch of cynical tryhards whining about the free DLC since "It's just another trick to get you to buy more chests."

Like...great???

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason the DLC was free in the first place. I still never bought even one chest, let alone "more chests." If only every developer did that. It's a great system.

@oursin_360 said:

@theht: maybe it was playing on 360, but playing with randoms was pretty bad. They all wanted to farm fire base white, theyd like to boot anybody who didn't have a high score or weapon type they preferred, always wanted to play the lower difficulty, and after all that usually ran out and got killed with nobody around. That was a good 70% for me lol

Why play fire base white if you're going to run out and get killed? That's not how you do that. For a while, that was the ultimate map to hold one particular position.

Anyhow, more details are coming out of PAX, and it's looking like the game will be very similar to ME3 multiplayer. One main difference seems to be individual power cool down timers, rather than having a global cool down for all powers. That, and there are now 7 waves including the extraction wave, rather than 10 and extraction. Looks like the same list of consumables will be used, and characters will still have 3 powers each. I think there's also a new "Borderlands 2 Badass Rank" style bonus that increases as you play different classes, and gives you a small boost to all classes. That's a nice touch.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

https://imgur.com/gallery/hMC6l

#25 Edited by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: you would be surprised how many thought you could still camp in that spot after they changed the map, thinking its a safe zone running out, getting killed and then yelling at us for sticking together lmao. After the first week i avoided fire base white because it was boring and wouldnt play the map again until they fixed it and people still thought they could camp in one spot. Smfh.

#26 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

After turning a great PR move into essentially a lie by canceling the promised free multiplayer beta, it only took BioWare up until the day that any reviewer can stream content from the game before actually releasing a trailer for the multiplayer mode. Better late than never, I suppose:

Loading Video...

#27 Posted by dgtlty (589 posts) -

What do the ME3 MP veterans think of the new gameplay? Looks great to me.

#28 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@dgtlty: i am worried about the cover system, but everything else looks pretty good. Also a bit upset that everyone gets a jetpack, i understand why but what made the classes so diverse was often the movement(or lack of). Maybe it will still be a factor but i could see zooming around with a tank a bit op lol.

#29 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

IGN played an hour of multiplayer today. The video has also been added to the original post. I was a big fan of ME3 multiplayer, and this looks like a lot of fun to me.

Loading Video...

#30 Edited by ArtisanBreads (8074 posts) -

This game looks very fun to play. I am excited. I didn't get into ME 3 co-op but I think I will definitely be playing some of this.

#31 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

For anyone who is playing the EA Access version, how are you liking the multiplayer? Did you play ME3 multiplayer, and how does this compare? From the videos, it looks pretty fun, but I thought I'd ask some opinions of people who have been playing it.

#32 Posted by DonChipotle (3387 posts) -

I wound up playing more of the multiplayer in ME3 than the single player.

I suspect that will be the case for Andromeda as well. Like one single player playthrough and then hundreds of hours in multiplayer. Fine by me.

#33 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

For anyone who is playing the EA Access version, how are you liking the multiplayer? Did you play ME3 multiplayer, and how does this compare? From the videos, it looks pretty fun, but I thought I'd ask some opinions of people who have been playing it.

Anyone?

#34 Edited by MrFlibble (130 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: I've been playing the multiplayer and so far think it's pretty great. It's more or less the same as ME3's but with new wave objectives. The new character classes and abilities are good and the jump jet is useful if you get cornered. If you liked ME3 multiplayer you should like it.

Doesn't seem to be a volus character however, hopefully that'll be DLC.

#35 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: I've been playing the multiplayer and so far think it's pretty great. It's more or less the same as ME3's but with new wave objectives. The new character classes and abilities are good and the jump jet is useful if you get cornered. If you liked ME3 multiplayer you should like it.

They'll still make money off of all the free DLC, so you can expect lots of content and fan service. I'll be shocked if most races don't end up in the new multiplayer eventually.

Totalbiscuit is streaming the PC multiplayer right now, and he seems pretty positive about it, especially the new movement system.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

Anyone else here enjoying the multiplayer in the EA Access trial?

#36 Posted by mems1224 (1616 posts) -

@mrflibble said:

They'll still make money off of all the free DLC, so you can expect lots of content and fan service. I'll be shocked if most races don't end up in the new multiplayer eventually.

Totalbiscuit is streaming the PC multiplayer right now, and he seems pretty positive about it, especially the new movement system.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

Anyone else here enjoying the multiplayer in the EA Access trial?

i played a match with i think the asari sentinal and it was really fun zipping around the battlefield. the new movement system is great.

#37 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: Only played a few bronze matches as i am not that familiar with the game yet, and it seems pretty decent so far. I played probably over 500 hours of 3's multiplayer over a year or so and loved it. Only played a human infiltrator so far and it was a bit weird getting used to it, the way the buttons are mapped for powers is pretty bad this time as you only use 2 buttons (left bumper/right bumper) and combine them for a third move, i set that third one to cloak(in single player it is the same with this class) but have no idea how it will work with an active attack power. Probably save it for any aoe or non spammable attack (but in multiplayer i am not sure if it's customizable ) hopefully get in some more matches tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.