Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Three Weeks From Launch, How Hyped Are You?

• 154 results
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Mirado

Poll Three Weeks From Launch, How Hyped Are You? (707 votes)

I think it looks absolutely outstanding and can't wait to get my hands on it ASAP! 15%
    I think it looks pretty great and will probably get it soon after launch. My gripes, if any, are minor. 20%
    I've been up and down, but overall it seems kinda average, not amazing or terrible. 30%
    More worried than excited; the marketing has turned me off, highlighting some real flaws. 20%
    What's wrong with her face??? (the game looks pretty dire/bad/terrible) 15%

Pick whatever's closest to how you feel, on a descending scale of maximum to minimum hype. If the wording bugs you, just treat it as a numbered scale (5 to 1 heading down).

There's been a bit of division in the run up to ME:A's launch, with some people predicting doom, others shaking off all criticism as minor nitpicks, and others landing somewhere in the middle. Where are you at? What have you seen that's made you really excited/really bummed out? Are you getting this day one, or waiting for reviews, or not touching it at all? How did you feel about ME3/DA:I and has that influenced you in any way? Inquiring minds want to know!

• 
    flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not into anything I have seen. I think I am done with Bioware.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zeik

If it wasn't coming smack dab in the middle of Nier: Automata and P5 I'd probably be more hyped. Nothing I've seen suggests I wouldn't enjoy it to some degree, but it's not a priority to play.

I suspect I'll enjoy it more if I distance myself from the inevitable post-launch BS-capade anyway.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SquirrelGOD

As a huge Mass Effect fan, I've got to say that this game hasn't been doing anything for me based on what I've seen. Kind of bummed out by it. That said, I'll probably give it a shot down the road, but there's way too much stuff out/coming out right now for me to be too upset about it.

...But, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with the character designs this time around?

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By noval

I'm a pretty big Mass Effect fan but yeah there's sooo much stuff coming out I'm just not sure. Gonna wait to see what the reviews look like and then decide.

I gotta say though, what is everyone on about with the faces? Maybe I've turned blind and not noticed but they all look pretty regular Mass Effect-ish to me.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dr_monocle

Mass Effect is probably my favorite game universe so I'm pretty damned excited. And I'm a sucker for anything remotely space related. And it comes out two days before my birthday!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mems1224

Getting it day 1 but not setting my expectations super high

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WynnDuffy

They haven't shown anything interesting about the story or characters, it's just action jackson which is one of the reasons I didn't like ME3 and now they've added a ton of open world stuff every other game is doing.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll admit, I don't really care about the story, I just wanna shoot things, with laser guns, and ID which characters a voiced by Jennifer Hale.

I'm easy to please.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super stoked. Love Bioware and think they get way too much shit. Even Dragon Age II, which most people think pretty poorly of (mostly cause of hive mentality I think, but let's not get into that) stands as one of my favorite games of the last generation of consoles. Actually playing through Inquisition at the time. Figured it was a good way to pass the time while waiting for Andromeda, while at the same time setting up that perfect save for the inevitable Dragon Age 4.

Also, that gameplay that Brad showed off looked fucking dope.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not necessary hyped for the game, but i can see it being a fun game. I think it will be similar in quality to Horizon. Some will say it's amazing, while others just see the same game that they've played before.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play it, I played the other ones. I haven't actually been following it at all though, like the other ones, the only thing that's gonna keep me from playing it is a lot of bad reviews.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went with 4. It doesn't look outstanding me. But I think it looks good, with a chance of being great, and I'm definitely getting it Day 1.

I had some issues with ME3 beyond just the ending, but overall I found playing that to be a very rewarding experience. And I also had issues with DA:I, but I still sunk over 100 hours into it, beat it twice, and was happy to have played it. I don't expect ME:A to be perfect, and I do expect I'll have some issues with it as well, but thus far there hasn't been a Bioware game I haven't been glad to have played.

Except playing KOTOR for the first time 12 years after its release; it does not hold up if you don't already have fond memories of it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Wemibelle

The combination of my distaste with the feel of the shooting in Mass Effect 3 and my complete annoyance with the gameplay in Inquisition--plus seeing some of the gameplay videos--has me a bit worried. Bioware's last few games haven't given me very much confidence in their development abilities; while their story and character work is still very solid, I don't know if I'm looking forward to another game that I have to slog through just to get to the good stuff.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MezZa

My problem isn't with the game. It's with its release date. I know for sure I want to play Zelda, Nier, and Persona. Problem is Mass Effect is right in the middle. I still plan on getting it at release because the Mass Effect trilogy was one of my favorites last gen, but I would be much more excited if it wasn't buried among a pile of awesome looking games.

I can't judge it well from trailers so I'm not going to try and guess the quality. If I'm being honest I came into mass effect when 2 released on the ps3, and going by videos I could not for the life of my see what the big deal was. I couldn't accurately judge Mass Effect 2 with videos, so I'm not going to guess how much I'll enjoy Andromeda until I play it.

bjklein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bjklein

I've played through the first Mass Effect eight times, the sequels three each, read all the graphic novels and books (even Deception...) and the ME universe is my second favourite when it comes to world building and lore (Elder Scrolls, Morrowind is my favourite).

That being said, everything Bioware and EA have released up to this point has shown several flaws and glaring issues that hopefully will be addressed by the time the game comes out. Facial and body animations as well as lip syncing are three things Bioware has never excelled or focused on, so I'm not particularly surprised it's a problem in ME:A. It would be amazing if they did, but I never expected them to have LA Noire, Uncharted or Last of Us quality animations.

A.I. is another recurring problem from the trilogy that doesn't seem to have improved based on the footage I've seen so far. Squad and enemies standing out in the open on several occasions, A Kett jumped over the same piece of cover twice for no apparent reason, enemies are tracking Ryder, but do not shoot in several instances, the fiends lazily lumbering around while Ryder unloads shot after shot on them. All of that is based on just half an hour of gameplay. I'm hoping it's a case of Bioware playing on narrative difficulty, so they can focus on showing off the game. I'm looking forward to Karak's thoughts on this because he's one of the only reviewers that I know of that plays on all difficulties.

An unfortunate decision to remove the option to pause the game and issue commands to squadmates to tell them which ability to use. Fabrice Condominas' explanation for removing it doesn't make a lot of sense.

"We decided to be way more dynamic and globally have much faster combat - you have the jump now, and the areas are more open. We felt like [the power wheel] was slowing down combat - it was an interruption we were trying not to have," he said.

When switching weapons or changing your ability loadouts, the game pauses, so why not keep it in and allow players to decide whether they want to use it or not instead of taking it upon themselves to what they think is best and remove it completely?

From the footage from ign's first look, Peebee ineffectively uses shockwave at targets that are too far out of her range and Drack uses blood rage when there are no remnants nearby to take advantage of the melee damage boost. Is the reason why Bioware decided to allow us to allocate points in any ability in the game because we're supposed to set up and detonate our own tech and biotic combos and not rely on the unimpressive squad ai?

It's quite surprising that ea has given the green light to release some of these videos because they're lacking in polish. Ryder's character model disappearing after boosting and dashing as well as the avenger that is glued to Kalinda's right hand during the in game cut scene are two examples.

Perhaps all of my concerns will be addressed and fixed on the day one patch and ME:A will be an amazing game. I hope it is because Mass Effect is one my favourite series and it would be very disappointing if it's a broken mess. As I do with every game that's released, I'll wait until after reviews and PC performance tests are complete before I decide to play this game.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Redhotchilimist

It looks like it is probably going to be fine, but I don't need to play this right away. I'm worried about their writing, but confident in the gameplay they have shown. Their faces look bad, but their environments look great, so we're on Inquisition level except the shooting looks pretty fun this time. I will absolutely play an open world action-RPG with gameplay that actually feels good. They are rare.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm definitely waiting to see what the word on the street is about this game. From what I've seen it looks merely alright. The character animations look janky as hell, what I've heard about the story sounds like "The Special Defeats Ancient Evil Variation #3451," and the fact that we haven't actually seen much of it outside of the same limited sets of EA approved clips has me worried about the overall quality.

Plus, there are so many really good games coming out right now that unless it's out of this world awesome, I just can't see myself playing it near release. I think I'll still be finishing up Nioh and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Nodima

I can't say that I feel I've seen much about the game and don't feel any of your choices apply to me. I would love to play a new Mass Effect game, but I'm one of those people who loved the combat in Mass Effect 3 and felt let down by so many other facets of that game that by the time the finale came around that was just the cherry on top and far from my biggest complaint with the game. So for me, having also not played Mass Effect as a Playstation player, Mass Effect 2 is the only game in the franchise I truly enjoyed and I don't really hold the reverence for the series those who played and enjoyed 1 as well do.

Because I just bought several games I'm taking a very wait and see approach with this one. I'd love to get back to that universe but I'm not sure Bioware makes great games or fully understands what makes Mass Effect great as a franchise.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OurSin_360

My biggest concern is performance but im cautiously optimistic about the game right now. I am glad they are finally bringing native controllee support to pc so i can play it at 60fps(hopefully). The tone seems to be way more light hearted which could be good or bad,not sure yet. Shooting seems fine so hopefully if the story sucks i can get back into multiplayer.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even remotely. Recently played through 2 and 3 on insanity, enjoyed them a lot, and I don't think I can play Andromeda right now without relentlessly comparing it to those games. Especially if it's not as good.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

In order for me not to enjoy this game at all, BioWare would have to screw up:

1) The overall story.

2) The side stories and loyalty missions.

3) The ending.

4) The characters in your party.

5) The exploration and environments.

6) The combat and overall gameplay in single player.

7 The combat and overall gameplay in multiplayer.

I just can't see that happening. Inquisition is my least favorite BioWare game to date, but I still enjoyed the game, despite me having issues with several things on this list. I hated most of the party characters, I didn't care for the overall story, and I didn't like the multiplayer at all. But I did like a good deal of the side stories and the mystery of the main story until closer to the end. I also liked the environments and combat. It was still a game well worth playing, and still quite enjoyable.

Mass Effect 2, however, nailed every one of these points, aside from multiplayer of course.

I already have my copy pre-ordered, and I doubt I'll be canceling it. If BioWare somehow does screw this up completely, I won't be buying any more of their games at launch. It's that simple. I voted a 4 out of 5, btw.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By n00bs7ay3r

I will be more excited when I am finished with Zelda. Mass Effect is one of my favourite series of all time and I really am looking forward to a new instalment but I don't really have time to think about it with Zelda right around the corner. Also the fact that I purposefully keep myself in the dark about games I know I want to play means I know basically nothing about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bioware hasn't made a good game since Mass Effect 2; I'm not optimistic.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Luchalma

The game has a lot of hate, and most of it is unwarranted, or at least premature. But I can only be too sympathetic to Bioware. They were by far my favorite developer for a long time. But I have either hated or felt meh on every game of thiers for a while now. After the mostly horrible Dragon Age II, I went into Inquisition very very cautiously. And while it wasn't a bad game, I fell off of it. And now after The Witcher 3 I don't think there's any way I could go back to it. Hearing that Andromeda is like an evolution of the Inquisition model has me wondering if I should even bother. So long story short, yes people are being hard on the game, but Bioware really needs to prove people wrong.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I never got into ME and im still busy beating Dragon Age Inquisition.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting it just for the multiplayer. I only got a few hours into the story but I must have dropped 40 hours into that multiplayer mode.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@mems1224 said:

Getting it day 1 but not setting my expectations super high

Same for me.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KirkyX

I'm super stoked for it, but then, I've still yet to play a BioWare game that I didn't ultimately end up enjoying. That's not to say I think they're all perfect - I hated Mass Effect 3's dialogue system, and thought DA: I had way too much filler-y side content - but I've never come away from one wishing I hadn't played it, and a good amount of them number amongst my very favourite games ever. (Including DA2, oddly enough, in spite of all the hate it gets--love that game.)

I've been following along with all the pre-release stuff, and some lingering concerns over there being too much Inquisition-style filler aside - which wouldn't be a deal-breaker or anything; just an unfortunate flaw - I've seen nothing that's worried me, and plenty that's excited me. Since it seems to be the most prevalent concern at the moment - going by the final entry on the poll anyway - I'll just address that the animation stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've certainly seen better lead-character facial animation in games before, but not in anything with face customisation sliders--I mean, Shepard was absolutely notorious last trilogy for wonky facial animations, there's memes and everything. That did nothing to keep ME2 from sitting atop my 'favourite games ever' list for years, and Mass Effect in general from being possibly my most-beloved game franchise of all time, so I don't think it'll have any particular influence on what I end up thinking of Andromeda.

(Also, that 'Oh no, not again...' face Sara makes in the most recent video when the escape pod launches, that people seem to be .giffing derisively? I actually really like it.)

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

All the way hyped! I can barely sit still.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't been this hyped for a new Bioware game in years, count me in!

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm on the fence for sure, especially with Persona 5 coming out a couple weeks later. Origin is doing a early trial of the game starting on the 16th, so I'm just going to shell out 5 bucks or whatever to give it a go.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I never let my expectations get carried away, I don't know why you would. Sure, it can feel good in the moment but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Maybe that's why I never feel disappointed about games and every other forum post on the internet is about how disappointed someone is.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

No interest from me, I just didn't like Dragon Age Inquisition at all.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely getting it. There are things I'm excited about and other things not so much. I'm still concerned it's going to rely too much on just gameplay and characters talking as you run around the environment to further the story. I HATE that trend. But if it's got a ton of story that they just aren't showing (which they very well might), I'll be extremely happy. At the very least, it's very pretty, and I look forward to seeing how it furthers the universe.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really fall into any of these choices. I LOVE Mass Effect. I'm going to get it Day One, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about it, just seems like something is missing

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to want it, but I have yet to beat the first one, let alone 2 and 3.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched one trailer and that's it. If it's a game I know I'm going to buy day one I like to go in as blind as possible. I find that to be helpful in keeping the hype train, and expectations, under control.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about it. They haven't shown or announced anything that I thought was particularly cool and I have a a feeling that it will be a lot of things like"This is your new ship! Definitely not the same as your old ship!", "This is a surly Krogan warrior who joins your team, totally different to any other surly Krogan team mates you may have seen in the past".

Also, that bit where one of the devs was talking about how it's set in a new galaxy and things will be different but they made sure to give the new enemies clothes because they thought people would find naked bad guys too weird... It made me think that this game will be very safe and superficially hew closely to previous mass Effect things. I played mass Effect and thought it was cool even if three was not great. I don't really want the same thing again.

Oh, what's the bet that you get to the end of the first game and find out that there is dome sort of mysterious threat that is going to destroy the galaxy and you are going to save it!

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to get pretty hyped. I'm playing Mass Effect 3 right now, and my biggest complaint is that the combat is kind of boring. It isn't awful, but I like visiting the different worlds and learning about the different races more than combat. The combat in Andromeda looks a lot better, so I'm hoping the characters and planets live up to the other games.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a Bioware game so I'll get it, but I'm not feeling much from the trailers and keep forgetting it's coming out. Their last couple of games have kinda sapped the hype I used to have for them.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By poser

I was. Then I saw the trailers.

Look, it's probably going to be fine... maybe even good, but Bioware used to mean major innovation and quality on the par with giants like Blizzard and Valve.... this just looks like any old video game.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad's video looked good. I'm in.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: For me, it's a couple of things:

Primarily, it's her eyes. A lot of people are complaining that they are too big and "too anime" for their liking, but that isn't what's getting me. For me, it's that the way her eyes animate don't match what's going on with the rest of her face. If you think about a real human being, the mouth and eyes tend to work in tandem to create a facial expression. If you're angry, your eyes narrow while you scowl/snarl. If you're surprised, your eyes widen along with your mouth.

That isn't happening with her model in a lot of the pre-release footage. For example, they've been showing a scene in the trailer where the character is talking with a merc captain or something an fem-Ryder disarms one of the guards. If you watch the footage, her mouth is grimacing like she's angry, but her eyes are still fairly wide open. The end result is that it looks like she's got this gormless smile going on the whole time. It looks weird. And that's hardly the only example. There's a gif going around of the character in some sort of crashing escape pod thing and the same issue comes up. The escape pod starts shaking violently, her mouth moves like she's worried and/or in a bit of pain, but her eyes remain exactly the same the whole time.

The second lesser issue sort of piggybacks on the "anime eyes" issue. As I said before, I honestly don't have a problem with the large eyes per se. Plenty of games make the character's eyes large and expressive so that they "read" better from a distance. A good example of this is Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite. That's perfectly OK as long as that's the style the game is going for. The problem here is the game seems to be trying to split things half and half in a really strange way. Some of the characters (mostly the male characters I've noticed), have realistically proportioned eyes. Other characters, a lot of the lady characters in particular, have the larger, more anime eyes. Not only is it odd that it seems to be pretty gender split, but the end result is that the characters kind of feel like they are from totally different games. The fem-Ryder model isn't the only example of it, but it is the most obvious.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing all the characters they've shown so far are mandatory? As in, i can't replace them all with people i like?
    The best parts of the first game for me were it's Star Trek-esk approach to checking out planets and it's characters, which fed into the whole Star Trek crew visiting planets feel, but with trailers focusing on combat and lackluster characters it's hard to say whether i'd be into it or not.
    I'm sure the gameplay loop is fun enough, is that all we can hope for in a Mass Effect game?

No Caption Provided
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pyrodactyl

None of the responses in there really fit my feelings. The game looks alright but I'm definitely worried. Stunt cast voice acting, a villain that looks straight out of Warframe, weird looking combat. It's all minor but it feels off to me. I'll wait for reviews. There's an avalanche of fantastic games coming out right now and up to april first. I'll be alright if this game turns out bad or mediocre. Hopefully it's fantastic.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The hypest wasn't an option so I just said I need this game ASAP. ME is probably my favorite Sci-fi game franchise and probably close to the top just as a franchise. My body is ready for the story and multiplayer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sick the week it comes out and I've already told my boss in advance.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

There's enough stuff already coming out and my expectations of what Bioware is capable have been lowered enough that I'm definitely not getting this at launch. If it gets good reviews and positive word-of-mouth I could pick it up on sale somewhere down the line, but Dragon Age Inquisition really bummed me out and I don't feel like repeating that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I probably won't get it day1 if for no other reason than we don't know the PC system specs yet. My rig is just getting old enough where I have to pay attention to that.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but the after taste of Dragon Age: Inquisition wasn't great and I haven't see much that looks compelling yet. Kinda looks like More Mass Effect, which is ok but I was hoping for a more significant improvement.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a big fan of the original trilogy on the "more worried than excited" section, but would like to add what's wrong with everyone's faces in this game???

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.