Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Do you use Paragade and Renegon Shepards?

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By greenygrey

I noticed that people often play extremes of the two moraity alignments, but rarely see people trying to mix up the morality and personality of their Shepards. I don't play to one extreme of the morality alignments, it makes just makes Shepard seem predictable and already more one-dimensional than he/she is. That's why I play with Pargade (a mostly Paragon with a fair amount of Renegade points) or a Renegon (A Renegade with a fair of Paragon points), because it allows Shepard to be morally ambiguous and develop a real personality. 

And I know what you're thinking, "But Paragon is good and Renegade is evil". That's not true, because Paragon represents Idealism a.k.a. the Socrates school of philosophy and Renegade represents Pragmatism a.k.a. the Machiavellian "Ends Justify The Means" type of guy. If you're entirely Paragon, it means that you're virtuous and compassionate, but also incredibly naive and short-sighted. If you're entirely Renegade, you're ruthless and maintain a realistic view of the galaxy, but ultimately callous and a complete douchebag. It's why nearly all of my Sheps are Paragades and Renegons, as they can be heroic when it's needed and ruthless when it's necessary. For example, I always save the colonists on Feros and I always agree with Mordin that the genophage was a necessary evil during his loyalty mission.

So, do you create Paragade and Renegon Shepards?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Good argument for not min-maxing, but I go almost all Paragon every time. I'm a boy scout. Can't help it.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By droop

Yeah I always go extremes. Paragon male Shepard and renegade FemShep.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Buscemi

Since I've played both games like four times each I've basically played all styles: paragon, renegade, neutral (BORING) and a hybrid (which really fucks up your game in the second one).

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By hwy_61

FULL RENEGADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, NEVER go male Shepard for full Paragon. That shit is just disturbing.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Aronman789

My first Shep was a Renegade-Paragon mix. It fucked me over though, since I couldn't save Wrex, so I scrapped the whole Hybrid-Shepard thing.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By greenygrey
    @elsuperdonut said:

FULL RENEGADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, NEVER go male Shepard for full Paragon. That shit is just disturbing.

So killing the Colonist on Feros, recruiting a sociopathic Asari, killing the Shiala execution style, leaving the severely injured Salarian and sick Batarian to die isn't disturbing? I don't even want to know how you were raised as a child.
    hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hwy_61

@greenygrey said:

@elsuperdonut said:

So killing the Colonist on Feros, recruiting a sociopathic Asari, killing the Shiala execution style, leaving the severely injured Salarian and sick Batarian to die isn't disturbing? I don't even want to know how you were raised as a child.

LOL. I was referring to the cosmetics of creepy ass male shepard in full paragon.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By greenygrey
    @Aronman789 said:
    My first Shep was a Renegade-Paragon mix. It fucked me over though, since I couldn't save Wrex, so I scrapped the whole Hybrid-Shepard thing.
    Really? I had almost no problem with playing a hybrid of the two morality system in ME2. My suggestion would be never choose any of the nuetral dialog options, because you're often punished for doing so. Then again, the Paragon and Renegade system is complete farce, as I've already stated in my blog. But as far as morality bars go, it's probably the best system to date. However, games like The Witcher 2 and Planescape Torment show that you can present player with grey ethical dileemas without the use of artificial morality bars.
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By greenygrey
    @elsuperdonut said:

@greenygrey said:

@elsuperdonut said:

So killing the Colonist on Feros, recruiting a sociopathic Asari, killing the Shiala execution style, leaving the severely injured Salarian and sick Batarian to die isn't disturbing? I don't even want to know how you were raised as a child.

LOL. I was referring to the cosmetics of creepy ass male shepard in full paragon.

Let me guess, Sheploo's (the nick name for default Shep, as his face is modeled after male model Mark Vanderloo) creepy rape face, right?
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By laserbolts

Nah it's usually all the way paragon for me as it will be in ME3.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By greenygrey
    @laserbolts said:
    Nah it's usually all the way paragon for me as it will be in ME3.
    So you're willing to let an extremely dangerous terrorist walk away for the sake of three hostages? :P
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

Good post; anyway, paragade. I usually try to use paragon unless it just seems silly to do so.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laserbolts
    @greenygrey In real life? Yes. In mass effect? Yes.
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By greenygrey
    @BeachThunder said:

Good post; anyway, paragade. I usually try to use paragon unless it just seems silly to do so.

I'm a Paragade player too. I often choose the Paragon decision for most of the big moral choices. But there are exceptions; I always sacrifice the hostages in Bring Down The Sky, I use all of the Renegade interruptions (minus of the one for Mouse), I told the alliance to concentrate on Sovereign, choose most of the intimidation dialog options, tell Conrad Verner to piss off, and I chose to keep the Collector base. I don't trust Cerberus or The Illusive Man, but I need every available resource to use against the Reapers.
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By greenygrey
    @laserbolts said:
    @greenygrey In real life? Yes. In mass effect? Yes.
    I'm just joking around dude, you can and have the right play the game anyway you want. But I always sacrifice the hostages, because Balak is a dangerous man and he would obviously attack another human colony in the future. Sometimes, you need to sacrifice the few, for the sake of the many when you have no other options. 
    CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By CoinMatze

I try not to look too hard at the colors in the dialogue wheel. I just pick what I like best but always end up with full paragon and half renegade.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Buscemi
    @laserbolts: I like the way you think.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

I usually play paragon but I'll toss in a few renegade decisions as the story warrants them such as when that Krogan was being mouthy.  Mama don't take no back-talk.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By greenygrey
    @CoinMatze said:

I try not to look too hard at the colors in the dialogue wheel. I just pick what I like best but always end up with full paragon and half renegade.

in other words, you're a Paragade. :P
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dingofighter

The worst part is that if you don't go for just one, you miss out on stuff.

Which is why I cheat to get full bars for both and can always choose the dialogue option I want, without being limited by a worthless score.

Why the hell would Shepard need to have been acting like an asshole earlier just to be able to pull a gun on somebody later in the game? I hate that...

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CoinMatze

@greenygrey said:

@CoinMatze said:

No, I'm a Miranda.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By greenygrey
    @CoinMatze said:

@greenygrey said:

@CoinMatze said:

No, I'm a Miranda.

But she's a Renegon.
    CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CoinMatze

@greenygrey said:

@CoinMatze said:

@greenygrey said:

@CoinMatze said:

No, I'm a Miranda.

But she's a Renegon.

Not that Miranda.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By dagas

My main is about 70% paragon 30% renegade because I choose renegade only when it seems to lead to a greater good, but never just to be a dick. Then I play after that characters who are the two extremes.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By greenygrey
    @dagas said:

My main is about 70% paragon 30% renegade though because I choose renegade only when it seems to lead to a greater good, but never just to be a dick. Then I play after that characters who are the two extremes.

Renegade doesn't always mean being a dick to your crew and with other people, it just means your Shepard's a hardass. You can make a Shepard who's a hardass, but not an asshole. Hence, a Renegon.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Renegon you had it made till they finally found you.

roguehallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By roguehallow

Paragade. I'm a goody two-shoes until they give me the option to kick someone out a window. Also, my lady Shepard is basically an idealist, but has a low tolerance for what might be referred to as "guff".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I notice the game has definitely improved the douchiness of Renegade. ME1 Renegade is a racist, sadistic creep. ME 2 Renegade is just hardened and unwilling to tolerate bullshit.

As for Catherine Shepard, she acts as a violent bullet towards achieving her mission objectives. Picking up arms or getting in her way will only earn you a bullet in the head. She's cavalier towards laws, because she's seen how they interfere with the greater good. No quarter to enemies, of she had been around for the krogan rebellions she would've suggested orbital bombardment until they surrendered or went extinct.

iamLEG10N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iamLEG10N

I prefer to play as a Paragade. My Shepard is a nice guy to his friends and to innocents, but he doesn't give quarter to his enemies.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By greenygrey
    @Brodehouse said:

I notice the game has definitely improved the douchiness of Renegade. ME1 Renegade is a racist, sadistic creep. ME 2 Renegade is just hardened and unwilling to tolerate bullshit.As for Catherine Shepard, she acts as a violent bullet towards achieving her mission objectives. Picking up arms or getting in her way will only earn you a bullet in the head. She's cavalier towards laws, because she's seen how they interfere with the greater good. No quarter to enemies, of she had been around for the krogan rebellions she would've suggested orbital bombardment until they surrendered or went extinct.

Yeah, most people were reluctant to play as a Renegade in ME1, because too much of the dialogue had terrifying/racist/genocidal/sociopathic/stupid Shepard moments. ME2 was definitely an improvement, but it still had plenty of douchebag moments. 

Examples: 
    - Leaving the sick batarian and severly wounded Salarian to die 
    - Shooting the Batarians in Daniel's assignment during Mordin's recruitment mission 
    - Some of the Renegade lines for your crew 
    - Curb stomping mouse 
    - Choosing Morinth (Seriously, who the f*** would want to pick Morinth over Samara?) 
    - Allowing Jack to kill Aresh (Renegade isn't normally evil, but this moment was certainly an exception) 
    - Handing Pitne's criminal activities to Pitne himself 
    - The Renegade speech for Tali and Legion's conflict 
    - Showing the evidence of Tali's father's war crime 
    - Handing Legion to Cerberus 
    - Racist rant to the two Asari at the Citadel if you've killed off the original council in ME1 

And there are probably others, but that's all I can remember for the time being.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Droop said:

Pretty much the only way to play. Renegade male shepard is laughibly bad voicework.
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By greenygrey
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    @Droop said:

Pretty much the only way to play. Renegade male shepard is laughibly bad voicework.

Not as bad with his Paragon lines. 

*Shepard During Tali's Final Romance Scene*: "It's okay, come here." 

*Kasumi's Voice*: Creepy.
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hoossy
    @greenygrey:  
    I think this points out the main flaw in the 'morality' system.  I put a quote around it because I don't think it's a morality system at all... 

The game pretty much makes you go all one way or the other, because, as you know, later there will be choices only available to you if you have topped out either renegade or paragon.  I think this is the main reason why most people play one way or another.  There were a few times in the game where I wanted to go off the beaten path, but I knew I would lock myself out of scenarios.  (for example, when you have to get Jack or Miranda back on your side after they fight). 
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By AlexW00d

Paragade I think. I always kick motherfuckers out of windows and punch mouthy bitches in their face, but most of the time I pick the good option, unless the recipient is a twat, then I'ma twat too.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Venatio

2 Playthroughs, first full Paragon then full Renegade

Although I can't resist pushing the red trigger sometimes

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Gabriel

Full Renegade, No facial scar healing.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By swoxx

I'm sorry but I just have to point out how fucking humorous some of the spelling in this thread is. Alright then.

I'm usually at around 70% renegade and 30% paragon. I'm nice to my crew and friends but a bitch to everyone else. Renegade FemShep all the way baby.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Enigma777

Came in here with the sole intent of making fun of your illiteracy. Then I found it's intentional. I leave disappointed. :(

Anyways, I play as a Paragon, but whenever I see that right trigger flash, I always pull it cause it always means that Shepard is about to do some crazy shit.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cerogravian

...In the first one it worked quite well with going all the way on a character (Renegade in my case) and then go New Game+ and mix it up. I don't care about the alignment per se, when the points carried over and I wasn't limited by it, and "my" Shepard goes either way depending on the situation or character your interacting with.

This did not work as well in the second game though; not only because your Par/Ren-scores didn't carry over, but mainly because of the weird quasi-percent-based weird system with the scores and requirements. I made the choices I wanted for most of the game, then towards the end I pushed a bit harder on the one that was the highest so I would be able to pass the Morinth seduction-check. In the end I had to run panicked searching for every possible point opportunity in the galaxy, and then I managed to fill up one bar to the top, while still having the other one at over half, but that was still not enough...

So bitterness over change.

EDIT: ...but generally renegon for me.

insomniac22100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By insomniac22100

generally for the first to play throughs i do full pargon or renegade then for the third one i just do what i want to do and shoot who i want to shoot. i feel like thats a good way to play because you get alot of the experinces of playing of both sides and then see what happens if you don't this or that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.