Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Mass Effect 4 made by Bioware Montréal; running on Frostbite 2

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

The new Mass Effect game is being made by the team in Montréal, who was mostly responsible for the DLC in ME2 and ME3. The guy running the studio, Yannick Roy, was a key personnel in the development of both the original Mass Effect and its sequel. In his blog post (see below), he's announced that they are hard at work on the next game in the franchise and that it'll run on a version of Frostbite 2 modified by the Dragon Age 3 guys. Here's his blog post:

Hello Everyone,

I am really excited to share some news with you today, but first, since most of you probably don’t know who I am, I thought I would start with a bit of an introduction.

I was born and raised not too far from Montreal, in the province of Quebec, and while I won’t bore you with the details, I was lucky enough to grow in an environment where videogames were very present. The passion I had for them resulted in a bachelor degree in Computer Science, and in time work took me to Edmonton. I’d regularly play pen & paper role-playing games with my group of friends, until we switched to PC RPGs and played through Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2, and Neverwinter Nights. You can imagine my surprise when I realized that the company who developed them, BioWare, was just down the street!

A few years later, in January of 2006, I was lucky enough to join my favorite game company! I was immediately assigned to the original Mass Effect, which was in very early production at the time, as its Senior Development Director. I worked closely with Casey Hudson and the Leads team through the rest of ME1 and the first half of ME2, when BioWare decided to open another studio in Montreal. I was honored to be asked to lead the team, so I wrapped up my work in Edmonton and moved back to Montreal in the summer of 2009, where our small team was being put in place.

Because BioWare has always believed that the company culture is one of the key ingredients of the games we make, we took two important steps with the team. First, we deliberately seeded the new studio with many transfers from Edmonton. Second, we chose to grow the team relatively slowly, allowing new people to join the team and integrate into its culture in due time. Even with that approach, though, the Montreal studio has made significant contributions to the Mass Effect franchise. We started by building about half the cinematics for ME2, then most of its N7 missions, and finally we played an important role in the development of much of its post-release content. Then on ME3, we took charge of the multiplayer portion as well as making significant contributions to the single-player campaign. Most recently, we built a large piece of DLC that will be released on November 27 and that you know under the name of Omega. With each new portion of work, we took on deeper and broader responsibilities, but we always worked in conjunction with Casey, the Mass Effect leads, and the developers in Edmonton.

That evolution now takes its next step, with the news that the next Mass Effect game is already in development, driven by the team here in Montreal. This is the goal we have been working toward for years now, and every member of our team is proud, excited, and humbled to take on the responsibility for the next game.

To ensure a proper and effective transition, we’ll continue to be supported by the Edmonton studio through the game’s development, working with and learning from them on some critical initiatives. On top of that, Casey remains the Executive Producer, but he will have a Project Director under him, working in Montreal, leading our development team and making day-to-day decisions for the game. We all care very much about Mass Effect and make our decisions based on what’s best for the game.

There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now, except that it will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems that the Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building.

The other thing I can tell you is that, while it will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games, with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.

Now that the core of our team is in place, the next step for us is to have the BioWare Montreal studio grow at an accelerated pace over the next year as we build a team large enough to support the production of what we know is going to be an amazing game in the franchise. If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, keep an eye on our job postings. We’re always looking for talented and passionate people, but it is more the case now than ever!

We’re all looking forward to telling you more about this next Mass Effect game, but it’s probably going to be quite a while before you hear from us again. We know you have high expectations for the franchise and we want to make sure whatever we show you lives up to those expectations.

Thank you all for your interest and your passion,

Yanick

Studio Director – BioWare Montreal

@YanickRRoy

Source

Needless to say, this has me very excited. Here's hoping they won't make the same mistakes the old team made with ME3.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cmblasko

Sounds great, good luck to them. Hope that they get the opportunity to break up the monotony that I felt plagued ME3.

TromboneTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TromboneTony

"Next Mass Effect game" does not necessarily mean ME4 though (at least I hope). Could be good news, but I'm not sure with the Doctors out of the picture.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Zippedbinders

"Who was mostly responsible for the DLC in ME2 and ME3"

Well shit, the Mass Effect 2 DLC was leagues better than the regular game. Sign me the fuck up.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rafaelfc

I wish they'd just let the name Mass Effect be, set new games in the same universe, but let it be called something else. But yeah, money, shares, investors, yadda yadda yadda

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Does 'post release content' mean they're the ones that made Shadow Broker? Because that would be good news. I haven't had a chance to play 3 yet, but honestly, I'd be interested in a return to the ME universe that wasn't focused on Shepard, so I for one support their efforts to continue milking this space cow.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Sterling

I hope the main protagonist is a Drell.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Zombie_

@Zippedbinders said:

"Who was mostly responsible for the DLC in ME2 and ME3"

Well shit, the Mass Effect 2 DLC was leagues better than the regular game. Sign me the fuck up.

Alright, I'll admit it. Now I'm interested.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By spankingaddict

We can only HOPE .

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lysergica33

This habit of making fourquels to completed trilogies needs to fucking stop. Cut it the fuck out, you bastard meddling suits!! Anyhow, Mass Effect on frostbite 2 will be a gorgeous sight despite my issue with this game even being developed in the first place. Publishers need to learn that franchises should be allowed to die with some grace and dignity. Sure, the games may end up being totally functional, but its just the principle of it. 3 is a sacred number, and thus why humanity shows such a powerful inclination towards it, leading to this constant obsession with everything being a trilogy. To make a fourth entry into a series when there's already been 3 succesful games, films, or whatever, just comes across as all kinds of wrong to me. Halo 4, I feel, is going to act as the poster boy for this trend. Functional, yet stagnant. I'm calling it now that this will be the case for ME4 too. That and the inevitable ME 5 and 6.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'd really kill for a prequel trilogy instead of a full on sequel to what just happened. Any who can't wait to see what's next in store for the universe.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

Mass Effect starts with the first game and ends with the second for me. The universe is done for me so good luck to them but I couldn't give a shit.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By solidwolf52

I'm kind of concerned. I almost expect this game to be just a shooter, with al the RPG and choice options gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really appreciate the low key, personal touch BioWare put on the DA3 and this announcement. I so appreciate being spoken to like an adult. Obviously near launch its going to be "TITS AND GUNS KABLAOW!" but right now it's nice.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kerned

That dead horse is thoroughly beaten.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

Ah, well.

They should just place it in a different universe altogether. Think Final Fantasy, but in trilogies. 1, 2, 3 would be the Reaper trilogy, 4, 5, 6 would be the something trilogy, 7, 8, 9 would be something else, etc.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan

@MarkWahlberg said:

milking this space cow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? Mass Effect as a universe is more dead than Firefly. The only difference is that sane people want more Firefly. Fuck Mass Effect and fuck Bioware. I will dance on their graves!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By N7

Man. Lens flare was bad enough when you were on the ground, imagine all of the lens flare from fucking SPACE.

"SHEPARD. LENS FLARE IS ATTACKING EARTH. TAKE THIS PISTOL AND DO EVERYTHING."

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By connerthekewlkid
    No Caption Provided
    wait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wait

This might bring some fresh material and new perspective into the franchise. I'm a huge fan of Bioware, but the last two games they put out( exclude old republic) I didn't even finish. Best of luck Montreal

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Mass Effect adventure game.

Think about it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

Gimme gimme gimme

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Tylea002

Games this should be:

• Character Action Game where you play as a Justicar.
    • Adventure Game set in C-Sec, LA Noire style. Investigatin' murders.
    • Political strategy game of some sort.
    • RTS game across the Mass Effect universe; First Contact War, Krogan Rebellion, Rachni War and The Reaper War could all be involved. Features shifting factions based on council alliances at each timeframe.

Games this should not be:

• Mass Effect 4
    • Anything that plays like a Mass Effect RPG
    • Asari Dating Sim
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I still really like Mass Effect so sign me up.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Voxus

The only logical place ME can go is Time Travel, right?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I loved ME3 despite the ending, so I'm down.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Phatmac

Cool! Hopefully they create a story that is far removed from previous Mass Effect games. I still love the universe so I hope they explore it more with the new ME game.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AngelN7

Awesome! can we please play as a jokey Turian on his death row? ... or you know just whatever becuase I really want to explore the universe again hopefully on a lesser role I don't want to save the galaxy again.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sjosz

The new Mass Effect game is being made by the team in Montréal, who was mostly responsible for the DLC in ME2 and ME3.

Except of course for the part where Overlord, Lair of the Shadowbroker, Zaeed, Kasumi and Leviathan were all done in Edmonton.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Halo 4 proved that sometime a new, fresh dev is what an old series needs.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By themangalist

@Tylea002 said:

Games this should not be:
    • Asari Dating Sim

I want Asari Rapelay. And I hope Bioware makes it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

I'm totally down for a Mass Effect 4. I love the series.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Brendan said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

milking this space cow.

Mass Effect: Moonville Farming Simulator 2015.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Andorski

Sounds like they're dumping Mass Effect to the B team while actual Bioware works on something else.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Etnos

In an unrelated note: there is not a single fit/thin person on that picture.. game design careers yay!

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Roger778

This is very exciting news. It's good to know that the people who are working on this game did the DLC's for Mass Effect 2, which were excellent.

Now, we just need a good story, and a great new cast of characters, including a lead hero who is nothing like Shepard. As of now, I'm definitely on board.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aetheldod

I hope they bring a new perspective to things .... I wont say I will be blindly optimistic as last time , but hopefull this will be good.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By doobie

@Etnos said:

In an unrelated note: there is not a single fit/thin person on that picture.. game design careers yay!

yes there is.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phrosnite

Have no problems with this. Let's see how Dragon Age 3 turns out first...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta

@Etnos said:

dude at least half are fit/thin, what the fuck are you talking about

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bumpton

Wow, some surprisingly angry responses to this... Personally, I'm stoked! I think it's an awesome universe and can't wait to jump back in.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pweidman

That's fine by me as I love the ME franchise but man, apparently the hate still lingers. Hopefully they're given the appropriate amount of time for development by EA.

But what I really wanna know is what are Casey Hudson and the team at Edmonton working on.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Etnos

@doobie said:

@Etnos said:

yes there is.

OK ill correct that.. there is a handful of fit/thin people in that picture..

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Brendan said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

milking this space cow.

where the, how the.... why does this image exist?!?!?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman said:

That's fine by me as I love the ME franchise but man, apparently the hate still lingers. Hopefully they're given the appropriate amount of time for development by EA.

But what I really wanna know is what are Casey Hudson and the team at Edmonton working on.

Hopefully the team is working ona new strain of flesheating virus and they administer it on Casey Hudson

No Caption Provided
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By BoG

I will buy this.

I don't know what to think of this, though:

" the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore"

The fact that this isn't specific baffles me. He says "diverse alien races," but not "Asari, Drell, etc." He says "huge galaxy to explore," again, as if it may be unrelated to the previous game. My main gripe with the third game was that it essentially made it impossible to explore the universe created post-reaper conflict, something I just expected all along. Will they use this as an opportunity to start from scratch, making something totally unrelated? Or will the galaxy become unrecognizable following the events of ME3?

I would laugh if they do the Reaper conflict all over again. These new people have no idea, and the cycle continues!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.