Mass Effect novels. What say you?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson

As time goes on in our post-Mass Effect 2 world I continue to realize more and more that I love the ME universe. I've also realized that there's a whole trilogy of books out already. How are they? All three of them are on Kindle and I'm really tempted to pick them up.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Jayross

I'm reading Mass Effect: Revelation right now. It's pretty good.

I'm also listening to Mass Effect: Ascension on audiobook, which is also cool.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By aurahack

Read the first two. Pretty great. Granted, I don't really read so I might not be the best person to listen to on the matter. But I like them quite a lot.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Both Revelation and Ascension are pretty good, but Revelation is probably the better of those 2.

S0ndor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By S0ndor

They are very thrilling and well written, truly some of the best franchise fiction ever written. They offer loads of extra info on the whole universe and the different races, their customs, physiology, politics and technology. You will also better understand the various characters in the games such as Saren and Anderson. A must read for people who love the Mass Effect fiction.

RWL_MU_OSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RWL_MU_OSU

If you love the universe, then the books are definitely good reads.  I've read the first two and am working on the third one right now.  Go for it! :)

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Fjordson: Seeing how the guy who was the lead writer for Mass Effect 1, 2, and Knights of the Old Republic also wrote the books, you're in good hands. There's no chance that the cannon and fiction get butchered. Besides...it does have Vinny's approval.  

I've been thinking about picking them up too.
Avatar image for pullarius_capax
Pullarius_Capax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pullarius_Capax

I have only read the first one (revelation I believe) and I liked it; although i thought it was a bit on the short side and kinda ended suddenly. It didn't really compel me to read the other books immediately but i'll probably get around to it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Subjugation

I read Revelation and enjoyed it a lot, and I'm not usually one to read literature based on games at all. Drew got some writing chops.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jadeskye
@Fjordson said:
" As time goes on in our post-Mass Effect 2 world I continue to realize more and more that I love the ME universe. I've also realized that there's a whole trilogy of books out already. How are they? All three of them are on Kindle and I'm really tempted to pick them up. "
i read them all, they're not bad.
Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Kiro

They are decent mass effect books, but writing video game scripts doesn't really translate well into novel writing. Some of the shit he puts into those books are outright atrocious. 

lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By lordbazuco

Eh there are all pretty good. I mean if you're crazy about the mass effect fiction, which I am, then they are definitely worth reading. 

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ___pocalypse

I read the first two and liked them. They aren't the best written, and aren't particularly original as far as plot lines/twists go, but I enjoyed reading them regardless because they're fast paced and pretty universally accessible. I like reading game books because they're a kind of continuation of the game for me; I definitely think the second one had some good insight in the Quarian culture, as well as some general universe lore I didn't pick up in my play throughs. I've been waiting for the third to come into my work so I can read it!

jschmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jschmoe

The first one`s great, it follows Capt. Anderson in the events before ME1.  I read it before playing ME1, and it really helped build the universe. The second one`s decent, it gives some info on the Quarians and Omega.  I haven`t started on the third, but it looks like it directly follows the events of the second book.

Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Llama

Look at it as the book equivalent of a Dead Space: Downfall. It's a bit pulpy, but as an expansion on the universe it's perfect!
Read all 3 pretty good read

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

As far as books go, they are pretty mediocre. But if you love the Mass Effect Universe you will most likely enjoy them. 
The same can be said with the TES:4 Book.

austicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By austicious

One thing I haven't seen (but would love to see from someone in the know) is a timeline of all the Mass Effect content.  I'm just now getting into Mass Effect, and am already amazed by the universe Bioware has crafted (though I shouldn't be surprised, they always seem to put a lot of thought into their fiction).  I'd like to delve a little deeper, but don't want to read anything out of order--I'm pretty scared of spoilers, so I'm generally scared to read anything I find on the universe, but a simple chronological listing of the content would be great. 

I'm sure the books are mediocre, but I'm willing to trade literary genius for a decent fleshing out of a universe I'm enjoying.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By korolev

Look, I like the Mass Effect universe a lot.  Drew Karpyshyn has a great imagination (for the most part) and puts a lot of effort into making the universe seem real. He's pretty good at writing dialogue, imagining characters and making up plot events. 

But..... I find the actual writing in his novels to be.... mediocre. His ideas are GREAT, but the way he writes just feels a bit clunky. So there's room for improvement in that regard.  

I'm not saying I could do a better job - I've tried to write a book, and I can tell you it ain't easy to write a book that people like. Karpyshan has done a reasonable job with his novels. They aren't going to be on the NY Times Best seller list anytime soon, but they're readable and it expands the Mass Effect universe greatly. So they are by no means bad books - but when you compare them to books written by the likes of Joseph Heller, David Mitchell, or J .G Ballard, they're mediocre. Again, not in terms of the ideas, but in terms of the actual writing. He could improve in that area.  I mean, every time he breaks off the dialogue to actually write descriptions about what is going on in the novel, the quality of the writing takes a serious hit.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov
@Fjordson said:

" As time goes on in our post-Mass Effect 2 world I continue to realize more and more that I love the ME universe. I've also realized that there's a whole trilogy of books out already. How are they? All three of them are on Kindle and I'm really tempted to pick them up. "

I own them on kindle, trust me if you love ME do it.  To give you an idea of how good they are well... they aren't going to top a best seller list.  However they are fun, easy to read, and expand on the world quite a bit while introducing characters that aren't in the games but have some relation and impact to them.  Lastly I even let a person who does not play mass effect and had no idea what they were about prior to seeing them read them.  After they finished book two the first words out of their mouth was, so when are they releasing the third?  I definitely want to check it out.  Nuff said.

PS: That first sentence in my post sure is freaky ....
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vorbis

They were pretty good, but only if you're into ME, otherwise they wouldn't really hold up. The downside is afterwards I kinda liked Saren more than Anderson, he came off as a love sick idiot who almost blew the whole operation, very unprofessional, at least Saren got the job done, even if it was unorthodox.   

Will pickup the newest one before ME3 for sure.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the first two, first is great, second is a lil more loose from the main story but still a good read concerning the universe, didn't get 3 yet tho but it sounds good.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I didn't enjoy the first one - Revelation - at all. But then I'm not really a fan of this kind of prequel with character's whose fate you already know, so that combined with Drew Karpyshyn (I detest his writing, particular his Darth Bane... things) led to me really disliking the first book.

The second one - Ascension - was all kinds of awesome though. It's set between ME1 and ME2. You get a (mostly) brand new cast to explore some previously unseen, interesting caveats of the ME universe.

The third one - Retribution, set between ME2 and ME3 - is more of Ascension, but not quite as gripping. I don't know if it's because Anderson's back as a major character - not that I dislike him, I just always feel a horrible kind of disconnect between characters shared between different medium - or whether it's just my Drew Karpyshyn hate coming through. It does wrap up certain story threads nicely though, as well as having some rather large implications for ME3.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By dagas

I read the first book before the game was out so I didn't have the problem of knowing what would happen. The first two are pretty good, but not as good as the first Dragon Age book. The third ME book is on my reading list. If you like ME and you are not against reading a book then I suggest reading them even though they don't compare to playing the games. 

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fruitcocoa
@Fjordson said:
I like all three of them but as some people have pointed out you really need to play a lot of Mass Effect to get the most out of them. I probably like the third book - Retribution - the most. You can see most of the story playing out in your head because a lot of places are from Mass Effect 2, which you've also visited in the game. The other two are great as well, the first one might be my least favourite but only because it's out come. I kind of didn't like Captain Anderson as much as I did in the games after reading the book. The second one is awesome, you've get to know a lot about the quarians and even - and even kind of get a picture of their faces and what would happen if their glass broke.
Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fruitcocoa
@GunslingerPanda said:
" I didn't enjoy the first one - Revelation - at all. But then I'm not really a fan of this kind of prequel with character's whose fate you already know, so that combined with Drew Karpyshyn (I detest his writing, particular his Darth Bane... things) led to me really disliking the first book.

The second one - Ascension - was all kinds of awesome though. It's set between ME1 and ME2. You get a (mostly) brand new cast to explore some previously unseen, interesting caveats of the ME universe.

The third one - Retribution, set between ME2 and ME3 - is more of Ascension, but not quite as gripping. I don't know if it's because Anderson's back as a major character - not that I dislike him, I just always feel a horrible kind of disconnect between characters shared between different medium - or whether it's just my Drew Karpyshyn hate coming through. It does wrap up certain story threads nicely though, as well as having some rather large implications for ME3.

"
Oh man you'd just reminded me! I really loved Kahlee as a character! 
andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By andriv

the first book is pretty good, I haven't actually played any of the games but decided to read the first book over the holidays before mass effect 2 comes out on ps3 and it's pretty good.  Already ordered the next two books from amazon. 
I like that they don't have a direct connection to the games other than taking place in the same universe and fleshing out some of the side characters.  

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By seanbooker

I have only played ME2 and am planning on playing through ME1 when I get it off a friend in about a month. I'm interested in reading the books (I loved ME2 so much I want to play/read it all) and was wondering what order I should go about doing the rest. I have the three books and the first game to do, should I just play through ME1 first and read the books after, or can I start on some of the books now while I wait for the game?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Enigma777

In my experience, books based on videogame (or movie) franchises are awful. Even the "best" ones are not worth your time.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Undeadpool

Read the first one. It's good, but it won't drop your jaw or anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.