Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

The Mass Effect Franchise Poll - Please vote on all three questions

• 96 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll The Mass Effect Franchise Poll - Please vote on all three questions (1119 votes)

Q1 - Mass Effect 1 is my favorite 27%
    Q1 - Mass Effect 2 is my favorite 65%
    Q1 - Mass Effect 3 is my favorite (please do not consider multiplayer when voting) 5%
    Q2 - I never played the multiplayer. 31%
    Q2 - I only played a game or two of the multiplayer. I didn't like it. 8%
    Q2 - I played a bit of the multiplayer. It was okay. 33%
    Q2 - I played loads of the multiplayer. It was great. 24%
    Q3 - I enjoy the series, but I never did finish the third game. 14%
    Q3 - I hated the ending of Mass Effect 3. It was really stupid. 24%
    Q3 - I thought the ending of Mass Effect 3 was just okay. It could have been better, though. 45%
    Q3 - I always liked how Mass Effect 3 ended. It was pretty good. 13%
    Q3 - I loved how Mass Effect 3 ended. People were crazy not to love that ending. 1%
    I just want to see how other people voted, probably because I never played Mass Effect enough to vote. 4%

Before the next chapter in the Mass Effect storybook--unrelated to the original trilogy as it may be--I thought this would be make a fun poll. Which was the best game of the trilogy? How much did people enjoy the mutliplayer? And now that the dust has settled, what do people think of that ending?

Please use your multiple choices to vote on all three questions.

Lastly, please tag spoilers if you care to discuss the plot or ending to any Mass Effect game. There are still people who haven't played all three games, and with any luck, the long rumored HD remaster / compilation will eventually become a reality.

• 
    Avatar image for nietzschecookie
    NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hated the ending of ME 3. Maybe it was my own fault. I played the game a few months after launch and the kerfuffle about endings but had successfully avoided any spoilers. Then I shot the holo-kid thinking it wouldn't do anything, I was just goofing Vinny style! Then it said I killed everyone in the galaxy, roll credits. I immediately had to stay up another four hours to replay the entire ending battle and cut scenes all over again. Was it my fault? Was it the writers' fault? Was it the fans' fault for demanding a fourth ending? I don't know but I'm still mad about to this day.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I like 2 the most even though the story contained in it is definitely the weakest of the three games. ME3 gets a hell of a lot more hate then it deserves and is still probably a bit stronger then 1 in most ways. Lots of great moments in 3 that people seem to completely forget because they were pissed about the last 20-30 minutes. Multiplayer was surprisingly good as well, but never did more then what was required to get my readiness level up to max.

All of the Mass Effect games kind of pale in comparison to KOTOR 1 or 2 though, still bummed that we'll never see a continuation of that series from either Obsidian or Bioware. I guess that MMO thing exists, but honestly I just don't have time or the patience for that sort of thing anymore.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beginning of ME3 turned me off so bad that I never bothered to play past that. Maybe I should.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@based: There are missions in ME3 that are among the best in the series, just be ready for rough spots. Only the ending is as bad as the beginning though.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I voted ME2 as the best, although in a lot of ways my heart is more with 1. ME2 is just a balanced point between the improvements they made to one, without having some of the negative story stuff from 3 (not just the ending).

I don't really agree with people who say that they destroyed the roleplaying element of ME by simplifying the stats. I don't think any of that stuff was meaningful in the first game, really, because the only skills that made a difference to the story were the speech skills. And then the only ones that really made a difference to the gameplay were the gun skills. Hacking and stuff was just too inessential, and it's not like Deus Ex where challenging yourself by dumping points into swimming might lead to interesting new approaches.

With that said, a lot of the subtlety, a lot of the most intriguing elements of Mass Effect 1 got pretty well torn down in the third game. I think the approach to Indoctrination is really exemplary - In the first game, it is portrayed as a subtle thing, over a long period, where Saren's natural impulses are pushed and magnified by Sovereign, almost just because Sovereign is so large and intimidating. It is an oppressive presence. In the third game it is a much more basic brainwashing, that seems to come with a side order of zombie cybernetics. Mass Effect 2 is far less connected to the first game, so it doesn't really have a chance to mishandle its legacy. It actually builds on it in some cool ways, I think!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@sinusoidal: I really liked the first game (and also never got around to the third game). The first game to me felt a lot like the equivalent of a Star Trek whereas the second more like a Star Wars style action movie. Both are fine but I much prefer the pacing and nature of the first game.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I thought the ending to 3 was awful. Not awful enough to ruin the game though. I loved the game.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I actually liked the original ending more than the redo. I mean it wasn't good but I can respect taking some risks. The DLC ending just was bad AND bland.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By GundamGuru

@nietzschecookie: @discomposure: So if you played ME3 before the Extended Cut was released, as I did, the ending cut scenes imply the mass effect relays are totally destroyed, which would trap everyone in the galaxy in the solar systems they were in. FTL in the ME universe is very slow compared to the instantaneous travel of the relays. Remember also that there was no Citadel DLC then, and the last you saw of your crew was the three of them being shot during the final run on Earth, and whomever you didn't take crashed with the Normandy, which was utterly destroyed, doomed forever to be shipwrecked on whatever jungle planet that was. Couldn't get rescued with no relays. Couldn't rebuild civilization without the ability to get around. The Extended Cut deliberately clarified all of those things, which if the writers really didn't mean to have it look that way is only a good thing. I never got the backlash to the Extended Cut or the artistic integrity argument. Updating the Destroy ending for the possible "Shepard Lives!" gasp of breath and adding the "shoot the Catalyst" ending was just fan service. Something I appreciated. I thought it was good that the team could still have fun at the expense of the player after all the hubbub.

I was actually okay with the way ME3 ended with the Extended Cut and Citadel DLC; the high EMS Destroy ending was my favorite. That said, the only ending that truly didn't make sense was Synthesis, to the point that even Shepard can't help but point out the plot holes during the explanatory dialogue with the Catalyst.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By hassun

I voted:

1. "Mass Effect 1 is my favorite."
    2. "I only played a game or two of the multiplayer. I didn't like it."
    3. "I hated the ending of Mass Effect 3. It was really stupid."

I would like to mention that ME3 has myriad problems and the ending is just 1 of them. I also don't give ME3 too much shit since I think some of it problems were caused by the irresponsibility of ME2.

@discomposure: One of the reasons people hate the ME3 endings so much is because they (I think Casey Hudson in person even) LITERALLY said they would not do the exact thing they ended up doing.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

The Mass Effect 3 ending wasn't great. That being said, game endings are more often than not terrible and I try to not let that color the whole experience.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not considering MP when voting on Mass Effect 3 is dumb. The multiplayer was actually really good and makes that whole game better. I know you have another Question about the multiplayer but there's no reason why it couldn't be a factor in Mass Effect 3 being someone's favourite.

That said:

Mass Effect 2 is my favourite.

(As you may have guessed) I played a lot of the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 and loved it.

The ending for Mass Effect 3 was just okay.

I didn't hate the end to Mass Effect 3 in terms of what actually happens (I've seen pre and post Director's Cut endings and played all the DLC). How it's presented with the choices and the Starkid and all that is abysmal, though. I would have rather had the game make a choice for me based on my previous actions. In a way that feels more like what BioWare was selling with their choice stuff, and it's why I liked the suicide mission so much in ME2. You make your choices and live with them.

leogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I didn't even know Mass Effect had multiplayer. Maybe I saw something about it, but I was too focused on the single player content. While I think ME1 is amazing, ME2 nailed the "RPG with 3rd person shooting" aspect. ME3 is just a mess, but it's fun to play.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@nietzschecookie: @discomposure: So if you played ME3 before the Extended Cut was released, as I did, the ending cut scenes imply the mass effect relays are totally destroyed, which would trap everyone in the galaxy in the solar systems they were in. FTL in the ME universe is very slow compared to the instantaneous travel of the relays. Remember also that there was no Citadel DLC then, and the last you saw of your crew was the three of them being shot during the final run on Earth, and whomever you didn't take crashed with the Normandy, which was utterly destroyed, doomed forever to be shipwrecked on whatever jungle planet that was. Couldn't get rescued with no relays. Couldn't rebuild civilization without the ability to get around. The Extended Cut deliberately clarified all of those things, which if the writers really didn't mean to have it look that way is only a good thing. I never got the backlash to the Extended Cut or the artistic integrity argument. Updating the Destroy ending for the possible "Shepard Lives!" gasp of breath and adding the "shoot the Catalyst" ending was just fan service. Something I appreciated. I thought it was good that the team could still have fun at the expense of the player after all the hubbub.

I was actually okay with the way ME3 ended with the Extended Cut and Citadel DLC; the high EMS Destroy ending was my favorite. That said, the only ending that truly didn't make sense was Synthesis, to the point that even Shepard can't help but point out the plot holes during the explanatory dialogue with the Catalyst.

The video you linked doesn't portray any plot holes?

Also, the original ending was far better than the Extended Cut. I really hate how they retconned Harbinger's power. He was supposed to wipe out the storm assault for the Crucible in 10 seconds, which he did in the original. In the Extended Cut there are over 30 seconds (three times as long as it takes him to wipe the entire field out!) of cutscenes in that part depicting almost everyone being evacuated safely. Fuck that. Everyone died. Harbinger is powerful. The Extended Cut would show Reapers aren't that strong at all and he couldn't even kill any major character. It's lame.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

1. Never played ME1, and for me it's one of those things where I couldn't really go back after seeing what ME2 turned out. So between 2 and 3, ME2 is my favorite of the series, in addition to being one of my favorite games ever.
    2. I actually really got into the multiplayer. I came back around on it after the Extended Cut stuff came out and a decent amount of people were playing for a month or two after that. I thought their way of using loot boxes was a really good idea at the time, because it meant maps and other content wouldn't wall people off. I imagine this game would have been dead if they had map packs. I have no idea what the multiplayer is like in Andromeda, but I feel like I am one of the few people who is actually intrigued with what they have planned. (That is if it's the horde style multiplayer in ME3. If they randomly went to team deathmatch or something, that would not be interesting to me)
    3. The ending is hot garbage, and it severely weakens Mass Effect 3. It wasn't just the ending. It was stuff like how Shepard's moral dread came from some space orphan boy in a hoodie he/she didn't know. Did he/she feel depressed after a huge battle in the other two games? When she had to sacrifice someone? When somebody died during the suicide mission? Nope! Just some kid who feels like he belonged in a different game! This is the emotional crux of the story. Now let us have oily black smoke nightmare scenes to show how heavy this game is. Let's have the final moments of this trilogy be based on a manifestation of this poor little dead human orphan boy in a nondescript hoodie. That stuff happened which already made me roll my eyes, sigh the biggest sigh, and just exclaim "Oh, come on now!", and then they pulled the rug under you with the rest of that ending. The select your color endings. How they didn't think it was ominous that your crew being stranded on a forest planet (similar to the forest planet where Jacob's father and his crew started to fight and kill each other) does not convey a message of hope, but rather "Oh shit! Your crew is just fucking going to die here! There's no FTL speed! Their ship is wrecked! They will be stranded here just to either live the rest of their lives here or starve to death!" How half of the Extended Cut felt like it was devoted to covering up random plot and just correcting things like that. But yes, tell me another tale of the Shepard.
    Ascara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: You summed up how I feel about those games, I did try the demo for 3 and that was enough for me.

Realmwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Mass Effect is easily my favourite of the three.

There's a sense of scale in the game that the other three never came anywhere close to rivalling. Not just in terms of the importance of the actions of the player, but in a physical sense. When you're making a video game about humanity reaching the boundless expanses of outer space, this is absolutely and completely essential.

Environments where the player is on foot are open and populated, and have enough space and connectivity to them to give the impression of even larger spaces beyond the boundaries of where the player can go. The concourse in the Citadel is enormous, and the skybox implies that what we access is only a fraction of its enormity. In comparison, the Citadel in ME2 is a small port section, and a tiny little strip mall. Combine this with the ability to proceed on foot on the (admittedly empty and barren) planets the player can land on, and there is such a stark contrast that ME2 and ME3 can't even really begin to compare.

Compounding this is the sense of continuity between these places. The Mako gets a lot of flack for handling poorly (and, frankly, it does), but it provided an absolutely essential interstitial step between the vastness of space, the panoramas of the planets, and the smaller confines of compounds and buildings explored on foot. Because the players is present and a part of each of these steps, they reinforce the perspective and scope of each other. In contrast, even when making planet-fall in ME2, the environments the player explores are, by virtue of the engine, tight and confined. There is no distinction in scope in ME2 between being confined to the Normandy, a space-station, or a planet. They're all presented from the same perspective, and are all roughly the same in terms of dimensions. ME3 does more to change this up, but still never comes close to reaching the vastness that ME1 achieves.

As for the writing, I'm aware I'll catch a lot of disagreement for this one, but the crew of ME2 was actually one of the weakest points for me. Mordin, Legion, Garrus and the DLC characters aside (who I never got to experience on my play-through), the majority of the crew's personal arcs in the story are all just some variation of daddy problems (Jacob, Miranda, Tali specifically, and even Grunt and Jack insofar as they both strugge with finding their own identity without the support or care of loving people to raise them) or issues with the responsibilities of being a parent (Samara, Thane). Jack's a bit of a wild card, because I was never able to finish her story-arc on account of playing as a lady Shepard. Garrus's character arc mostly ran its conclusion through the first game, and here he's given a new premise, a new beginning, but he proceeds to do basically nothing with it. Mordin's fantastic, though, and Legion's an excellent mouthpiece for learning more about the mysterious antagonist race of the first series. Those two bring something new to the story, and have arcs all of their own. The things that Mordin and Legion do they would likely have tried to accomplish regardless of whether or not Shepard came to recruit them.

This is more in-line with the stronger characters in ME1 (in particular, Wrex) who had a clear narrative arc, and who assist Shepard not because they are doe-eyed followers who believe Shepard's hype, but because they have goals and objectives, and working with Shepard is an obvious way to further them. This isn't to say that every character in ME1 was strongly written, but the game itself also placed far less emphasis on them individually. It makes their inclusion and continued involvement in the story make more sense. In contrast, in ME2 the idea of Shepard working with Cerberus, even in gratitude for their saving of Shepard's life, always rings a bit hollow. It's a blatant contrivance to try and force some sort of "shades of grey" dynamic that never really pays off. In ME1, Kaiden and Ashley are hardly the most dynamic characters, but given that they, and Shepard, are all working for the same military organisation, of their own free will, their continued inclusion makes sense. In contrast, ME2 presents us with Miranda and Jacob, theoretically good people who willingly work with a human supremacist terrorist organisation. An organisation Shepard has spent no small amount of time fighting against. Not only is there no compelling reason for Shepard to work for or trust Cerberus or its agents, there is no repercussions to openly defying The Illusive Man at any time. This is bad writing, and it makes up a disproportionate amount of ME2's narrative.

(An aside: while writing this, I realise how much relevance there is in ME2's ambitions of excusing a clearly evil organisation in "shades of grey" and the current political climate, and wooof if that doesn't make me like the game a whole lot less.)

I cannot really consider ME3 to be the best game in the series because so much of it is wholly dependent on the player caring about characters, places and events of the previous two games. For what it's worth, I think it is generally a stronger game than ME2, both in terms of overall writing (the ending(s) notwithstanding) and gameplay. That said, I find the tone of exploration and wonder of the first game more enjoyable than ME3's tones of finality and conclusion.

tl;dr I think ME1 is the best, with ME3 coming in second and ME2 bringing up the rear.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BladeOfCreation

The Mass Effect 3 ending itself didn't bother me too much, but I've always been a big fan of long cutscenes when I finish a game. I thought the reaction to it was overblown. Seriously, I saw guy walking around PAX East that year just holding a sign that said it had "the worst ending ever," and I remember thinking that when people make fun of gamers, that guy is exactly who they're thinking about.

The free DLC that extended the ending was great and addressed some of the issues was, IMO, better and it's exactly what I wanted in the first place.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GundamGuru
    @zevvion said:

The video you linked doesn't portray any plot holes?

Catalyst: It is the ideal solution. Now that we know it is possible, it is inevitable we will reach synthesis.

Shepard: Why couldn't you do it sooner?

C: We have tried... a similar solution in the past.

C: But is has always failed.

S: Why?

C: Because the organics were not ready. It's not something that can be... forced.

C: But you are ready. And you may choose it.

Like, wth? Where is all that coming from? What past failed experiment is he referencing? Why can it be forced now? What made us ready?

They pulled that one straight out of their butts, as if there was some desire to create a golden ending that doesn't require sacrificing either organic free will or synthetic life. It reads almost like fanfiction, and renders both of the other choices totally hollow as a result. The other two options have been building since the first and second games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c
    deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME2 and 3 were better "games".

ME1 was the best Mass Effect.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedom4556: I mean, not really? I know it's in the comics for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's also in the Leviathan DLC. I'd like to say on top that I don't think a plot hole is: 'I don't know this piece of information'. Or is it? I always thought it was: 'this is literally impossible with the information you've given me'.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: The Leviathan DLC is ex post facto, and I don't know anything about the comics (I expect most players wouldn't). But more to the point, plot holes are any events that doesn't logically follow what has come before, or directly contradict previous information. If the main character asks "why couldn't this happen sooner, and why can it happen now?", and the answer is basically, "because the plot demands it." I consider that to be non sequitur. There's nothing supporting the idea that this third solution should be possible, and no real explanation behind it is given to the player. We were in a Sci Fi up 'till that point, but recreating the basic building blocks of all life in the galaxy, just by disintegrating Shepard and firing his 'energy' from a superweapon? Really?

But the fact that that ending renders the other two as "worse" endings, which is demonstrated mechanically by it having a higher EMS requirement to unlock, is really what bothers me about it. It's also a tad too utopian and naive for my taste. The whole engine of the overarching conflict in Mass Effect is organics vs synthetics, you can't just tie that neat a bow on it in the last 30 minutes.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME1 4 LYFE

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 2 can fuck right off.
    Mass Effect 2 can fuck right off.

ME2 is honestly one of the worst games I've ever played. ME1, potential wise, was Star Trek: The Game. It wasn't perfect, but I was excited to see where they went with it.

Instead, I got a 'Mission Complete' screen, every character got their own unnecessary gritty reintroduction, I got a few token emails from entire species I had saved in the first game, and characters with which I had spent the entire game got no more than a nod when they died in the final battle. Not to mention, the last boss was a slow-moving, floating-platform affair. For some reason, ammo-collection, which is always a fun mechanic, was also introduced.

The characters were by far the worst part though:

• Jack is criminally psychotic. But it's okay: she has a past. It's totally justified.
    • Then you have the doctor, who puts no inherent value on sentient life. What a twist!
    • And the assassin, who seeks forgiveness after each kill. I didn't expect that!

At every turn, I could just hear the director whispering into my ear: 'I bet you didn't expect this!'

To be fair to it, if they allowed me to jettison some of my crew members into space, ME2 would have been one of my all-time favourite games.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandude said:

ME2 is honestly one of the worst games I've ever played.

Mass Effect 2 was awesome. It was like a Star Wars movie where the Rebel Alliance and the Empire joined forces to fight an alien force who wanted to destroy the galaxy. How do you not love that?

It's my favorite game of the previous console generation.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@mandude said:

To be fair to it, if they allowed me to jettison some of my crew members into space, ME2 would have been one of my all-time favourite games.

Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've played where I looked up a guide for the final mission specifically so I could fail in a way that killed the characters in my team that were mass murderers.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BladedEdge

Mass Effect 1 suffers from the game-play more then anything. Trying to go back and play it now is a chore. Mass Effect 2 is carried as the best game IMO purely on the strength of the characters and their interactions. Mass Effect 3 is carried, right up until the absolutely god awful ending, by fan-service related to those characters. Seeing the stories of your favorite characters from ME2 fully mature, get satisfying/emotional fueled resolutions. Even if the ending was fantastic it would be as good as 2, purely because its working off the greatness of two for most of its 'wow this is great!"

That said, that is also the main reason the ending, for me, got so much flak. It didn't help that I finished ME2 and immediately started ME3 (so no downtime for me between the ending of 2 and start of 3). The ending wasn't just a bad/dull resolution to the plot, it was a slap in the face for all the build up that came before it. Here I had followed all these characters, made all these choices and done all this stuff and in the end it all got ignored in favor of a seemingly out of no where message.

Essentially, ME2 and everything but the end of ME3, if you go the full Paragon route, is telling one story, while the ending forces on you a completely different conclusion.

And I fully stand by that concept. Examining the contents of ME2 and 3, and comparing it too the ending and the inconsistency is blatant. Examples..

Ok so the conclusion the ending of ME3 wants you to believe is that machines and organics can not co-exist, period. The only solutions involve either the complete destruction of all artificial life, or the forced fusion of both in a 'if your all alike your in-born destiny nature to be in eternal conflict is negated". The reapers say A.I. and Organics can't co-exist, and you as a player through Shepard have to buy it..except.

If you go through the Paragon route full-blown you get multiple examples of this being completely untrue. We see two A.I.s display sentient. One of them shows the capacity to fall in love, the other the willingness of self-sacrifice. And both show their ability to work with organics despite a massive amount of doubt, 'racism' and doubt.

The worst of it? The very hardest 'good' ending to get in ME3 for a character is the one where Geth and Quarians come together to work in harmony. Almost as if the developers are saying "Yes, two such races co-existing requires a great deal of work, its not easy, but is possible." How exactly does that mesh with the Ending message? Even the 'become one' ending is BS. In the ending with the Quariens and Geth working together, they do so as mutual partners, not joining minds. They both recognize the unique talents they offer, and agree to work together as separate but equal races. Where in hell is the ending for ME3 that lets Shepard find that resolution?

Where is my ending where Shepard lays out in detail all the ways he has seen, helped cultivate and been unable to reach this point without clear and obvious A.I. and Human interaction? The ending where the star childs programing is forced too comprehend the message/truth that the entire series up until that point had been pushing? No, instead we get Shepard being dead quiet about it and blindly accepting "oh I guess all that stuff I saw and did that proves what your saying to be complete bullshit didn't happen! Oh well!

Really the only 'correct' ending for ME3 is to assume that the Reapers programing is static and inferior. That the proof that we see of AI and Organics working together shows that the Reapers conclusions are wrong, and this is what ultimately us used to destroy them. I.E. Shepard shoots the star child in the face, everyone dies, but the message they leave behind is one of cooperation and co-existence and at some future point this Organic/Machine alliance defeats the Reaper threat, since they seem utterly unable to convinced that such a partnership can not exist, despite the games clearly show us they can.

I just wish we'd gotten the chance to 'win the game' by pushing that kind of narrative with all the choices and resolutions we'd gotten up until that point. Instead, the endings, even the one that in my head must be cannon, strip the majority of the meaning and impact that ME2 and ME3 had since, you know, it was either apparently all pointless, or in the service of some unseen set of heros eventually winning the day against the reapers.

I've made that rant plenty of times over the years, and I stick with it. the ME series is great, as long as you stop playing at a certain key point, and make up your own ending. When it feels so much like whoever wrote the ending had no knowledge of anything that came before it(at least I hope as otherwise they willfully ignored it), you'll be more qualified to decided on the ending by the time you get there after all.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked Mass Effect. I quit the first one in the Citadel and I've played the second for five hours and have no strong interest in continuing. It has a bland world and mediocre gameplay.

Wwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Wwen

ME3 is a fun game, but for a series where the story is such a core part, it was mega disappointing. They improved the gameplay and fired the good writers I guess. I've pretty much written Bioware off after DA2 and ME3.This guy more or less agrees with how I feel about ME3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: The Leviathan DLC is ex post facto, and I don't know anything about the comics (I expect most players wouldn't). But more to the point, plot holes are any events that doesn't logically follow what has come before, or directly contradict previous information. If the main character asks "why couldn't this happen sooner, and why can it happen now?", and the answer is basically, "because the plot demands it." I consider that to be non sequitur. There's nothing supporting the idea that this third solution should be possible, and no real explanation behind it is given to the player. We were in a Sci Fi up 'till that point, but recreating the basic building blocks of all life in the galaxy, just by disintegrating Shepard and firing his 'energy' from a superweapon? Really?

But the fact that that ending renders the other two as "worse" endings, which is demonstrated mechanically by it having a higher EMS requirement to unlock, is really what bothers me about it. It's also a tad too utopian and naive for my taste. The whole engine of the overarching conflict in Mass Effect is organics vs synthetics, you can't just tie that neat a bow on it in the last 30 minutes.

As for the part what you marked with a spoiler: sure. I guess you have a point there. I'll say that I have a lot less trouble to suspend disbelief than other people/critics seem to. When you're telling me you can fly through a Mass Relay that transports you to another system I acknowledge your universe works that way, whether logically possible or not. When they tell me the part you marked as a spoiler, it works the same way. They established what the Crucible can do, whether logically possible or not doesn't bother me: it's possible in that universe clearly.

As for what you mentioned before that, I don't think you're right. It's not 'because the plot demands it'. There is a reason behind that, which they don't tell you in that particular instance, but they have explained it before. And while you can absolutely make the argument that they shouldn't put that information in paid DLC or external media, and that is a valid argument, that still doesn't dictate that it is illogical; just because you didn't have the information. If I tell you I'm going to the moon and tomorrow you see pictures of me on the moon, that doesn't mean it's fake because it was impossible just because you didn't hear/see what happened between now and tomorrow.

I'll grant you if you take that conversation out of context, you surely wouldn't understand what was being referred to and I can understand it makes that conversation shitty to listen to. The fact they put that context in DLC and external media is also pretty inexcusable. But as someone who engaged with all that stuff, I had no problem with it. Not excusing the business practice or turn of events, just saying how I experienced it.

As a side note, the higher readiness needed for the synthesis option is the last thing that should tell you it's the best ending. The others basically are 'commit genocide on a scale so large you may need a new word that trumps genocide, only to delay an inevitable destructive war by 50.000 years' and 'take single control of the most powerful race in the universe, which most likely will not stay under your control, prohibiting them from completing a task that would prevent the destruction of everything'.

I think people had a really hard time to accept the general narrative that Mass Effect was portraying. Machines will always fight with organics, no matter what, and it will results in everyone being massacred into oblivion. That is the baseline. Choosing any ending other than synthesis means you don't believe what the game has been setting up as its baseline is the case. If you want to talk naive, I think that is it right there. 'Sure, this has happened an infinite amount of times, but surely it won't happen to us!?'

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandude said:

Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've played where I looked up a guide for the final mission specifically so I could fail in a way that killed the characters in my team that were mass murderers.

How have I never thought of this...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@clairvoyantvibrations said:

Not considering MP when voting on Mass Effect 3 is dumb. The multiplayer was actually really good and makes that whole game better. I know you have another Question about the multiplayer but there's no reason why it couldn't be a factor in Mass Effect 3 being someone's favourite.

Mutliplayer makes the game better as a purchase and an overall package. It doesn't make the campaign better, and including it with your vote would give an unfair advantage to Mass Effect 3 that it doesn't deserve. I wanted to compare campaigns to campaigns, which is why I intentionally kept them separate. If the first two games also had multiplayer, then it would be a fair comparison.

Lydian_Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Absolutely loved & adored ME1. That game invested me in the universe & the fiction in a big bad way. I don't know if I've ever felt game-hype like I did in the gulf between ME1 & ME2. Despite some issues, mostly of my own expectations, I enjoyed ME2 & ME3. Sadly each sequel took the series further away from what got me excited in the first place. I now see that I'm just a big fan of ME1 rather than a big fan of the ME franchise.

It's a moot point now, but I wish they had let go of Shepard after the first game. Focusing everything on a single protagonist really made that universe feel small & clockwork to me. For what it's worth, I really hope fans enjoy Andromeda!

acsellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By acsellers

So I felt like ME1 was something truly special, and ME2/ME3 were terrible followups in plot and sometimes characters. The more I think about it, 2 and 3 weren't that far off in terms of plot, they were just sophomoric. With a slightly adjustment here and there, they could have kept nearly all of their themes and events, but stayed on the rails that ME1 set up...

First off, you don't need to kill Shepherd in ME2. Skip the Cerberus stuff and just transfer everyone to a Black Budget organization. You can have your "ends justify the means" and Illusive Man and grey actions. You can even have Cerberus be a PMC-alike that handles some dirty jobs in secret, and you have to team up with them at certain times to get things done. But by using the black budget organization as the sponsor, it becomes siginifacantly easier to justify all sorts of things. Make the Council afraid to work with you publicly because the Sovereign attack has spawned a bunch of doomsday cults and that the black budget department does shady things.

The Collectors are pretty salvageable too. They're a reclusive species that has come to worship the Reapers (though nobody knows about the worship thing until most of the way through ME2). Since they only show up every few centuries at the Citadel, nobody thought to mention them to you in ME1. They're trying to figure out where Sovereign came from to unlock the door for their gods. They're stealing colonies because they were attracted to settle on top of Reaper artifacts. So they steal the colonists to analyze the brain patterns which were changed by the artifacts. At the end of the game, you make it to a Reaper Base where the Collectors are sending out the signal. You fight the weird monster who is a ground assault Reaper weapon. It's incomplete, but it's awake which means you failed to stop the Collectors.

At the end, you've got the Reaper Base to analyze for secret tech and weaknesses. You've set up the inevitable conflict for ME3 when the Reapers arrive. You've gone grey in morality by joining the "ends justify the means" department. You can even keep the Indoctrination plot in ME3 by justifying that the Reapers hide some tech on upcoming sentient worlds after they've exterminated the current crop of sentient beings and that it's trying to prepare the species for assimilation.

Now for ME3. Let's start by saying that only an advance guard of Reapers arrive (which is plenty to keep the fleets busy). So it's really bad, but not actually Apocalypse and they're more interested in seeing what the current war resources of the species are. Maybe have them on a path through different worlds ending up at Earth, so the war goes on and you can keep the end battle on Earth. The Reapers move the Citadel to Earth to transfer back to dark space to report their findings. Depending on how you got war supplies, that will determine how badly Earth was destroyed. Keep the Crucible Macguffin, but find it in the Reaper Base at the end of ME2. There should be questline to figure out how to activate it in ME3. The Normandy flies in just at the right time and uses it at to warp to the Mass Effect Transfer Point. Shepherd leaves to investigate the surface and meets the ending-o-tron. Before going down to meet with Star Child, the different people on Normandy should give their opinion on what Shepherd should do. Maybe do some conversations before the Normandy enters the Crucible too.

• Destroy the Transfer Point to deactivate the Mass Effect system, this will save countless lives from the Reapers since they cannot enter the galaxy anymore, but no more instant travel times. Also destroying the Transfer Point involves crashing the Normandy it, so everyone dies. Ending is narrated by Udina about charting a new course for humanity.
    • Join the Reaper consciousness, Shepherd will lead the crew into the shared consciousness of the Reapers. Explain that the Reapers are here to take everyone to a higher state of being where they will coexist with millions of years of other sentient races, but you lose your individuality. Ending is narrated by Reaper/Sovereign about a new successful harvest.
    • Shoot the messenger, where the Normandy will be destroyed then Shepherd will die. Mortal beings don't get to talk to gods like that. Ending is narrated by Anderson about a losing war with the Reapers and Shepherd going MIA.
    • Pray for clemency, Reorder the Reapers priority to start with the other species's planets. This will mean that Asari, Turians, etc get harvested soon. Ending is narrated by Illusive Man about humanity and a ship going to Andromeda to preserve humanity.
    • Destroy the Reapers, rewire the Mass Effect junctions to send the Reapers into a black hole, this will destroy them completely. You'll save your friends and keep the Mass Effect system, but you'll kill a quadrillion mind consciousness that's existed for millions of years. Ending is narrated by Shepherd about sacrifices and personal freedom.

I guess I don't really disagree with 80-90% or more of ME2 and ME3, I just feel the justifications for some events were terrible. I wouldn't even hate the ending of ME3 if it was a bit different, with a fifth "hero" choice (that made you the worst mass murderer ever). Also, the endings needed to be more distinct, having different narrators talking about the different events would do that.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen. If you prefer ME1, you are not, I repeat NOT a precious snowflake. You aren't one of the few, you're one of the many. Yet every time this question comes up you feel the need to act like you have some unique, unpopular opinion. You don't.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@hippie_genocide said:

Listen. If you prefer ME1, you are not, I repeat NOT a precious snowflake. You aren't one of the few, you're one of the many. Yet every time this question comes up you feel the need to act like you have some unique, unpopular opinion. You don't.

This made me laugh pretty hard.

But yes. If this poll shows anything, it would seem that the special snowflakes are the ones who loved the Mass Effect 3 ending, and can't understand why everyone else doesn't love it alongside them.

Also, with only 24 percent of people hating the ending of Mass Effect 3, it would seem that BioWare really dropped the ball with that game altogether, considering only FIVE percent of people consider that their favorite ME game. When only five percent of your audience thinks your latest product is better than either of your first two, you screwed up. That game had issues.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first is my favorite, it really set up a world that I thought was pretty special. It felt like when Star Trek was at it's best. Neither of the sequels made me feel the way the first did, but I still enjoyed them. And I think they improved on some of the characters too. Liara went from a super naive child to a can hold her own woman by the end of three for me. So that was cool.
    I also don't want to sound like I'm under selling them, I'm just saying if ME1 is a 10/10 for me, ME2 and 3 are like, an 8/10. Very good, just not quite there.

Absolutely loved & adored ME1. That game invested me in the universe & the fiction in a big bad way. I don't know if I've ever felt game-hype like I did in the gulf between ME1 & ME2. Despite some issues, mostly of my own expectations, I enjoyed ME2 & ME3. Sadly each sequel took the series further away from what got me excited in the first place. I now see that I'm just a big fan of ME1 rather than a big fan of the ME franchise.

It's a moot point now, but I wish they had let go of Shepard after the first game. Focusing everything on a single protagonist really made that universe feel small & clockwork to me. For what it's worth, I really hope fans enjoy Andromeda!

Seeing as how Andromeda is ditching Shepard, do you find yourself excited for that one? Will you play it? Or is finding out you're an ME1 fan enough to make you not really care?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glad to see the popular opinion is the correct one. ME2, ride or die. potential realized- sorry if the truth is is #2real.

everyone else is on drugs.

(i played them all and like them all for different reasons. but srsly, that ME2 tho.)

Lydian_Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@zolroyce said:

Seeing as how Andromeda is ditching Shepard, do you find yourself excited for that one? Will you play it? Or is finding out you're an ME1 fan enough to make you not really care?

The Andromeda footage released so far hasn't done much for me, but a new trailer is coming out tomorrow so maybe that will get me on-board? I'm quite excited by the premise of Andromeda, an opportunity to break free of any baggage from the previous arc, to start something new. Mass Effect is an IP you could tell a thousand stories with, so I hope they challenge our ideas about what a Mass Effect game can be and really make Andromeda feel like its own thing.

This thread actually prompted me to go back and play some ME1, which I don't think I've touched since 2011. The KOTOR influence looms large in ME1, it's something I love about that game, even if it makes for a somewhat clunky game-play experience. From 2017, it stands out quite starkly that ME1 was trying to be an RPG first and a third-person shooter second, while its successors reversed that dynamic. There's nothing wrong with that, ME2/3 are still great games, it just makes ME1 feel very unique as a result.

Right now it's pretty accepted that all shooters have some sort of RPG-like upgrade mechanic in them, so I fear that Mass Effect going further and further down an action/shooter road only makes its appeal more grey. For me, Mass Effect is most exciting when I'm standing at the galaxy map looking at a system of potential experiences rather than racing into cover so I can fight off another wave of cyborgs.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I will certainly admit that the character stuff is less dynamic in 1 but as I expressed, I preferred that to an extent. And I also stated that not only looking back after playing the sequels but also returning to the original, it remains my favorite in the franchise by far.

As for the best playing, it absolutely is for me. ME2 and 3 played quite differently from the first game. Was the aiming as smooth? Maybe not. Are there things about the core mechanics you could argue are better in 2 and 3? Sure. I still prefer the way ME1 plays in most ways and absolutely as a whole. I never had an issue with the shooting mechanics and enjoyed leveling those up to be more capable, etc. How a game feels and plays isn't objective. Some prefer 2 and 3's gameplay, I don't. I think it's more fun to play ME1 than any other entry in the franchise so far. I liked the combat more thanks to the mechanics, abilities, etc. Of course it's subjective, but that means some people can validly prefer the original's feel over the sequels.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#91  Edited By StarvingGamer

Multiplayer was super duper fun. One of my favorite coop multiplayer experiences in gaming by far.

Also ME3 was my favorite game by far. I felt like they swung way too hard towards action in ME2 and ME3 struck a better balance between action and RPG. Also I had zero problems with the ending of ME3. Maybe it's because I played both ME1 and 2 through twice, but it was pretty clear how ME handled different choices so I knew what to expect from the ending. I don't mind the extended cut but it also felt mostly unnecessary. It didn't provide any new information that wasn't already heavily implied, although the little "where are they now" vignettes for the various races was appreciated.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I will certainly admit that the character stuff is less dynamic in 1 but as I expressed, I preferred that to an extent. And I also stated that not only looking back after playing the sequels but also returning to the original, it remains my favorite in the franchise by far.

As for the best playing, it absolutely is for me. ME2 and 3 played quite differently from the first game. Was the aiming as smooth? Maybe not. Are there things about the core mechanics you could argue are better in 2 and 3? Sure. I still prefer the way ME1 plays in most ways and absolutely as a whole. I never had an issue with the shooting mechanics and enjoyed leveling those up to be more capable, etc. How a game feels and plays isn't objective. Some prefer 2 and 3's gameplay, I don't. I think it's more fun to play ME1 than any other entry in the franchise so far. I liked the combat more thanks to the mechanics, abilities, etc. Of course it's subjective, but that means some people can validly prefer the original's feel over the sequels.

Of course you can. But 'feel' isn't entirely subjective. It's just a fact that the combat in 2 and especially in 3 on top of that, has tremendously more mechanical competence, depth and nuance than in the original. That doesn't mean you can't still like playing it the best.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#93  Edited By Tom_omb

Mass Effect 2 is the best of them. It focused on the greatest stength of the series: the characters. Also I didn't like the micromanaging of each of your party members' armor in the first game. I welcomed the streamlining of systems in the sequel. But I still enjoyed the game as a whole, a lackluster ending doesn't retroactively make the rest of the game bad.

I usually don't play multiplayer games, but I ended up playing a handful of matches with a friend and enjoyed it.

I'd say I landed somewhere in between hating the ending of 3 and thinking it was okay. The game wasn't great at presenting itself. I was confused and searched online just to reread the huge dialogue dump. That's when I first found out about the controversy.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ok, here is my opinion:

Mass Effect 1 has the better pacing and story, but Mass Effect 2 is a better game. Mass Effect 3 plays a lot like 2, but its writing is not as good as 1 and 2 (and no, I am not talking about the ending. The setting had issues before the last mission).

I played the multiplayer of 3 to get enough points for the "true ending". It was decent, although I had little reason to play more of it after I got my favorite race (soldier Krogan for the win).

I wasn't super pissed for the ending of 3, but I could see it had problems. As I said before, the writing had issues that predated the last few minutes... I did predicted it months before the game release, so it only seemed logical. However, I was extremely disappointed at the community for all that raging and at Bioware for bending down and shoehorning a patch that felt dumb by comparison.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Nah dude, maybe the aiming is better in later titles but I had no issue with the starting accuracy of weapons. Beyond that there isn't anything that makes it a "fact" that it handles better, at least on PC. Maybe there were issues with controller stuff between games if you played on consoles? My most recent memories are from PC for all those games.

grenadeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By grenadeh

There's a thread that's 5 years old or so that i really wanted to necro but fought the urge.

Simply put, ME1 is the best Mass Effect game, conceptually. The problem is that actually playing Mass Effect 1 is an infuriating exercise in insanity. I first played through on PC and so the only issues I encountered were with the actual game itself, but I started a playthrough on Xbox One to get the achievements and just ugh, I hate this game

The Mako is so fucking terrible. It's just fucking awful. There is no consistency whatsoever to the control scheme and it's entirely dependent on camera. I've literally gotten stuck for a solid 30 seconds of not being able to move in any useful way. The repair function also literally doesn't work. I have repair charges. I mash Y, nothing repairs. I mean I've literally died on the lava planet trying to get to Liara like 10 times today and only one of them was outside the Mako. And these issues existed in the PC version too, don't get me wrong. The only issue that didn't exist on PC was the poor framerate, as the game obviously runs fine with all 4k texture mods and graphics overhauls.

The auto-save system is so incompetent. It will save every time you switch areas in say, the Citadel, but not only will it not autosave when you pass checkpoints in that same lava level, but it won't even let you manually save until right before you fight a bunch of Geth on foot. And that certainly isn't the only instance of it being trash. As others have mentioned before, it also runs like complete turd on Xbox. I think the problem is that this game was designed for PC and they didn't bother turning anything down, instead just porting it to Xbox originally. I fear to see the other titles on console.

There's also the fact that the combat is totally incompetent and you spend a lot of the early game with your party members flat out dying, regardless of their equipment or skills or biotics or upgrades. Usually short before you die as well.

Mass Effect 1 is still the best, despite all those issues, as it actually had an illusion of exploration and freedom. ME2 and 3 force you into pre-defined levels at all points in the game where you can't explore anything and are also being attacked by 30000 enemies which prevents you from exploring even if you could. But ME2 definitely fixed the combat issues in all ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.