Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Anyone still playing Mass Effect 1?

• 91 results
    SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By SkinnyBlue

I know it's been a year since Mass Effect 2 came out [at least on the 360 and PC], but I still find myself going back to ME 1 to make different decisions and attempt to play differently just to see if I missed anything that can carry over into Mass Effect 2. So I guess my question is, am I just crazy? Has anyone else found themselves constantly going back to Mass Effect 1 to see if you may have missed even a minor detail that could trigger something in Mass Effect 2?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I went back to it because it was a better game.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aronman789

I tried to go back and make a new character to go through both games with, but couldn't get pass the Mako missions

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mattbosten

Went back to it recently to finish up the last few achievements I needed (Insanity playthrough and Pinnacle Station), also set up my playthrough for ME2. Should be starting ME2 soon.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

I played through it 6 times so I'm pretty sick of it honestly 

I've done everything possible and seen every possible scenario with different classes and genders, nothing new there anymore 

Though I wouldn't be surprised if I played it again in a couple of years

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

I think I am going to pick it up this summer and start fresh with a "main" to carry through me2 for ME3

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planning a Paragon run through both games some time soon. 

Lucreforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Lucreforte

I'm still playing, but only for the completionist soul within me. I'm currently getting my ass handed to me on my insanity run.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blueaniman93

i plan on replaying it two more times to get the rest of the achievements (the squadmate ones)  and the insanity difficulty one 
            and i kind want a perfect save for me2 and me3 
             and then im gonna replay me2 and get a perfect save there

SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SkinnyBlue
    @Aronman789: I have the same problem with the Mako, it controls awkwardly and the uncharted planets you drive it around on are usually bland and overly difficult to navigate. I think that's easily the worst part of Mass Effect 1. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Andorski

I've been trying to, but the shooter controls of the first one are so inferior that I might end up buying the PS3 version so I can use the comic to make my decisions from ME1.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I went back to it because it was a better game. "
    SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SkinnyBlue
    @Andorski: Agreed, the combat in ME 1 definitely makes it hard to go back after playing 2. 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Jayross
    @ajamafalous
    I went back to it because it was a better game.
    AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By AndyPhifer

Nope. But, I plan on going back after the series is over. I wanted to, as much as I possibly can, have a pure playthrough of the series. So no spoilers, no looking at guides to see what the best choice is, etc. So with that in mind, I don't want to play ME1 a second time, especially knowing some of the things that happen in ME2 with some of the alien races you encounter. I want my game and my choices to be my decision based purely on what I thought at the time. 

Once it is all over, I'll go back and do it the fun way :-)

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mr_faraday
    @ajamafalous said:
    "I went back to it because it was a better game. "
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @ajamafalous said:
    Word.

Went back to it a little while ago just to finish up a few quests that I never got around to doing. Then I ended up losing my 50ish hour save :(
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Was Mass Effect 1 really the better game ?  Maybe you liked the story better which is a matter of taste but did you really enjoy the brain dead enemy A.I.,  the numerous vehicle sections,  the elevator rides,  and the all around jankiness better then Mass Effect 2 ? 

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By tourgen

I played thru it twice last year - an engineer and an adept.  Great time, lots of fun, great game.  Some things about that game are so much better than ME2 it hurts a little.  Other things are a little clunky.  Worst of the bunch is the planetary terrain and the party AI.  It's hilarious when a party member stands directly behind you and dumps full auto assault rifle into your back, nonstop, like you aren't even there.  Or they get confused, jump on top of the nearest box in full view and just stand there taking it hard from all sides.

Pickingwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pickingwings

Nope.  
    But I know a friend who just recently got into Mass Effect and had beaten it in a week.  His play time was somewhere around 55 hours, and he seems to be the only person that I know that actually liked mining.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Dalai

I just started playing it last week and I've been trying to soak as much in now as I can because I don't see myself going back. It's a great game and I'm having fun playing it despite some of the jank, but I'm pretty sure I'm going straight to Mass Effect 2 once it's over.

gold_n_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By gold_n_eye

Played it 5 times already, with the same class, still haven't tried the other classes, plus haven't done all the side missions, that game just doesn't get old. 

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Shabs
    @bartok said:
    " Was Mass Effect 1 really the better game ?  Maybe you liked the story better which is a matter of taste but did you really enjoy the brain dead enemy A.I.,  the numerous vehicle sections,  the elevator rides,  and the all around jankiness better then Mass Effect 2 ?  "
    I do prefer ME2, but I think there's something special about the story and setting of ME1 - it just feels more epic and the sense of discovery as you unravel mysteries and learn more about the world is so satisfying. 

I prefer ME2 because it plays better and I do like the new story structure but ME1 was such a great introduction to that sci-fi world and it's totally valid to prefer it.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through it 3 times right before ME2 came out.  I would play it more if I didn't have a bunch of other stuff to do.  Call me weird, but I loved the combat.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By jorbear
    @ajamafalous: Hehe... 
    Same. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I tried, but it's just too terrible to finish. Especially when shit like this kept happening. In my experience, it's a broken, buggy mess.

SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SkinnyBlue
    @TooWalrus:
    Oh yeah, haha that's totally happened to me before. Several times actually. One time I loaded up my game and the screen was nothing but  a big black void and I could run endlessly in any direction. It definitely has its share of glitches.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

Nah. I'd only ever go back if i wanted to import yet another Shepard. I've got 5 imported Shepard's in ME2 now, and I think that's were I'll call it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @SkinnyBlue:  Ha I'm not really trying to trigger anything to take into Mass Effect 2.

I'm just trying to get the S-Rank. I've been stopping and starting though Mass Effect 1 just trying to get all the achievements.

I like both games equally, but Mass Effect 1's controls and Mako segments make it hard to love.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Samaritan

Went back recently to start a new Shepard for ME3, starting from scratch. It's actually more playable than I reckoned it'd be after having finished Mass Effect 2 thrice already.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fullmetal5550

I bought Mass Effect 1 for my PC about two weeks ago. I have had it for my 360 for about two years now but I really wanted to try it on my computer.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
    @Lucreforte said:
    " I'm still playing, but only for the completionist soul within me. I'm currently getting my ass handed to me on my insanity run. "
    For some reason I found the insanity difficulty to be not as hard as I thought it would be. If you do a Game+ then it's quite easy but if you go new game then it's just challanging is some parts. 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By jeanluc

I still like doing a super playthough, where I start with a character in ME1 and then go into ME2 with the same character. 

Having played both the PC and Xbox 360 versions I can say that the PC version holds up way better. The Xbox version is still great though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy
    @bartok said:
    " Was Mass Effect 1 really the better game ?  Maybe you liked the story better which is a matter of taste but did you really enjoy the brain dead enemy A.I.,  the numerous vehicle sections,  the elevator rides,  and the all around jankiness better then Mass Effect 2 ?  "
    I had a much better time with it than I did ME2. I played through Me1 probably 3 or 4 times, I did every single goddam thing there is to do, collected the best weapons, maxed out my character. And I don't really refer to the AI as brain dead. Insanity was pretty challenging and it's not like the enemies in ME2 were much smarter. The Collectors were such a ridiculously stupid enemy to fight, you cannot deny that all they do is spam attacks and/or rush you. While sometimes the Geth weren't smart either, they were a funner enemy to fight and way less annoying than having a Harbinger leader in every group who would say the SAME THINGS over and over.  

The story and universe was way better than anything you'd find in ME2, which thrived on meaningless character side stories. While they were good in and of themself, at the end of the day when some of those characters died and even if they all survived, when the game is over, you really haven't accomplished much at all. You didn't even kill ONE freaking Reaper. OK, maybe a half built one but he doesn't count. 

As for the combat, I liked ME1 because it actually felt like an RPG - when I leveled my Pistol skill up one of the many ranks I could noticeable see a difference. The same goes for every other weapon, power and ability - you feel like you're actually developing a character. It's a joke to look at the effect of the ME2 Singularity and the ME1 Singularity, for example. At max skill, you have a Singularity spanning 8 meters in ME1 while if you opt for the "Wide" Singularity of ME2 you get only 3 meters, if you opt for it. Otherwise it's 1.75.  

Now that's just one example but this same case applies to every skill in the game. As for the actual aiming, I never understood peoples complaints.

So yeah those are just some off the top of my head reasons why I like ME1 better. 
    Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lepuke

Just recently started in on the PC version of ME 1 which I got from steam cheap during the holiday sales.  (I have completed both 1 and 2 previously on the 360)

I recently bought a 27" ASUS VE278Q monitor and  At 1920x1080 res 4xAA, 16x anisotropic filtering,  and few engine tweaks the game is pretty amazing to behold once again.

It is a bit of system shock though starting over, because the combat just feels harder than what I was used to by the end of ME 2.  It is not quite as streamlined and is just a bit more brutal.
    As far as the Mako areas go though, I still kinda like them in a sick sort of way. It all looks so great now on my PC setup you can kinda just get lost exploring despite the immense amount of time wasted while doing so... Just like I did when the game was fresh and a new experience.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By p_p_o_d

Finally got around to finishing it. 

picked it up over a year ago on steam.. played it to feros  and got bored on that mission and just moved on. 

desided to finish it a week or 2 ago.    

Its good.  love the universe and the whole choices thing and just talking to random people and being a jerk to get things done.  didnt really care for the combat, weaopon mod stuff and inventory management    

I space boned Ash... didnt care for the blue lady.   maybe that was because in the Pc version her face is all low rez but I like to think I just didnt like the character. 

the Mako controlls like a slightly better version of something out of Big Rigs.   dont know how to but it... it just doesnt feel good to control.

But yeah.  good game.  some problems but I will be picking up ME2 on ps3 when I finish AS:brotherhood.  
    Dahill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dahill

It's my game of the moment as of now. Made a joke out of Insanity with a level 60 adept plus Spectre weapons and Colossus armor for Shepard and all squadmates. 

Which is better? I dunno. The shooting is clearly better in the second game. The conversation/cutscene camera shots and overall feel and graphical presentation is much improved. The AI is improved. The weapon and upgrade management was ridiculous in the first one. Needlessly cluttered does not equal better. There were tons of upgrades, weapons, and armor to chose from, and I ended up using only about 4 of each in the end.

And the Mako was terrible. Thank you for killing it, Bioware. Don't complain about side-worlds being much smaller. All you're doing in side-worlds is traversing over boring, feature-less terrain for a while, only to get to a very small facility, which is another iteration of the same 3 basic buildings (the two floor structure, the underground research facility, the underground mine, I might've forgotten one). All boardable ships are the same. So what are you really losing with smaller, but more detailed worlds that are all unique from one another in Mass 2?

And the glitches. Oh my god, the glitches.

There are a few other things about 2, though.  SPOILER (not that you should be here if you haven't played both games) 

The story is probably better in the first game. Collectors look NOTHING AT ALL like genetically engineered descendants of Protheans. You'd think there would be a slight resemblance. The more I think of a human Reaper, the more it bothers me. And, of course, Shepard's death and resurrection is stretching it a bit. The first one had more of an actual story and relied less on shock value as the second one did.

I took issue with the inventory management in the first one. I'm sorry, apologists, you don't need 10 manufactures with 10 versions of every single weapon in the game. No. But I DO think they severely simplified it to the point where If I had a gun to my head and had to pick, I would actually choose the inventory management of the first one. The lack of customization kills me. The research upgrades were a nice way to get around that but, still. I could understand if people preferred the streamlined skills management of the second game but there's something oddly satisfying in fine-tuning your Shepard and his 'mates with such detail in the first game.

I maxed out my adept in Mass 2 and have since built a level 60 adept in Mass 1. Comparing the two, they took the balls out of biotics. It's a shame that Mass 2 definitely feels more shooterish and less RPG in that way. Remember when we could Lift an armature off the ground? Now biotics are worthless against regular enemies with multiple layers of defense. Stupid. 

I might say that 2 is still the better game. But it's not that big a difference to me as it is for others. That's the end of my ramble, I'm sorry.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:
    Yup.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45

I'll play it, ME2, and ME3 in order after I've beaten ME3 for the first time. I still consider it the superior game storywise, but ME2 is better at basically everything else, so it's hard to go back too.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm in the middle of a super paragon playthrough of ME1 at the moment and plan to go right into ME2 after. After that I'll probably do a super renegade to get ready for ME3 this fall. I also need to go back and playthough Dragon Age: Origins to get ready for Dragon Age 2. This is going to take awhile.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By AndrewB

I went and played through it again on a whim, marathonning through 1 and 2. No, you're not crazy. 

'T was a somewhat painful process, too. I don't think Mass Effect has aged well at all. I couldn't disagree more with the people insisting it's the better game. Even if you have a personal preference for the somewhat more RPG-ish approach of inventory management and weapon and armor upgrades, the rest of the game feels so dull and tedious in comparison to the sequel. As someone who didn't mind all the Mako stuff on my original playthrough of the game, this time I was cursing my OCD tendencies because playing through every single side mission was making me want to stop playing the game entirely. Driving across barren worlds with only a few scattered, brainless enemies and some salvage hidden in the far corner of the map... such a waste of time. Of course, they made the same mistake by putting in the resource gathering mini-game in the second. That was only a touch less annoying.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrKlorox

Went back to it to finish my renegade playthrough just recently after trying to start ME2 again. Man I wish there was a save file crafter so I could properly replicate my 360 ME1 run on PC for import into ME2. Yeah I know of masseffectsaves.com, but none of those are close enough to either of my playthroughs.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Brendan

Beat it 4 times, I'm done.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jayross

ME1 Story > ME2 Story

Dahill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dahill

After I get a decent amount of achievements with my Adept, I'll probably end up doing a flat-out Paragon run and then full Renegade.  Then play the game in that gray area, having fun with it while using the Lorik Quin glitch to run up both Red and Blue actions and import all of them to ME2. After that, I'll be done with ME1 for a very very long time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Aronman789 said:
    " I tried to go back and make a new character to go through both games with, but couldn't get pass the Mako missions "
    There is like nothing wrong with them. People are crazy.
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fullmetal5550

I bought Mass Effect 1 for my PC about three weeks ago and have been playing it non-stop. I already own it on my 360.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By napalm
    @Dany said:

" I think I am going to pick it up this summer and start fresh with a "main" to carry through me2 for ME3 "

This is what I did roughly two or three months ago. I got rid of all of my final save files and characters and decided to stick with a main renegade male and a paragon female. 

@TooWalrus said: 

" I tried, but it's just too terrible to finish. Especially when shit like this kept happening. In my experience, it's a broken, buggy mess. "

Sorry brah, I've put in at least sixty hours into Mass Effect and I've never come across that. EVER. The only noticeable bug is to avoid getting hit by Matriarch Benezia in the beginning of her fight as it freezes your character.    
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Trebz

I've been slowly working through a second playthrough lately because I wanted to see what the Renegade path was like for myself instead of just downloading a Renegade save and loading it in ME2. It's still a great game and the Mako missions are actually pretty satisfying in a "to-do-list" kind of way. I can't help but do them even though I know that whatever bonus having a high-level Shepard save gives in ME2, it'll be largely unnoticeable.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By CenturionCajun

The Mako missions are a great idea executed quite poorly in most cases. For whatever reason seemingly every planet you land on in Mass Effect is covered in incredibly steap and jagged mountain ranges. This makes navigation a magnitude more annoying. While it's fun to drive up the side of a mountain range the first dozen times or so after awhile it becomes a chore. Especially when you're as video game OCD as me and have to collect every mineral and item on every planet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.