Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Anyone still playing Mass Effect 1?

• 91 results
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You should get Mass Effect 2 for the PC that way you can download other peoples' saves.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By sopachuco13

I just started playing it again. I never finished my first play though. I want to finish this one and then do some research into whether to buy the 360 version or PS3 version of the second one. I really want to beat it this time so I am playing through on casual.
    Ford_Prefect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Ford_Prefect

Just today started a serious playthrough. Man, people were right - that mako reallly does suck!

honeycut1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By honeycut1

I still need to finish up the first Mass Effect

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I went back to it because it was a better game. "
    I think I'm already following you, but if I wasn't, I would be now. 

I love the original game. It had so much more depth to the gameplay, had a more cohesive story line, and runs/looks great even today on a good PC.@bartok said:
    " Was Mass Effect 1 really the better game ?  Maybe you liked the story better which is a matter of taste but did you really enjoy the brain dead enemy A.I.,  the numerous vehicle sections,  the elevator rides,  and the all around jankiness better then Mass Effect 2 ?  "
    Mass Effect was unique. It had a very deep set of mechanics, all of which were fleshed out really well. Some were overboard (Inventory management was TERRIBLE), but it was a deeper, more cohesive game. Mass Effect 2 was just a shooter with a few basic abilities thrown in there, and a really disconnected, unimportant story. You go from saving the galaxy to saving small colonies of a single race. And a lot of the things Shepard and Co. do in ME2 fly in the face of what a lot of people's original Shepards stood for. The AI isn't any better, just better shots, which has little to do with the complexity of the AI, and the friendly AI isn't different at all, they just fudge the numbers to make them capable of hitting a target.
    captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By captain_max707

Yes

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By foggel
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I went back to it because it was a better game. "
    Gameplay wise?
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By Gerhabio

I like Mass Effect 2 better but I'm currently going through ME 1. The Mako fucking sucks.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By GnaTSoL

Tried playing ME1 so I could jump into ME2 with progression but............ ME1 is the biggest pile of dodo I've ever seen. Sooo bad I gave up on the ME series. I wasn't going to play part 2 without going through the first one.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By keyhunter

I've got one more playthrough to do for the Asari Ally achievement. But playing through the game for the 8th time for 20 points doesn't seem very productive. I'll get it eventually though.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By SBYM

Just got a copy a couple of hours ago. So, yeah, I'm playing it.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#62  Edited By ThePickle

Fuck that. I barely got through it the first time. And that was only to have an import for ME2. I never want to touch that game again. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Dany

I started a renegade play through. ME1 still holds up, fantastic achievement in games

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SBYM

Finished my first playthrough earlier today, or, I guess that would be yesterday now. About half an hour later I started a New Game + and beat the game again in about 4 hours by just hammering the X button through all the conversations; a shame I can't skip the cutscenes as well. Feels weird to finish a Bioware RPG in less time than it took me beat Call of Duty 4 my first time, even if I already knew where to go and what to do, not that I'm really complaining about that. I'm actually thinking of doing a third playthrough tonight in hopes of getting to level 60, since I'm at 51 right now. Once I get there, I'll start a new career and try a different class. It's doubtful I'll go for the Insane achievement, but who knows, right now my soldier class is absolutely ripping through everything without even coming close to dying, aside from when a Thresher Maw decided to surface directly underneath the Mako; sadface.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By evilrazer

A friend of mine played through it couple of month ago before playing ME2.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

I still play Mass Effect (and plan to play it again) because it's better than Mass Effect 2.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Dingofighter

After spending about 80 hours on the PC version, then getting all the achievements on the 360 version, I feel like I've kinda done everything in that game... 

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By zungerman090

Playing it at the moment actually. Still hate the Mako. Really don't know who to leave at Virmirie. Kaidan is cool and all, but Ashley just HAD to mention her family. Damn it

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Dany

'officially" I have two shepards. Female paragon and a male renegade. I had to replay my male renegade through ME1 because some decisions he made were not that evil

It is still a great game to replay. Virmire and Ilos are still fucking great and the combat made it easy on casual(15 hours in total for everything)

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70  Edited By PerryVandell

I've gone back to it when I've had the time. It's just I like to do almost everything in the game so a single playthrough can become a significant time-sink.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FesteringNeon

This is the first time I've ever played a Mass Effect game.. (steam sale) .. and I know i'm super late to the party, but man... I see now why.. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!  (excuse me, just played 14 hours straight) : /

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Dany
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " I've gone back to it when I've had the time. It's just I like to do almost everything in the game so a single playthrough can become a significant time-sink. "
    I did that over the course of what...4 weekends.

Totaled to 16 hours when speeding through the dialogue and on casual
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By ajamafalous

I was about to comment in this thread, but then I saw that my comment was the first reply.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By Marz

I played it like 3 times through before Mass Effect 2 came out.  I think i'm satisfied for now.   Maybe i'll play it again when Mass Effect 3 is about to come out, just to refresh the story in my mind.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Daveyo520

Kinda, I need to play through it again on the 360.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#76  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've played through it twice, and that's all the times I need to play through it. The idea that anyone could get the full S rank in this game baffles me to no end, mostly because of how totally and horrendously boring all the side content is.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By phish09

I'm gonna play through this at least once more before ME3 comes out.  Totally customize my experience for my first playthrough of 3. 

I've played through the first Mass Effect 7 times, but yet not once since Mass Effect 2 came out.  I got pretty good at the original.  My last playthrough totaled 3 1/2 hours from beginning to end.  You can just rip through the story missions on any difficulty if you have a fully leveled up character.  I love those games so much.  I can't wait to play through them again nearer the end of this year.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SBYM
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I've played through it twice, and that's all the times I need to play through it. The idea that anyone could get the full S rank in this game baffles me to no end, mostly because of how totally and horrendously boring all the side content is. "
    If you want to get the Achievements for completing the majority of the game, then it's pretty easy to just hammer the X button through all dialogue. Once you've completed the game the first time, you're so powerful that you barely need to pay attention during combat. I got all the ally Achievements over the course of a week or so by kind of half-ass playing while listening to music/podcasts or talking on the phone.

Granted, that doesn't say a whole lot for Mass Effect as a game that I had to do other stuff while playing to keep from falling asleep, but still, it doesn't take much effort. The games only a few hours long, even when doing almost everything, so long as you blaze through all the talkin' parts.
    bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By bkbroiler

I'm replaying it right now. I'm trying to speed through everything as fast as possible so I can import into ME2 with a different playthrough. I honestly don't know if it's worth it... I'm not having that much fun.

Also, the renegade path seems to not leave many left to come back in the sequel, at least from what I've read. Almost doesn't seem worth it, except for a few big decisions (though I'm killing the Rachni, and that just means they won't be there anymore... so is it even going to be interesting to see the difference?).

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Azteck

Was thinking about picking it up on the PC for a 9th playthrough, yeah. Already have it on the xbox but my PC is so much better that I'd prefer it like that.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By emem

I'm thinking about playing through it for the first time, but I'm a bit afraid that I'll be annoyed by some things, because I've already finished ME2 two times. I'm sure it's a great game though.

DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DoctorLazy

It's a bummer that instead of making the vehicle easier to use for those who (inexplicably) had trouble with it they just removed exploration from the second and, I assume, third game. The exploration made the "world" feel huge, and most the planets are really distinct feeling. Admittedly the side missions could have used more variety in content and design.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#83  Edited By RichieJohn

@Andorski said:

I've been trying to, but the shooter controls of the first one are so inferior that I might end up buying the PS3 version so I can use the comic to make my decisions from ME1.

You can get the comic on the 360.

I love ME1 I've probably completed it about 10 times now. Definatly my favourite game on the 360.

I played mainly as an adept/vangaurd so I really didn't see a problem with the shooting. I actually prefer the power system in ME1 as you can use more powers more frequently.

What's the big deal with the mako missions? It works fine for what you need to do with it.

jwebb1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jwebb1111

I want to go back because I need to save Wrex and have him in ME 2 for me. I was nice to him when he was getting angry so I'm not sure how to keep him from getting killed. Can I revert to a previous save and somehow keep him from dying, then recomplete the rest of the game? Do I need a certain charm level?

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#85  Edited By Delphic

I'm hoofing it through 2 right now, but when I finish that and 3 when it comes out I'm going to go back and do a massive play through of all three games. I really underestimated just how awesome the story and the game itself for that matter really is. It actually is quite a bit of fun when you finally become a spectre.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By NTM

No. I'm all ready for three now fortunately. There's only one small mistake that I regret and couldn't fix after it was done for my third ME play through. This is an old thread by now, but whatever.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I've... uh... never played it.

I have both games with all the DLC and I'll get around to them eventually, promise.

Vinehorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Vinehorn

I just finished playing ME1 (2nd play-thru) last week. Made it to 59. I tried to get to 60 but it wasn't happening.

I wanted to make sure that I played ME1 and ME2 (at least 2 plays each) before hitting ME3.

I just started ME2 this week. I'm very happy that I played ME1 at least 2x. It was totally worth it. I was a little reluctant to play ME1 because folks dissed the gameplay controls. Now I realize that those folks probably went to Disney World (ME2) before visiting Disney Land (ME1). If all you know is Disney Land (ME1) then the gameplay is pretty dope.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been meaning to play through it again, I've played through it three times already, was going to go for a fourth but I'm playing Persona 3 right now.

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jondan

I fired it up to start a renegade FemShep. The Genesis DLC for ME2 was an option, but I think I'd rather play ME1 in its entirety and get the full experience.

Have already punched out a civilian, and pulled a gun on and extorted some others for material gain. Giving Williams lip for being incompetent and losing the rest of her squad on Eden Prime was amusing also.

Renegade FemShep is going to do well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#91  Edited By Justin258

Ancient thread.

Despite all of the not-so-great aging, I do plan to replay it at some point. But not now. I've been dicking around with Dragon Age Origins for months now, and I want to finish it. The same for KOTOR. If I'm not on Bioware overload by then, I'll do my Mass Effect replay then.

Strangely enough, after finishing ME1 the second time I immediately bought the comic book thingy so I'd never have to replay the first game again. To this very day, I've never actually used it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.