Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Mass Effect another terrible overrated game.

• 63 results
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By CL60
    Hagzor said:
    "Omg someone has opinion about a game, lets all jump on him .. Anywho I also didn't like Mass Effect when I first played and most of the  points TC had were the same problems I had with it.  Then I wen't back to it after playing kotor and did enjoy it little more. I think Mass Effect is just one of them games were people will either love it or hate it to death "

Don't you just hate it when somebody says a game sucks when the clearly just dislike the genre as a whole, than compare it with games of a completely different genre?  Also the person I just quoted, you are a moron...learn to read. He clearly is just saying this because he does not like the genre at all. So if you dislike the genre, why even bother saying a game of that genre sucks so much and it is overrated. This isj ust another example of the term overrated being used as a scapegoat to say "BAHHH I didn't like this game so other people should not like it either!"
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7d0bf21daac
    deactivated-5d7d0bf21daac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

CL60 said:
    "Hagzor said:
    "Omg someone has opinion about a game, lets all jump on him .. Anywho I also didn't like Mass Effect when I first played and most of the  points TC had were the same problems I had with it.  Then I wen't back to it after playing kotor and did enjoy it little more. I think Mass Effect is just one of them games were people will either love it or hate it to death "
    Don't you just hate it when somebody says a game sucks when the clearly just dislike the genre as a whole, than compare it with games of a completely different genre?  Also the person I just quoted, you are a moron...learn to read. He clearly is just saying this because he does not like the genre at all. So if you dislike the genre, why even bother saying a game of that genre sucks so much and it is overrated. This isj ust another example of the term overrated being used as a scapegoat to say "BAHHH I didn't like this game so other people should not like it either!""
    Where in his post did he say people should'nt like that game either? Sorry but I can't see anything like that  so learn to read youself mate ;). Also you shouldn't generalize someone just because they hate a game,  its pretty clear he dislikes Bioware  but does that mean he hates all rpgs?
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By OmegaPirate

This reminds me of levios thread where he said he didnt like Too human because it was a sci-fi game and levios didnt like that but he did like being in a cave with a torch and orcs and a sword so too human sucked.

This thread is just as retarded
    C1t1z3nMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By C1t1z3nMac

LOL, anyone who expected to get a shooter out of Mass Effect is obviously gonna hate it. ME did have some issues with its combat system, but overall it was a pretty good game (although not the best Bioware has put out by far, obv.). But to say that Bioware does badly written games with cliched stories is like saying pizza tastes terrible; that's laughable. :P

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By TheHBK

So many spelling and grammar mistakes, its no wonder you dont like these games, it takes you a fucking year to read a book, or for that matter, I don't think you read.  Either you like JRPGs which are very different or you just suck at games.  For one, you are talking about how you can't tilt the cannon of the rover, you are wrong, because you can.  It just doesnt work like a turret in Halo.  Also you hate KOTOR because it was just talking and crappy combat?  That is the point of RPGs, story, where people talk to each other, and the combat was more strategic than mashing a button.
    There are some classic moments in Mass Effect, like when you can choose to beat down Wrex and blast his brains out.  Fucking awesome when I did that.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Green_Incarnate

About the combat. I'll admit that I had more fun using special abilities than actually firing a gun (Although the shotgun was pretty good). But, those abilities are what saved the combat in my opinion. In the next Mass Effect I hope they make those powers crucial to battle, while still having them be unique for each character class.

And, Mass Effect's main storyline was really good. It's just when you try to explore the content outside that main quest when Mass Effect falters. Copy and paste quest locations made getting those "complete the majority of the game with this character" achievements extra difficult. It felt like I was grinding at that point.

Also, menus. I'm trying to remember back why I hated them so much. I just remember them having issues.

Overall, not my favorite Bioware game, but most definitely good enough to have a place on my shelf.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By End_Boss

Oh my god. We are fucking fighting, dude.

Ever been socked by a level 56 Vanguard? I don't think you have.
    Ever been socked by a level 56 Vanguard? I don't think you have.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RsistncE

Here's an idea people....just because he doesn't think that Bioware is the god of all developers doesn't mean he's wrong. This is his opinion. It would be one thing if you disagreed politely and said why you liked it. Instead many have taken the high road of doucheyness and decided to berate him for his opinion. You know what, I have Mass Effect, haven't played it yet, but seriously fuck you guys and fuck your game if it means you're gonna act like Cunty McCuntersons to anyone that doesn't like it.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Lowbrow

Maybe its not your cup of tea, but Mass Effect was awesome.

You really need to WANT to know about the universe that Bioware has created to fully appreciate the game.

If you're not the type of person who wants to read about the universe and get really immersed in the game, then yea, its not going to be for you.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By Lowbrow

Maybe its not your cup of tea, but Mass Effect was awesome.

You really need to WANT to know about the universe that Bioware has created to fully appreciate the game.

If you're not the type of person who wants to read about the universe and get really immersed in the game, then yea, its not going to be for you.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By the8bitNacho

I was going to read the OP, but I couldn't get past the run-on sentences.

Mass Effect was sub-par from a gameplay standpoint, but that's not really why most people play BioWare games.  Most played through the game for the story, which was fleshed out and fantastic.  Obviously if you're not into storytelling in games, you shouldn't have bothered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I am torn: As a Sci-Fi-fan I was very impressed by the fleshed out universe and society including religion and racism - it's actual Sci-Fi and not starwarsy fantasy stuff (which is fine, but not Sci-Fi). I loved listening to and reading all that information. There's practically a whole novel in there, and not a bad one at all. I even liked jumping and driving around in the MACO and kicking ass with it's huge gun. Yes, it's totally planet-grinding, but I didn't mind that.

However, as a gamer, I was underwhelmed. Where is the fun, really? Apparently there is a ban on humor in the ME-galaxy. All you get is coolly sarcasm and cynicism. It's ironic how inhuman and shallow this game seems because of that, given it's all about humanity. And don't get me started about that love story, it's absolutely cheesy (at least the Liara one). Also, the game is too short, there are far too few "normal" sidequests besides hopping around planet X and clearing out generic hideout Y. Remember the quest that started with a rigged gaming table and ended in a confrontation with a suicidal computer-AI (James T. Kirk would be proud)? Now that's a fun sidequest.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CharlieTuna

I love Mass Effect, I'm on my third playthrough right now but I'll admit that the game has some serious flaws. The OP is way to harsh though.

- First off I 100% agree about the Mako segments of the game, that stupid car has awful controls and the gameplay during those segments is just not fun.
    - The worlds you explore seem dead and boring unless you do a main story mission. They need to be fleshed out and tell their own stories. Feels like a missed opportunity. There are a very few good side missions.
    - The AI does tend to bug out a few times. However when it's good it's an awesome tactical shooter.
    - The autosave is broken. This can not be argued.

Despite all that I'm still in love with the game, it's offers a unique universe with a great story (I really don't seem the OP's problem here), deep combat, fantastic setting and great sense of style. I also love the little UI tweeks like not having to worry about ammo or picking stufff up from dead soldiers, not having a clone of the typical rpg formula of Mana and spells. A few improvements and ME2 could be one of the best games ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.